Dave speaks on how he didn't jive with the Peppers

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
SR

Re: Dave speaks on how he didn't jive with the Peppers

#126 Post by SR » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:47 am

Matz wrote:
SR wrote:
Matz wrote:ehm, we're coming from a place where AK did not mention Dave who he was in a band with for five years. He's probably a very warm and great guy I'm sure, except when he's not
Exactly, as we all are. The scope of this thread has extended well beyond the issue of DN's exclusion from HOF induction as a CP. Where's the hatred on Flea? Chad? If not in complete support of the decision, they did support it.
I don't hate anybody. Flea is just as guilty as AK. Chad did mention DN at the HOF so he's not quite as bad, but still guilty
I appreciate your view, and ultimately I think he deserved the nod, but I can't help but think dn in some fashion had a role in the diss.

Matz

#127 Post by Matz » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:08 am

You're probably right. Flea e.g. to me seems like a very loving and kind and fair person so you'd think Dave has done something in order for Flea to not even mention his name. We don't know so it's pretty pointless discussing it I guess

But I'm just saying, that if they diss him because they feel that the Dave era was a dark one in the band's history that they'd rather forget and that OHM doesn't fit in with the rest of their catalogue I don't like it at all

SR

#128 Post by SR » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:12 am

Matz wrote:You're probably right. Flea e.g. to me seems like a very loving and kind and fair person so you'd think Dave has done something in order for Flea to not even mention his name. We don't know so it's pretty pointless discussing it I guess

But I'm just saying, that if they diss him because they feel that the Dave era was a dark one in the band's history that they'd rather forget and that OHM doesn't fit in with the rest of their catalogue I don't like it at all
If I had to guess, it likely had more to do with the ceremony and the "family" vibe thing than anything punitive.

SR

#129 Post by SR » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:22 am

Btw, what were chads remarks on dn?

someguy

#130 Post by someguy » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:31 am

Matz wrote:You're probably right. Flea e.g. to me seems like a very loving and kind and fair person so you'd think Dave has done something in order for Flea to not even mention his name. We don't know so it's pretty pointless discussing it I guess
Isn't he mad at Perry for some reason too? Somebody on here mentioned that awhile back.

I think Dave's pretty cool with Chad, though. They were hanging out at Lolla '12. You can google the pic, I'm at work.

someguy

#131 Post by someguy » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:33 am

someguy wrote:
Isn't he mad at Perry for some reason too? Somebody on here mentioned that awhile back.

I think Dave's pretty cool with Chad, though. They were hanging out at Lolla '12. You all can google the pic, I'm at work.

Matz

#132 Post by Matz » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:45 am

SR wrote:Btw, what were chads remarks on dn?
I'm beginning to think I'm wrong. I tried to find it on youtube and I can't. I was just dead certain he said something along the lines of: "A big thanks to Dave Navarro" at the end of everybody speaking

someguy

#133 Post by someguy » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:03 pm

Matz wrote:
I'm beginning to think I'm wrong. I tried to find it on youtube and I can't. I was just dead certain he said something along the lines of: "A big thanks to Dave Navarro" at the end of everybody speaking
He did say that, but they edited it out of the HBO broadcast.

SR

#134 Post by SR » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:19 pm

someguy wrote:
Matz wrote:
Um, if that's true it is punitive. They must despise dn. :lol:

JOEinPHX

#135 Post by JOEinPHX » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:47 pm

Do you think Dave fucked Anthony's girlfriend or something? :lol:

SR

#136 Post by SR » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:57 pm

I think Dave fucked himself.

Lokus

#137 Post by Lokus » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:47 am

someguy wrote:
Matz wrote:
I don't think they did. I recorded it and I remember the shout out to Dave.

Kajicat

#138 Post by Kajicat » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:53 am

OHM is probably my favorite album (any genre) of all time. No joke. Whoever mentioned Uplift Mofo Party Plan in this thread... that album is so good. One of the top RHCP albums for sure - I'd easily put it above Mother's Milk, for example. Everyone needs to go listen to Uplift Mofo if they haven't in awhile.
Matz wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:
BSSM has it's moments, and Californication is great
ehm no, that would be the other way around big time
Exactly. Cali is a great album but no way in hell can it match BSSM.
Noonesshocking wrote:I saw a thread on a chili peppers forum (stadium-arcadium.com) about this. Apparently it is out there, but being hoarded by an "exclusive" circle of traders. Completely stupid.
That is fucked, if true. I've been wanting to hear that song for so long now.
Matz wrote:wow he's that fuckin pissed off at them that he covered the dolphins symbolizing their time in Hawaii? Pretty sad. He didn't take that HOF thing lightly and he shouldn't
I'm really hoping he just decided that dolphins don't exactly fit the theme he was going for with the rest of his tats.
Six7Six7 wrote: Anthony is pretty talentless. Can't write lyrics. Can't sing. Can't rap. Can't play any instruments. Has zero musical career outside that of his own band...
You know what he's really good at? Coming up with quality vocal melodies. Check out some RHCP singles alone:

Otherside
Can't Stop
Snow (Hey Oh)
Under the Bridge
Breaking the Girl
Around the World
Zephyr Song
By The Way
Californication
The Adventures of Rain Dance Maggie
Behind the Sun
Tell Me Baby
Hump De Bump
My Friends
Aeroplane
Soul to Squeeze

Then look into many other songs in their catalog and you'll find he can really string together some great sounding/catchy vocal melodies, regardless of lyrical content. And nobody can make the argument that he wrote every vocal melody off of the guitarist when so many guitarists have been involved through the years, unless that was the plan throughout RHCP's lengthy career, but even then a bunch of his vocal melodies don't match up with the guitar on so many songs.

JOEinPHX

#139 Post by JOEinPHX » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:51 am

Oh, cool, a guy who was in a band for 30 years and wrote hundreds of songs figured out how to write a melody.

Even Perry Farrell can still come up with a great melody on occasion. :noclue:

JOEinPHX

#140 Post by JOEinPHX » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:56 am

Besides, we all know how easy it is to write a RHCP song:

Matz

#141 Post by Matz » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:12 pm

Kajicat wrote:
Matz wrote:wow he's that fuckin pissed off at them that he covered the dolphins symbolizing their time in Hawaii? Pretty sad. He didn't take that HOF thing lightly and he shouldn't
I'm really hoping he just decided that dolphins don't exactly fit the theme he was going for with the rest of his tats.
sure, there's always that 1:19.000.000.000 chance that's what's goin on :lol:

someguy

#142 Post by someguy » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:38 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:Besides, we all know how easy it is to write a RHCP song:

HAHA this is so true. RS did an interview with the guys who did it and one of them (Jon Daly) claimed he stopped listening to them after OHM, which is funny because it sounds like a grade B californication/Stadium jam

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... l-20140205

I just remembered klinghoffer teased my friends and walkabout at some shows last year- they sounded pretty good. I imagine he's Navarro's favorite pepper now haha. And yes I checked, they took the videos down on YouTube :/

Kajicat

#143 Post by Kajicat » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:29 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:Oh, cool, a guy who was in a band for 30 years and wrote hundreds of songs figured out how to write a melody.
I'm not saying he's some virtuoso. But he does know how to make radio-friendly chart toppers that people enjoy, far better than I can. I probably couldn't come up with vocal melodies as good as his (I'll have to stick to drumming :lol: ). I don't think anyone in the band is asking him for any great artistic input beyond writing lyrics in the manner he always has and coming up with catchy melodies. They aren't asking him to play rhythm guitar on a bunch of songs beyond strumming one chord during solos on "Give it Away" in the early to mid-90's.

As someone mentioned though, he probably is one of the greatest successes in music for having such a small amount of music-related talent. Doesn't bother me one bit.

sonny

#144 Post by sonny » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:12 pm

anthony is the one that didn't fit. dave, flea, and chad make great music, but you can't have anthony as the singer for that band. so there's the problem.

i think anthony realized that and flea would never leave him.

SR

#145 Post by SR » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:31 pm

So OHM is a good album except for lyrics and vocals? And I'm unclear on the idea that ak didn't fit. Was rhcp to abandon their entire identity formed from what many consider prior master strokes because Dave was new to the band?

Matz

#146 Post by Matz » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:46 pm

sonny wrote:anthony is the one that didn't fit. dave, flea, and chad make great music, but you can't have anthony as the singer for that band. so there's the problem.

:crazy:

someguy

#147 Post by someguy » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:56 pm

Matz wrote:
sonny wrote:anthony is the one that didn't fit. dave, flea, and chad make great music, but you can't have anthony as the singer for that band. so there's the problem.

:crazy:
If Flea or Anthony left the band would be over. Even if Chad left... They could try to continue but it'd be a stretch.

Kajicat

#148 Post by Kajicat » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:29 pm

someguy wrote:If Flea or Anthony left the band would be over. Even if Chad left... They could try to continue but it'd be a stretch.
I agree. RHCP really is and always has been AK+Flea. If either of them left the band it would just be completely fucked up. Wouldn't be RHCP.

It's been proven that guitar players can change and yet RHCP still moves on just fine, same with drummers. But anyone else rapping to "Around the World" or singing "Soul to Squeeze" just really really wouldn't be the same. Same goes for some other guy trying to fill in for Flea all naked, doing somersaults and playing ferocious slap bass.

kv

#149 Post by kv » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:31 pm

i used to think the same about hillel

Mescal

#150 Post by Mescal » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:25 pm

kv wrote:i used to think the same about hillel
And look how that worked out: