Jane's Addiction: Live Voodoo: The Sequel

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Noonesshocking

Jane's Addiction: Live Voodoo: The Sequel

#1 Post by Noonesshocking » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:39 pm

I hear a VERY obvious guitar backing track throughout. Either its pre-recorded or played by Dave's tech backstage. See: Stop and Whores.

If I could swap out the synths in Classic Girl for the voodoo 2009 cape, I would.

someguy

Re: Jane's Addiction: Live Voodoo: The Sequel

#2 Post by someguy » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:49 pm

Etta gets naked and Perry yells "Let's party!" in the middle of classic girl. Egregious.

JOEinPHX

#3 Post by JOEinPHX » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:41 pm

God, I just love how Perry just makes up new melodies on the spot based on which words he feels like singing.

What a pro.

Bandit72

#4 Post by Bandit72 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:00 am

Aside from some (a lot) of the vocals, I enjoyed listening. I don't mind the guitar backing either. I'll never get bored of listening to Stephen play. Ever.

Bandit72

#5 Post by Bandit72 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:35 am

One thing. How is Perry allowed to say that he misses his dear Xiola. Maybe Etty hasn't worked out what Xiola is yet.

blackula

#6 Post by blackula » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:58 pm

I tapped out at 3 Days. Perry's vocals on Stop, ANR an MS are fucking terrible. He strangely sounded good on Just Because.

I'm glad I skipped the last couple of shows. I wonder what young people think when they're at these festivals, "that Dothraki shreds but that burnout with the plastic surgery fucking sucks".

nausearockpig

#7 Post by nausearockpig » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:26 pm

Noonesshocking wrote:I hear a VERY obvious guitar backing track throughout. Either its pre-recorded or played by Dave's tech backstage. See: Stop and Whores.
Is it not keys? from the keyboard player behind Chris?

Pandemonium

#8 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:55 pm

Man, Perry's face is getting seriously fucked up with whatever botox or stretching that he's having done to it.

Matov

#9 Post by Matov » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:50 am

just peeked through bits of Stop and ANR.
Not sure if it's a guitar backing track or keys. But whatever it is, it's making it pretty damn clear that Dave's guitar is out of tune.
Never expected to hear two out of tune songs from him, knowing that he can switch guitars from song to song... :noclue:

JOEinPHX

#10 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:13 pm

I felt the same way about Dave's guitar when i saw them at Aftershock in October.

I thought he sounded out of tune. I'm wondering if he's using some alternate tuning to help hide how horrible Perry sounds.

Also, the fucking laser gun sounds coming from that fucking keyboard player are atrocious. I don't know who hired him (Yes I do, it was clearly Perry), but he needs to be fired for not learning any keyboard lines to play along with the song, instead choosing to go "pew pew!" with raygun noises. Ridiculous. How embarrassing.

Tyler Durden

#11 Post by Tyler Durden » Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:38 pm

What?! Only "Just Because" from Strays and not one song from The Great Escape Artist?!

Hokahey
Site Admin

#12 Post by Hokahey » Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:58 pm

I...I think this band is finally...100% dead to me. I mean, we've been close for a very, very long time. We've been riding 99% for years. But that Three Days.....holy shit. That did it.

I want to type a page long breakdown of everything wrong with it, but what's the point? What a joke. What a cruel joke.

Tyler Durden

#13 Post by Tyler Durden » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:24 pm

Perry Farrell: "Umm, this guy used to be our bass player but he didn't want make new music with us so he left...so then we were free to make new songs because I was butthurt that everyone was saying he belonged in MY band. We don't even touch those songs now because they were mostly mediocre to bad. So we're still just parading around the same old, tired songs but now we've thrown in some synths and laser effects and shit".

JOEinPHX

#14 Post by JOEinPHX » Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:45 pm

Pew! Pew! PEW PEW!

Hokahey
Site Admin

#15 Post by Hokahey » Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:25 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:Pew! Pew! PEW PEW!
And you just know who's stupid fucking idea that was.

Noonesshocking

#16 Post by Noonesshocking » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:06 pm

All the goofy shit on stage aside, everything just sounds limp and bad. If you're going to be a band that just kinda goes out and plays the back catalogue, at least put some real effort into making it sound spectacular, ya know?

guysmiley

#17 Post by guysmiley » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:31 am

:noclue: ehh. I didn't think Dave's guitar was out of tune, just a lot of chorus on it. Yeah there might be a backing track here and there, but the keyboards are more noticeable than usual. Perry's voice sounds awful through most of what I skimmed through. Goddamn those keyboard sounds were stupid. Ehh, don't care. Not as bad as some many have said, but not as good as it should be.

Hype

#18 Post by Hype » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:54 am

Dave is a very good guitar player sometimes.

Matz

#19 Post by Matz » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:12 pm

definitely, he's such a natural.

It's surprising to me that Chaney is still playing with them. I would think he'd get a ton of great and more interesting offers

Hype

#20 Post by Hype » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:35 pm

There were a couple of moments in the video where Chaney looks at Perry right after Perry fucks up the lyrics, and just smiles. :lol:

Tbh, I'm ok with Perry messing with/screwing up the lyrics... I think that can even make a particular performance much more interesting. I don't go to shows to hear the songs the way they sound on the albums anyway.

It's his voice that makes it hard to listen to the old songs especially. I still wish he would find a way to sing them with his old-man voice-box rather than trying to sound like a 30 yr old. It's impossible.

JOEinPHX

#21 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:45 pm

Hype wrote:There were a couple of moments in the video where Chaney looks at Perry right after Perry fucks up the lyrics, and just smiles. :lol:

Tbh, I'm ok with Perry messing with/screwing up the lyrics... I think that can even make a particular performance much more interesting. I don't go to shows to hear the songs the way they sound on the albums anyway.

It's his voice that makes it hard to listen to the old songs especially. I still wish he would find a way to sing them with his old-man voice-box rather than trying to sound like a 30 yr old. It's impossible.
Or, I don't know, maybe don't sing the ones he can't sing.

Maybe spend some time writing new material in his current vocal register and play those instead.

Perry did a bunch of songs with PFP that wasn't in a higher vocal register, fucking do more songs like that. Or hire Pete and specifically do those damn songs. I'm sure Dave would rather be playing with a second guitar player than with a goddamn keyboard player who doesn't play any actual music.

Everyone complains about bands like Tool not doing their old catalogue, but you know what? TOOL STILL SELLS OUT ARENAS. They don't need to do 11 straight radio songs to get people to show up. Putting on a good show takes care of itself.

You stick to the hits time and time again and people will stop showing up because they already saw it.

Drop the fucking dancers, Use the money for a better light show, throw some new songs into the set, and stop with the goddamn keyboard player. FFS.

Tyler Durden

#22 Post by Tyler Durden » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:01 pm

Six7Six7...we're way past this...that ship has sailed. 2008-2009 was their chance. They fucking blew it. The fact that they put out an album once a decade is laughable. Plus, it's mediocre and even the band doesn't believe in what they're doing because they barely play their post-1990 songs. They're a fucking joke.

Chaney is a boring as fuck session guy...not an actual/worthy replacement for Eric. Perk will play with anyone, anytime because he's just a happy go lucky, mellow guy who loves to bang on shit. Dave have called the RHCP in 2009 once Eric quit Jane's again. And Perry...I don't even know where to begin. He's the weakest link, the biggest sellout, and guy who records music with his trophy wife for 12 year old girls who have no idea who he is nor do they care. When Eric was back, this band had a fighting chance. What ended up happening after he left was the equivalent of JJ Abrams making The Force Awakens and it turing out to be worse than Attack of the Clones (Please don't misunderstand...TFA is amazing).

