Perry sings mountain song with FF and Joe Walsh

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Noonesshocking

Perry sings mountain song with FF and Joe Walsh

#1 Post by Noonesshocking » Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:51 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jv5rW16IMQc

This pretty confirms Perry should only be singing Jane's songs in standard tuning, with echo on his vocals. I'm genuinely surprised with how good he sounds here.

Makes me bummed more than ever that they tuned down a whole step for NINJA.

Edit: can't seem to embed. sorry folks!

zendo

Re: Perry sings mountain song with FF and Joe Walsh

#2 Post by zendo » Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:47 pm

He was a little hard to hear in the mix but was hitting and sustaining notes pretty damn well! :thumb:

creep
Site Admin

#3 Post by creep » Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:50 pm

i know this is minor but I hate it when he starts the song with "oh baby i'm"

kv

#4 Post by kv » Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:55 pm

Douchchills everytime he does that

Artemis

#5 Post by Artemis » Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:58 pm

I'm curious why was Joe Walsh there?? :confused:
Last edited by Artemis on Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

creep
Site Admin

#6 Post by creep » Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:05 pm

Artemis wrote:I'm curious why was Joe Walsh was there?? :confused:
he has played with dave grohl before. i guess they are friends. :noclue:

intertwoven

#7 Post by intertwoven » Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:10 pm

Duchechills everytime he sings when he's married to Eddy.

JOEinPHX

#8 Post by JOEinPHX » Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:43 pm

intertwoven wrote:Duchechills everytime he sings when he's married to Eddy.
*Ed-dy

drifter

#9 Post by drifter » Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:44 pm

I think this is cool. couple rock generations jamming. thanks for sharing

tubro

#10 Post by tubro » Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:24 pm

Perry sounds good. the drummer kills it. seeing pat smear makes me smile.
but dave grohl fucking sucks. what a fucking poseur asshole. http://brooklynbugle.com/2014/10/20/dav ... manifesto/

JOEinPHX

#11 Post by JOEinPHX » Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:56 am

Dave Grohl is the real deal.

I question anyone who believes otherwise. He's got more art in his pinky than Perry Farrell ever had in his whole body, at this point.

tubro

#12 Post by tubro » Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:09 am

Six7Six7 wrote:Dave Grohl is the real deal.

I question anyone who believes otherwise. He's got more art in his pinky than Perry Farrell ever had in his whole body, at this point.

i had to read this a few times to try and determine if you're serious or making a joke. especially because the last sentence is unclear. 'than perry ever had' and 'at this point' are contradictory. anyway, i have no gripe whatsoever with saying that he's got more art in him than perry has now. that's a comment on the state of perry as an artist at present and sadly that statement would, i'm afraid, apply to anyone making any art at all, since perry isn't and hasn't in a long time. so that's not really about grohl. as for grohl, if he'd just shut the fuck up about how much he's the spokesperson for and only true voice of rock and roll, then i'd stop at thinking he's a poseur whose band bores me. plenty of bands that other people like bore me and i'm sure plenty of bands that i like bore others. that's just taste. but grohl flat out embraces his self appointed and media approved role as the guy who knows it all about hard rock. and that's just insane and more than a little bit annoying. sort of like wynton marsalis, who's got more art in his pinky than grohl will ever have in his whole body, but still is bothersome as the guy who knows and will tell all about jazz. grohl needs to shut the fuck up and the rock media needs to stop turning to him for comment on every subject. like frank zappa said, shut up and play your guitar.

having said all of that, and in fairness, the hbo series episode about DC was great. i lived in DC in those years and while those punk bands weren't and still aren't my favorite punk bands, i was very much an attendee of that scene and i saw and hung out with all of them and also went to many of those punk funk go-go warehouse shows with trouble funk, chuck brown, EU and the other go-go bands. ian mackaye is an amazing and underrated figure.

trevor ayer

#13 Post by trevor ayer » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:53 am

GROHL was always a clunky drummer .. Foo Fighters is rawk for mall girls .. couple good songs but mostly crapola

Lokus

#14 Post by Lokus » Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:22 pm

Artemis wrote:I'm curious why was Joe Walsh there?? :confused:
I just watched the last episode of Sonic Highways on HBO (http://www.hbo.com/foo-fighters-sonic-highways#/) which was on L.A.. Joe Walsh was the guest musician that played on the track they recorded in California.

I'm really enjoying this show BTW--I'm learning a lot about all these cities. I like Dave Grohl, but I couldn't care less about FF music (it's such generic rawk).

I thought maybe Jane's would feature in the L.A. episode, but there was no mention of them. Even for the Chili Peppers they only played 4 seconds of the Knock Me Down video. Mind you, there are sooo many L.A. bands there's no way they could cover them all and they spent a lot of time focussing on the Germs because of Pat Smear and Kyuss because of their connection to the studio they were using.

Matz

#15 Post by Matz » Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:27 pm

Noonesshocking wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jv5rW16IMQc

This pretty confirms Perry should only be singing Jane's songs in standard tuning, with echo on his vocals. I'm genuinely surprised with how good he sounds here.
!
I agree, it's amazing how much more dynamic it sounds in standard

Larry B.

#16 Post by Larry B. » Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:18 pm

tubro wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:Dave Grohl is the real deal.

i had to read this a few times to try and determine if you're serious or making a joke. especially because the last sentence is unclear. 'than perry ever had' and 'at this point' are contradictory. anyway, i have no gripe whatsoever with saying that he's got more art in him than perry has now. that's a comment on the state of perry as an artist at present and sadly that statement would, i'm afraid, apply to anyone making any art at all, since perry isn't and hasn't in a long time. so that's not really about grohl. as for grohl, if he'd just shut the fuck up about how much he's the spokesperson for and only true voice of rock and roll, then i'd stop at thinking he's a poseur whose band bores me. plenty of bands that other people like bore me and i'm sure plenty of bands that i like bore others. that's just taste. but grohl flat out embraces his self appointed and media approved role as the guy who knows it all about hard rock. and that's just insane and more than a little bit annoying. sort of like wynton marsalis, who's got more art in his pinky than grohl will ever have in his whole body, but still is bothersome as the guy who knows and will tell all about jazz. grohl needs to shut the fuck up and the rock media needs to stop turning to him for comment on every subject. like frank zappa said, shut up and play your guitar.

having said all of that, and in fairness, the hbo series episode about DC was great. i lived in DC in those years and while those punk bands weren't and still aren't my favorite punk bands, i was very much an attendee of that scene and i saw and hung out with all of them and also went to many of those punk funk go-go warehouse shows with trouble funk, chuck brown, EU and the other go-go bands. ian mackaye is an amazing and underrated figure.
Leaving art aside, I see Dave as a good role model for the hundreds of thousands of people who follow him. He's not on the brink of suicide every 5 minutes (not that we know of,) he sends messages related to a good familiy life, friendship, stuff like that, all the while saying how fun life is supposed to be. I think that's a good message, and a better role model than many other rockers.

Having said that, I don't really like what he does in Foo Fighters. I just think it's boring. His energy playing live is great, and everyone seems to enjoy it, so I don't really think he should stop or change. Rock and roll is dead anyway. And about that article, I don't know if the writer was serious or not, but comparing Dave Grohl to Victor Jara is one of the most ridiculous things I've read in the week.

Artemis

#17 Post by Artemis » Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:41 pm

Lokus wrote:
I just watched the last episode of Sonic Highways on HBO (http://www.hbo.com/foo-fighters-sonic-highways#/) which was on L.A.. Joe Walsh was the guest musician that played on the track they recorded in California.

I'm really enjoying this show BTW--I'm learning a lot about all these cities. I like Dave Grohl, but I couldn't care less about FF music (it's such generic rawk).

I thought maybe Jane's would feature in the L.A. episode, but there was no mention of them. Even for the Chili Peppers they only played 4 seconds of the Knock Me Down video. Mind you, there are sooo many L.A. bands there's no way they could cover them all and they spent a lot of time focussing on the Germs because of Pat Smear and Kyuss because of their connection to the studio they were using.
Thanks for the info, Lokus. I haven't heard of the show Sonic Highways before, sounds good.

JOEinPHX

#18 Post by JOEinPHX » Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:13 pm

Artemis wrote:
Lokus wrote:

Thanks for the info, Lokus. I haven't heard of the show Sonic Highways before, sounds good.
It's a documentary. 8 or 9 hours. Airing on HBO every Sunday. I think Episode 5 airs tonight. Been very interesting. Dave interviews people in a particular city about the music scene, then the band records a song about it in a local studio.

Been very interesting.

And, as I said previously, far more artistic than anything Perry has ever done.

Essence_Smith

#19 Post by Essence_Smith » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:50 am

Ummmm someone said Dave Grohl who I definitely like as a person and respect for how he's gone about living over the years since Nirvana is somehow more artistic than PF...ok ummmm yeah fine to like Dave but if you're sitting around listening to Foo Fighters, you sir should be shot... :lol:

There are some points where I totally get where 67 is trying to go with something and I LIKE Dave Grohl, but aside from a few songs here and there his band sucks...it's right up there with Satellite Party to me...sometimes while trying to talk shit about PF ya make yourself sound like a complete ass...I'm sorry dude, but this is one of those moments... :nod:

That being said...if you're still using the word poseur in 2014...you too should be shot...I'm kidding but at the very least you're an OLD fart... :lol:

Romeo

#20 Post by Romeo » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:23 pm

I have to admit The colours and the shapes reminds me of a very fun summer in 1997 and I do like the acoustic disc of In your honor

Hokahey
Site Admin

#21 Post by Hokahey » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:17 pm

Mor ecolor by number Jane's Addiction. Boring and safe and predictable. Much like FF now. Those first two FF albums were pretty legit though. I remember getting sent home from school for wearing the FF shirt with the first album cover on it because it was a gun. :lolol: I got sent home a few weeks later for wearing a Citizen Dick shirt.

nausearockpig

#22 Post by nausearockpig » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:19 pm

Not sure if there were enough guitar players on stage....

kv

#23 Post by kv » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:55 pm

just got around to watching it..perry got to go on stage without etty? holy fuck that must have cost him a pretty penny...it's kinda odd, i bunch of people that i liked in other stuff and don't now...dave in nirvana, pat in the germs, nate from sunny day real estate and perry from the once legendary jane's

i loved the first foo record...i don't know wtf happened to them...i also hate when i see threads titled FF and i'm supposed to think of "that must be the foo fighters"... because i never do...good on dave making a living with music and having fun even if i don't like what he's doing now...he could be doing covers from his past to make a fast buck...ya know like perry does
Last edited by kv on Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

creep
Site Admin

#24 Post by creep » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:58 pm

kv wrote:just got around to watching it..perry got to go on stage without etty? holy fuck that must have cost him a pretty penny...it's kinda odd, i bunch of people that i liked in other stuff and don't know...dave in nirvana, pat in the germs, nate from sunny day real estate and perry from the once legendary jane's
what about joe?

have to like the james gang

kv

#25 Post by kv » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:59 pm

post after i edit tyvm...gawd...ya joe's cool in my book just for stern shows