uk jane's dates

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Matz

Re: uk jane's dates

#51 Post by Matz » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:31 pm

cool man, yeah, that was a very, very special night. All I can say is: thank God mtv was there to capture it

Larry B.

#52 Post by Larry B. » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:47 pm

I'm in agreement as well. I bought a bootleg VHS of that show probably around 13-15 years ago and I was so fucking happy. Dave's skirt confused my sexuality even more, but it was such a beautiful show.

Noonesshocking

#53 Post by Noonesshocking » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:04 pm

Dave talking about how faithful he wants to be to the recordings got me thinking for a second they might tune back up to E.

Then I remembered this is Jane's addiction.

danhans

#54 Post by danhans » Thu May 01, 2014 4:20 am

Got my ticket this morning.. Live nation presale. Hope he doesn't lose he's voice again. Still pissed off about reading.

Japhy

#55 Post by Japhy » Thu May 01, 2014 6:00 am

danhans wrote:Got my ticket this morning.. Live nation presale. Hope he doesn't lose he's voice again. Still pissed off about reading.
Mate, i'm a total Perry devotee but even i have to admit that it might not be such a bad thing if he does lose his voice again... it's not been sounding good recently. Hopefully he'll just fucking go for it and whack the echo on every time he nails a note!

Hearing that majestic album done in full was just too much for my negative hate-filled body to ignore!

SR

#56 Post by SR » Thu May 01, 2014 7:43 am

Matz wrote:A Dave quote about the shows
He also added that even though he is now a more technically gifted guitarist, he hopes to recapture some of the youthful energy of the original recording, flaws and all. He stated: "I've not really listened to 'Nothing's Shocking' since it came out but I have done recently. It was very strange and struck me how fearless we were, even though the playing's not as good. It's weird for me to have to relearn my own band's music. A lack of education on your instrument can lead to more visceral music. But these shows are going to be great, and I can't wait."
Read more at http://www.nme.com/news/janes-addiction ... 57XzcH0.99
Apparantly he's a bit delusional. His technique is not as good now as it was in the 80's and 90's from what I judge anyway
Really.....I know yr a musicaian, but this is the most spot on, articulate, and insightful thing said about the different versions of the band I have heard any of them say. This makes me want to go to LV

Japhy

#57 Post by Japhy » Thu May 01, 2014 8:07 am

SR wrote:Really.....I know yr a musicaian, but this is the most spot on, articulate, and insightful thing said about the different versions of the band I have heard any of them say. This makes me want to go to LV
Amen SR. I wasn't joking yesterday when i said that reading Dave's interview is what made me grab a ticket.

Matz

#58 Post by Matz » Thu May 01, 2014 10:50 am

SR wrote:
Matz wrote:A Dave quote about the shows
He also added that even though he is now a more technically gifted guitarist, he hopes to recapture some of the youthful energy of the original recording, flaws and all. He stated: "I've not really listened to 'Nothing's Shocking' since it came out but I have done recently. It was very strange and struck me how fearless we were, even though the playing's not as good. It's weird for me to have to relearn my own band's music. A lack of education on your instrument can lead to more visceral music. But these shows are going to be great, and I can't wait."
Read more at http://www.nme.com/news/janes-addiction ... 57XzcH0.99
Apparantly he's a bit delusional. His technique is not as good now as it was in the 80's and 90's from what I judge anyway
Really.....I know yr a musicaian, but this is the most spot on, articulate, and insightful thing said about the different versions of the band I have heard any of them say. This makes me want to go to LV
I just don't think it makes a lot of sense. He's essentially saying that if he went in and re-recorded NS today he could do a better job and play more interesting/cooler solos and such. I don't think so. Just compare TGEA to NS guitar playing wise. And is he talking about Ritual as well, cause then he's really losing it imo. He could be suffering from the "I refuse to accept I have faded a lot as an artist" syndrome.

Flea had the same thing going on when he once said that SA was the best they'd ever done :lol:

SR

#59 Post by SR » Thu May 01, 2014 12:44 pm

I didn't read his words to meet your interpretation at all. Funny!

As for SA, it's a great album, but not their best. :nod: Ask any GR anywhere.

erotic cheeses

#60 Post by erotic cheeses » Thu May 01, 2014 3:30 pm

As a massive uberfan for so long I cannot believe i am still undecided on whether to go see this. Fifty or two hundred miles travel when there was a time I would have crawled over broken glass chewing thistles to see this....

Matz

#61 Post by Matz » Thu May 01, 2014 3:38 pm

SR wrote:I didn't read his words to meet your interpretation at all. Funny!

wasn't trying to be funny really. I'm just really surprised he'd dis his playing like that, cause I think it's great. The solos in Ocean size, Mountain Song, Pigs in zen e.g are amazing

elbuitre

#62 Post by elbuitre » Fri May 02, 2014 3:44 am

My expectations for this will be quite low. I thought they'd stepped back up the tuning? Haven't being paying close attention for a while now.

jgp

#63 Post by jgp » Fri May 02, 2014 5:16 am

I vowed Centro was my last JA gig.

I caved, bought a ticket for Brixton.

Be good to see anyone going from here. Dannyboy, PB, its been a while.

Japhy

#64 Post by Japhy » Fri May 02, 2014 6:52 am

jgp wrote:I vowed Centro was my last JA gig.

I seem to remember you (or someone with a similar set of letters!) saying that at the time. Hopefully i'll be meeting up with dannyboy so would be good to hook up with you too. Bit of a jaunt down for me so any excuse to get there early and go for a pint is a good one. I can PM my mobile nearer the time.

SR

#65 Post by SR » Fri May 02, 2014 7:05 am

Matz wrote:

wasn't trying to be funny really. I'm just really surprised he'd dis his playing like that, cause I think it's great. The solos in Ocean size, Mountain Song, Pigs in zen e.g are amazing
No, Matz....'funny' we read it so differently. :tiphat:

Warped

#66 Post by Warped » Fri May 02, 2014 7:45 am

To the UK people

What is the best source to buy tickets? Never done that for the UK so .... :wave:

Larry B.

#67 Post by Larry B. » Fri May 02, 2014 8:08 am

elbuitre wrote:I thought they'd stepped back up the tuning? Haven't being paying close attention for a while now.
Nope. :wavesad:

Japhy

#68 Post by Japhy » Fri May 02, 2014 9:17 am

Warped wrote:To the UK people

What is the best source to buy tickets? Never done that for the UK so .... :wave:
Hey!

Off the top of my head, seetickets.com, stargreen.com and ticketweb.co.uk all have tickets. Pretty sure that ticketmaster.co.uk will also be selling them. Prices are pretty much identical across the lot of them, roughly £45-£47 with all fees / postage. Ticketweb has the print at home option so you wouldn't need to worry about shipping tickets across europe.

Matz

#69 Post by Matz » Fri May 02, 2014 9:26 am

SR wrote:
Matz wrote:

No, Matz....'funny' we read it so differently. :tiphat:
Ahaaa, I agree

Essence_Smith

#70 Post by Essence_Smith » Fri May 02, 2014 9:48 am

Matz wrote:I just don't think it makes a lot of sense. He's essentially saying that if he went in and re-recorded NS today he could do a better job and play more interesting/cooler solos and such. I don't think so. Just compare TGEA to NS guitar playing wise. And is he talking about Ritual as well, cause then he's really losing it imo. He could be suffering from the "I refuse to accept I have faded a lot as an artist" syndrome
No offense but I think you're adding something of how you feel about Dave now to what he actually said...where in this very SMALL piece did he say he could do it "better" now??? I saw the word "different" used, and he definitely expresses that he feels the playing on the NS recordings isn't as "good" TECHNICALLY speaking, but him using the word fearless says the most ot me because that's what they were...I think the interpretation of what Dave says has more to do with your understanding of how much a musician values technique over feeling...if you wanna paraphrase he's saying that he enjoys the fact that though they weren't as tight they seemed to take more chances and go different places than they do now...he's also saying that having gone back and listened he feels it will have a good effect on the energy they've gotten away from over the years...I dunno...I read it and I completely get what he's saying...

Matz

#71 Post by Matz » Fri May 02, 2014 10:36 am

Essence_Smith wrote:
Matz wrote:I just don't think it makes a lot of sense. He's essentially saying that if he went in and re-recorded NS today he could do a better job and play more interesting/cooler solos and such. I don't think so. Just compare TGEA to NS guitar playing wise. And is he talking about Ritual as well, cause then he's really losing it imo. He could be suffering from the "I refuse to accept I have faded a lot as an artist" syndrome
No offense but I think you're adding something of how you feel about Dave now to what he actually said...where in this very SMALL piece did he say he could do it "better" now??? I saw the word "different" used, and he definitely expresses that he feels the playing on the NS recordings isn't as "good" TECHNICALLY speaking,
Nowhere. But when he says "the playing's not as good" he is, to me, saying indirectly that he could do a better job now than then. I still don't know what he means exactly though, cause "the playing's not as good" could address either the technical aspect or the phrasing/riffing aspect or both. If it's the technical I don't get it, because the playing isn't sloppy or out of time and if it's creative side I dont get that either cause it's all great.

I'd have thought that if Dave was to give his opinion on NS he'd say that he was very proud of it and wouldn't change a thing

jgp

#72 Post by jgp » Fri May 02, 2014 11:09 am

Japhy wrote:
jgp wrote:I vowed Centro was my last JA gig.

I seem to remember you (or someone with a similar set of letters!) saying that at the time. Hopefully i'll be meeting up with dannyboy so would be good to hook up with you too. Bit of a jaunt down for me so any excuse to get there early and go for a pint is a good one. I can PM my mobile nearer the time.
Hi Japhy.

Yeah perfect, please do that, be good to see you. Always up for a few pre show pints. I will be heading over from Bristol, so will be there later in the afternoon.

phenobarb_bambalam

#73 Post by phenobarb_bambalam » Fri May 02, 2014 2:41 pm

It's nice to see people coming out of hibernation for this.

JGP...I am with you...I has sworn off seeing them after too many panto efforts, but this is difficult to pass up. I can't say that I am dead excited about the album performances, given that they've played the songs to death over the years, but I am (naively) hoping that they'll dig deep and go retro with their marathon encores. Am expecting BCS...praying for Kettle Whistle (etc.). Silly me...

I'll only be catching the ones in the States, sadly, but will raise to toast to you all come August.

jgp

#74 Post by jgp » Sat May 03, 2014 7:08 am

Yeah, that is what swayed my decision for this, I'm really hoping for something special and to be honest, Ritual, masterpiece that it is, Nothing's Shocking is the record I fell in love with back in '88. The whole look, sound and vibe of Jane's back then was incredible. I also think this is probably the last time we will get to see them in the UK.

Sorry we wont see you over here PB, enjoy the shows in the US. Be sure to tell us they were great (even if they were shit) :bigrin:

kv

#75 Post by kv » Sat May 03, 2014 7:15 am

suckers