Site Admin

Re: Pete

#21 Post by creep » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:54 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:i just updated mine. :lol:

:lol:

JOEinPHX

#22 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:03 pm

The next step is to add a burning house behind him.

Juana

#23 Post by Juana » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:18 pm

CaseyContrarian wrote:I'm gonna listen to some Pete solo on all your recommendations. I'm having a hard time picturing him in JA, though. Part of it is the colossal disappointment of the first P4P album after being so bummed about JA breaking up and waiting eagerly for Perry's next move. Still think Cursed Female is the best JA song not by JA, though. I like GGU just OK, and that's after many years. Lots of meandering on that album, but I do appreciate the vibe and general direction.

I also wonder if Dave could countenance another rooster in the henhouse. He's been THE guitarist for JA since they had a record contract.
Yeah but he also hasn't written anything of substance with JA since they got their new contract with Capitol.

Eric B.

#24 Post by Eric B. » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:13 am

I'm not at all for Pete in Jane's. Pete = P4P, Jane's = Jane's. Simple as that. Pete in Jane's will probably mean an excuse to play P4P songs. I don't want Jane's to do that. They should stop milking the past and concentrate on the future if ya ask me.

judah

#25 Post by judah » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:10 am

creep wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:i just updated mine. :lol:

:lol:
that's amazing! haha

Juana

#26 Post by Juana » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:53 am

Eric B. wrote:I'm not at all for Pete in Jane's. Pete = P4P, Jane's = Jane's. Simple as that. Pete in Jane's will probably mean an excuse to play P4P songs. I don't want Jane's to do that. They should stop milking the past and concentrate on the future if ya ask me.
SO basically you're one of the only people who doesn't think this new album is going suck? Because the future is Jane's doing dubstep if Perry has his way.

CaseyContrarian

#27 Post by CaseyContrarian » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:14 am

If Perry could do dubstep well, that might be interesting. I am fairly certain he cannot.

Juana

#28 Post by Juana » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:19 am

Living in Austin where dubstep is all the rage I can attest that most don't do it well. While some of it is alright most of it sucks. Just an excuse for people to roll on X around here.

creep
Site Admin

#29 Post by creep » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:10 am

i pretty proud of myself for not knowing what dubstep is. i'm really good with not knowing.

Juana

#30 Post by Juana » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:18 am

creep wrote:i pretty proud of myself for not knowing what dubstep is. i'm really good with not knowing.
You should be. But its where JA is going to head in like 5 years when its no longer the rage as now Perry seems to be getting into stuff as it dies out

CaseyContrarian

#31 Post by CaseyContrarian » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:48 pm

I hope Perry does a duet with Sisquo over some mad dancehall.

Juana

#32 Post by Juana » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:10 pm

Well at least then his lyrics wouldn't be so out of place

CaseyContrarian

#33 Post by CaseyContrarian » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:15 pm

The Thongle Dongle Songle

Eric B.

#34 Post by Eric B. » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:27 pm

Juana wrote:
Eric B. wrote:I'm not at all for Pete in Jane's. Pete = P4P, Jane's = Jane's. Simple as that. Pete in Jane's will probably mean an excuse to play P4P songs. I don't want Jane's to do that. They should stop milking the past and concentrate on the future if ya ask me.
SO basically you're one of the only people who doesn't think this new album is going suck? Because the future is Jane's doing dubstep if Perry has his way.
No, that's NOT what I'm saying. I hope the album is gonna be good. I don't know. I hope so. The new songs are better than expected, but far from revolutianairy. If the whole album is like this I think it will be a dissapointment in the end. I had no hopes at all that it would be any good. Given that, than the things I heard so far are a pleasant surprise which I welcome very much. I lowered my expectations very much. Maybe that's why. I follow this band now for almost 25 years. Some follow "As the world Turns". I follow Jane's and check the boards. That's basicaly how it is. I had huge expectations but have been dissapointed so many times that I don't expect much from them anymore. That's why I'm now of the opinion that anything not utter bullshit is welcomed.

Even if they can't top the past, which I'm quite sure of they can't, they still shouldn't milk the past. Better die trying to create something worthwile and failing at that than just easily rehashing old stuff. That's what I'm saying.

Turncoat

#35 Post by Turncoat » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:54 pm

I think Pete would work really nicely with Dave's style. They could approach the same part in different ways and add depth to even the simplest parts. They could also challenge each other and that competitive spirit would drive each of them toward something greater than themselves alone. Imagine the 2 newest songs with bow going on in the back and different melodies on each side of the mix. It would be beautiful.

And would it be worse to hear some P4P thrown in with Dave's touch at a JA show or hear Just Because and Jane Says at every show forever?

Eric B.

#36 Post by Eric B. » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:08 pm

They should make some worthwile stuff or just terminate this whole thing I think. If they play only one or two new songs on the new tour (if that comes) than that's a new dissapointment. It will only make clear the new album is an excuse to tour some more (= milking the past) instead of having a genuine motivation to create some art. I'm hoping their motivation is the latter, but fearing it is the first. The setlists will tell I guess.

creep
Site Admin

#37 Post by creep » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:13 pm

Eric B. wrote:They should make some worthwile stuff or just terminate this whole thing I think. If they play only one or two new songs on the new tour (if that comes) than that's a new dissapointment. It will only make clear the new album is an excuse to tour some more (= milking the past) instead of having a genuine motivation to create some art. I'm hoping their motivation is the latter, but fearing it is the first. The setlists will tell I guess.
touring strays they averaged two new songs a night. on a new album i would think 4-5 would be a right number..i'm betting we never get more than 3.

Juana

#38 Post by Juana » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:16 pm

Eric B. wrote:
Juana wrote:
No, that's NOT what I'm saying. I hope the album is gonna be good. I don't know. I hope so. The new songs are better than expected, but far from revolutianairy. If the whole album is like this I think it will be a dissapointment in the end. I had no hopes at all that it would be any good. Given that, than the things I heard so far are a pleasant surprise which I welcome very much. I lowered my expectations very much. Maybe that's why. I follow this band now for almost 25 years. Some follow "As the world Turns". I follow Jane's and check the boards. That's basicaly how it is. I had huge expectations but have been dissapointed so many times that I don't expect much from them anymore. That's why I'm now of the opinion that anything not utter bullshit is welcomed.

Even if they can't top the past, which I'm quite sure of they can't, they still shouldn't milk the past. Better die trying to create something worthwile and failing at that than just easily rehashing old stuff. That's what I'm saying.
Okay. No one here wants them to milk the past. Most of us want them to get together and create something that is actually worth purchasing. Which both of the songs while better than expected are still not worth buying. Basically my point of this thread was that they needed someone that can actually write a song. Not fractured parts but an actual song. The three of them are basically like pilot fish without a shark, plotting along aimlessly.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#39 Post by Hokahey » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:27 pm

creep wrote:
Eric B. wrote:They should make some worthwile stuff or just terminate this whole thing I think. If they play only one or two new songs on the new tour (if that comes) than that's a new dissapointment. It will only make clear the new album is an excuse to tour some more (= milking the past) instead of having a genuine motivation to create some art. I'm hoping their motivation is the latter, but fearing it is the first. The setlists will tell I guess.
touring strays they averaged two new songs a night. on a new album i would think 4-5 would be a right number..i'm betting we never get more than 3.

Later in the tour set list was generally half and half.

Last show I saw had 7 old songs, 7 Strays songs. Amazing show too. Best Jane's show I ever saw. The new songs held up well when it was them live and unhinged.

creep
Site Admin

#40 Post by creep » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:46 pm

hokahey wrote:
creep wrote:

Last show I saw had 7 old songs, 7 Strays songs. Amazing show too. Best Jane's show I ever saw. The new songs held up well when it was them live and unhinged.
:lol: i had no idea they played that many. i'm not sure i would be ok with that :noclue:

Hokahey
Site Admin

#41 Post by Hokahey » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:48 pm

creep wrote:
hokahey wrote:
creep wrote:

:lol: i had no idea they played that many. i'm not sure i would be ok with that :noclue:
Yeah it's funny because I had no idea they ever played fewer than that. I had to look at their set lists to confirm we were both right.

By the time they had that many added to the set lists they were on the verge of breaking up again, so there was a lot of tension and Perry was drunk a lot. Those were good shows.

CaseyContrarian

#42 Post by CaseyContrarian » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:54 pm

Yeah, wow. That's a lotta Strays. I doubt that this tour -- which probably won't be too geographically ambitious -- will feature more than 3 TGEA songs, tops.

I wanna hear a report about tonight's club show, too. With Perry's voice in the condition it's in, the backing track on IF is guaranteed.

creep
Site Admin

#43 Post by creep » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:16 pm

CaseyContrarian wrote:the backing track on IF is guaranteed.
yeah that's going to be funny when perry can hardly sing on that song then all of a sudden he sounds just like the record.