When Jimmy Chamberlin almost filled in for perk (lolla 2009)

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Noonesshocking

When Jimmy Chamberlin almost filled in for perk (lolla 2009)

#1 Post by Noonesshocking » Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:52 pm

http://youtu.be/jnv_P2mFWs0

Almost wish this had happened just to see what it sounded/looked like. Chamberlin is a monster and certainly would've injected some of his personality into the tunes. Also would've been the the first time someone else filled in for a position other than the bass slot. I wonder if they even rehearsed with him? At the end of the day though, I'm still glad we got the OG lineup for one more Lolla.

There are some other interesting things in this interview too, like perry wanting to write new material and rehearse a few times a week like the old days. He also speaks a bit about what I presume is reconnecting with Eric, and seems in a very good mood about it. If only things had gone differently.

Tyler Durden

Re: When Jimmy Chamberlin almost filled in for perk (lolla 2

#2 Post by Tyler Durden » Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:08 pm

This interview is fucking depressing.

This was during that window of opportunity where Jane's cred was slowly being put back together. It pains me to hear Perry speak and sound sane and excited. I still don't know how much of what happened in '09 was his fault and how much was Eric's fault...but it sucks. The Great Escape Artist was half baked...but it showed potential for great things. It's too bad because with Eric's input, it could have been elevated to true greatness. In 2009, the band was pumped, we were pumped...everyone was ready for a new return to form. :nyrexall:

JOEinPHX

#3 Post by JOEinPHX » Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:44 pm

Tyler Durden wrote: I still don't know how much of what happened in '09 was his fault and how much was Eric's fault...

It was ALL Perry's fault.

Eric asked him to stop tarnishing the brand with his karaoke Jane's covers and using Jane's Addiction to sell his terrible PerryEtty crap.

And the first thing Perry did when Jane's started getting attention with the original lineup, was release "I Like 'Em Big"

What more can an artist do when the singer wants to shit all over everything?

Then Perry claims that all Eric wanted was the big paydays. Oh, really? How much is Jane's charging now? Oh, 125 bucks a ticket. Fuck you, Perry. LIAR.

This has a nice summary of what happened:

http://www.alternativenation.net/perry- ... n-reunion/

Tyler Durden

#4 Post by Tyler Durden » Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:00 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote: I still don't know how much of what happened in '09 was his fault and how much was Eric's fault...

It was ALL Perry's fault.

Eric asked him to stop tarnishing the brand with his karaoke Jane's covers and using Jane's Addiction to sell his terrible PerryEtty crap.

And the first thing Perry did when Jane's started getting attention with the original lineup, was release "I Like 'Em Big"

What more can an artist do when the singer wants to shit all over everything?

Then Perry claims that all Eric wanted was the big paydays. Oh, really? How much is Jane's charging now? Oh, 125 bucks a ticket. Fuck you, Perry. LIAR.

This has a nice summary of what happened:

http://www.alternativenation.net/perry- ... n-reunion/
I know. I mean, I remember...I just felt the need to sound objective. In large part because there are some people here who get tired of some of us putting Eric on a pedestal...but at the end of the day, it's not hero worship...just the reality of what was.

That being said, I TOTALLY forgot that "I Like 'Em Big" was released on the day of Lolla '09. Wow...just pathetic...and petty.

ZOINK

#5 Post by ZOINK » Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:21 pm

I forgot about I Like 'Em Big.
Perry looks like a dirty old perv. He should of used the I Like 'Em Big video for that horrible Janes Addiction song about a pervert or whatever it was. The whole "I'm watching Chris Hansen let me make a dumb song about it maybe it will be like Nothing's Shocking" thought or whatever it was going through Perry's head at the time. :jasper:

Mescal

#6 Post by Mescal » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:55 pm

They actually shot a video for this?

Camera loves you hon

Camera's got them images

She likes pictures behind closed doors

Gotta love it

AdmitI

#7 Post by AdmitI » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:27 pm

Who played the guitar on I like 'me big? Dave?

Everybody's Friend

#8 Post by Everybody's Friend » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:26 am

AdmitI wrote:Who played the guitar on I like 'me big? Dave?
I like 'me big too :lol:

JOEinPHX

#9 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:02 pm

AdmitI wrote:Who played the guitar on I like 'me big? Dave?
Of course. I'm sure he just JUMPED at the chance to work on that.

"Hey Dave, I don't have 5 spare seconds to listen to the music you recorded with Eric and Perk, because that's not how I work, but Me and Etty are writing a song about her tits and riding around in limousines drinking champagne. Wanna listen to the shitty keyboard line I wrote and then mimic it on guitar? You won't get paid at all, but it's totally worth an hour of your time to make me look good. Besides, we're shooting a video. You can't be in it, because your body is better than ours though."

Tyler Durden

#10 Post by Tyler Durden » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:40 am

I just watched the first minute of "I Like 'em Big". First time seeing/hearing this is a while. After nearly 6 years, this doesn't get any less painful. There are albums that disappointed me upon release that over time, I grew to at least tolerate (Ministry's "Filth Pig", The Replacements' "Don't Tell A Soul")...but the utter shittiness of this song never subsides. It is pure diarrhea. When it comes to ruining the Jane's legacy, Perry only has himself to blame. Yet, as long as Lolla and Dobel keep him rich, I don't suppose he really cares. Without that lucrative stuff to fall back on, we never would have heard this abomination.

Perry isn't even the same guy anymore. And yeah, people change...we ALL have changed. But there's a limit. With him, it's like aliens from another planet came down and abducted his soul or some other being now has taken control of his body. The space traveler that inhabits Perry Farrell's skin suit likes 'em big. Yup...an alien with a hard on for Asian women with fake boobs and no talent is using a rockstar's body as its vessel in order to get the Earth booty.

Well...it's that or Perry did irreparable damage to his brain via hard drugs. :wink:

trevor ayer

#11 Post by trevor ayer » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:09 pm

Perry sold out ... Simple as that ... He's done nothing but business left no art

Hokahey
Site Admin

#12 Post by Hokahey » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:07 pm

I think the lesson here is that Perry was always a fraud. He was just on so many drugs and had the right people around him (like Casey) that we couldn't tell the difference.

Tyler Durden

#13 Post by Tyler Durden » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:33 pm

hokahey wrote:I think the lesson here is that Perry was always a fraud. He was just on so many drugs and had the right people around him (like Casey) that we couldn't tell the difference.
That is so disheartening to even contemplate. But I'm it is more or less the reality of it all.

guysmiley

#14 Post by guysmiley » Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:54 pm

Holy fuck! I never watched that before. I wish I hadn't. Wow, that is bad. :yikes: :jasper:

JOEinPHX

#15 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:23 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:With him, it's like aliens from another planet came down and abducted his soul or some other being now has taken control of his body. The space traveler that inhabits Perry Farrell's skin suit likes 'em big. Yup...an alien with a hard on for Asian women with fake boobs and no talent is using a rockstar's body as its vessel in order to get the Earth booty.
Was that a subtle reference to THIS video, or were you not aware it existed either?

:lol:

blackula

#16 Post by blackula » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:53 pm

Wow, that's the first time I ever listened to or saw the video for I Like em Big. I always held out hope that maybe it was a gag. There is no hint of irony, Perry's just a rich cunt in this video. So lame

Tyler Durden

#17 Post by Tyler Durden » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:43 am

Six7Six7 wrote:
Was that a subtle reference to THIS video, or were you not aware it existed either?

:lol:
I think I may have watched the first 30 seconds of that when it came out and then shut it off...and repressed ever seeing any of it. I can't tell if Perry has just been trolling us die hard original Jane's fans for years...or he really does suck that much and has some awful taste.

While we're on the subject of bad dance music, I don't get young people today...the idea of going to a outdoor festival in order to see a headlining act that is a DJ...I just don't get it. :noclue:

JOEinPHX

#18 Post by JOEinPHX » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:11 pm

It makes even less sense now that Disc Jockeys no longer use discs.

At least if someone is live mixing records, it can be interesting. But these dudes literally are assembling their mixes days and weeks before they even get to the venue, then just pressing play and adjusting levels. That's it.

tubro

#19 Post by tubro » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:42 pm