Matz

Re: Janes Nominated for HOF

#61 Post by Matz » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:06 pm

fuck, I hope that doesn't mean they're never getting in :noclue:

JOEinPHX

#62 Post by JOEinPHX » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:18 pm

Matz wrote:fuck, I hope that doesn't mean they're never getting in :noclue:
The R&R HOF is going to choose who they feel like choosing.

If they cared what people thought, they'd be inducting way more every year and no rap artists would be getting in.

someguy

#63 Post by someguy » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:56 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:

If they cared what people thought, they'd be inducting way more every year and no rap artists would be getting in.

Very true- Nails was in the top five the past two years and didn't get in. No way Journey gets in. They're only at the top of list because of people on twitter that are like "hey its the don't stop believing band!"

crater

#64 Post by crater » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:34 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:

I consider myself people and there are plenty of rap artists I would put into the R&R HOF.

JOEinPHX

#65 Post by JOEinPHX » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:07 pm

crater wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:

I consider myself people and there are plenty of rap artists I would put into the R&R HOF.
I'm talking about the majority of dimwitted rock fans. The ones who vote journey to the top of fan polls.

Mescal

#66 Post by Mescal » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:35 pm

Every time I see the title of this thread, I think of this :

SR

#67 Post by SR » Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:25 am

Well, I am staying in the sandbox on this one. I know the HOF is a joke, but the snubs make it interesting.....because by definition a snub means it means something.

I hope they don't get in. But they deserve to for all the wrong reasons.

erotic cheeses

Rock n roll hof

#68 Post by erotic cheeses » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:16 pm

Not sure whether it's from official sources but my Instagram feed was pumping for votes for Jane's,
yuck!

blackula

#69 Post by blackula » Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:41 pm

When does it get announced?

someguy

#70 Post by someguy » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:28 pm

blackula wrote:When does it get announced?
First week of December. Also, Jane's is still 11th overall. Doesn't mean much because ultimately it's up to the head honchos, but I'm still voting regardless.

bman

#71 Post by bman » Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:26 am

So like the General Election the popular vote means nothing?! Come on Janes get in! It may be the very last time you see Avery play a song with this band.

Bandit72

#72 Post by Bandit72 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:01 am

Looks like Journey is going to piss this.

JOEinPHX

#73 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:10 am

bman wrote:So like the General Election the popular vote means nothing?! Come on Janes get in! It may be the very last time you see Avery play a song with this band.
There has been quite the historical precedent of bands not letting an original member perform with them at the HoF induction.

If you didn't catch the reunion in 2010, I'm going to guess you'll never see Avery with them ever again.

crater

#74 Post by crater » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:36 am

Six7Six7 wrote:
bman wrote:So like the General Election the popular vote means nothing?! Come on Janes get in! It may be the very last time you see Avery play a song with this band.
There has been quite the historical precedent of bands not letting an original member perform with them at the HoF induction.
The two times I ever bothered to pay attention to anything related to the R&RHOF was when Blondie and Kiss were put in. Just to see what was going to happen if the original members played and how uncomfortable they might act during their speeches due to how badly the original members in those bands didn't get along.

Kiss was ok during their speeches and didn't play. Blondie on stage during their speeches made me cringe at how tense it was. I would expect something like how Deborah Harry acted from the likes of Perry and Etty (because you know damn well she is going up on stage with the band too) towards Eric if he even decides to attend the event.

JOEinPHX

#75 Post by JOEinPHX » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:38 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:Shall we play "If Jane's Addiction gets the nod, who inducts them?"?

I say Tom Morello. or Henry Rollins.

Those are the two guys who seem to kiss their ass the most when a quote about Jane's Addiction is needed.
And Tom Morello has put in his two cents:

http://www.billboard.com/articles/colum ... fame-essay
Tom Morello on Why Jane's Addiction Belongs in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame: 'They Started a Moshpit in My Mind'
For Tom Morello it's personal. The Rage Against the Machine/Prophets of Rage guitarist feels so strongly about Jane's Addiction getting into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame this year that he's penned an impassioned essay for Billboard about the band he calls "the punk rock Led Zeppelin," recalling how they "started a moshpit in my mind." The legendary Los Angeles alt-rock godheads made it into nomination for the first time this year among 19 acts vying for entry into the HoF. We won't know until December if the "Jane Says" rockers will make the cut, but for Morello there is no doubt that they belong in Cleveland.

Morello penned this impassioned pitch on behalf of Jane's for Billboard:

Jane’s addiction are the Sex Pistols of the Alternative Nation, a small, brilliant catalog of songs and a shocking, groundbreaking ethos that changed music forever. When I moved to Los Angeles in 1986 to pursue my rock dreams, hair metal was king. The bands playing the Sunset Strip all looked the same, sounded the same, pouted the same. Then one night I went to a downtown joint called Al’s Bar and someone gave me a bootleg cassette of a local band called Jane’s Addiction. It blew my mind, jolted the axis of my understanding of rock music, and convinced me to extend the lease on my apartment on Normandie.

I had never heard anything like it. It was like a punk rock Led Zeppelin. Jane’s provided all the testosterone-fueled guitar riffage that my suburban upbringing required but mixed it with gorgeous acoustic songs and an underground artistry that was completely original and completely awesome. Savage but beautiful. Riff-heavy but smart. Jane’s didn’t look or sound like any other band in the history of rock 'n' roll, and within a short period of time they absolutely owned Los Angeles.

I actually snuck into a Jane’s Addiction rehearsal once, sitting on some nasty carpet in the corner. I’d played a lot of rock shows, been to a lot of rock shows, but I’d never seen or felt anything like THIS. It was like grabbing a live power line with a million volts coursing through it. They started a moshpit in my mind that’s still spinning to this day. I vowed that night that one day I was going to be in a band that felt like THAT onstage.

Jane’s Addiction deserve to be in the worldwide Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, but they are quintessentially a Los Angeles band. Perhaps the BEST LA band EVER if you can believe what the Red Hot Chili Peppers or Rage Against the Machine guys have to say. They are a band that sounds like the city in which they were formed. You can hear the violence, the drugs, the beauty, the ocean, the hope, smog, fear and redemptive power of Los Angeles in Jane’s music. And while, like all the best bands, Jane’s Addiction are greater than the sum of their parts, each member of the band is extraordinary in his own right.

Stephen Perkins’ tribal whirlwind of drumming propelled Jane’s music into directions other bands could only dream of. Dave Navarro’s shirtless power riffing and wild astral solos gave metal heads like myself a reason to love the band and challenged indie rock snobs to deal with the presence of an undeniably great ROCK guitarist in an underground band. Eric Avery’s murderously heavy bass grooves form the backbone of some of the most badass riffs of all time. And Perry Farrell is unlike any other frontman, singer or lyricist in the history of rock. A former homeless, sex worker drug addict, Perry’s voice, sometimes child-like and innocent, sometimes bone-chillingly urgent, pulled gorgeous twisted melodies out of thin air while he spun deep and true poetic tales of life in our city.

Perry presided as the furious Santeria shaman over their legendary live shows as the band destroyed venue after venue around the world and single-handedly forged the Lollapalooza Nation, smashing barriers between genres, bringing the fringe into the mainstream, and allowing rockers and rappers to share the same stage for the first time. The creation of U.S. festival culture ALONE merits induction to the Hall. Every glorious multi-genre festival show you ever attend -- Lollapalooza, Coachella, Austin City Limits, Governor’s Ball and all the rest -- owe a significant debt to the vision of Perry Farrell and his band.

“I want to be more like the ocean,” sang Perry, “no talking, and all action.” Inspiring, intelligent, furiously rocking and artistically deep. As their number one fan I’m happy to report that Jane’s Addiction are just as great today as that day I snuck into their rehearsal space long ago. Various important bands get credit for being the first “alternative” band to break through, bands that changed music and led rock out of the hair metal wilderness of the '80s. I’m here to set the record straight: It was “Juanes Adiccion.” I can’t think of a more deserving candidate for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Pandemonium

#76 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:34 pm

Six7Six7 wrote: (Morello sez) "As their number one fan I’m happy to report that Jane’s Addiction are just as great today as that day I snuck into their rehearsal space long ago."
Did he write this in 1997? Because this ain't the case from then onward.

kv

#77 Post by kv » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:55 pm

He must mean in rehearsal....ya know where perry never is

JOEinPHX

#78 Post by JOEinPHX » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:49 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote: (Morello sez) "As their number one fan I’m happy to report that Jane’s Addiction are just as great today as that day I snuck into their rehearsal space long ago."
Accurate.

JOEinPHX

#79 Post by JOEinPHX » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:50 pm

kv wrote:He must mean in rehearsal....ya know where perry never is
Also accurate.

elportosurfer9

#80 Post by elportosurfer9 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:57 pm

I hope they get in so i can see all the old/new film :thumb: footage they will have before they get inducted.

Romeo

#81 Post by Romeo » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:42 am

Pandemonium wrote:
maybe he's hearing impaired

Hokahey
Site Admin

#82 Post by Hokahey » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:31 pm

Romeo wrote:
Pandemonium wrote:
OMG! Bman is Tom Morello! If he mentions Gathering of the Vibes we'll know.

creep
Site Admin

#83 Post by creep » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:38 pm

:noclue:
Rock & Roll Hall of Fame 2017: Where does Jane's Addiction fit in?

CLEVELAND, Ohio – We're roughly a month away from the announcement of the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame's Class of 2017.

The 19 acts nominated for induction make up one of the most diverse and expansive ballots in Rock Hall history. With several classic rock acts, two 1990s icons and several returning nominees, one band being overlooked is Jane's Addiction, which has received its first nomination since becoming eligible in 2012.

Over the next few weeks, we will examine the candidacy of each of the 19 nominees, starting with the 1980s/1990s alt-rockers who birthed the phrase "Jane Says."

Essential Albums

"Nothing's Shocking" (1988)
"Ritual de lo habitual" (1990)

Essential Songs

"Been Caught Stealing"
"Jane Says"
"Mountain Song"
"Ocean Size"
"Three Days"

Case for induction

While Nirvana, Soundgarden and Pearl Jam often get credit for moving mainstream music fans away from the hair metal of the 1980s, Jane's Addiction actually laid the groundwork for alternative rock's emergence years earlier. There was nothing really like Jane's Addiction at the time of the band's debut, especially in Los Angeles. Acts like Rage Against the Machine, Smashing Pumpkins, Marilyn Manson, Korn and even Radiohead owe a bit of gratitude to Jane's Addiction for broadening the idea of where rock could go.

Of course, it goes beyond just influence. Jane's Addiction is a great band. While its catalog is limited, what has been released is nothing short of groundbreaking. And that's all on top of Perry Farrell and the band pioneering the modern rock festival format with Lollapalooza.

Case against induction

It's really hard to knock Jane's Addiction's resume, other than to compare it to some of the other artists of the same era that have yet to get in. In terms of quantity and quality of work, would you take Jane's Addiction over Smashing Pumpkins? Was the band more influential than Soundgarden or Sonic Youth? Did they break more ground than Nine Inch Nails?

In terms of this year's ballot, Pearl Jam looms large as the guaranteed band from the early 1990s era destined for induction. And, right or wrong, voters will look at the collection of class rock acts that includes Electric Light Orchestra, The Cars, Journey and Steppenwolf as precursors to just about any rock act that came before them, including Jane's Addiction.

JOEinPHX

#84 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:56 pm

Hokahey wrote:
Romeo wrote:
Pandemonium wrote:
OMG! Bman is Tom Morello! If he mentions Gathering of the Vibes we'll know.
I heard that was the best show they have done since 1991. Perry was on fire.

JOEinPHX

#85 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:58 pm

creep wrote::noclue:
Rock & Roll Hall of Fame 2017: Where does Jane's Addiction fit in?

CLEVELAND, Ohio – We're roughly a month away from the announcement of the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame's Class of 2017.

The 19 acts nominated for induction make up one of the most diverse and expansive ballots in Rock Hall history. With several classic rock acts, two 1990s icons and several returning nominees, one band being overlooked is Jane's Addiction, which has received its first nomination since becoming eligible in 2012.

Over the next few weeks, we will examine the candidacy of each of the 19 nominees, starting with the 1980s/1990s alt-rockers who birthed the phrase "Jane Says."

Essential Albums

"Nothing's Shocking" (1988)
"Ritual de lo habitual" (1990)

Essential Songs

"Been Caught Stealing"
"Jane Says"
"Mountain Song"
"Ocean Size"
"Three Days"

Case for induction

While Nirvana, Soundgarden and Pearl Jam often get credit for moving mainstream music fans away from the hair metal of the 1980s, Jane's Addiction actually laid the groundwork for alternative rock's emergence years earlier. There was nothing really like Jane's Addiction at the time of the band's debut, especially in Los Angeles. Acts like Rage Against the Machine, Smashing Pumpkins, Marilyn Manson, Korn and even Radiohead owe a bit of gratitude to Jane's Addiction for broadening the idea of where rock could go.

Of course, it goes beyond just influence. Jane's Addiction is a great band. While its catalog is limited, what has been released is nothing short of groundbreaking. And that's all on top of Perry Farrell and the band pioneering the modern rock festival format with Lollapalooza.

Case against induction

It's really hard to knock Jane's Addiction's resume, other than to compare it to some of the other artists of the same era that have yet to get in. In terms of quantity and quality of work, would you take Jane's Addiction over Smashing Pumpkins? Was the band more influential than Soundgarden or Sonic Youth? Did they break more ground than Nine Inch Nails?

In terms of this year's ballot, Pearl Jam looms large as the guaranteed band from the early 1990s era destined for induction. And, right or wrong, voters will look at the collection of class rock acts that includes Electric Light Orchestra, The Cars, Journey and Steppenwolf as precursors to just about any rock act that came before them, including Jane's Addiction.
Yay Pearl Jam! :rockon: