sterling spoon box set

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects

Re: sterling spoon box set

Postby Mescal » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:54 am

I read a few reviews on the box set:

wallaceg777 January 25, 2017
edited 5 days ago
A band that recorded 2 studio albums before breaking up in 1991 seems to be scraping the bottom of the barrell again, but partnering these 2 albums, with re-releases of a previously released compilation, and a live disc from a previous box set seems like a lazy lack of creativity, and as a fan almost insultung ... Now I have always loved the artwork associated with janes addiction, but beyond that none of the previously released compilations, and hits packages have much to offer. Almost all of the unreleased recordings are the same songs they have released over and over again. Its amazing that a band with only a couple dozen songs can release greatest hits albums, compilations, a box set, ... and now another box set. And this time even the cover art is horrendous, this skull design is by far the most boring and unimaginetive artwork ever on a Janes Addiction product. With Casey Nicoli out of the picture, it seems Perry Farrell by himself is not very interesting after all. ( note: this rant does not count the semi-reunion studio albums since they are not even mentioned in these box sets and compilations )

And this:


rjcrosbyjr November 18, 2016
OMG the originals compared to this is a joke, don't waste your money, purchase the original copies if you can. I have both of all and the dynamic range is completely different. The originals make these reissues sound like cassettes.



So it doesn't seem worth it?

I'd like to have Kettle Whistle and Palladium lp though.

Panda, not interested in selling just those two records? :dunce:
User avatar
Mescal
 
Posts: 1824
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:23 am

Re: sterling spoon box set

Postby Pandemonium » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:54 pm

Mescal wrote:So it doesn't seem worth it?

I'd like to have Kettle Whistle and Palladium lp though.

Panda, not interested in selling just those two records? :dunce:


Nahh, I won't split up the box.
User avatar
Pandemonium
 
Posts: 4966
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:18 pm

Re: sterling spoon box set

Postby parklife03 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:08 pm

This is the info I have:
They didn't release anything new in "Sterling Spoon" mostly because it was released by Warner. That's not Jane's label anymore, though they can do anything they want with their catalog.
Warner can't release new material from Jaane's - though they still can re-edit over and over the same records.
Is it worth for the band? In some way, yes; in some way, no. Can they do anything for that? No.

Jane's Addiction was signed to Warner with a 7-albums contract, altough they only released 2 studio records:

1. Nothing's Shocking
2. Ritual de lo Habitual

On my belief -and this is just a theory-, this were the releases that filled the Warner's contract:

3. Live and Rare
4. Kettle Whistle
5. Up from the Catacombs
6. A Cabinet of Curiosities
7. Sterling Spoon

Maybe the 2 Porno for Pyros albums were also included on that deal, because they were released by Warner and with half of JA's band. I don't know.

--
On the other side...
Strays, The Great Escape Artist and Live in NYC were released by Capitol (a brand of Universal Music). That's why there were no "post Relapse" releases on the Sterling Spoon box set.

Anyways, the band is lazy about showing new material. That's a fact.
User avatar
parklife03
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:50 am
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina

Re: sterling spoon box set

Postby Six7Six7 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:53 am

Funny that this popped back up because Jane's (or whoever runs their Twitter) just recently promoted Stirling Spoon and told everyone to hurry and purchase before they were all gone.

Right.

Like they are going to shift 3000 copies of the albums everyone already has :lol:

User avatar
Six7Six7
 
Posts: 5679
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:55 pm
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Re: sterling spoon box set

Postby Hokahey » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:42 am

parklife03 wrote:This is the info I have:
They didn't release anything new in "Sterling Spoon" mostly because it was released by Warner. That's not Jane's label anymore, though they can do anything they want with their catalog.
Warner can't release new material from Jaane's - though they still can re-edit over and over the same records.
Is it worth for the band? In some way, yes; in some way, no. Can they do anything for that? No.

Jane's Addiction was signed to Warner with a 7-albums contract, altough they only released 2 studio records:

1. Nothing's Shocking
2. Ritual de lo Habitual

On my belief -and this is just a theory-, this were the releases that filled the Warner's contract:

3. Live and Rare
4. Kettle Whistle
5. Up from the Catacombs
6. A Cabinet of Curiosities
7. Sterling Spoon

Maybe the 2 Porno for Pyros albums were also included on that deal, because they were released by Warner and with half of JA's band. I don't know.

--
On the other side...
Strays, The Great Escape Artist and Live in NYC were released by Capitol (a brand of Universal Music). That's why there were no "post Relapse" releases on the Sterling Spoon box set.

Anyways, the band is lazy about showing new material. That's a fact.


Rev fulfilled the Warner contract.
User avatar
Hokahey
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3681
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:51 pm

Re: sterling spoon box set

Postby parklife03 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:14 am

Hokahey wrote:
parklife03 wrote:This is the info I have:
They didn't release anything new in "Sterling Spoon" mostly because it was released by Warner. That's not Jane's label anymore, though they can do anything they want with their catalog.
Warner can't release new material from Jaane's - though they still can re-edit over and over the same records.
Is it worth for the band? In some way, yes; in some way, no. Can they do anything for that? No.

Jane's Addiction was signed to Warner with a 7-albums contract, altough they only released 2 studio records:

1. Nothing's Shocking
2. Ritual de lo Habitual

On my belief -and this is just a theory-, this were the releases that filled the Warner's contract:

3. Live and Rare
4. Kettle Whistle
5. Up from the Catacombs
6. A Cabinet of Curiosities
7. Sterling Spoon

Maybe the 2 Porno for Pyros albums were also included on that deal, because they were released by Warner and with half of JA's band. I don't know.

--
On the other side...
Strays, The Great Escape Artist and Live in NYC were released by Capitol (a brand of Universal Music). That's why there were no "post Relapse" releases on the Sterling Spoon box set.

Anyways, the band is lazy about showing new material. That's a fact.


Rev fulfilled the Warner contract.


So it was Rev, the 2 PFP, Live and rare and Kettle whistle?
User avatar
parklife03
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:50 am
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina

Re: sterling spoon box set

Postby blackula » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:34 pm

Finally opened mine and listened to RDLH. I love the sound, bass especially, never owned original vinyl though.

In hindsight, is Rev when Perry "jumped the shark" with that techno version of Whole Lotta Love?
blackula
 
Posts: 759
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:31 pm

Re: sterling spoon box set

Postby kv » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:57 pm

As said above rev was just perry fulfilling his contract using the same tricks/covers to fill xxx
User avatar
kv
 
Posts: 6804
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:08 pm
Location: South Bay, SoCal

Re: sterling spoon box set

Postby blackula » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:16 am

kv wrote:As said above rev was just perry fulfilling his contract using the same tricks/covers to fill xxx


Right, but this was the first time I heard Perry's bad techno. It ended up being a hint of what would come, I like em big and sex talk...
blackula
 
Posts: 759
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:31 pm

Re: sterling spoon box set

Postby Hokahey » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:55 am

blackula wrote:Finally opened mine and listened to RDLH. I love the sound, bass especially, never owned original vinyl though.

In hindsight, is Rev when Perry "jumped the shark" with that techno version of Whole Lotta Love?


The title track of that album was the first time I heard something by Perry that I did not like, and that was definitely the beginning of the end.
User avatar
Hokahey
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3681
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:51 pm

Re: sterling spoon box set

Postby Matz » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:17 am



Hadn't listened to this since it came out. I don't think it's too bad. He sings like old Perry, which is cool,at 0:56 e.g. He's lost that edge completely.

I'm pretty sure you'd label this jungle rather than techno by the way
User avatar
Matz
 
Posts: 3329
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:58 am
Location: Denmark

Re: sterling spoon box set

Postby kv » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:10 pm

Hokahey wrote:
blackula wrote:Finally opened mine and listened to RDLH. I love the sound, bass especially, never owned original vinyl though.

In hindsight, is Rev when Perry "jumped the shark" with that techno version of Whole Lotta Love?


The title track of that album was the first time I heard something by Perry that I did not like, and that was definitely the beginning of the end.

My first eyebrow raising moment, I know I'm in the minority here, was some of GGU era stuff...Making mike watt wear a skirt...A few songs on GGU....Then rev was def the jumped the shark moment for me
User avatar
kv
 
Posts: 6804
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:08 pm
Location: South Bay, SoCal

Re: sterling spoon box set

Postby nausearockpig » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:32 pm

kv wrote:
Hokahey wrote:
blackula wrote:Finally opened mine and listened to RDLH. I love the sound, bass especially, never owned original vinyl though.

In hindsight, is Rev when Perry "jumped the shark" with that techno version of Whole Lotta Love?


The title track of that album was the first time I heard something by Perry that I did not like, and that was definitely the beginning of the end.

My first eyebrow raising moment, I know I'm in the minority here, was some of GGU era stuff...Making mike watt wear a skirt...A few songs on GGU....Then rev was def the jumped the shark moment for me


Yah I'm with you on GGU....
User avatar
nausearockpig
 
Posts: 3517
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:03 pm

Re: sterling spoon box set

Postby creep » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:30 pm

nausearockpig wrote:
kv wrote:
Hokahey wrote:
blackula wrote:Finally opened mine and listened to RDLH. I love the sound, bass especially, never owned original vinyl though.

In hindsight, is Rev when Perry "jumped the shark" with that techno version of Whole Lotta Love?


The title track of that album was the first time I heard something by Perry that I did not like, and that was definitely the beginning of the end.

My first eyebrow raising moment, I know I'm in the minority here, was some of GGU era stuff...Making mike watt wear a skirt...A few songs on GGU....Then rev was def the jumped the shark moment for me


Yah I'm with you on GGU....


there are people here that love that album...i was never one of them.

i love tahitian moon

porpoise head and good gods urge are ok.

the rest bore me
creep
Site Admin
 
Posts: 9094
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:51 am

Re: sterling spoon box set

Postby Hokahey » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:37 pm

GGU was completely legit. All around. Perry was still in outer space.
User avatar
Hokahey
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3681
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:51 pm

Re: sterling spoon box set

Postby Juana » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:58 pm

Hokahey wrote:GGU was completely legit. All around. Perry was still in outer space.


GGU is where I wish Perry would have taken the sound as he aged. I loved GGU more than self titled but that is just me.
Juana
 
Posts: 4657
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:52 pm

Re: sterling spoon box set

Postby nausearockpig » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:05 pm

Hokahey wrote:GGU was completely legit. All around. Perry was still in outer space.


For me, GGU is too far into hippy-dippy land. Too far away from Jane's and PFP (s/t). But yeah he was def past the stratosphere and not yet in the bubble...
User avatar
nausearockpig
 
Posts: 3517
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:03 pm

Re: sterling spoon box set

Postby Mescal » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:31 am

creep wrote:
nausearockpig wrote:
kv wrote:
Hokahey wrote:
blackula wrote:Finally opened mine and listened to RDLH. I love the sound, bass especially, never owned original vinyl though.

In hindsight, is Rev when Perry "jumped the shark" with that techno version of Whole Lotta Love?


The title track of that album was the first time I heard something by Perry that I did not like, and that was definitely the beginning of the end.

My first eyebrow raising moment, I know I'm in the minority here, was some of GGU era stuff...Making mike watt wear a skirt...A few songs on GGU....Then rev was def the jumped the shark moment for me


Yah I'm with you on GGU....


there are people here that love that album...i was never one of them.

i love tahitian moon

porpoise head and good gods urge are ok.

the rest bore me


Thick of it all is the highlight on that lp for me
User avatar
Mescal
 
Posts: 1824
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:23 am

Re: sterling spoon box set

Postby Six7Six7 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:51 am

Juana wrote:
Hokahey wrote:GGU was completely legit. All around. Perry was still in outer space.


GGU is where I wish Perry would have taken the sound as he aged. I loved GGU more than self titled but that is just me.


Me too.
User avatar
Six7Six7
 
Posts: 5679
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:55 pm
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Re: sterling spoon box set

Postby CaseyContrarian » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:04 am

Just got my box.

An unseasonably warm day in DC. Writing my book about alpha junkie William S. Burroughs and his impact on the Cult of Rock 'n' Roll. This album is still legend, even if the band squandered theirs. Somehow it all works today.

https://www.rocknrollburroughs.com
Attachments
IMG_0885.JPG
IMG_0885.JPG (99.31 KiB) Viewed 200 times
CaseyContrarian
 
Posts: 767
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:48 pm
Location: Washington, DC

PreviousNext

Return to Jane's Addiction News

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest