Irresistible Force music video released

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
leviticus

Re: Irresistible Force music video released

#176 Post by leviticus » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:02 am

hokahey wrote:This song and video have been stuck in my head for days. I just re watched it and I have to tell you, this is my favorite fucking song right now. The bass during the verse is very Jane's. The music is better than anything on Strays. Atmospheric and gorgeous. Reminiscent of Then She Did at times. Nowhere near that level of perfection, but there are fleeting moments that conjure it to mind. My only real complaint is the lyrics, but for some reason I like them for this song. I don't like Perry's songwriting as a whole anymore, but taken individually I can accept them for this song.

I also really like the video. It's sexy and It's trippy which are both things Jane's Addiction should be if not raw and in your face. It's not great by any means, but again, there are moments that make me think "this is fucking Jane's Addiction!" I haven't felt that way in a long time.

Last but not least, it is my mission to fucking marry this woman:

I just listened to Strays for the first time in years. I heard True Nature and thought... "Really solid song, I may like this album". But I didn't. True Nature, Just Because and Price I Pay are the only take away moments for me. The album sounds like they thought they were making a follow up to NS or Ritual. The ignorance kills me. Like I said, I appreciate the fact that they are admittedly going in a new direction. The sound is more liberated, dense and affectionate.

Larry B.

#177 Post by Larry B. » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:04 am

hokahey wrote: Last but not least, it is my mission to fucking marry this woman:

get ready for some mean competition, buddy.

although my crush might stop if she stops biting her lip.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#178 Post by Hokahey » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:20 am

Larry B. wrote: although my crush might stop if she stops biting her lip.
Yeah she'd have to agree to continuously walk around biting her lip, with fuck me eyes on if I'm to grace her with my presence for eternity. :lol:

cursed male

#179 Post by cursed male » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:12 am

Larry B. wrote:get ready for some mean competition, buddy.

Lip biting is a sign of sexual frustration so it'll stop once she gets a proper...

Hokahey
Site Admin

#180 Post by Hokahey » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:21 am

cursed male wrote:
Larry B. wrote:get ready for some mean competition, buddy.

Lip biting is a sign of sexual frustration so it'll stop once she gets a proper...
Well then I guess Larry has nothing to worry about.

Larry B.

#181 Post by Larry B. » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:50 am

:banana:

Hokahey
Site Admin

#182 Post by Hokahey » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:53 am

That banana alone makes this a better board than Xiola. I'm just sayin.

Pure Method

#183 Post by Pure Method » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:14 am

I tried to watch the video for the second time today, I couldn't make it all the way through. and um, is perry singing "let's bang together" ? :bs:

Hoka, bless your optimism, but holy shit, this is weak.

Also: what happened to the snippets and behind the scenes videos? have these guys gone dark for a reason? or just lack of ambition?

Hokahey
Site Admin

#184 Post by Hokahey » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:24 am

Pure Method wrote:I tried to watch the video for the second time today, I couldn't make it all the way through. and um, is perry singing "let's bang together" ? :bs:

Hoka, bless your optimism, but holy shit, this is weak.

Also: what happened to the snippets and behind the scenes videos? have these guys gone dark for a reason? or just lack of ambition?

It's not optimism so much as it is freely admitting I take no issue with this one song. I'm not saying they're about to make a great album or "are back" so to speak.

Pure Method

#185 Post by Pure Method » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:55 am

good point. well, your positive outlook is about the only positive thing for me regarding IF. :wave:

JOEinPHX

#186 Post by JOEinPHX » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:03 pm

i am waiting for other great lines from PF

Shit along the lines of "The moon is made of green cheese!"

"i licked her honeypot and she gave me her jelly!"

whatever. it's gonna be bad. haha

drumhead

#187 Post by drumhead » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:55 pm

sigh..the video is pinnacle crap, pterryble..
rest is a bit of TVOTR with a pop chorus,
dave, change your aircut..we know you spent a lot on those hair tho...

Juana

#188 Post by Juana » Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:59 pm

It's just cheesy

Matz

#189 Post by Matz » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:06 am

Deconstruction wrote:Image

Perry in the first two then Dave doing his thing. To me Dave actually is COOL though so he has the right to do poses like that in videos. Perry's poses just come off as lame in this. He should have gone more with an ETTL video approach, rather than this...
to me thats not a cool pose. Check out how he moved in the halloween show 97, that was fuckin cool. He should go back and study it before doing the next video

other than that I like the video, better than I had thought it would be, nice visuals

Hokahey
Site Admin

#190 Post by Hokahey » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:49 am

Matz wrote:
Deconstruction wrote:Image

Perry in the first two then Dave doing his thing. To me Dave actually is COOL though so he has the right to do poses like that in videos. Perry's poses just come off as lame in this. He should have gone more with an ETTL video approach, rather than this...
to me thats not a cool pose. Check out how he moved in the halloween show 97, that was fuckin cool. He should go back and study it before doing the next video

other than that I like the video, better than I had thought it would be, nice visuals
I don't mind Perry's poses in the video. They're infinitely better than whatever the fuck he thought he was doing in the TN and JB videos.

JOEinPHX

#191 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:01 pm

OK, new avatar time.

I think this one is a keeper for awhile

Tyler Durden

#192 Post by Tyler Durden » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:32 am

Six7Six7 wrote:OK, new avatar time.

:lolol:

Romeo

#193 Post by Romeo » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:48 am

Six7Six7 wrote:i am waiting for other great lines from PF

Shit along the lines of "The moon is made of green cheese!"

"i licked her honeypot and she gave me her jelly!"

whatever. it's gonna be bad. haha
I'm waiting for the song called "My Muffin"
(anyone who follows Perry on twitter will get the ridiculousness of that)

thoreau

#194 Post by thoreau » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:49 am

Six7Six7 wrote:OK, new avatar time.

:lol:

Hokahey
Site Admin

#195 Post by Hokahey » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:16 am

Stil digging it. Musically it's better than anything on Strays. Easily. The chorus is soaring and beautiful. The beginning of the verses are the only weak link. And as much as I don't like them..I kind of do in a weird - cant quite put my finger on it - kind of way. After the verse ends though, and the guitar comes in with the bridge to the chrous...that's amazing to me. I really, really like it. The bridge is great too. It really reminds me of something off of OHM.

I dunno. I feel weird being alone on this. It makes me wonder if to some extent there's not any willingness to like anything they do. I'm sure most are doing their best to be objective...

:noclue:

Pure Method

#196 Post by Pure Method » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:19 am

hokahey wrote:

I dunno. I feel weird being alone on this. It makes me wonder if to some extent there's not any willingness to like anything they do. I'm sure most are doing their best to be objective...

who says you are the one being objective?

try playing it for a friend who doesn't know/care much about Jane's, if you're searching for objectivity.

Tyler Durden

#197 Post by Tyler Durden » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:22 am

hokahey wrote:Stil digging it. Musically it's better than anything on Strays. Easily. The chorus is soaring and beautiful. The beginning of the verses are the only weak link. And as much as I don't like them..I kind of do in a weird - cant quite put my finger on it - kind of way. After the verse ends though, and the guitar comes in with the bridge to the chrous...that's amazing to me. I really, really like it. The bridge is great too. It really reminds me of something off of OHM.

I think End To The Lies is a much better track; it has a little more bite to it. Irresistible Force is catchy as hell (I do find myself with the melody stuck in my head often enough) but I don't like it.

Price I Pay (and maybe the hyperleak version of The Riches) is better than both of these songs, in my opinion.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#198 Post by Hokahey » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:22 am

Pure Method wrote:
hokahey wrote:

try playing it for a friend who doesn't know/care much about Jane's, if you're searching for objectivity.
If they don't like Jane's, we probably don't have similar musical tastes. What would be the point? What if everyone hated it? What if all those same people love Backstreet Boys?

I think the better litmus test would be to play it for a casual Jane's fan. And I'm willing to bet they wouldn't strongly dislike it the way most here do, and the remaining reactions would be mixed.

creep
Site Admin

#199 Post by creep » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:26 am

from the comments i read somewhere about the video on some music site most were positive. i would assume that those were from non jane's fans. :noclue:

Pure Method

#200 Post by Pure Method » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:31 am

hokahey wrote:
Pure Method wrote:
hokahey wrote:

If they don't like Jane's, we probably don't have similar musical tastes. What would be the point? What if everyone hated it? What if all those same people love Backstreet Boys?

I think the better litmus test would be to play it for a casual Jane's fan. And I'm willing to bet they wouldn't strongly dislike it the way most here do, and the remaining reactions would be mixed.

A friend whose musical taste you trust?

If another COMPLETELY unrelated band made IF, there is no way I would like it. It's garbage to my ears. I like ETTL ok.