P4P on Larry Sanders

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
tubro

P4P on Larry Sanders

#1 Post by tubro » Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:01 pm

I remember this episode like it was yesterday. One of the best tv shows ever and P4P. Couldn't wait. And it didn't disappoint. Some of you have likely been on a movie or TV set where there's a band 'playing'. It's hard, to say the least, for the band to play at a high level, with the stops and starts and distractions. Not so P4P this night. Rail thin junked up dudes just simply kill the shit out of Mejia.

RIP Garry Shandling. Genius.

Hokahey
Site Admin

Re: P4P on Larry Sanders

#2 Post by Hokahey » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:07 pm

Sometimes....in some ways...I think P4P was better than Jane's. They were raw as fuck.

Lokus

#3 Post by Lokus » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:34 am

When this was first on, this was the first time I saw P4P video footage. I may have never even seen Jane's, even though I was into them for a couple of years at least by this point. (We did not have cable TV in the country where we lived, but the Larry Sanders show was on one of the over the air channels we got).

So, I remember this well and was excited to see it. I just happened to watch the show by chance...had no idea they were going to be on.

blackula

#4 Post by blackula » Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:06 pm

hokahey wrote:Sometimes....in some ways...I think P4P was better than Jane's. They were raw as fuck.
I never saw 1.0 live, 1st Jane's show was Halloween relapse. All of the P4P shows I went to are up there with Relapse. The biggest drag with P4P is they put out 2 albums. Ironically, Relapse essentially ended P4P. If you could change the past would you sacrifice Relapse for a 3rd P4P album or let Relapse happen and P4P ends?

Squee

#5 Post by Squee » Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:28 pm

Great performance.
One of my favorite albums ever. I remember anticipating it and going to Tower of Records the day it came out and buying two copies; one on cassette tape for my car because I could not wait to get home to hear it. I kept on driving past my house to hear all of it and feeling so much adrenaline rush through me while melting at all the perfectness of it.

tubro

#6 Post by tubro » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:59 pm

Squee wrote:Great performance.
One of my favorite albums ever. I remember anticipating it and going to Tower of Records the day it came out and buying two copies; one on cassette tape for my car because I could not wait to get home to hear it. I kept on driving past my house to hear all of it and feeling so much adrenaline rush through me while melting at all the perfectness of it.
So funny. I had a virtually identical experience when GGU came out. I lived in NYC but had a rental house out in the Hamptons. New releases came out on Tuesdays in those days. But there was an Indie record store in east Hampton that would sell them on Sunday if you asked nicely. I bought the GGU cassette for the ride back to NYC and the CD for when I got home.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#7 Post by Hokahey » Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:56 am

I guess I was lucky enough to have a CD player in my car when GGU came out. I lived in Florida when it came out. I remember picking it up on release day and driving near the beach while the sky drizzled rain. It was perfect weather and setting for that record. I was in love.

bman

#8 Post by bman » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:28 am

Sadness, Meija, Cursed Female..all raw power dangerous songs. Everytime I hear them I want to do a line of blow with some freaky chicks!

Perry was such a cool frontman. This Pets at Woodstock is one of Perry's finer moments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ydzXBShnEo

bman

#9 Post by bman » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:35 am

I fucking love this song too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7jEDMLU4sE

Matz

#10 Post by Matz » Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:02 pm

never heard that track before, not one of their best imo but cool nonetheless

Hokahey
Site Admin

#11 Post by Hokahey » Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:48 pm

Didn't these assholes go back in the studio like 3 years ago now and record a few songs? Where are they?

If Perry had been smart, he'd have incorporated P4P in to Jane's with Pete joining in. They could have expanded their set and played some cool shows.

kv

#12 Post by kv » Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:24 pm

Perry ≠ cool shows anymore

Hype

#13 Post by Hype » Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:46 pm

That version of the LS show Meija sucks. This one is better:

Young Janeane Garofalo at the beginning. :rockon:

Conan's stories about Gary on his show the other day were great. Big comedy loss. :(

Watch the Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee with him!

JOEinPHX

#14 Post by JOEinPHX » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:52 pm

blackula wrote:
hokahey wrote:Sometimes....in some ways...I think P4P was better than Jane's. They were raw as fuck.
I never saw 1.0 live, 1st Jane's show was Halloween relapse. All of the P4P shows I went to are up there with Relapse. The biggest drag with P4P is they put out 2 albums. Ironically, Relapse essentially ended P4P. If you could change the past would you sacrifice Relapse for a 3rd P4P album or let Relapse happen and P4P ends?
I think the general consensus is that had Pete not had issues around that time, the 2 bands would have basically merged.

That would have been the ideal situation.

Unfortunately, Pete was sick and Perry met Etty.

The rest is history.

Just think, had Jane's gotten back together in 1998 instead of 1997, Etty may have found another meal ticket and everything would be right in the world. :balls:

1997 sucks.

Kajicat

#15 Post by Kajicat » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:43 am

Just saw this full P4P show for the 1st time:

They even play "Tonight" and "Dominator." This show is as good as Jane's IMO. Love P4P. Art Alexakis must have stole Perry's look.