Strays early version?

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Mescal

Re: Strays early version?

#101 Post by Mescal » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:22 am

creep wrote:Back then Perry could do no wrong and everything was blamed on Dave. It was a very rough time for Six7Six7.
:lolol:

Mescal

#102 Post by Mescal » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:25 am

I signed up in 2004 I think, after their Paradiso show in Amsterdam.

I should have signed up before the concert, because there was some sort of instore concert the day before in an Amerterdam record shop which was announced on the site ...

JOEinPHX

#103 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:18 pm

creep wrote: Back then Perry could do no wrong and everything was blamed on Dave. It was a very rough time for Six7Six7.
100%

It was like being Neil Degrasse Tyson at a flat earth convention.

Eric B.

#104 Post by Eric B. » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:29 am

Mescal wrote:I signed up in 2004 I think, after their Paradiso show in Amsterdam.

I should have signed up before the concert, because there was some sort of instore concert the day before in an Amerterdam record shop which was announced on the site ...

Yeah, I missed that Concerto-concert as well. It was a bummer finding out afterwards. The Paradiso show was great though.

Krink

#105 Post by Krink » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:17 pm

kv wrote:Yep that sounds right...btw thanks again lol...oh for a moment it was fun...new Jane's excitement...it faded pretty fast...oh well

Not a very good album overall - but not horrible...but that version was by far better than the released album

i just got an email about a place having the Alive at Twenty-Five limited colored vinyl.....i listened to it and man - i read there's only 500 of each color being printed but it isn't really that good and im not sure its even worth the $32 for the limited colored vinyl

it sounds like they're playing all the songs from Ritual just a little slower....why would i wanna listen to a live slower version of Ritual :balls: :noclue:

JOEinPHX

#106 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:00 pm

Krink wrote:why would i wanna listen to a live slower version of Ritual :balls: :noclue:
That all depends on one thing:

How much do you like ray gun noises?

fretboy1969

#107 Post by fretboy1969 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:01 pm

drifter wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:59 am
from 'some divers whistle' http://defgav.com/sdw/recording/

hypersonic/strays demos"
Date: circa March/April 2002
Musicians: Perry Farrell (v), Dave Navarro (g), Stephen Perkins (d), Martyn LeNoble (b)
Producer: Perry Farrell?
Tracks recorded:
Suffer Some
Hypersonic
To Match The Sun
Everybody's Friend
Bring The Mood
True Nature
Additional notes: After the 2001 Jane's tour with Martyn LeNoble on bass, the guys to headed into the studio to work on new material in March of 2002. Popping up online in early 2008, these early demos are very raw compared to the finished versions that were eventually released. Many fans complained producer Bob Ezrin's slick sound did a disservice to the songs on Strays, but in these rough demos, that sheen isn't clouding the songs.
Here's a quote from Martyn LeNoble:

Bob Ezrin didn't really understand Jane's Addiction musically. I remember arguing with him, "Like man, have you listened to Ritual?" He goes, "Frankly, I can't get through it. I think it sounds horrible. I'm going to make this a real rock band instead of an art rock band." Well, he succeeded. He took all the magic out of it. He made a rock record. The most magical moments on the Jane's Addiction records are the quiet little adventures to the left, and, of course Eric's magic bass. Eric Avery is the man.One song from these demos, "Bring The Mood", didn't make the cut for the album and has not been officially released.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/s94241

"hypersonic/strays sessions"
Date: circa mid 2002-early 2003
Musicians: Perry Farrell (v), Dave Navarro (g), Stephen Perkins (d), Chris Chaney (b)
Additional Musicians: John Shanks (mandolin); Scott Page (saxophone); Bob Ezrin (keyboards, percussion); Aaron Embry (keyboards, kalimba); Zack Ray (keyboards); Mike Finnegan (organ); Brendan Hawkins, Joe Bishara, Brian Virtue (programming); Donna Brooks-Jackson, Kim Hill (background vocals); Martyn LeNoble (bass.. though his parts were all re-done by Chris Chaney on the finished version.)
Producer: Bob Ezrin and Brian Virtue
Tracks recorded:
True Nature
Strays
Just Because
The Price I Pay
The Riches
Superhero
Wrong Girl
Everybody's Friend
Suffer Some
Hypersonic
To Match The Sun
..plus a few more... possibly:
Bring The Mood
Cling to You
Additional notes: The recording sessions for Jane's comeback album, tentatively called Hypersonic at the time, but later changed to Strays. Martyn LeNoble was fired in Summer 2003 and replaced by Chris Chaney, who Perry and Bob Ezrin had re-recorded Martyn's bass parts. Perry said the tracks were all recorded "live band" with overdubs done later. According to MTV News, Jane's "completed around 20 songs for the album. They're currently [Dec '02] mixing the completed tracks, then they'll pare down the material to an album's worth of songs. Leftover cuts may surface on future soundtracks or compilations."
Some early mixes leaked to the net months before the CD release. Known to fans as "Hyperleaked", notable differences on this recording include an ending section to "True Nature" that was taken off the finished version. Inversely, the leaked version of "The Riches" is shorter, missing the ending that's on the finished CD. There are smaller differences to many of the other tracks as well: different guitar solos, extended intros / outros, different mix, etc. One album cut, "Wrong Girl", was not among the initial leaked tracks.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/w5g14l
How do I get all of these versions? Is anyone still out there from this old board?

Hokahey
Site Admin

#108 Post by Hokahey » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:51 pm

Man, I took a trip down memory lane with these today. Bob Ezrin really did ruin what could have been a mediocre album. :lol:

Let's be honest. While his production was dead wrong for this album, the band was already creatively bankrupt. While there was still some element of Jane's there, it was fleeting at best. Navarro and Perkins had clearly come to rawk, and Perry is singing about nothing interesting in particular.

I forgot Bring the Mood started with a dog barking. :lolol: Talk about being out of ideas. That song sounds like they really thought it was going to be a hit. And while it does mostly suck, I almost hear mid-nineties Perry at times. Like a bad P4P bside.

Everybody's Friend sounds the best in demo form compared to Strays. It's a boring song lyrically but it has a nice melody and sounds like Jane"s.

Hypersonic Demo sounds like a punk song. If Perry was singing about something cool it might have been interesting pre Ezrin.

Of course the original end of True Nature is pretty cool. But the crunchy rawk guitar just ruins the rest of it completely. And those demo lyrics are beyond awful. "People funny funny people people funny..."

After Relapse they just quit being seedy and/or weird.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#109 Post by Hokahey » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:55 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:18 pm
creep wrote: Back then Perry could do no wrong and everything was blamed on Dave. It was a very rough time for Six7Six7.
100%

It was like being Neil Degrasse Tyson at a flat earth convention.
Oh buddy, not that you will ever see this, but don't flatter yourself. It was more like being a mask wearing Trump supporter. You may have had part of it right but you were still fucking stupid about everything else.

cabangbangq

#110 Post by cabangbangq » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:18 pm

Hokahey wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:51 pm
Man, I took a trip down memory lane with these today. Bob Ezrin really did ruin what could have been a mediocre album. :lol:

Let's be honest. While his production was dead wrong for this album, the band was already creatively bankrupt. While there was still some element of Jane's there, it was fleeting at best. Navarro and Perkins had clearly come to rawk, and Perry is singing about nothing interesting in particular.

I forgot Bring the Mood started with a dog barking. :lolol: Talk about being out of ideas. That song sounds like they really thought it was going to be a hit. And while it does mostly suck, I almost hear mid-nineties Perry at times. Like a bad P4P bside.

Everybody's Friend sounds the best in demo form compared to Strays. It's a boring song lyrically but it has a nice melody and sounds like Jane"s.

Hypersonic Demo sounds like a punk song. If Perry was singing about something cool it might have been interesting pre Ezrin.

Of course the original end of True Nature is pretty cool. But the crunchy rawk guitar just ruins the rest of it completely. And those demo lyrics are beyond awful. "People funny funny people people funny..."

After Relapse they just quit being seedy and/or weird.
Bring the Mood isn't great, but it feels alive. Dave's guitar playing has those nice bursts of frantic energy. Perkins stays on his toes. I don't know how much of a role Ezrin had in the arrangements, but the thing that strikes me about Strays, is how little Perkins does. All spontaneity has been sucked out his playing, save for on Strays, Price I Pay, Riches, and To Match the Sun.

trevor ayer

#111 Post by trevor ayer » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:21 am

janes is working on a new album .. it will be trash .. strays killed janes dead .. every member is to blame .. the lyrics are wretched .. the singing could have been done by any shitty modern rawk band .. same with the drums and guitar .. lets be clear tho .. chris chaney ruins everything he touches .. the opening shot of lolla i would for u made me puke .. its a disgrace to have the lamest session musician on the planet fill the shoes of one of the greatest bass players of those decades .. perry sounds like shit on the demos and the final strays .. dave and steve play their most boring riffs .. they blatently attempt to rewrite their hits .. just because is bcs with distortion .. everybodys friend sounds like classic girl .. i reallly hope they dont put out any more music .. its gonna tip the scales in the wrong direction ... more shit than gold in the discog .. i used to say nu janes sucks or check out pre 91 janes but if they put out another slab of diarhea like the last 2 im just gonna fall in the fuck janes they just plain suck camp .. oh and perry just had neck surgery .. like thats gonna go well .. painkiller od here we go

parklife03

#112 Post by parklife03 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:47 pm

I really like Strays and also TGEA. Those are obviously different phases of the band, but I like that they went into a different territory. I tend to agree with the lyrics, tough.
The two songs that I usually skip from Strays are "Wrong Girl" and "Hypersonic". Other than that, it's a really great "mainstream rock" album. Because that's what it is, and that's not bad at all.
About TGEA... I like the darkness of it. The one that I'm not really into is "End to the Lies", but other than that, it's a pretty nice record.

I think it all depends when you got to know the band (it happens with every group). If you knew the band on their pre-2000 period, maybe it's hard to diggest that stuff, as it's different. But I got to know them after Strays, and I think that's why I'm more open. I met the band when they already had Chris Chaney on board.

Having said that, I prefer the older stuff, but I like to have 4 studio albums of the band with totally different climates and sounds, and I tend to pick which one I listen depending on how I'm feeling that day. For me, NS and Ritual are 9 or 9.50/10; and Strays and TGEA are around 7.50 or 8/10.

kv

#113 Post by kv » Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:17 am

Thanks for that.....it explains your perspective perfectly....when I read shit like "I skip song three on strays" a vein on the side of my head starts thumping...since Im not sure I even bought strays let alone set up a playlist of repeated listening lol....but ah yes perspective...I started with them in the mid 80's so my mileage for sure varies...but cheers :cheers:

parklife03

#114 Post by parklife03 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:32 am

kv wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:17 am
Thanks for that.....it explains your perspective perfectly....when I read shit like "I skip song three on strays" a vein on the side of my head starts thumping...since Im not sure I even bought strays let alone set up a playlist of repeated listening lol....but ah yes perspective...I started with them in the mid 80's so my mileage for sure varies...but cheers :cheers:
Yes. I was born in '93, so imagine how good was Strays for me compared with other "MTV mainstream rock" stuff from 2003. Cheers man :thumb:

cabangbangq

#115 Post by cabangbangq » Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:43 am

parklife03 wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:32 am
kv wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:17 am
Yes. I was born in '93, so imagine how good was Strays for me compared with other "MTV mainstream rock" stuff from 2003. Cheers man :thumb:
That was my experience too, being born in '94. I got into Jane's in '03, maybe a month or two after they broke up? I was so thrilled to find they had another album! There's definitely good moments on it, but the production is too glitzy.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#116 Post by Hokahey » Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:29 am

I can relate a little. I got in to all of this in 1993-94 when I was 14-15 years old. A LOT of fans had already written Perry off. When GGU came out I remember all of the OG fans I knew saying "I told you he lost it," whereas I was head over heels for that album. It was my first day 1 Perry related purchase. It still feels like old school Perry to me. The last album he made where he was still preaching from the streets a little. Still a little weird in a really cool way.

someguy

#117 Post by someguy » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:10 pm

cabangbangq wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:18 pm
Bring the Mood isn't great, but it feels alive. Dave's guitar playing has those nice bursts of frantic energy. Perkins stays on his toes.
I agree with this- it's centered around a bassline so Dave and Perk are able to stretch out and be loose on this one.

Hey wait, that seems like a good creative approach for Jane's.... maybe they should try that???

cabangbangq

#118 Post by cabangbangq » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:59 pm

Hokahey wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:29 am
I can relate a little. I got in to all of this in 1993-94 when I was 14-15 years old. A LOT of fans had already written Perry off. When GGU came out I remember all of the OG fans I knew saying "I told you he lost it," whereas I was head over heels for that album. It was my first day 1 Perry related purchase. It still feels like old school Perry to me. The last album he made where he was still preaching from the streets a little. Still a little weird in a really cool way.
GGU is such a wonderful album. I've heard few things that sound like it. Production quality is ethereal and bizarre in ways few other things are.

cabangbangq

#119 Post by cabangbangq » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:05 pm

someguy wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:10 pm
cabangbangq wrote:
Bring the Mood isn't great, but it feels alive. Dave's guitar playing has those nice bursts of frantic energy. Perkins stays on his toes.
I agree with this- it's centered around a bassline so Dave and Perk are able to stretch out and be loose on this one.

Hey wait, that seems like a good creative approach for Jane's.... maybe they should try that???
In a similar vein, the two best post EA songs, Strays and Underground are also built off bass grooves.

parklife03

#120 Post by parklife03 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:42 pm

cabangbangq wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:05 pm
someguy wrote:
cabangbangq wrote:

In a similar vein, the two best post EA songs, Strays and Underground are also built off bass grooves.
Yes, the core of Jane's is the bass doing the riff style. Dave did most of the riffs on Strays and TGEA (they are guitar-driven), but I think it works better the other way.

I guess it's an ego thing, anyway. Chris is capable of doing those riffs and the possible new songs would sound more like the Jane's we love. But I don't know if they will give Chris the chance to lead like that in many songs. I hope so.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#121 Post by Hokahey » Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:14 pm

cabangbangq wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:05 pm
someguy wrote:
cabangbangq wrote:

Agreed 100%

trevor ayer

#122 Post by trevor ayer » Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:37 pm

i once met a metallica fan who said they sold out with kill em all .. i was like .. shit i thought they sold out with black album .. he had all these pictures with dave in the band and some with kirk still in exodus .. janes is my favorite band and strays is still worse than the worst metallica album .. how is it even possible?
dave navarro .. not mustaine .. writes a decent jangly my moms dead song and is an amazing embellisher but has no ability to write a janes addiction song .. that was all eric with everyone bouncing off of him .. without eric its just another band .. i first heard them around ns ... then saw them live 3 times before they split .. loved pfp but every janes reboot feels like a cover band with no songwriting skills .. i am sure there are plenty of page and plant fans out there but u just hope they get a good wiff of the real shit and then know the difference eventually .. same with sammy hagar ha

Mescal

#123 Post by Mescal » Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:42 am

What's your point about the Metallica comment? :noclue:

sinep

#124 Post by sinep » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:50 pm

When are we going to have another exiting leak? I remember the first time I listened to the Strays early leak.

Is there anything exiting that will ever happen again in the world of "Jane's Addiction?"

Is there a 'new song' from 1989 that we will eve hear?

What has Stephen Perkin's been doing during corn teen?

Did Eric Avery ever have sex with the lead singer from Garbage?

Will we ever be worthy of a "Dave Navarro Instagram Makeup Tutorial?"

Wait... there was a "porno for pyros" reunion?????

What does Sonny do now? Hypersonic? AlienOnAcid? Are Sonny and Adolf really cousins?

cabangbangq

#125 Post by cabangbangq » Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:31 am

sinep wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:50 pm
When are we going to have another exiting leak? I remember the first time I listened to the Strays early leak.

Is there anything exiting that will ever happen again in the world of "Jane's Addiction?"

Is there a 'new song' from 1989 that we will eve hear?

What has Stephen Perkin's been doing during corn teen?

Did Eric Avery ever have sex with the lead singer from Garbage?

Will we ever be worthy of a "Dave Navarro Instagram Makeup Tutorial?"

Wait... there was a "porno for pyros" reunion?????

What does Sonny do now? Hypersonic? AlienOnAcid? Are Sonny and Adolf really cousins?
To that point, I remember reading once that Trip Away and 1% were recorded during the NS sessions but didn't make the album. I would love to hear those.