Larry B.

Re: hi-impact video w/ correct quality

#3 Post by Larry B. » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:09 am

Damn good. And Casey... oh Casey.

Stickyfingers

#4 Post by Stickyfingers » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:02 am

"Everybody want to escape from reality"

Thus Spoke The Great Escape Artist, 24 year ago....
before escaping from alternative reality and get into reality (shows)

Essence_Smith

#5 Post by Essence_Smith » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:43 am

Lest we forget... :nod:

CaseyContrarian

#6 Post by CaseyContrarian » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:26 am

Want... More...

Matz

#7 Post by Matz » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:30 am

yeah it's cool. 1.0 weren't really on Relapse level, but damn solid anyway

creep
Site Admin

#8 Post by creep » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:40 am

Matz wrote:yeah it's cool. 1.0 weren't really on Relapse level, but damn solid anyway
:crazy:

Pandemonium

#9 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:10 am

nestos wrote:
Ah yes, the show when I got bit on the shoulder by some bitch trying to get past me to the rail. Good times.

Essence_Smith

#10 Post by Essence_Smith » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:27 am

Pandemonium wrote:Ah yes, the show when I got bit on the shoulder by some bitch trying to get past me to the rail. Good times.
Dangerous band, dangerous crowd... :hehe:

Did she draw blood? :hs:

SR

#11 Post by SR » Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:15 pm

Chills.

Matz

#12 Post by Matz » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:11 pm

creep wrote:
Matz wrote:yeah it's cool. 1.0 weren't really on Relapse level, but damn solid anyway
I challenge anyone to find cooler and more powerful versions of the songs Stop, Ain't no right and Ocean size than the ones from Hammerstein..can't be done.

I'll forever see that show as the ultimate Jane's experience

creep
Site Admin

#13 Post by creep » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:41 pm

Matz wrote:
creep wrote:
I challenge anyone to find cooler and more powerful versions of the songs Stop, Ain't no right and Ocean size than the ones from Hammerstein..can't be done.

I'll forever see that show as the ultimate Jane's experience
i only searched for five minutes but i still think i won. 97 was great but nothing compares to the raw live energy of 1.0. of course you have the advantage because as we all know there isn't much quality footage out there of 1.0.

Matz

#14 Post by Matz » Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:26 pm

Comparing the two versions of Ocean size I'll say the energy is about the same. For me I think the Hammerstein version grooves slightly better. Flea and Dave just locked in beautifully with each other.

The big difference for me is the guitar playing (and I'm a guitar player so I probably focus a lot more on that than most people here). On a lot of the live solos from 1.0, it seems to me like Dave's looking down on his guitar thinking: "Ok, I can play this note and then this etc". So he plays what he sees, and that usually tend to make for not interesting solos/phrases. The solos in "your" version of Ocean size are good examples of what I mean. They sound unstructured and boring, they don't really tell a story. Sure there a cool moments here and there, but you don't go Wow and remember them!

Whereas on the Hammerstein version I get the feeling that Dave heard one cool little phrase after the other in his head and then executed them and the solos are beautifully phrased and powerful and cool as hell. They're like little songs within the song. Could be the heroin playing, dunno, whatever it was I think it's one of the all time great guitar live rock performances there are anywhere.

I also think the visuals beat the 1.0. Dave is his robe and horns, Flea in that crazy suit and likewise with Perry, it's just the coolest thing I've ever seen.

But I'm guessing you don't agree still, so let's just agree to disagree here. It's fine with me. :cool:

SofiaForever

#15 Post by SofiaForever » Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:44 pm

So cool, thanks for the high def version. And yes - Casey, oh Casey :love:

Pandemonium

#16 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:51 pm

Essence_Smith wrote:
Pandemonium wrote:Ah yes, the show when I got bit on the shoulder by some bitch trying to get past me to the rail. Good times.
Dangerous band, dangerous crowd... :hehe:

Did she draw blood? :hs:
Yeah, she broke the skin and drew a little blood. I know I've related this story here before and it was actually the 4/21/89 show I was at (I think the clip is from 4/25). I got tickets to this show specifically because it was a Friday night. Aside from I think seeing Killing Joke in '85 there, that's been my only show at that venue.

Anyway, this show was General Admission seating which made it really easy to get up front despite JAFord staff trying to keep people in their seats and out of the isles while the opening band (whom I forget) did their set. We got there plenty early so we had a good spot right in the pit on the barrier in front of the stage on Dave's side. But when Jane's came on, it got pretty chaotic right away and people were constantly trying to not only get to the front crush, but get on the stage. Didn't help they had the fog machines going on overdrive so you couldn't see shit 5 feet in front of you which probably emboldened the more obnoxious assholes.

About mid-way through the show, this skinny dark haired goth chick got behind me and was trying to climb right over me and my buddy to probably get on the stage. After a few unsuccessful tries, she just bit hard on my right shoulder and I shoved her off of me and she was going nuts swinging and screaming. It hurt like a motherfucker. Luckily, a huge bouncer saw it happen and grabbed her by her arm and yanked her right up and over the barrier and she probably was thrown out. Afterwords my buddy said my shoulder looked like someone pressed a jagged edged soup can against my shoulder.

Similar thing happened a few years prior at a Lords Of The New Church show at The Palace in Hollywood.

Pandemonium

#17 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:59 pm

creep wrote:i only searched for five minutes but i still think i won. 97 was great but nothing compares to the raw live energy of 1.0. of course you have the advantage because as we all know there isn't much quality footage out there of 1.0.
Although I agree, I think the '90 shows were on average stronger than the '91 Lolla shows. I base that on the 12/19/90 vs 7/24/91 shows I saw as well as the few bootlegs I've heard/seen from both years. That said, I think the '97 San Francisco ENIT show was the best Jane's show I've ever personally seen, but a lot of that had to do with the setup of the venue and the overall vibe of that night vs how good the band actually played or how decent the setlist was.

JOEinPHX

#18 Post by JOEinPHX » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:45 pm

"You guys are all so wrong.

Everyone knows that the 9/12/88 show was the best one they've ever done. The band was firing on all cylinders and Perry's banter between songs was that of legend.

It just doesn't get any better than that show for me. Man I wish Perk would go into his closet and dust off those old tapes and release the soundboards of that show.

and probably the three days poem too. They should release that while they still have an audience.

And if they don't release a DVD of Lolla 91 they are just crazy. That whole thing needs to be available."

-1%/xiola.org/aintnoright.net/janesaddiction.net/perryfarrell.net/aintnoright.org

</thread>

</board>

trevor ayer

#19 Post by trevor ayer » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:28 am

yeah the bass and singing from relapse kinda blew .. flea is great but anyone who plays pick songs with fingers is a fucking moron .. sorry flea you are a moron .. the relapse was janes last OK moment .. certainly not them at their peak .. I personally love everything from 86 87 but they sounded super tight by the first lolla as well .. all around great band the first time around during any 1.0 era

tubro

#20 Post by tubro » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:48 pm

agree to disagree is fair, matz. i think i'll agree with all. saw 1.0 a bunch of times (although not until 90) and saw a few relapses. as another guitarist i agree that dave brought a more evolved knowledge base to the 97 shows. there again he's continued to evolve and some of what he's played in the past few years represents even better playing than 97 or 1.0, and certainly nobody could argue that they're better now than then. so that argument only goes so far for me. i do love flea and thought he did a great job, but for me eric in 1.0 simply has never been approached for JA perfection (and to be honest, i'd put flea third behind martyn on jubilee). so for me, 1.0 was hands down better than relapse. but here's where i agree with matz. the best of the jane's addiction rock gods showed up at hammerstein (and probably SF enit, which i missed). like i said, i saw relapse a few other places and they were great but not nearly as great as hammerstein. those two shows were magical JA. it all felt right - i remember thinking that flea was helping out but the band was so fucking good that it was inevitable that EA would return and they' pick up where they left off after RDLH. guess i had that wrong. but those shows, man, holy shit. then she did. ocean size. summertime. classic girl. fucking i would for you. saw all that (except IWFY) in miami and philly and some college gym shitbox outside boston where the crowd rushed the stage and fucked shit up, and they were all terrific but nothing like hammerstein.

as for this JAFT footage, too bad about the tripping editor making it all so hard to look at, but hell yeah that was some monster shit. it's time to open up the vaults. maybe if perry is declared incompetent by a court and his wife takes over the assets (like donald sterling), she'll release all the live stuff. when the touring revenue runs dry, the tapes are all that's left. there is hope.

Jasper

#21 Post by Jasper » Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:20 pm

Yeah, I've had this on some VHS bootleg or other forever. Didn't the whole thing get taped or something like that?

Anyway, about Matz and the Hammerstein show on Halloween, I know we've been over this more than once. People here who were there seem to agree that it was a superb show. Nevertheless, my favorite Jane's show (favorite rock show of all time, really) was a 1.0 performance. Hammerstein was still magical, no doubt about that.

As someone else mentioned, the Hammerstein show was superbly documented by MTV, so it's a bit unfair to use that presentation as a comparison to 1.0 performances. Somehow some of the most colorful, theatrical aspects of 1.0 performances weren't well-preserved on film for posterity. Some of the best professional video documentations (like Milan) are pretty bare bones in terms of stage presentation (though I enjoy the funerary feel of that Milan show).

trevor ayer

#22 Post by trevor ayer » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:41 pm

also relapse perry had shit for hair .. and relapse dave could not play summertime to save his life .. it just sucked compared to the og days

Hype

#23 Post by Hype » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:58 am

Listening to that video again for the thousandth time... it really occurs to me how huge an influence just that one song... Idiots Rule... was on Blind Melon. Every Blind Melon song has that same exact musical trajectory.

trevor ayer

#24 Post by trevor ayer » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:06 am

Adurentibus Spina wrote:Listening to that video again for the thousandth time... it really occurs to me how huge an influence just that one song... Idiots Rule... was on Blind Melon. Every Blind Melon song has that same exact musical trajectory.
soup makes a pretty good janes album really

drwintercreeper

#25 Post by drwintercreeper » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:11 am

Soup is the greatest album by any band of all time. There is something in there for everyone to like.