Classic Girl in Fear the Walking Dead

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Jasper

Re: Classic Girl in Fear the Walking Dead

#26 Post by Jasper » Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:52 pm

Larry's right, the show's garbage and that song should have been kept sacred, or at least more sacred than that. All I can say is that Perry (et al) couldn't have known quite how badly this unimaginative spinoff cash grab was going to turn out. To be fair, a character in the parent show sings a Tom Waits song, which morphs into the actual Tom Waits recording in the outro of the episode, and Tom Waits has famously been unwilling to sell his music, especially for advertisements.

kv

#27 Post by kv » Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:11 pm

Oh shit jaspers against it...close the thread Perry was wrong after all because jasper doesn't like the show

Jasper

#28 Post by Jasper » Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:19 am

kv wrote:Oh shit jaspers against it...close the thread Perry was wrong after all because jasper doesn't like the show
I think you deserve better entertainment.

Larry B.

#29 Post by Larry B. » Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:04 am

Finally someone who gets it. I'm disappointed in the rest of you, especially kv.

kv

#30 Post by kv » Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:45 am

Like the show or not the song fit...it wasn't embarrassing....first time in forever

tubro

#31 Post by tubro » Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:05 pm

another one like my earlier point about ray davies.
name 10 bands better and/or more important than the ramones. can't, can ya? or if you can (I guess 10 may not be the exact right number, but you get the point) it would take a while.
because they're the ramones.
and they also never made a fucking dime. so their various feuding wives and mothers can make a few bucks selling blitzkrieg bop to a commercial? no issue there.
Romeo wrote:I don't mind if a song by a band i like is used in a TV show/Movie

In fact I kind of like that.

But a commercial....no. I could feel the bile rise from my stomach every time I heard Blitzkrieg bop in a Coppertone commercial

kv

#32 Post by kv » Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:42 pm

Ya can't complain when they are dead

perkana

#33 Post by perkana » Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:57 pm

I'd hope more musicians would protect their legacy, like Adam Yauch. But wish they didn't have to wait until they die.

erotic cheeses

#34 Post by erotic cheeses » Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:11 pm

tubro wrote:i know I'm beating a dead horse but here's the deal - if you create art you're allowed to make a living off of it.
if they used it in a Donald trump or an anti abortion ad, judge away.
but tv isn't all shit, and while I don't watch walking dead but it seems people speak highly of it.
I liked seeing DN in sons of anarchy. and every song that david simon's people chose for 'the wire' and 'treme' was meaningful and great.
also I'm always happy when there's a kinks song in a commercial. ray davies is every bit the equal of any songwriter of his era, and has hardly ever made a dime off of it.
so he can sell 'picture book' to Kodak and i'll cheer him on.
true, perry's a putz for some of the shit that he commercializes. but a great song in a movie or good tv show? cool by me.
give 'em a break. or at least let's limit hateful critique to wishes that don't hope that a father of some cute kids 'rots alone'.
Ray Davies was a miserly shite, he sold his brother and girlfriend up the river!

Jasper

#35 Post by Jasper » Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:44 pm

The band should do a zombie cameo — playing themselves.

Mescal

#36 Post by Mescal » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:19 pm

tubro wrote:another one like my earlier point about ray davies.
name 10 bands better and/or more important than the ramones. can't, can ya? or if you can (I guess 10 may not be the exact right number, but you get the point) it would take a while.
and they also never made a fucking dime. so their various feuding wives and mothers can make a few bucks selling blitzkrieg bop to a commercial? no issue there.

But a commercial....no. I could feel the bile rise from my stomach every time I heard Blitzkrieg bop in a Coppertone commercial
Beatles
Rolling Stones
Black Sabbath
Led Zeppelin
Nirvana
Velvet Underground
The Meters
Pink Floyd
Queen
Metallica

Romeo

#37 Post by Romeo » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:31 am

It's mostly Linda, Johnny's wife or Marky. Joey's Mother died and I don't think Mickey Leigh (his Brother) has much of a say. And Dee Dee's second wife.
They make plenty of money off merchandising.
because it's "cool"

Squee

#38 Post by Squee » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:42 am

Not a song on TV - but Jane's Addiction reference in the pilot of Grandfathered that I caught last night.
Dialog below:

"my name is Gerald. I have something pretty important to tell you.. uhh sorry..." *pause*

"yes?"

*nervous laughter* "I... I"

*snaps* "hey, hey kid! Focus!"

"uhh sorry, *gulp* my mom is Sarah Kingsly, you dated for awhile in 1989. She was a cook at a restaurant you worked at." *hands over a photo*
"oh! On the night that photo was taken she took you to a Jane's Addiction show; but you guys left early, because you refused to go #2 in the club.
You didn't have much in common but what you did have was a bunch of unprotected sex. After you guys broke up my mom discovered she was pregnant; with me. I am your son" ...

:lol: Left the show early cause he had to shit!

bman

#39 Post by bman » Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:30 am

Dave Navarro reference in the League. Something about Dave's pubic hair lice!

tubro

#40 Post by tubro » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:27 pm

maybe. and maybe not. good list. all worthy. I'd say most of them are clearly higher on the list than the ramones. sort of makes my point though.

Beatles yup
Rolling Stones yup
Black Sabbath close call
Led Zeppelin yup
Nirvana nah (important, sure. better? not a shot.)
Velvet Underground yup
The Meters double yup (great choice)
Pink Floyd yup
Queen nope (and I fucking love queen. love the ramones too. close.)
Metallica nope (and I'm a fan of theirs too - but I guaranty nobody in metallica would say they're better or more important than the ramones)

interesting that you didn't name any other punk rock bands.

a lot's missing. so let's say ramones is top 20. or whatever. they still never made a fucking dime in their lifetimes, and while merch keeps their wives and ex wives from being broke, they're still not rolling in dough by any means.
maybe bonzo goes to bitburg can be the new song for VW diesel autos.
Mescal wrote:

Beatles
Rolling Stones
Black Sabbath
Led Zeppelin
Nirvana
Velvet Underground
The Meters
Pink Floyd
Queen
Metallica

Artemis

#41 Post by Artemis » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:41 pm

How about The Sonics?

(Just saw them a few weeks ago open up for Robert Plant)

Juana

#42 Post by Juana » Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:10 pm

Artemis wrote:
hokahey wrote:
rickpoet wrote:
Larry B. wrote:Fuck Perry. I hope he rots alone and in bankrupcy.
I was thinking this was just kind of a cool moment in a show I was watching...
It was. It was tastefully done, and the show is set in L.A. It played with the scene perfectly. I actually really enjoyed it.
Agree. It totally worked with the scene. It was a pleasant surprise. :thumb:
I'm also in agreeance that this was pretty cool. When I saw it I looked over and the misses was like "yes its Jane's, now stop smiling" :lolol: