Dave speaks on how he didn't jive with the Peppers

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
blackula

Re: Dave speaks on how he didn't jive with the Peppers

#226 Post by blackula » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:01 am

Six7Six7 wrote:If Flea loves Dave so much and was so grateful to play with him, then why was every guitar player other than Dave inducted?

Flea is 1 of 2 things:

1. A liar
2. A minority partner in the decisions of his own band

I'd guess #1 is more probable.
I guess I'm in the minority here, Dave shouldn't be in the rock and roll hall of fame with the RHCP. The guitar players were Hillel and John. OHM was a one off super group album. If they put out another album it would be a different story.

Matz

#227 Post by Matz » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:14 am

it would be interesting to investigate into what's happened in the past regarding this type of situations. Has a former member of a band that's only played on one album ever been inducted?

panicparty

#228 Post by panicparty » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:59 am

Matz wrote:it would be interesting to investigate into what's happened in the past regarding this type of situations. Has a former member of a band that's only played on one album ever been inducted?
Pretty sure Robert Trujillo had only played on one Metallica album when they were inducted (including him).

Matz

#229 Post by Matz » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:19 am

that's correct. Then the Chili Peppers' lawýer was lying when he said that it wasn't the band's decision not to include Dave but the Hall's

tvrec

#230 Post by tvrec » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:31 am

Is it possible that someone--the band, Dave, the Hall, etc.--didn't want to induct Dave with the Chili Peppers because achieving inclusion in the HoF before one for Jane's didn't sit right? He only played on one album, it was not his primary project, and so on. (I don't think Robert Trujillo is in the same situation with Suicidal Tendencies.)

Pure Method

#231 Post by Pure Method » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:38 am

Matz wrote:that's correct. Then the Chili Peppers' lawýer was lying when he said that it wasn't the band's decision not to include Dave but the Hall's
Not necessarily. Wasn't Trujillo in the band during the induction? Coulda been weird to not include a current member.

Pandemonium

#232 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:46 am

The RnRHoF panel of industry drones that nominates and decides who should be included in any band's line-up as part of the induction have often excluded certain members of a band. KISS is going through that controversy right now. Other bands with notable members who were excluded in past inductions including Fleetwood Mac (no Bob Welch) and Black Sabbath (no Dio, Ian Gillian and about 20 other players). Sometimes the snub comes from the band or their management but more often, it's due to the HoF itself. My guess is someone way up in the HOF committee like Jann Wenner, David Marsh, Robert Hilburn or Suzan Evans didn't like Dave or maybe felt he'll get in w/Janes at some point. Elitist politics are weird that way.

someguy

#233 Post by someguy » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:53 am

Mescal wrote:
Juana wrote:3) He is friends with Anthony and will always side with him.. he almost quit the band in 2011 but then decided to keep it going because in the end he wanted to keep making music with his best friend.

People forget that aspect of it. Whether he loves Dave or not Anthony is his best friend.
Really? Flea wanted to quit?

Was that when Fru left?
John took over creatively during the making of by the way, which caused alot of tension. Flea was gonna go teach.

someguy

#234 Post by someguy » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:55 am

hokahey wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:If Flea loves Dave so much and was so grateful to play with him, then why was every guitar player other than Dave induct. ?

Flea is 1 of 2 things:

1. A liar
2. A minority partner in the decisions of his own band

I'd guess #1 is more probable.
Perhaps the situation is more nuanced than that? I don't see how he has to absolutely be one of those things as an answer to your question.
Jack Sherman wasn't inducted either. It's just real shady. The article below sheds some light:

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/ ... -hall-snub

Regarding the "playing on multiple albums" thing... I guess that doesn't apply to kiss with their other members??

Pandemonium

#235 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:56 am

Pure Method wrote:
Matz wrote:that's correct. Then the Chili Peppers' lawýer was lying when he said that it wasn't the band's decision not to include Dave but the Hall's
Not necessarily. Wasn't Trujillo in the band during the induction? Coulda been weird to not include a current member.
Trujillo has been in the band since 2003 just after the St Anger album was recorded and before they toured that record. When Metallica was inducted, all three bass players (Trujillo, Jason Newsted and the late Cliff Burton) were inducted and both Newsted and Trujillo performed with the band that night. Apparently, there was some heated discussion between Metallica and the HOF board when Metallica became aware they would be nominated because the board wanted to induct only the "Black album" lineup (w/Newsted) thus ignoring Cliff Burton(!) and Trujillo (who was apparently gracious enough to sit out the ceremony if push came to shove).

Essence_Smith

#236 Post by Essence_Smith » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:18 am

I'm just glad it didn't turn out like Blondie's induction... THAT was some shit right there... :no:

Essence_Smith

#237 Post by Essence_Smith » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:18 am

I'm just glad it didn't turn out like Blondie's induction... THAT was some shit right there... :no:

Xizen47

#238 Post by Xizen47 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:08 am

blackula wrote:I guess I'm in the minority here, Dave shouldn't be in the rock and roll hall of fame with the RHCP.
Not at all. Dave dosen't deserve to be there as a Chili Pepper. He wasn't that important in the grand scheme of things. Most people don't even think of OHM when it comes to the Chili Peppers.

Should be Anthony, Flea, Hillel, John, Chad,, and maybe Jack Irons.

Juana

#239 Post by Juana » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:53 pm

Desri wrote:
Mescal wrote:
Juana wrote:3) He is friends with Anthony and will always side with him.. he almost quit the band in 2011 but then decided to keep it going because in the end he wanted to keep making music with his best friend.

People forget that aspect of it. Whether he loves Dave or not Anthony is his best friend.
Really? Flea wanted to quit?

Was that when Fru left?
It was in the early 2000s, I think actually after Californication. From memory he stayed fairly non-specific, talked a lot about being in a sort of dark place, but didn't really go in to details as to why.
He was weighing his options in 2011 as well.

trevor ayer

#240 Post by trevor ayer » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:52 pm

Suicidal Tendencies shoulda been inducted long before Metallica .. first record was a classic .. so was Mustaine inducted with Metallica? .. he wrote all the good tunes ..

JOEinPHX

#241 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:08 pm

trevor ayer wrote:. so was Mustaine inducted with Metallica? .. he wrote all the good tunes ..
Nope

http://rockhall.com/inductees/metallica/

Only the bass players. Which means Mustaine is the only person to be a member of Metallica who wasn't inducted. Amazing.

I supposed a similar thing with Navarro. They figured he would get in with his other band.

Pandemonium

#242 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:53 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:
trevor ayer wrote:. so was Mustaine inducted with Metallica? .. he wrote all the good tunes ..
Only the bass players. Which means Mustaine is the only person to be a member of Metallica who wasn't inducted. Amazing.
Well, original bass player Ron McGovney wasn't included either.

blackula

#243 Post by blackula » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:02 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:
Well, original bass player Ron McGovney wasn't included either.
Yeah Mustaine wrote most of Kill Em All, has riffs used in Ride the Lightning and I think even in Master of Puppets. Chad Channing is another dude getting the shaft. Nirvana has 4 studio albums, Channing in on more than 1(I don't remember how many Incesticide songs he was on). He drummed on Bleach and from what I read Dave Grohl copied all his drum parts from the nevermind demos, he's also the drummer for the 1st In Bloom Sub Pop video.

Kajicat

#244 Post by Kajicat » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:06 am

Xizen47 wrote:He (Dave) wasn't that important in the grand scheme of things. Most people don't even think of OHM when it comes to the Chili Peppers.
I disagree with that. Josh was inducted, and he's only been on 1 RHCP album, which struggled to go Gold. Dave played on a double platinum RHCP album and was with the band when they were putting out major singles. RHCP was much more relevant with Dave than they are now with Josh. But, I can see why he wasn't included since he'll probably get into the HOF with Jane's, which makes more sense.

Cliff Martinez (drums) was inducted as a RHCP member and he only played on Freaky Styley, which people will think of less than OHM, and didn't come close to selling as many copies as OHM. Cliff wasn't nearly as essential to the band as Navarro was, yet he made it in.

Dave will get in with Jane's.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#245 Post by Hokahey » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:55 pm

Kajicat wrote:
Xizen47 wrote:He (Dave) wasn't that important in the grand scheme of things. Most people don't even think of OHM when it comes to the Chili Peppers.
I disagree with that. Josh was inducted, and he's only been on 1 RHCP album, which struggled to go Gold. Dave played on a double platinum RHCP album and was with the band when they were putting out major singles. RHCP was much more relevant with Dave than they are now with Josh. But, I can see why he wasn't included since he'll probably get into the HOF with Jane's, which makes more sense.

Cliff Martinez (drums) was inducted as a RHCP member and he only played on Freaky Styley, which people will think of less than OHM, and didn't come close to selling as many copies as OHM. Cliff wasn't nearly as essential to the band as Navarro was, yet he made it in.

Dave will get in with Jane's.
Why is everyone so sure Jane's is going to get in?

Pandemonium

#246 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:20 pm

hokahey wrote:Why is everyone so sure Jane's is going to get in?
Because Perry is an industry suit n' tie guy now. Jann Wenner and Dave Marsh are probably on his Christmas card list.

JOEinPHX

#247 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:56 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
Because Perry is an industry suit n' tie guy now. Jann Wenner and Dave Marsh are probably on his Christmas card list.
I'd say this is on point.

Jane's will get in simply because Lollapalooza has kept Perry in the spotlight.

The only question is whether Etty's name will appear above or below Eric's on the induction announcement.

Jasper

#248 Post by Jasper » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:04 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
Christmas? :hs:

Pandemonium

#249 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:00 pm

Jasper wrote:
Pandemonium wrote:
Christmas? :hs:
Aww gimme a break, I'm generalizing here. I don't know the religious affiliation of Wenner and Marsh, but I bet Perry's family doesn't ignore Christmas just because they may celebrate Hanukkah or other Jewish holidays. I mean, do you think Etty actually abstains from anything on Yom Kippur?

Oy vey.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#250 Post by Hokahey » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:11 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:
Pandemonium wrote:
I'd say this is on point.

Jane's will get in simply because Lollapalooza has kept Perry in the spotlight.

The only question is whether Etty's name will appear above or below Eric's on the induction announcement.
I'm not buying it. Lollapalooza is not Jane's Addiction.

Isn't Jane's already eligible?

Can someone name me a similar band (from a general population view point, not ours) that is in?