Long Interview w/ Dave from Last Fall

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Noonesshocking

Long Interview w/ Dave from Last Fall

#1 Post by Noonesshocking » Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:40 pm

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/intervie ... count.html

I think this somehow slipped through the cracks. Some VERY interesting shit in here.

kv

Re: Long Interview w/ Dave from Last Fall

#2 Post by kv » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:00 pm

Not really because I don't think anybody really foresaw us becoming anything more than an underground college radio band. I don't think we did and I know I certainly didn't. There was a radio station here KXLU that was a big supporter of alternative scenes back in the day. In my head, if we were played on KXLU, we had made the big time. That was it.
awesome stuff, when one of my first bands got played on kxlu i felt the same way "holy shit the station i first heard jane's on just played us" top of the world ma

Matz

#3 Post by Matz » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:17 am

great interview except for the Josh [Klinghoffer] is an incredible musician part....is Dave back on drugs and that's the explanation or what's the deal!?! hmm?

Juana

#4 Post by Juana » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:46 pm

Matz wrote:great interview except for the Josh [Klinghoffer] is an incredible musician part....is Dave back on drugs and that's the explanation or what's the deal!?! hmm?
Josh actually is a great musician he plays a lot of instruments and he is pretty good at most of them

Matz

#5 Post by Matz » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:15 am

I'm not saying he isn't capable of a lot of things, but 'incredible' is a big word to use. The biggest almost. Slovak, Frusciante and Dave are in a whole other league from this guy imo, so if Josh is incredible, what adjective do you put on them? Dave was just being a gentleman, I'm certain he's not a huge admirer of this guy.

panicparty

#6 Post by panicparty » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:02 am

Dave was just being a gentleman
I'm sure that's true, whether he believed what he was saying or not. DN doesn't seem to say anything negative about other musicians and their talents, even people he's not on good personal terms with - he'll still say what a great band the chillis are, was consistent in his praise of Perry as a frontman / visionary even during the SP / TPC era etc. About the only thing I can recall him negative about was Avery's (lack of) output, and that was in the context of responding to his perception that Eric had been denigrating his talent in the industry.

But on Josh K, it might just be genuinely meant - the difference between JK and Fru, Hillel et al is not that JK isn't competent, expert, fluid or whatever on his instrument, it's more that he's a great technician, but not (apparently, so far) such a great, creative musical visionary. I can understand DN not being down on that since, well, that's also probably to some extent a description of him too?

someguy

#7 Post by someguy » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:25 am

panicparty wrote:
Dave was just being a gentleman
I'm sure that's true, whether he believed what he was saying or not. DN doesn't seem to say anything negative about other musicians and their talents, even people he's not on good personal terms with - he'll still say what a great band the chillis are, was consistent in his praise of Perry as a frontman / visionary even during the SP / TPC era etc. About the only thing I can recall him negative about was Avery's (lack of) output, and that was in the context of responding to his perception that Eric had been denigrating his talent in the industry.

But on Josh K, it might just be genuinely meant - the difference between JK and Fru, Hillel et al is not that JK isn't competent, expert, fluid or whatever on his instrument, it's more that he's a great technician, but not (apparently, so far) such a great, creative musical visionary. I can understand DN not being down on that since, well, that's also probably to some extent a description of him too?

Josh is definitely not as proficient on guitar as JF or DN. When he started playing shows with rhcp it was apparent. He does come up with interesting riffs and chord progressions though, that's probably why they hired him in the first place. I think what Dave is trying to say, and I agree with him, is that he is a less refined frusciante. The new songs don't sound radically different from when John was in the band- still funky twangy percussive guitar, pentatonic scale, etc. Not exactly anything new for the peppers.

SR

#8 Post by SR » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:17 am

That was, by far the most interesting interview I've read with Navarro. His found memory on the 3 days solo was fascinating after years of saying he doesn't recall doing it.

On JK, I saw Dot Hacker open for Jane's in Silverlake years ago; they were more interesting. Upon his first gigs in the RHCP.....they were embarrassing. IWY sounds better now to me than when it was dropped. And the tour showed that he had done some very serious practicing to emulate JF's sound, which for the most part....passable. When he deviated, they suggested a real lack of intuition for the essence of the songs.

SR

#9 Post by SR » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:55 am

Oh, and there appears to be another human on this planet that likes Superhero. :lol: