Janes Nominated for HOF

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Romeo

Re: Janes Nominated for HOF

#81 Post by Romeo » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:42 am

Pandemonium wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote: (Morello sez) "As their number one fan I’m happy to report that Jane’s Addiction are just as great today as that day I snuck into their rehearsal space long ago."
Did he write this in 1997? Because this ain't the case from then onward.
maybe he's hearing impaired

Hokahey
Site Admin

#82 Post by Hokahey » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:31 pm

Romeo wrote:
Pandemonium wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote: (Morello sez) "As their number one fan I’m happy to report that Jane’s Addiction are just as great today as that day I snuck into their rehearsal space long ago."
OMG! Bman is Tom Morello! If he mentions Gathering of the Vibes we'll know.

creep
Site Admin

#83 Post by creep » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:38 pm

:noclue:
Rock & Roll Hall of Fame 2017: Where does Jane's Addiction fit in?

CLEVELAND, Ohio – We're roughly a month away from the announcement of the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame's Class of 2017.

The 19 acts nominated for induction make up one of the most diverse and expansive ballots in Rock Hall history. With several classic rock acts, two 1990s icons and several returning nominees, one band being overlooked is Jane's Addiction, which has received its first nomination since becoming eligible in 2012.

Over the next few weeks, we will examine the candidacy of each of the 19 nominees, starting with the 1980s/1990s alt-rockers who birthed the phrase "Jane Says."

Essential Albums

"Nothing's Shocking" (1988)
"Ritual de lo habitual" (1990)

Essential Songs

"Been Caught Stealing"
"Jane Says"
"Mountain Song"
"Ocean Size"
"Three Days"

Case for induction

While Nirvana, Soundgarden and Pearl Jam often get credit for moving mainstream music fans away from the hair metal of the 1980s, Jane's Addiction actually laid the groundwork for alternative rock's emergence years earlier. There was nothing really like Jane's Addiction at the time of the band's debut, especially in Los Angeles. Acts like Rage Against the Machine, Smashing Pumpkins, Marilyn Manson, Korn and even Radiohead owe a bit of gratitude to Jane's Addiction for broadening the idea of where rock could go.

Of course, it goes beyond just influence. Jane's Addiction is a great band. While its catalog is limited, what has been released is nothing short of groundbreaking. And that's all on top of Perry Farrell and the band pioneering the modern rock festival format with Lollapalooza.

Case against induction

It's really hard to knock Jane's Addiction's resume, other than to compare it to some of the other artists of the same era that have yet to get in. In terms of quantity and quality of work, would you take Jane's Addiction over Smashing Pumpkins? Was the band more influential than Soundgarden or Sonic Youth? Did they break more ground than Nine Inch Nails?

In terms of this year's ballot, Pearl Jam looms large as the guaranteed band from the early 1990s era destined for induction. And, right or wrong, voters will look at the collection of class rock acts that includes Electric Light Orchestra, The Cars, Journey and Steppenwolf as precursors to just about any rock act that came before them, including Jane's Addiction.

JOEinPHX

#84 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:56 pm

Hokahey wrote:
Romeo wrote:
Pandemonium wrote:
I heard that was the best show they have done since 1991. Perry was on fire.

JOEinPHX

#85 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:58 pm

creep wrote::noclue:
Rock & Roll Hall of Fame 2017: Where does Jane's Addiction fit in?

CLEVELAND, Ohio – We're roughly a month away from the announcement of the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame's Class of 2017.

The 19 acts nominated for induction make up one of the most diverse and expansive ballots in Rock Hall history. With several classic rock acts, two 1990s icons and several returning nominees, one band being overlooked is Jane's Addiction, which has received its first nomination since becoming eligible in 2012.

Over the next few weeks, we will examine the candidacy of each of the 19 nominees, starting with the 1980s/1990s alt-rockers who birthed the phrase "Jane Says."

