Remind you of anything?

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Bandit72

Remind you of anything?

#1 Post by Bandit72 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:37 am

Just the fist 1 minute 15. SURELY Jane's should take some credit for the inspiration?

Hokahey
Site Admin

Re: Remind you of anything?

#2 Post by Hokahey » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:04 am

Bandit72 wrote:Just the fist 1 minute 15. SURELY Jane's should take some credit for the inspiration?

A drum line? :noclue:

ellis

#3 Post by ellis » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:45 am

This "everyone with a drum!!" thing is getting played out.

There was a opening band I saw recently called Royal Teeth. (something like that). It seemed like every song had a section for this... but the novelty of it wore off after two songs.

I've noticed a lot of bands doing it.

Bandit72

#4 Post by Bandit72 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:26 pm

I was thinking more chip away, but never mind.

blackcoffee

#5 Post by blackcoffee » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:36 pm

ellis wrote:This "everyone with a drum!!" thing is getting played out.

There was a opening band I saw recently called Royal Teeth. (something like that). It seemed like every song had a section for this... but the novelty of it wore off after two songs.

I've noticed a lot of bands doing it.
Nico Vega do this, as well.

clickie

#6 Post by clickie » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:51 pm

It does, reminds me of a toilet that wouldn't flush.

Bandit72

#7 Post by Bandit72 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:07 am

Just sayin.. :eyes:

@1.29

Hokahey
Site Admin

#8 Post by Hokahey » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:03 am

Price i Pay is a much shittier song than I remember it being. The first minute and a half are interesting musically. Even Perry's vocals are ok. But the lyrics and generic rawk crap ruin the song after that.

Mescal

#9 Post by Mescal » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:55 pm

This also always reminds me of a Jane's song

zendo

#10 Post by zendo » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:00 am

Good call! They should cover it!

jptm

#11 Post by jptm » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:19 pm

If this doesn't sound like 'pets' to you, you're deaf.

:aoa:

trevor ayer

#12 Post by trevor ayer » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:07 pm

i just realized today that wave of mutilation has the same chords as sittin on the dock of the bay :wiggle:

Hype

#13 Post by Hype » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:50 pm

jptm wrote:If this doesn't sound like 'pets' to you, you're deaf.

Sounds more like Bali Eyes.

Or, like 50 other songs depending on what you focus on.

blackula

#14 Post by blackula » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:40 pm

hokahey wrote:Price i Pay is a much shittier song than I remember it being. The first minute and a half are interesting musically. Even Perry's vocals are ok. But the lyrics and generic rawk crap ruin the song after that.
I agree. That aweful bassline spits in the face of the foundation of all classic Jane's songs. It almost sounds like a retard trying to the main riff in Walk by Pantera on bass.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#15 Post by Hokahey » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:18 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote:

I have to disagree. I totally hear Pets.

jptm

#16 Post by jptm » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:23 pm

Thanks, Hoka

Also, lately I re-discovered (on my hard drive) a band someone found during the xiola daze that sounded like Jane's-- Proximity Butterfly. Search for 'em on youtube & you'll remember they're a band living in China made up of all kinds of people...

Obviously influenced by Jane's, they've actually matured into a more complex band (the guitars went towards The Mars Volta IMO...):

but still have that old Jane's vibe, too... you think?

Jasper

#17 Post by Jasper » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:38 pm

hokahey wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:

I have to disagree. I totally hear Pets.
Yeah, it shares a number of similarities with Pets, though I don't know if that's merely coincidental (probably not). By the way, that's a nice little psych-pop album. Nothing too adventurous (it's pretty retro), but a nice sound/vibe, and some very nice melodies and whatnot.

Romeo

#18 Post by Romeo » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:14 am

Since this is a "Remind you of anything" thread:

"O, when she's angry, she is keen and shrewd! She was a vixen when she went to school; And though she be but little, she is fierce.” William Shakespeare, A Midsummer Night's Dream

Fucking Perry can't come up with lyrics so he steals from Shakespeare :lol:

Hype

#19 Post by Hype » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:29 pm

Romeo wrote:Since this is a "Remind you of anything" thread:

"O, when she's angry, she is keen and shrewd! She was a vixen when she went to school; And though she be but little, she is fierce.” William Shakespeare, A Midsummer Night's Dream

That's actually pretty good. Clever on Perry's part. Pretty sure Shakespeare's been in the public domain for ... a long time.

The song still sucks though.

trevor ayer

#20 Post by trevor ayer » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:47 pm

just because is been caught stealing with more guitars .. so janes stole from themselves that time .. same with everybodys friend and classic girl

Hype

#21 Post by Hype » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:48 pm

trevor ayer wrote:just because is been caught stealing with more guitars .. so janes stole from themselves that time .. same with everybodys friend and classic girl

Larry B.

#22 Post by Larry B. » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:20 pm

trevor ayer wrote:just because is been caught stealing with more guitars .. so janes stole from themselves that time .. same with everybodys friend and classic girl
Just Because, Had a Dad, Standing in the Shower, Idiots Rule, Been Caught Stealing, True Nature, The Riches, Superhero, Suffer Some and Twisted Tales have ALL essentially the same drum pattern. In different tempos, intensities and permutations, they all do the same accents that lead to the same "overall feel" of the drum line.

Romeo

#23 Post by Romeo » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:33 am

Adurentibus Spina wrote:
Romeo wrote:Since this is a "Remind you of anything" thread:

That's actually pretty good. Clever on Perry's part. Pretty sure Shakespeare's been in the public domain for ... a long time.

The song still sucks though.
Yes, it might be public domain but shows his lack of originality.

Funny how it came about, my friend had the quote in her email signature and at first glance I'm thinking "why is she quoting a shitty Jane's song, she's not even a Jane's fan"....then I saw "William Shakespeare" :lol:

Hype

#24 Post by Hype » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:40 am

Man, I'm sorry, I really don't think an allusion to Shakespeare is a good example of Perry's lack of originality.

Brave New World contains a huge number of direct quotations from Shakes:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_qu ... _New_World

References JUST to Hamlet in Literature:
The ninth chapter of James Joyce's Ulysses, commonly referred to as Scylla and Charybdis, is almost entirely devoted to a rambling discourse by Stephen Daedalus on Shakespeare, centering around the character Hamlet. As a character predicts more or less accurately in the very first chapter, "[Daedalus] proves by algebra that Hamlet's grandson is Shakespeare's grandfather and that he himself is the ghost of his own father."
Gertrude and Claudius, a John Updike novel, serves as a prequel to the events of the play. It follows Gertrude from her wedding to King Hamlet, through an affair with Claudius, and its murderous results, up until the very beginning of the play.
Dead Fathers Club, a novel by Matt Haig, uses intertextuality to retell the story of Hamlet from the point of view of an 11-year-old boy in modern England.
Anton Chekhov wrote a feuilleton titled I am a Moscow Hamlet (1891), the mutterings of a gossip-mongering actor who contemplates suicide out of sheer boredom.
Jasper Fforde's novel Something Rotten includes Hamlet - transplanted from the BookWorld into reality - as a major character. This version of Hamlet frets about how audiences perceive him, complains about the performances of actors who have portrayed him, and at one point resolves to go back and change the play by killing Claudius in the beginning and marrying Ophelia.
In Kurt Vonnegut's "God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater" the protagonist, Eliot Rosewater, writes a letter to his wife while pretending to be Hamlet.
David Bergantino's novel "Hamlet II: Ophelia's Revenge", set in modern Denmark, portrays Ophelia rising from the dead to get revenge on Hamlet.
Nick O'Donohoe's 1989 science fiction novel Too Too Solid Flesh portrays a troupe of android actors designed specifically to perform "Hamlet"; when the androids' designer is murdered, the Hamlet android decides to investigate.
In Kyle Baker's 1996 graphic novel The Cowboy Wally Show, Cowboy Wally's masterpiece is the film "Cowboy Wally's HAMLET", a modernized version produced in secret while Wally was in prison. He had planned to film Hamlet professionally, but was jailed for an unspecified offense, before he could cast actors, and so used his cell-mates for the cast. The film failed, like many of Cowboy Wally's efforts, due to his ineptness, but he attributed the failure to the film being "ahead of its time".
David Foster Wallace's novel Infinite Jest takes its name from Hamlet's speech about Yorick, and features a main character struggling with his uncle's influence following the suspicious death of his father.
The plot of David Wroblewski's novel The Story of Edgar Sawtelle closely follows the story line of Hamlet, and several of the novel's main characters have names similar to their corresponding characters in the play.
John Marsden's novel 'Hamlet' is a reinterpretation of the original for young adults. It is set in Denmark and the characters keep their names, their personalities and their functions in the story.
In Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol, Marley death as it said with a Hamlet part, There is no doubt that Marley was dead. This must be distinctly understood, or nothing wonderful can come of the story I am going to relate. If we were not perfectly convinced that Hamlet's Father died before the play began, there would be nothing more remarkable in his taking a stroll at night, in an easterly wind, upon his own ramparts, than there would be in any other middle-aged gentleman rashly turning out after dark in a breezy spot -- say Saint Paul's Churchyard for instance -- literally to astonish his son's weak mind.
Ngaio Marsh's detective Roderick Alleyn in all her novels uses quotes, misquotes and allusions to Hamlet as a characteristic conversational idiosyncrasy.

The line, "Good night, ladies, good night, sweet ladies, good night, good night," ends the second part of T. S. Eliot's "The Waste Land".
T.S. Eliot's poem, "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock", includes the line, "No! I am not Prince Hamlet, nor was I meant to be".
The poem The Night Before Christmas includes the line "Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse." This is similar to Act 1 Scene 1's "Not a mouse stirring."

Romeo

#25 Post by Romeo » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:48 am

um, it means your unoriginal to use another persons words :noclue: