hi-impact video w/ correct quality

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Hype

Re: hi-impact video w/ correct quality

#26 Post by Hype » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:31 am

trevor ayer wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:Listening to that video again for the thousandth time... it really occurs to me how huge an influence just that one song... Idiots Rule... was on Blind Melon. Every Blind Melon song has that same exact musical trajectory.
soup makes a pretty good janes album really
So does I Mother Earth's Dig, and so does the first (self-titled) The Music record. What they all lacked was the variety (and deftness) that those two JA albums had. Soup is a great album, but it's very monotone, vocally and even instrumentally (I know, that's harsh, and I love Shannon, but his falsetto never gave him a huge range of notes or styles, and the guitar is all the same), and same goes for IME.

JA spoke to me because those two albums have extremely split A and B sides, and even on each side, there are curveballs and changeups... While still maintaining a kind of cohesive overall feel. I'm not sure that has ever been done better (but a lot of bands have made a lot of better singular things... songs, albums, performances, etc.)

Citiclub89

#27 Post by Citiclub89 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:51 am

Six7Six7 wrote:"You guys are all so wrong.

Everyone knows that the 9/12/88 show was the best one they've ever done. The band was firing on all cylinders and Perry's banter between songs was that of legend.

It just doesn't get any better than that show for me. Man I wish Perk would go into his closet and dust off those old tapes and release the soundboards of that show.

and probably the three days poem too. They should release that while they still have an audience.

And if they don't release a DVD of Lolla 91 they are just crazy. That whole thing needs to be available."

-1%/xiola.org/aintnoright.net/janesaddiction.net/perryfarrell.net/aintnoright.org

</thread>

LOL no way! 3/21/89 @ citi club Boston was the best show ever. They played Blood Rag which by all accounts has only been done one other time. Truly the best concert I've ever been to. Audio is available take a listen. :)

</board>

Mescal

#28 Post by Mescal » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:32 pm

Which show is the 9/12/88 show?

JOEinPHX

#29 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:37 pm

Mescal wrote:Which show is the 9/12/88 show?
I think the boot is called "Everything's Shocking"

It's the one where they did that really long intro on Ted.

Bandit72

#30 Post by Bandit72 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:52 am

drwintercreeper wrote:Soup is the greatest album by any band of all time. There is something in there for everyone to like.
Really?

drifter

#31 Post by drifter » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:02 am

Six7Six7 wrote:

:crazy:

JOEinPHX

#32 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:37 am

drifter wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:

:crazy:
I was wondering how long I could keep that going. :lol:

Matz

#33 Post by Matz » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:05 am

tubro wrote:those two shows were magical JA.
if someone has a boot of the first Hammerstein please pm me or post a link, I'm dying to check it out

zendo

#34 Post by zendo » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:13 pm

I was at the first Hammerstein relapse show in NYC Oct 30th. Does anyone know if MTV taped both the 30th and the 31st or if there was a substantial difference between the nights? My memory was the 30th was magical and perfect. Having only the 31st show video of the "MTV Live at the 10 Spot" I believe it was called. Hoping my memory of the night before show is still somewhat in tact.

I do know that the crowd that night would just not leave for a full 30-40 minutes after the last encore and the band was basically forced to do I Would for You by sheer will power of the crowd. The vibe was not at all like a planned second encore it was organic and amazing. The next night they did it again of course. I saw Lola 91 just outside Washington DC as well but for me the years leading up to this relapse show and what they delivered that night blew my mind. :heart:

trevor ayer

#35 Post by trevor ayer » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:13 pm

I have a vhs of the 30th at hammerstein but I know everyone here is all about the digital tech .. I haven't watched it in at least a decade .. I listen to the soundboard Halloween show for my relapse fix and the enit occasionally .. maybe i will dig it out and see if it is worth transfering .. and then charge $600 for a copy :lolol: :boobs:

creep
Site Admin

#36 Post by creep » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:22 pm

i have a dvd of the show...the quality isn't worth your time. i also have a partial audio recording. i also have a dvd of the soundcheck which is pretty good from that night.

Mescal

#37 Post by Mescal » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:44 am

Six7Six7 wrote:

09/12/1988 - Newark, DE - Stone Balloon

Anyway, so, it's all a joke?

I don't get it :noclue:

Mescal

#38 Post by Mescal » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:45 am

Is there any other decent audio recording of relapse than the MTV Hammerstein show ?

MYXYLPLYX

#39 Post by MYXYLPLYX » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:28 am

Mescal wrote:Is there any other decent audio recording of relapse than the MTV Hammerstein show ?

I think ENIT festival show is the best Relapse boot besides Hammerstein...

:noclue:

Matz

#40 Post by Matz » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:05 am

creep has audio from the night before 31/10-97 but aint uploadin'.. .. :no:

I had Aragon ballroom once, I remember that being ok sounding....the playing tho wasn't nearly as cool as hammerstein, but still great

kv

#41 Post by kv » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:07 pm

97 was a shadow of 1.0...a shadow nobody thought they would ever see again which is why the early relapse shows were sooo good...but ya 89-90 jane's is their peak imho

creep
Site Admin

#42 Post by creep » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:30 pm

Matz wrote:creep has audio from the night before 31/10-97 but aint uploadin'.. .. :no:
if you really want it remind me in a few weeks. i'm moving now and most of my stuff is in boxes.

blackula

#43 Post by blackula » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:49 pm

Halloween relapse show was my first Jane's show. It was amazing but I still have to say 1.0 was better live even though I never saw them and only have boots to go on. Eric Avery and the original inspiration beats a reunion or relapse every time. Someone posted Oceansize from a club in Seattle a while back, maybe on xiola, and that one clip of 1.0 destroying Oceansize kills relapse. I was 18 and that is still my favorite show I've ever been to, but I would kill to have seen 1.0 live.

I remember coming across a 4 or 5 song CD of the Chicago relapse show and thinking that it sucked. If I remember correctly Perry's voice seemed fucked up and Chip Away sounded bad. That was 15 years ago so I may be remembering that wrong.

Matz

#44 Post by Matz » Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:34 am

creep wrote:
Matz wrote:creep has audio from the night before 31/10-97 but aint uploadin'.. .. :no:
if you really want it remind me in a few weeks. i'm moving now and most of my stuff is in boxes.
cool, thanks

creep
Site Admin

#45 Post by creep » Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:23 am

Matz wrote:
creep wrote:
cool, thanks
i found it

it's partial...only 8 songs and the quality isn't great but here you go.

https://www.wetransfer.com/downloads/47 ... 352/0c03e4

Matz

#46 Post by Matz » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:09 am

excellent, thanks a lot!

Sounds to me like a pretty standard Relapse show i.e. very solid perfomances from everybody but not on the level of 31/10. Dave' solos in Three days for instance arent' as cool as the next nights, but how the fuck could they be almost. Seems like the cameras really pushed them to their peak or something on the Halloween one.

A lot of the 8 songs here can really only be played one way, roughly, like Jane says. so it would have been cool to have Ocean size and Whores also etc where there's room for improv (from Dave :hehe: )

On a side note, I love the flute or whatever it is that's being played at the very end of Chip away, they use it in Three days (the movie) as well, I wonder who played that and where?! On stage that night?...sounds so cool and beautiful

LJF

#47 Post by LJF » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:34 am

zendo wrote:I was at the first Hammerstein relapse show in NYC Oct 30th. Does anyone know if MTV taped both the 30th and the 31st or if there was a substantial difference between the nights? My memory was the 30th was magical and perfect. Having only the 31st show video of the "MTV Live at the 10 Spot" I believe it was called. Hoping my memory of the night before show is still somewhat in tact.

I do know that the crowd that night would just not leave for a full 30-40 minutes after the last encore and the band was basically forced to do I Would for You by sheer will power of the crowd. The vibe was not at all like a planned second encore it was organic and amazing. The next night they did it again of course. I saw Lola 91 just outside Washington DC as well but for me the years leading up to this relapse show and what they delivered that night blew my mind. :heart:

I was at both Hammerstein shows and both were excellent. I think it was the second show were the crowd pulled MTVs camera down was better. That happened just a few feet from me. The crowd and show was very intense. one of the best if not the best show I've seen.

trevor ayer

#48 Post by trevor ayer » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:58 am

relapse was basically years and years of janes fans pent up waiting exploding at the mere thought of a janes reunion .. after that everyone realized it just is not the same without eric, and the interest waned .. unfortunately the crowd response during relapse is part of the reason the remaining janes thought they were just as good without eric, and went on to poop out strays and leave it floating in our watery minds for the next 20 years .. just flush that shit perry ... flush it never to be seen again .. at least a dog will hide behind bushes when taking a crap .. at least a dog has a sense of dignity and shame .. perry .. not so much

LJF

#49 Post by LJF » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:00 pm

trevor ayer wrote:relapse was basically years and years of janes fans pent up waiting exploding at the mere thought of a janes reunion .. after that everyone realized it just is not the same without eric, and the interest waned .. unfortunately the crowd response during relapse is part of the reason the remaining janes thought they were just as good without eric, and went on to poop out strays and leave it floating in our watery minds for the next 20 years .. just flush that shit perry ... flush it never to be seen again .. at least a dog will hide behind bushes when taking a crap .. at least a dog has a sense of dignity and shame .. perry .. not so much

A lot of anger there. Please step away, take a walk. Breathe deeply. Always my dogs have no problem shitting in the middle of the yard, very rarely behind a bush.

I think we all need to take a step back and try to remember one just one good moment in time that JA represents. Maybe that should be a new topic. Will get to it after I put kids to bed.

Jasper

#50 Post by Jasper » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:35 am

Matz wrote:Seems like the cameras really pushed them to their peak or something on the Halloween one.
I'm sure the live broadcast made it extra exciting, but remember that this was Halloween. Almost everyone in that place was dressed up and going nuts. The theatrical freakshow wasn't just on the two stages, it was throughout the audience. Halloween in New York, man. :agree: :noclue:
Matz wrote:On a side note, I love the flute or whatever it is that's being played at the very end of Chip away, they use it in Three days (the movie) as well, I wonder who played that and where?! On stage that night?...sounds so cool and beautiful
They had some weird DJ or two up in a little window (or something). There's a brief shot on the MTV thing, I think. Maybe they were in charge of that type of thing.