Essential Albums

"Nothing's Shocking" (1988)
"Ritual de lo habitual" (1990)

Essential Songs

"Been Caught Stealing"
"Jane Says"
"Mountain Song"
"Ocean Size"
"Three Days"

Case for induction

While Nirvana, Soundgarden and Pearl Jam often get credit for moving mainstream music fans away from the hair metal of the 1980s, Jane's Addiction actually laid the groundwork for alternative rock's emergence years earlier. There was nothing really like Jane's Addiction at the time of the band's debut, especially in Los Angeles. Acts like Rage Against the Machine, Smashing Pumpkins, Marilyn Manson, Korn and even Radiohead owe a bit of gratitude to Jane's Addiction for broadening the idea of where rock could go.

Of course, it goes beyond just influence. Jane's Addiction is a great band. While its catalog is limited, what has been released is nothing short of groundbreaking. And that's all on top of Perry Farrell and the band pioneering the modern rock festival format with Lollapalooza.

Case against induction

It's really hard to knock Jane's Addiction's resume, other than to compare it to some of the other artists of the same era that have yet to get in. In terms of quantity and quality of work, would you take Jane's Addiction over Smashing Pumpkins? Was the band more influential than Soundgarden or Sonic Youth? Did they break more ground than Nine Inch Nails?

In terms of this year's ballot, Pearl Jam looms large as the guaranteed band from the early 1990s era destined for induction. And, right or wrong, voters will look at the collection of class rock acts that includes Electric Light Orchestra, The Cars, Journey and Steppenwolf as precursors to just about any rock act that came before them, including Jane's Addiction.
Yay Pearl Jam! :rockon:

Romeo

#86 Post by Romeo » Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:40 am

Hokahey wrote:
Romeo wrote:
Pandemonium wrote:
:lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

bman

#87 Post by bman » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:54 am

Classic!
"Perry was on fire!"
Good times my friends.

creep
Site Admin

#88 Post by creep » Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:34 am

this surprised me. too bad they aren't getting in
Perry Farrell ‏@perryfarrell 2h2 hours ago

@C00L0UT: Eric Avery needs to be involved, it's the 90's music that qualifies Janes to the Hall

Perry: Agreed.

Pandemonium

#89 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:10 am

creep wrote:this surprised me. too bad they aren't getting in

@C00L0UT: Eric Avery needs to be involved, it's the 90's music that qualifies Janes to the Hall

Perry: SAgreed$.
Made it honest.

JOEinPHX

#90 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:35 am

:no:

Perry had the opportunity to involve the guy, and he disinvolved the guy when all he wanted to do was jam with the band in the rehearsal space. Fuck you, Perry :flip:

creep
Site Admin

#91 Post by creep » Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:20 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:

:no:

Perry had the opportunity to involve the guy, and he disinvolved the guy when all he wanted to do was jam with the band in the rehearsal space. Fuck you, Perry :flip:
to be fair both of them seem like a pain in the ass to work with.

perry doesn't deserve much credit these days but i give him credit for agreeing that eric should be part of it and that it's really about the first 2 (3?) albums.

Artemis

#92 Post by Artemis » Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:42 pm

creep wrote:
to be fair both of them seem like a pain in the ass to work with.

perry doesn't deserve much credit these days but i give him credit for agreeing that eric should be part of it and that it's really about the first 2 (3?) albums.

Yup, totally agree.

Noonesshocking

#93 Post by Noonesshocking » Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:26 pm

Hokahey
Site Admin

#94 Post by Hokahey » Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:52 pm

Noonesshocking wrote:
No Perry. No one ageees.

someguy

#95 Post by someguy » Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:56 pm

Noonesshocking wrote:

I saw the Eric thing and thought "wow, Perry had a rational thought!" Then I saw that. So why not Martyn too since Chris recorded his parts on strays?

panicparty

#96 Post by panicparty » Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:47 am

I know everyone here hates him, but Chaney is, by a reasonable margin, the longest serving bass player the band has had, and is their current one. If Metallica could include Trujillo who, IIRC, hadn't released a note of music with the band at the time, it would seem ludicrous for Chaney not to be included.

Although as everyone seems to realise, it's academic anyway because there's no chance they're going in right now.

I'm a fan of Martyn, but realistically his period with the band was brief and he didn't appear on any albums, albeit I think he has some writing credits on Strays? On that logic, you'd have to include Duff, and I think his playing stayed on the album, so his claim would be stronger.

In terms of credit for putting Jane's where they are / were, there's also potentially a stronger argument for the guys that were in the band with Perry and Eric (pre Dave and Perk) when a lot of their songbook was originally written, than either Martyn or Chaney.

creep
Site Admin

#97 Post by creep » Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:18 am

i don't think everyone hates chris. his main problem is that he just isn't eric and he doesn't really have that "cool" factor that eric and martyn have. technically he is a better bass player than both of them.

nausearockpig

#98 Post by nausearockpig » Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:46 am

creep wrote:i don't think everyone hates chris. his main problem is that he just isn't eric and he doesn't really have that "cool" factor that eric and martyn have. technically he is a better bass player than both of them.
According to a lot here, he doesn't have "the deep rumbling / thundering groove" or some such. That and he doesn't walk around in circles on stage either...

Romeo

#99 Post by Romeo » Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:46 am

nausearockpig wrote:
creep wrote:i don't think everyone hates chris. his main problem is that he just isn't eric and he doesn't really have that "cool" factor that eric and martyn have. technically he is a better bass player than both of them.
According to a lot here, he doesn't have "the deep rumbling / thundering groove" or some such. That and he doesn't walk around in circles on stage either...
no, he's a mannequin. If I didn't see his fingers move I'd think he was dead
He shows up, does what he says and is a good soldier.

Hype

#100 Post by Hype » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:33 am

I don't think you get into a hall of FAME for being technically proficient... Seems like you get into it for being FAMED.

By that metric, Jane's Addiction doesn't really stand out. Pearl Jam is way more famous than Jane's Addiction. Arguably Dave Navarro on his own is more famous than the non-Eddie Vedder members of PJ, but Dave's not really that famous for music.

JA is probably a little bit more famous than a few of the bands ahead of them on this year's ballot, because of Lollapalooza, I guess, and maybe the theme song for Entourage (which is a reason why Chris should be involved).

:bored: I'm not holding my breath.

Nothing's Shocking isn't going to be a better album if it gets recognition.

someguy

#101 Post by someguy » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:36 pm

FYI fan voting got screwed up somehow, and now everyone has until December 15th to vote instead of Dec. 5th. Kinda sucks we have to wait longer.

someguy

#102 Post by someguy » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:42 pm

Also found this

http://www.billboard.com/articles/colum ... f-fame-bid

Dave and Perry has done a lot of press lately with NYT, rollingstone, etc. Usually you do that when you're in...

panicparty

#103 Post by panicparty » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:49 am

I think maybe they're doing the press because they're getting asked - I don't get the impression that Jane's have been top of any editor's "must get an interview with them" list for some time, and now the HoF thing gives them an "in"

Noonesshocking

#104 Post by Noonesshocking » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:51 am

someguy wrote:Also found this

http://www.billboard.com/articles/colum ... f-fame-bid

Dave and Perry has done a lot of press lately with NYT, rollingstone, etc. Usually you do that when you're in...
That's actually a great interview. Genuinely classy and substantive comments from Perry.

I kinda cringed at the "tell me about the first time you and dave got together" question, because I could tell the interviewer did not understand the true dynamics of the band. In answering that question, it was great that Perry emphasized what he and Eric had been doing up to that point, and also how much Stephen made all the difference. Seems that he truly would like the four of them to attend and mend fences if they are inducted.

Hype

#105 Post by Hype » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:49 am

Perry claims the second guitarist's name was "Mark"... I don't think that's ever been mentioned in any history of JA that I've seen. They always mention Ed and Matt...