POLL: are you buying Sterling Spoon box set on release?

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects

Are you gonna buy it?

YES!
7%
NO
66%
May buy down the road. (sale/ebay/clearance)
27%

Total votes: 41

Artemis

Re: POLL: are you buying Sterling Spoon box set on release?

#21 Post by Artemis » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:58 am

If a crocheted tea cozy by Etty is included along with the spoons, I will buy the set for sure. :lol:

tubro

#22 Post by tubro » Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:53 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:
A small cup of plain yogurt or a coupon for 20% off beige pants from Old Navy will also be included. It represents Chaney and his personality.
That's probably not fair but I laughed so hard that my kid got pissed that he was missing phineas and ferb.

parklife03

#23 Post by parklife03 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:46 pm

I still don't understand why they don't remaster "NS" and "Ritual". Those are classic albums even for non-alternative rock fans, and they could get a lot more of money releasing a remastered or -EVEN BETTER- remixed edition. Jethro Tull's old albums are getting that treatment by Steven Wilson, and they sound absolutly amazing.
Same with the remixed re-release of Pearl Jam's "Ten".
I still don't get it, seriously.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#24 Post by Hokahey » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:49 pm

parklife03 wrote:I still don't understand why they don't remaster "NS" and "Ritual". Those are classic albums even for non-alternative rock fans, and they could get a lot more of money releasing a remastered or -EVEN BETTER- remixed edition. Jethro Tull's old albums are getting that treatment by Steven Wilson, and they sound absolutly amazing.
Have they ever done anything that made much sense?

Tyler Durden

#25 Post by Tyler Durden » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:19 pm

ritdehabit wrote:
parklife03 wrote:I still don't understand why they don't remaster "NS" and "Ritual". Those are classic albums even for non-alternative rock fans, and they could get a lot more of money releasing a remastered or -EVEN BETTER- remixed edition. Jethro Tull's old albums are getting that treatment by Steven Wilson, and they sound absolutly amazing.
Have they ever done anything that made much sense?
They had a 8-12 month moment of clarity around '08-'09. :lol:

Mescal

#26 Post by Mescal » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:07 pm

So they aren't gonna remaster them for the box set?

nausearockpig

#27 Post by nausearockpig » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:09 pm

Mescal wrote:

:lolol: No.

Tyler Durden

#28 Post by Tyler Durden » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:38 am

They're trying to appease (trick) people with the Day of the Dead skull that they went to the trouble of getting someone else to design for the cover.

Bandit72

#29 Post by Bandit72 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:07 am

Mescal wrote:
They will remaster them for the next boxset. The one which will include a used Etty thong.

Mescal

#30 Post by Mescal » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:10 am

I'd love to have a good live show from them on vinyl.

But that palladium show isn't really my favourite show.

We can keep on saying this, but why are they so lazy. Not only re releasing the same albums, even re releasing the same live show

Bandit72

#31 Post by Bandit72 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:17 am

Mescal wrote:But that palladium show isn't really my favourite show.
But is it not the ONLY one out that isn't a 'boot'?

I'm sure they have numerous shows recorded professionally, why pick that one? Personally I love it, but yeh, I've heard boots I wish I could hear as intended.

Tyler Durden

#32 Post by Tyler Durden » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:23 am

Mescal wrote:I'd love to have a good live show from them on vinyl.

We can keep on saying this, but why are they so lazy. Not only re releasing the same albums, even re releasing the same live show
This is an easy one. It's because they can afford to be lazy...

Perry makes like a zillion dollars off of Lollapalooza every year (especially now that it's in multiple international markets...Chile, Berlin, etc).

Dave makes more money from Spike Tv than he would from any physical media that Jane's were to release. And being on television gets Dave more exposure, bolstering his celebrity, and in turn, scores more pussy (a huge motivating factor for him).

Chaney has no say. And really, he makes more money off session work with the likes of Celine Dion and other crap like that.

Perkins is probably the guy who wants Jane's to be a functioning band the most. I suppose he'd be the "go to" guy when it comes to curating a decent Jane's live album. But Perry's ego is so damn fragile, he probably vetoes any Jane's product that he doesn't have a hand in.

As long as Eric doesn't have to deal with Perry, he's cool with whatever.

JOEinPHX

#33 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:09 pm

I'm just surprised PerryEtty hasn't pulled a Sharon Osbourne and had the bass re-recorded.

Mescal

#34 Post by Mescal » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:22 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:
Mescal wrote:I'd love to have a good live show from them on vinyl.

This is an easy one. It's because they can afford to be lazy...

Perry makes like a zillion dollars off of Lollapalooza every year (especially now that it's in multiple international markets...Chile, Berlin, etc).

Dave makes more money from Spike Tv than he would from any physical media that Jane's were to release. And being on television gets Dave more exposure, bolstering his celebrity, and in turn, scores more pussy (a huge motivating factor for him).

Chaney has no say. And really, he makes more money off session work with the likes of Celine Dion and other crap like that.

Perkins is probably the guy who wants Jane's to be a functioning band the most. I suppose he'd be the "go to" guy when it comes to curating a decent Jane's live album. But Perry's ego is so damn fragile, he probably vetoes any Jane's product that he doesn't have a hand in.

As long as Eric doesn't have to deal with Perry, he's cool with whatever.
Why bother releasing a box set then?

Anyways, whatever, no one will buy the box set, cause we all have the albums on different formats, and the cabinet set and all that

nausearockpig

#35 Post by nausearockpig » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:48 am

It's limited to 5000 copies. I reckon they're betting on it being "a collectible"....

Tyler Durden

#36 Post by Tyler Durden » Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:34 pm

A peak inside at the artwork...

The Palladium show cover looks cool. Also notice the modification to the Kettle Whistle cover (of what is shown).

JOEinPHX

#37 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:50 pm

I'd be interested in knowing whose idea all these box sets and collections are.

Because it's all super half assed bullshit.

Do they not look at what other bands are releasing before they put this crap together?

Perry: Hey we should put out a box set like other bands do.
Dave and Perk: Cool, we should include...
Perry: NO! MY BAND! I DECIDE!
Dave and Perk: Whatever. Just make sure you have the right address to send the check to
Manager: So what should we put in it?
Perry: The same stuff we always do. Just change the artwork.
Manager: But no one will buy it and...
Perry: NO! MY BAND! I DECIDE!
Etty: I love you so much when you add money to our bank account like that.

nausearockpig

#38 Post by nausearockpig » Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:47 pm

I remember when that Live in NYC cd &/or DVD came out a couple of years ago, Dave had NO IDEA it was coming out until someone called into Dark Matter to let him know... Dan Cleary knew before Dave did.....

Pandemonium

#39 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:28 pm

Usually it's the suits in marketing at the record company that come up with these ideas and depending on what kind of rights they have to the material, involve the band at some point. Some bands have enough power in their contracts to have veto power on any such project no matter how much the labels wants to put out that sort of collection. Warner Bros is really the worst (or best depending on your perspective) when it comes to milking and repackaging a band's stuff.

On the other hand, some bands have zero say in these collections, such as most of the bands that were signed to UK label Beggars Banquet in the 80's. They put out a couple pretty massive box sets about a decade ago for The Cult with no input from the band at all (The Cult left BB around '95), the second of which was mostly really rough demos and rehearsals that Ian Astbury called "scrapping the bottom of the barrel" when he heard about the release after it was in stores.

Mescal

#40 Post by Mescal » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:13 pm

I'm probably gonna end up buying this.

Can't ....... resist ...........vinyl

Mescal

#41 Post by Mescal » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:15 pm

Was looking at the set list from the palladium show.

Is the set missing Jane Says?

intertwoven

#42 Post by intertwoven » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:32 pm

Mescal wrote:Was looking at the set list from the palladium show.

Is the set missing Jane Says?
No "Jane Says" at that show.
http://janesaddiction.org/tour/show/jan ... 12-19/276/

Mescal

#43 Post by Mescal » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:52 am

oh ok, I thought all the live bits from Kettle Whistle came from that Palladium show

blackula

#44 Post by blackula » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:47 pm

Pandemonium wrote:Usually it's the suits in marketing at the record company that come up with these ideas and depending on what kind of rights they have to the material, involve the band at some point. Some bands have enough power in their contracts to have veto power on any such project no matter how much the labels wants to put out that sort of collection. Warner Bros is really the worst (or best depending on your perspective) when it comes to milking and repackaging a band's stuff.

On the other hand, some bands have zero say in these collections, such as most of the bands that were signed to UK label Beggars Banquet in the 80's. They put out a couple pretty massive box sets about a decade ago for The Cult with no input from the band at all (The Cult left BB around '95), the second of which was mostly really rough demos and rehearsals that Ian Astbury called "scrapping the bottom of the barrel" when he heard about the release after it was in stores.
Last year the Butthole Surfers were posting in the message board on their website to not buy the vinyl reissue of Independent Worm Saloon. The drummer was posting that they had nothing to do with it, it should be a double LP and will sound like shit condensed onto 1 LP and the 180 gram advertising is retarded because it will sound like shit anyway so who cares. They were always a savvy band too, they won their records back from Alternative Tentacles and Touch and Go but the major labels fucked them.

Hype

#45 Post by Hype » Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:46 pm

Mescal wrote:oh ok, I thought all the live bits from Kettle Whistle came from that Palladium show
http://janesaddiction.org/discography/j ... e-whistle/
Track 6 was recorded on July 24, 1991 at the Lollapalooza concert at the Irvine Meadows Amphitheatre, Irvine, CA. Track 8 was recorded on January 26, 1987 at The Roxy Theatre in Los Angeles, CA with overdubs recorded in 1997. Tracks 9-12 were recorded on December 19, 1990 at the Hollywood Palladium in Hollywood, Los Angeles, CA. Track 14 was recorded on November 13, 1986 at The Pyramid in Hollywood, Los Angeles, CA.