Irresistible Force music video released

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
creep
Site Admin

Re: Irresistible Force music video released

#101 Post by creep » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:54 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:Why not be funny then?

Look at the Foo Fighters. Every video is nothing but them in ridiculous costumes acting out some strange situation while the song goes on in the background, with the band occasionally shown rocking out.

Jane's could easily do that. Are they too classy for humor? Because they certainly don't mind being a fucking Windows 2000 screensaver.
jane's could and should never attempt comedy...and dave would never dress up. i hate concept videos and i'm glad this isn't one (see true nature). it's a low budget video that was given to some young filmmakers that added a shitload of effects. toned way down this could have been ok.

CaseyContrarian

#102 Post by CaseyContrarian » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:55 pm

Meanwhile, over at JA.org, the four comments are unanimous in their praise...

creep
Site Admin

#103 Post by creep » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:55 pm

CaseyContrarian wrote:Meanwhile, over at JA.org, the four comments are unanimous in their praise...
:lol:

without looking i can guess hydro. mike and erik liked it.

JOEinPHX

#104 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:57 pm

i don't know why i am so annoyed by this.

you'd think we wouldn't have such high expectations at this point.

i just can't get it out of my head that not too long ago, they were in Trent's studio working on music with Eric Avery.

The absolute perfect situation, and then here we are in the present shaking our heads trying to figure out what the hell happened that we ended up with the exact opposite of what is tasteful and credible.

It's like falling in love with a beautiful girl, only to find out that she's a hooker with AIDS.
Last edited by JOEinPHX on Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

creep
Site Admin

#105 Post by creep » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:59 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:i don't know why i am so annoyed by this.

you'd think we wouldn't have such high expectations at this point.

i just can't get it out of my head that not too long ago, they were in Trent's studio working on music with Eric Avery.

They absolute perfect situation, and then here we are in the present shaking our heads trying to figure out what the hell happened that we ended up with the exact opposite of what is tasteful and credible.

It's like falling in love with a beautiful girl, only to find out that she's a hooker with AIDS.
well i honestly expected two minutes of perry making out with etty so i guess my expectations were low. i don't like it but the video doesn't upset me. :noclue:

JOEinPHX

#106 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:00 pm

creep wrote:...and dave would never dress up.

he'd do whatever Perry told him if the concept was good.

Unfortunately the execution i think would probably be flawed.

Pandemonium

#107 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:10 pm

creep wrote:jane's could and should never attempt comedy....
I disagree. I still get a laugh out of this bit.

Bandit72

#108 Post by Bandit72 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:24 pm

blackcoffee wrote:music videos have never been Perry's strong point. Even the 300,000 dollar Gift video was poor if you want to approach it critically.

I agree that the biggest problem here is that there isn't a clarity of concept as someone else said. It's just a lot of imagery...I don't think they could have gotten away with a black and white studio video for this, but as I said above, music videos were never this band's strong point.
You can kind of forgive the Gift though because it basically centres around the Perry and Janes we all love. I guess his life was more interesting to us all then. You're right videos have never been their strong point. I would rather watch a 'live' concert video for any single they released. I'm really not sure who music videos appeal too. They seem to cost quite a bit and rarely do bands get them right. Just my opinion.

Turncoat

#109 Post by Turncoat » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:47 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:It's like falling in love with a beautiful girl, only to find out that she's a hooker with AIDS.
:lol:

Tyler Durden

#110 Post by Tyler Durden » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:48 pm

I think the video is very good in the respect that it represents the song very well (that's what music videos are supposed to do). Unfortunately, the song is pretty lame...so in turn, you have a video that is well, pretty lame. :lol:

Tyler Durden

#111 Post by Tyler Durden » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:58 pm

I don't feel so good. :jasper:

JOEinPHX

#112 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:26 pm

I wonder why they even bothered with the performance portion. It's pretty clear that they don't like doing videos. So they have 2 options:

1. Don't make videos
2. Just hire someone to animate one for you (think pearl jam's do the evolution)

I don't see why they can't just work with an artist they admire and let him fulfill the concept instead of just half assing their career with some shitty CGI wankery.

And if money if the issue then just do an extra corporate gig to cover it. There is zero excuse for an "art rock" band to be phoning everything in. Be what you are, or don't be.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#113 Post by Hokahey » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:36 pm

I'm pretty sure Capital is financing the videos, and I'm sure they're recommending the "wankery" as a way to "make a great video on a budget."

I think some of you need to go back and watch the True Nature video again and then re-watch this one. They're definitely on a better track than they were 8 years ago.

Tyler Durden

#114 Post by Tyler Durden » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:51 pm

hokahey wrote:I'm pretty sure Capital is financing the videos, and I'm sure they're recommending the "wankery" as a way to "make a great video on a budget."

I think some of you need to go back and watch the True Nature video again and then re-watch this one. They're definitely on a better track than they were 8 years ago.
My judgment of this video has nothing to do with the True Nature video. As it stands on its own, the Resistible Farce video is cheese; comparing it to the True Nature video hardly improves its quality. As I have previously stated, this video does a great job of representing and selling the song. As for True Nature...people may have hated its content (breakdancing, Etty, the band's wardrobe, etc), but it was executed very well (the editing, cinematography, etc).

Hokahey
Site Admin

#115 Post by Hokahey » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:00 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:As for True Nature...people may have hated its content (breakdancing, Etty, the band's wardrobe, etc), but it was executed very well (the editing, cinematography, etc).

You clearly have no watched it in a very long time. :lol:

Tyler Durden

#116 Post by Tyler Durden » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:04 pm

hokahey wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:As for True Nature...people may have hated its content (breakdancing, Etty, the band's wardrobe, etc), but it was executed very well (the editing, cinematography, etc).

You clearly have no watched it in a very long time. :lol:
How is the it not edited well? How is it not shot well? :hs:

BTW, I watched it about a month ago.

Tyler Durden

#117 Post by Tyler Durden » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:06 pm

Hokahey
Site Admin

#118 Post by Hokahey » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:07 pm

That is the worst music video I've ever seen.

Tyler Durden

#119 Post by Tyler Durden » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:11 pm

hokahey wrote:That is the worst music video I've ever seen.
You're avoiding the points I brought up. :eyes:

creep
Site Admin

#120 Post by creep » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:12 pm

:lolol: i forgot how silly that video is. i know when the apocalypse happens and everyone goes mad max i will be breakdancing too!

by the way discussing editing ....i hate the way this is edited with the fast edits.

Tyler Durden

#121 Post by Tyler Durden » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:17 pm

creep wrote::lolol: i forgot how silly that video is. i know when the apocalypse happens and everyone goes mad max i will be breakdancing too!

by the way discussing editing ....i hate the way this is edited with the fast edits.
Fair enough. I can see why people wouldn't like the fast edits (that was the all the rage then).

For the record, I'm not a fan of the True Nature video...but I'm not sure why it gets singled out more than Just Because, End To The Lies, or Irresistible Force. They're all lame.

Thanks for your input, creep. Nice to see someone can criticize the video beyond the superficial content.

Deconstruction

#122 Post by Deconstruction » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:26 pm

The True Nature video is in it but at least Perry looks like and is acting like a dude in it, just an aging guy trying to act young and hip. In the IF video he comes off like he's Liberace. I would say Dave is better in the IF video than the True Nature video though.

I love that Kimmel skit, they'd never do something like that now.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#123 Post by Hokahey » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:33 pm

Tyler Durden wrote: Thanks for your input, creep. Nice to see someone can criticize the video beyond the superficial content.

:lolol: :crying:

Pandemonium

#124 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:41 pm

The True Nature video, embarrassingly silly (and instantly dated) as it is, is still miles above the video for IF.

And there's a bazillion far more horrible music videos out there from major bands.

Tyler Durden

#125 Post by Tyler Durden » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:43 pm

Pandemonium wrote:The True Nature video, embarrassingly silly (and instantly dated) as it is, is still miles above the video for IF.

And there's a bazillion far more horrible music videos out there from major bands.
That's my take as well.