Had a Dream, Big and Strong

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
cabangbangq

Had a Dream, Big and Strong

#1 Post by cabangbangq » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:02 pm

I had a bizarre dream last night that subconsciously validated the present day disappointment that Jane's Addiction is and how awesome they once were.

In my dream, my friends and I were going to the Palace of Fine Arts in San Francisco (god knows how they end up playing the Palace of Fine Arts). Upon getting there, we realize it's a seated show and it's half empty. The crowd doesn't really get any bigger and Jane's keeps pushing back their set time further and further. After a half hour, someone gets pissed off and goes to the soundboard and finds a laptop and presses play. This sets off a video on the projection of the classic, "Senores y senoras, nosotros tenemos mas influencia..."

At this point, I assume the band freaked out and realized they had to get on stage and almost on cue, Dave comes out and starts playing the opening chords of Stop. The lights come on, and the band is playing, no Perry in sight yet. Dave is on the left side of the stage, Cheney is in the middle, and on the right is... Nuno Bettencourt playing rhythm guitar on some weird as 7 string fretless guitar and he sounds absolutely atrocious. Totally out of tune and ruining Stop. Perry comes out, his singing is hoarse and blown out and half assed. I am disappointed, as are my friends. We're about to leave after the abomination that was Stop as an opening song and then the seats we're sitting in magically elevate to the ceiling (I'm dreaming, don't ask how this shit occurs) and then some roadies bring out some huge leather skin drums out in front of the stage and all of a sudden there are 3 people not in the band circling the drums and tapping a rhythm with their sticks in 6/8. I start to get excited, knowing there aren't many Jane's songs in 6/8 and eventually I start to hear a violin playing a dark, gypsy like chord.

Could it be?

Morgan walks out, and plays the crazy violin solo and then the 3 drummers, in chorus with Perkins start banging a huge ass rhythm to Of Course. It's an absolutely magical new arrangement, sounds fuller than ever, and the stage is now some psychedelic dreamscape of moving lights, christmas string lights, etc etc. I'm thrilled to hear of Course finally played again and right as Perry starts to say, "When I was a boy, my big brother held on to my hand...", my alarm goes off and I wake right teh fuck up.

Even in a dream, Jane's Addiction still disappointed on stage and cock teased me with 30 seconds of brilliance before being snapped out of my dream.

Maybe this is some greater metaphor for being a Jane's fan, maybe this was a weird dream, but I had a dream and it seemed moderately more interesting than talking about Etty and Perry's marriage.

Jasper

Re: Had a Dream, Big and Strong

#2 Post by Jasper » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:58 pm

That's an effective dream description. In the past I've had a handful of Jane's-related dreams where 1.0 is in some odd (usually very small) venue, playing something differently or playing something I've never heard before. I also love Of Course, so I understand your excitement as well as your disappointment.

I don't think I've had any such dream in a long time. That old feeling of the magic of JA has really been trampled. To paraphrase George Orwell, if you want a vision of the future of JA, imagine a boot stamping on a Ritual de lo Habitual LP - forever.

Tyler Durden

#3 Post by Tyler Durden » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:23 pm

Like a lot of art, I feel like once it is released (as well as over time), it now belongs to the collective/audience/world. And I strongly feel that way when an artist proves that they can no longer achieve such greatness as their earlier works that they are famous for.

In other words, the original JA isn't just about those four guys anymore...it's also about the world that devoured that music and was influenced by it. I don't think Perry (or any of the others) has the right to desecrate the beauty they created. It doesn't just belong to them anymore.

If da Vinci came back from the dead and decided to add a bunch of new stuff to the Mona Lisa with florescent markers, he'd likely be arrested on site. It disgusts me when once great artists completely shit on their masterpieces. Perry Farrell and George Lucas are like two peas in a pod.

Essence_Smith

#4 Post by Essence_Smith » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:47 pm

I'm definitely not on the Perry and Co bandwagon these days, but just to play devil's advocate, I think aside from what these guys have done these days to tarnish what we think of them, the fact remains that as you get older and see things through different eyes it's not bound to excite you the same way...I was listening/watching a Relapse show on youtube a moment ago...and it still holds up to me...I'm not in my early 20's anymore and excited as hell to see JA reunite after 6 years, but that one moment from 97 still moves me. Then Perry starts talking in between songs and I'm like wtf kinda NONSENSE is he talking about...the guys sounds like an idiot to the me that's approaching middle age...to the 20 year old me though, those words were wise... :lolol:

I wouldn't know anything about what JA does now if I didn't come to this board cause I'm not checking for them because I know better...as for George Lucas that dude just had too much money the second time around...but bottom line, JA aren't the same people they were and neither are we, so even without the "Vegas" style, it still wouldn't be as cool now, even if we brought Avery and Casey back...

bman

#5 Post by bman » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:54 am

I have to admit all the social media bullshit has taken away some of my passion from the Vegas Nothings Shocking Shows. Those shows were great and I was excited for the band again. Those feelings are gone now. I doubt they record any new music again. The funny thing is I had a Janes dream last night too! I was sitting in a room with Eric and Perkins! I asked Eric if he had listened to the The Great Escape Artist! He said no. That's pretty much it. But I have had that Let Down dream in the past. I remember a dream where I was gathering up a bunch of people for a Janes show. I was all excited and my friends were there, but the place was pretty empty and the band wasn't that good....Sad Dream!

Tyler Durden

#6 Post by Tyler Durden » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:00 am

bman wrote: I doubt they record any new music again.
We can only hope.

Seriously though, the only reason that The Great Escape Artist was even made was because Perry was butthurt about Eric leaving, as well as all of the talk (in the media and online communities) about how integral Eric was to the sound and songs of the band.

Perry didn't seem to have that much interest in making new music...but the minute Eric left the band again, suddenly Jane's was making a new album and Perry was saying shit in the press like "Our original bass player wasn't interested in breaking new ground musically, blah, blah, blah". :bs:

This was obvious long before "End To The Lies" was ever released. Had Eric agreed to be one of Perry's puppets and just play the hits for the next 10-20 years, TGEA or any other new music would likely never have happened. That album was the audible equivalent of Perry's fragile ego on full display. I'm not criticizing the content of the album (that's another story entirely)...just pointing out why the album was made.

Hype

#7 Post by Hype » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:45 am

I start to hear a violin playing a dark, gypsy like chord.
Am?

Artemis

#8 Post by Artemis » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:24 pm

Last night I dreamt that I found a five dollar bill folded up origami style.

cricket_bows

#9 Post by cricket_bows » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:58 pm

Artemis wrote:Last night I dreamt that I found a five dollar bill folded up origami style.

Canadian or American?

Artemis

#10 Post by Artemis » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:46 pm

cricket_bows wrote:
Artemis wrote:Last night I dreamt that I found a five dollar bill folded up origami style.

Canadian or American?
It was a blue Caandian five. In my dream I remember the colour was very vivid. The 5s out now are made from polymer, so no origami folding with those.