The band is an embarrassment. They used to be a badge of honour...now their name is spoken in hushed tones.

someguy

#23 Post by someguy » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:59 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:Six7Six7...we're way past this...that ship has sailed. 2008-2009 was their chance. They fucking blew it. The fact that they put out an album once a decade is laughable. Plus, it's mediocre and even the band doesn't believe in what they're doing because they barely play their post-1990 songs. They're a fucking joke.

Chaney is a boring as fuck session guy...not an actual/worthy replacement for Eric. Perk will play with anyone, anytime because he's just a happy go lucky, mellow guy who loves to bang on shit. Dave have called the RHCP in 2009 once Eric quit Jane's again. And Perry...I don't even know where to begin. He's the weakest link, the biggest sellout, and guy who records music with his trophy wife for 12 year old girls who have no idea who he is nor do they care. When Eric was back, this band had a fighting chance. What ended up happening after he left was the equivalent of JJ Abrams making The Force Awakens and it turing out to be worse than Attack of the Clones (Please don't misunderstand...TFA is amazing).

The band is an embarrassment. They used to be a badge of honour...now their name is spoken in hushed tones.
Dave and Stephen have to know by now that Jane's has nothing left to offer. I really just think they view it as "well, I just like to play, and it pays the bills,"- especially since Stephen has a family now. They are too good of players and intelligent to not realize that. I understand being creative is an ebb and flow thing, but go out on a limb. I'd be more interested in a new banyan record or dave solo record at this point.

Chris is an amazing bass player and at this point the only suitable replacement for Eric because he's reliable and doesn't stir the pot- perfect for Perry. They are stupid lucky to have him and it's strange that he's stuck around this long. There has to be better offers at this point than with a band that has no where else to go. Very strange.

There was so much potential in 2008/2009, and they just squandered it all. The excitement was palpable and there was a focus on them that hadn't been there in years. I actually think in retrospect Perry had a good idea of the band meeting up a couple days a week for awhile to just write music- too bad he couldn't work with Eric (who by the way, doesn't really do anything anymore either).

Tyler Durden

#24 Post by Tyler Durden » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:21 pm

someguy wrote: Chris is an amazing bass player and at this point the only suitable replacement for Eric because he's reliable and doesn't stir the pot- perfect for Perry. They are stupid lucky to have him and it's strange that he's stuck around this long. There has to be better offers at this point than with a band that has no where else to go. Very strange.
I don't disagree...Chaney is the perfect guy for what Perry wants: a "yes" man. And that's part of the problem...Chaney doesn't give a shit. He's there to play gigs and collect cheques. The problem with someone like Martyn was that he cared...and he was a more worthy successor to Eric because he wrote. Chaney will show up anytime, anywhere, and just play (on stage or in studio). He's played with everyone from Celine Dion to Bryan Adams to Meatloaf to Rob Zombie to Methods of Mayhem.

While Eric wrote the amazing bass lines, he needs a solid band to be the vehicle for his brilliance. In this case, his vehicle happened to have been one of the greatest bands ever (once upon a time, anyway).

Pandemonium

#25 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:23 pm

someguy wrote: Chris is an amazing bass player and at this point the only suitable replacement for Eric because he's reliable and doesn't stir the pot- perfect for Perry. They are stupid lucky to have him and it's strange that he's stuck around this long. There has to be better offers at this point than with a band that has no where else to go. Very strange.
Chris plays what he's told. I can't think of a single memorable bass line he's ever come up with and his style and tone is for the most part vanilla. Sure, not everyone can be a Les Claypool or Steve Harris, but Chris isn't even a Michael Anthony. When Janes recorded Strays and Escrap Artist, they mostly used LeNoble's and Sitek's bass contributions. He seems to stay busy as a session drone outside the few Janes show he plays with them the last few years. He played on The Cult's newest album and before I looked at the credits, I thought it was the previous bass player who recently left the band.