Jane's Fall Club Tour

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Artemis

Re: Jane's Fall Club Tour

#101 Post by Artemis » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:55 pm

creep wrote:
Artemis wrote:Ha! Along with Old Spice being the deodorant of choice among ANR members, Purple is the favourite colour! :cool:

I
it's not necessary for guys to have favorite colors. :neutral:
:lol: May I ask, why not?

JOEinPHX

#102 Post by JOEinPHX » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:04 pm

Artemis wrote:
creep wrote:
Artemis wrote:Ha! Along with Old Spice being the deodorant of choice among ANR members, Purple is the favourite colour! :cool:

I
it's not necessary for guys to have favorite colors. :neutral:
:lol: May I ask, why not?
We are much too busy thinking about breasts and vaginas.

Jasper

#103 Post by Jasper » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:25 pm

Purple was my favorite color when I was a kid.

One day, in kindergarten, someone asked me my favorite color, probably during art-making time. I said purple. Purple reminded me of grape (grape soda and candy, mostly) and sunsets and whatnot. Then someone else was asked - another boy - and the answer was blue. This question spread around very quickly, and soon everybody was proudly proclaiming his or her favorite color. When the dust settled, every last boy, aside from me, had picked blue. Every single girl had picked pink. I mean all of them, with no exceptions. That was the first time I really put 2+2 together and observed something about social conditioning. It weirded me the fuck out.

Of course in places like India or Russia, pink is a boy's color. In Russia, lighter blues are considered symbolic of male homosexuals. In the strictest technical sense, pink is light red, but a surprising amount of people will attempt to argue this fact.

JOEinPHX

#104 Post by JOEinPHX » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:27 pm

My favorite color, as a child, was green.

Tyler Durden

#105 Post by Tyler Durden » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:12 pm

Artemis wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:

I
I didn't participate in the Old Spice thread...but I have to say, I hate Old Spice. And the guy from the commercials comes off like a closet case.
The thread was asking which deoderant people wear and Old Spice emerged as the most popular among the male ANR members.

Well, since you don't like Old Spice, I don't think we can be an item anymore. Sorry, Charlie..
I'd rather be alone and smell good. :noclue:

Larry B.

#106 Post by Larry B. » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:16 pm

green, white and black here. great combo.

bman

#107 Post by bman » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:04 am

LA shows at John Ford Anson Theater.

JOEinPHX

#108 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:57 pm

Jane's is playing San Fransisco Thursday September 22nd.

creep
Site Admin

#109 Post by creep » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:01 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:Jane's is playing San Fransisco Thursday September 22nd.
yeah it sounds like some secret show and i thought they mentioned the park. would be nice to get some heads up.

JOEinPHX

#110 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:06 pm

Surely janesaddiction.org has a "friend of the site" that can tell them all this info.

Right?

:lol:

JOEinPHX

#111 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:09 pm

creep wrote:
yeah it sounds like some secret show and i thought they mentioned the park. would be nice to get some heads up.
It's a private gig according to DN and DC.

cabangbangq

#112 Post by cabangbangq » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:10 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:
creep wrote:
Where and when? I'd give my left nut to try and get into a small club show.

Maybe not, but I'm still very intrigued

creep
Site Admin

#113 Post by creep » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:12 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:
creep wrote:
well figure out what big corporate event is going on in the city and show up and you will probably see jane's.

Romeo

#114 Post by Romeo » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:12 am

aren't they about to announce the new iphone 5?
Why not get a paycheck from all mobile devices :lol:

MYXYLPLYX

#115 Post by MYXYLPLYX » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:06 am

creep wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:
creep wrote:
well figure out what big corporate event is going on in the city and show up and you will probably see jane's.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... .DTL&tsp=1
Facebook expected to announce iPad app
at the San Francisco Design Center. I've done several shows there before - 311 as well as My Bloody Valentine. Terrible acoustics... :no:

Anyways, since the buzz on F8 is all about Facebook getting in to music and challenging iTunes, I think it's a reasonable guess...
:noclue:

wally

#116 Post by wally » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:03 pm

whoever picked the title of this section of the forum did an awesome job.

Mescal

#117 Post by Mescal » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:44 pm

Jasper wrote:Purple was my favorite color when I was a kid.

One day, in kindergarten, someone asked me my favorite color, probably during art-making time. I said purple. Purple reminded me of grape (grape soda and candy, mostly) and sunsets and whatnot. Then someone else was asked - another boy - and the answer was blue. This question spread around very quickly, and soon everybody was proudly proclaiming his or her favorite color. When the dust settled, every last boy, aside from me, had picked blue. Every single girl had picked pink. I mean all of them, with no exceptions. That was the first time I really put 2+2 together and observed something about social conditioning. It weirded me the fuck out.

Of course in places like India or Russia, pink is a boy's color. In Russia, lighter blues are considered symbolic of male homosexuals. In the strictest technical sense, pink is light red, but a surprising amount of people will attempt to argue this fact.
Damn, my favourite colour was blue :(

And purple is just a mixture of blue and pink. You just hadn't figured out for which team to play yet.

kv

#118 Post by kv » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:59 pm

funny i have always been a minnesota viking fan...even though i have always lived in la...because i liked purple when i was 5

JOEinPHX

#119 Post by JOEinPHX » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:36 am

so, anyone wanna guess about the setlist tonight?

It was 5 songs.

i bet:

Mountain
Ocean
Aint no right
Resistable
Jane Says

Jasper

#120 Post by Jasper » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:20 am

kv wrote:funny i have always been a minnesota viking fan...even though i have always lived in la...because i liked purple when i was 5
We came up with that shit way before Prince came around. :king:
Six7Six7 wrote:so, anyone wanna guess about the setlist tonight?

It was 5 songs.

i bet:

Mountain
Ocean
Aint no right
Resistable
Jane Says
Dude, you won a contest in the All The Animals section. The least you could do is claim your prize:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=303

JOEinPHX

#121 Post by JOEinPHX » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:19 am

Accepted.

chaos

#122 Post by chaos » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:31 am

http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/industry ... 8012.story
To celebrate Thursday's f8 announcement of Facebook and Spotify's partnership, Sean Parker hosted an exclusive "A Celebration of Music" that night in a San Francisco warehouse, inviting the Killers, Snoop Dogg, Jane's Addiction and Kaskade to play before an invite-only audience of a couple hundred tech and music industry insiders. The event was preceded by a press conference featuring Parker and Spotify co-founder Daniel Ek, followed by a panel discussion including Eminem manager Paul Rosenberg, Bruno Mars manager Brandon Creed, producer Ray Romulus and Kaskade.

The exclusive party concluded a big day for Spotify, coming as it did after the Facebook developers conference f8, where founder Mark Zuckerberg announced a partnership with Spotify as well as with other music companies, including Rdio and Mog.

Zuckerberg reportedly kicked it in Snoop's trailer before the MC's set, Parker reported.

Sensing the tech royalty in the crowd, Snoop Dogg later asked which audience members would bail him out of jail if he was arrested for use of cannabis onstage. Dogg stuck to classics like "Ain't Nothing But a G Thing" "Gin And Juice" "What's My Name" in his set.

Indeed, the contrast between the arena-sized performers and the small crowd filled with wealthy patrons made for more than one wisecrack from the stage.

"These guys are losers, but they're gonna be successful anyway, f--- 'em," Jane's Addiction's Perry Farrell announced at one point in the evening. Onstage, the iconic singer of "Been Caught Stealing" asked the crowd if making money was the most important thing in life. When several cheered, he shouted "No! It's about having fun!" Then he pounded some champagne with Parker.

The Killers opened with a more subdued acoustic set that included "When We Were Young" and a special cover, presumably in ode to the city that hosted the party, of Otis Redding's classic "Sitting on the Dock of the Bay".

At 7 p.m., Parker - dressed like an indie hipster from Brooklyn in beanie and Converses moderated a short chat with Spotify CEO Daniel Ek about the future of music technology and consumption. Ek basically played the role of interviewer in much of the conversation.

Parker reiterated his belief that streaming music services like Spotify -- in which he reportedly invested almost $15 million -- represent the death of piracy, and will midwife a rebirth of music sales.

"This is actually very similar to what I dreamt of 10 years ago," Parker said, referring to Napster. "We never really wanted to create a service to destroy the record business or hurt artists in any way. The goal was really to create a more frictionless system. We really believed we would succeed in striking deals with the record labels.

"Solving the piracy problem can't happen unless you build a service that's more convenient than piracy, and in a sense Spotify actually competes with piracy."

Parker said he's optimistic Spotify's library will satisfy advanced users, and it's deal with major labels won't drown he company in royalty bills.

"It's a very deep library," he said. "We're the only company that's held our line and we negotiated the licenses we needed to operate as a successful service."

Ad-supported, free streaming is the gateway drug to subscriptions and purchases, and what Spotify ultimately sells is portability, and convenience, he said.

"Streams are not the model. Spotify is about trying to get you to make an investment as a consumer."

The "Celebration" represents the party Spotify always wanted to have when it came to the States, but failed to have because of the mercurial nature of the negotiating with all four major labels, he said.

"For about two years ... we thought we were always three weeks away from closing," he said.

"We didn't have the opportunity to have the launch party that we always wanted to do, so the next logical opportunity was the launch of the integration between Facebook and Spotify."

Tighter integration with Facebook will drive Spotify's userbase and increase music discovery, said Ek. "I just think it's a natural marriage. Now everything is shared. So if you want to find out what crappy music taste I have, go ahead and just do it."

Producer Ray Romulus said the service is letting fans of "Like a G6" explore Far East Movement's whole record. "It's the sh-- to me. We can just be free and just do good music and bring back good music."

Kaskade said the mixtape-based, crate-digging culture of his youth has been reinvented online. "It's just a much easier simpler way to get my taste out there."

Rosenberg recalled trying to break Eminem by taking 12" singles to clubs in New York. Promoting new artists with Spotify in Facebook "can just go like wildfire," he said. "It's going to be wide open and a lot of that is going to be the ease of sharing amongst your friends or other people."

Farrell said the 25 year-old band started in the pre-PC era of massive record collections, when selling a million records was a career goal. With 800 million people on Facebook, he uses it to give Lollapalooza fans a way to announce their set plans.

"It kind of sucked for people like [reggae veteran] Jimmy Cliff. He's such a legend, but his demographic is so much older. There'd only be a couple thousand that registered on Facebook to see Jimmy Cliff, but the set was packed for Jimmy Cliff anyway, and it was deceptive."

Amid the opulent cocktails, sushi, lobster, crab and roast pork that had some guests whispering "tech bubble 2.0," Farrell seemed genuinely awed by what the next generation was building.

"The idea that we can now share music and even the live experience -- we never thought it would happen. Now that it's here, it's the most incredible occurrence and I'm really happy to be sharing this occurrence tonight."

Before the party:

The panel at Spotify's party includes Janes Addiction lead singer Perry Farrell, Brandon Creed (manager for Bruno Mars), producer Ray Romulus, Paul Rosenberg (Eminem's manager) and disc jockey Kaskade.

Romeo

#123 Post by Romeo » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:18 am

Ok so that's
Google
LG
Facebook/Spotify

Cash in now honey....

Tyler Durden

#124 Post by Tyler Durden » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:44 am

Romeo wrote:Ok so that's