Dave speaks on how he didn't jive with the Peppers

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Kajicat

Re: Dave speaks on how he didn't jive with the Peppers

#151 Post by Kajicat » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:49 am

kv wrote:i used to think the same about hillel
Really? Hillel only played on 2 albums. Meanwhile, Kiedis and Flea have been on board the entire trip. Plus, Frusciante was the perfect fill in for Hillel once he died. As much as I love Hillel's work, Frusciante not only replicated Hillel but surpassed him greatly.

kv

#152 Post by kv » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:27 am

yes really...your points don't really matter to mine btw

Larry B.

#153 Post by Larry B. » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:10 am

Kajicat wrote:
Really? Hillel only played on 2 albums. Meanwhile, Kiedis and Flea have been on board the entire trip. Plus, Frusciante was the perfect fill in for Hillel once he died. As much as I love Hillel's work, Frusciante not only replicated Hillel but surpassed him greatly.
How can you forget/deny how shitty Frusciante is? He was good in Mother's Milk, good in BSSM, and then... Man oh man. Out-of-tune city, in Snob state. Population: all of those who think shrieking with your voice or guitar makes for good music.

Hillel was a genius of funk-rock. Jack Irons was rock, Flea had the syncopation and Hillel mixed both, to provide the Chili Peppers their characteristic funk rock sound.

Mescal

#154 Post by Mescal » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:06 am

Larry B. wrote:
Kajicat wrote:
How can you forget/deny how shitty Frusciante is? He was good in Mother's Milk, good in BSSM, and then... Man oh man. Out-of-tune city, in Snob state. Population: all of those who think shrieking with your voice or guitar makes for good music.

Hillel was a genius of funk-rock. Jack Irons was rock, Flea had the syncopation and Hillel mixed both, to provide the Chili Peppers their characteristic funk rock sound.
See, I can agree with with this

Kajicat

#155 Post by Kajicat » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:00 am

kv wrote:yes really...your points don't really matter to mine btw
Maybe I misunderstood what you said. I say if either Flea or Kiedia left RHCP it wouldn't be RHCP anymore. Are you saying you used to think after Hillel died RHCP could no longer be RHCP anymore, and still believe that? Or are you admitting that you thought Hillel's death was the end or RHCP but it turns out you were wrong? Please elaborate.

Larry B. wrote: How can you forget/deny how shitty Frusciante is?
:crazy:

kv

#156 Post by kv » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:40 am

when hillel was alive i used to think no hillel, no rhcp (same with ak, flea and jack) and to be fair they were never the same once he was gone (and jack)...different animal...still liked the early john era...but it wasn't the same was more of a copy of what it was since john was such a big fan of hillel's.

i can see how you would see things differently because you seem to care what they have done as a band the last 20 years...and i don't

Kajicat

#157 Post by Kajicat » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:17 am

Ah, part of the old Chili Peppers guard, I see.

I love certain parts of their entire discography. Incredibly, my top 3 RHCP albums feature different guitarists:

1) One Hot Minute
2) Blood Sugar Sex Magik
3) Uplift Mofo Party Plan

JOEinPHX

#158 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:57 pm

Jesse Tobias is my favorite RHCP guitar player.

Juana

#159 Post by Juana » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:17 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:Jesse Tobias is my favorite RHCP guitar player.
They were never the same when they lost the genius that is Arik Marshall

Kajicat

#160 Post by Kajicat » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:21 pm

DeWayne McKnight was pretty awesome and ultra bubbly on this track:

Embed doesn't seem to work right now, so link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3-pxtWnwNY

kv

#161 Post by kv » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:51 pm

Juana wrote:
lol i saw them with him...he was solid

thoreau

#162 Post by thoreau » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:24 am

kv wrote:
Juana wrote:
lol i saw them with him...he was solid
He and his brother Lonnie (Weapon of Choice) are incredible musicians.

Larry B.

#163 Post by Larry B. » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:33 am

DH Peligro. Never forget.

Essence_Smith

#164 Post by Essence_Smith » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:13 am

Boredom is a bitch... :idea:

Kajicat

#165 Post by Kajicat » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:30 pm

thoreau wrote:He and his brother Lonnie (Weapon of Choice) are incredible musicians.
Hell yes. I saw Weapon of Choice open for RHCP in '96. Loved their album, "Highperspice." That was my shit in middle school.

Warped

#166 Post by Warped » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:40 pm

Just sent an email to DM regarding the dolphin tattoo, i cannot listen now, maybe he'll answer it..if so let me know pls.

thoreau

#167 Post by thoreau » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:16 am

Kajicat wrote:
thoreau wrote:He and his brother Lonnie (Weapon of Choice) are incredible musicians.
Hell yes. I saw Weapon of Choice open for RHCP in '96. Loved their album, "Highperspice." That was my shit in middle school.

:thumb:

My friends and I iused to call each other on the phone and do the album intro.

"Hey, man. What's happening?"
"Nuttin. Ayyyeee Yooooo!"

:lol:

sonny

#168 Post by sonny » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:19 am

SR wrote:So OHM is a good album except for lyrics and vocals? And I'm unclear on the idea that ak didn't fit. Was rhcp to abandon their entire identity formed from what many consider prior master strokes because Dave was new to the band?
ultimately you put dave in, then anthony doesn't fit anymore and anthony isn't going anywhere, it's his band. so the obvious thing is to say dave doesn't fit, but the truth is dave made it so anthony didn't fit anymore. suddenly anthony sounds out of place.

it doesn't mean dave flea and chad couldn't make good music together, they just can't if anthony is the vocalist.

SR

#169 Post by SR » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:26 am

sonny wrote:
SR wrote:So OHM is a good album except for lyrics and vocals? And I'm unclear on the idea that ak didn't fit. Was rhcp to abandon their entire identity formed from what many consider prior master strokes because Dave was new to the band?
ultimately you put dave in, then anthony doesn't fit anymore and anthony isn't going anywhere, it's his band. so the obvious thing is to say dave doesn't fit, but the truth is dave made it so anthony didn't fit anymore. suddenly anthony sounds out of place.

it doesn't mean dave flea and chad couldn't make good music together, they just can't if anthony is the vocalist.
For some time I didn't like OHM, but I've since grown to love it. I am no musician but I always thought the album was true to the RHCP paradigm, but with a fatter, richer guitar feel. :noclue:

Essence_Smith

#170 Post by Essence_Smith » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:33 am

I think it's debatable whether or not AK "fit" in the band once Dave was involved...I am a musician and based on my experience, even if the musical changes were too much for AK a lot more of the reason it prolly didn't work had more to do with personal issues than anyone wants to admit imo...they KNEW it was going to be a different sound and the dynamics would change as they have now since John's been gone...they prolly just don't care for each other etc...I was never a fan of OHM and like maybe 4 songs...I think By the Way is actually a better album... :hehe:

sonny

#171 Post by sonny » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:47 am

SR wrote:
sonny wrote:

For some time I didn't like OHM, but I've since grown to love it. I am no musician but I always thought the album was true to the RHCP paradigm, but with a fatter, richer guitar feel. :noclue:
coffee shop is a good example of the two styles mixing (dave's and rhcp) with horrible results.

i think there are good songs there, anthony managed to change his vocal for warped, one big mob is the perfect melding of anthony's vocal style to dave's guitar.

that's pretty much where it ends in my opinion. aeroplane is a terrible song. my friends is a good song but it could be by any alt band from that era. so it's not a great example either way. pea is a flea solo track, so we take that one out. i love that one, though.

the rest of the album falls flat. the songs sound like they are forced together and aren't even worthy of being b'side or rarities.

warped and one big mob aren't enough to carry this album.

bssm, mother's milk murder this album in comparison, if you want to do that.

californication, stadium arcadium, and i'm with you are all much better than OHM. obviously just opinions, but there it is from my side.

deconstruction is the high mark of dave navarro's post jane's addiction work.

sonny

#172 Post by sonny » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:51 am

Essence_Smith wrote:I think it's debatable whether or not AK "fit" in the band once Dave was involved...I am a musician and based on my experience, even if the musical changes were too much for AK a lot more of the reason it prolly didn't work had more to do with personal issues than anyone wants to admit imo...they KNEW it was going to be a different sound and the dynamics would change as they have now since John's been gone...they prolly just don't care for each other etc...I was never a fan of OHM and like maybe 4 songs...I think By the Way is actually a better album... :hehe:
i think personal issues were huge, as they were in jane's addiction. JA led to amazing songs at one time and had the RHCP been pleased with OHM, they would've put personal issues aside. as dave said, it was his best selling album, so he'd have stuck it out for the money and so would anthony if the songs were there, but it just never worked.

the funny thing is dave, tried to tell them it wouldn't work for a long time before he relented.

SR

#173 Post by SR » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:54 am

sonny wrote:
SR wrote:
sonny wrote:

coffee shop is a good example of the two styles mixing (dave's and rhcp) with horrible results.

i think there are good songs there, anthony managed to change his vocal for warped, one big mob is the perfect melding of anthony's vocal style to dave's guitar.

that's pretty much where it ends in my opinion. aeroplane is a terrible song. my friends is a good song but it could be by any alt band from that era. so it's not a great example either way. pea is a flea solo track, so we take that one out. i love that one, though.

the rest of the album falls flat. the songs sound like they are forced together and aren't even worthy of being b'side or rarities.

warped and one big mob aren't enough to carry this album.

bssm, mother's milk murder this album in comparison, if you want to do that.

californication, stadium arcadium, and i'm with you are all much better than OHM. obviously just opinions, but there it is from my side.

deconstruction is the high mark of dave navarro's post jane's addiction work.
:lol: Coffee Shop was the first song that caught my ear.....agreed on Deconstruction, it's beautiful,...and agreed on the order of 'excellence' in the catalogue, but I still love OHM. :thumb:

Matz

#174 Post by Matz » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:21 pm

SA and IWY better than OHM... :lol: :lol: jesus christ, that's fuckin out there

Essence_Smith

#175 Post by Essence_Smith » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:32 pm

Matz wrote:SA and IWY better than OHM... :lol: :lol: jesus christ, that's fuckin out there
I'm with you is a very good album...as always which one is better is matter of tastes, but I like it WAY better than OHM...