MTV2 UK 5th Anniversary - 2003

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Hokahey
Site Admin

Re: MTV2 UK 5th Anniversary - 2003

#26 Post by Hokahey » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:39 pm

Tensions were building prior to all of that. Perks buddy was telling me how badly they wanted to ditch Perry and be "as big as Aerosmith instead of some artsy band" right around the release of Strays.

JOEinPHX

#27 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:43 pm

Straw that broke the stripper's back. :lol:

panicparty

#28 Post by panicparty » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:21 am

Six7Six7 wrote: Perry later turned around and said they couldn't record or tour because of Rockstar, which was a lie. Dave recorded that 2 days a week in LA and only agreed to do it AFTER Perry rejected any Jane's plans.
I always wondered about that - iirc Perry didn't specify Rockstar but referred to Dave's "reality tv" commitments or similar - I was never sure whether he meant Rockstar (which, as you say, makes no sense since it came after Jane's fell apart) or that he might have been referring to that MTV thing he was doing with Carmen in the run up to his wedding, which would have made more sense in terms of impacting on Jane's activity. Although in reality it looked like Perry having a tantrum and kicking out randomnly. so there's probably no right, coherent answer to that one.

IMHO it felt more like Rockstar damaged TPC if anything - they went from a cohesive unit working up songs together, to working separately in the studio on recording it, around Dave's tv and other commitments - this was also around the time he seemed to be doing lots of random awards show performances with people like Usher..

Noonesshocking

#29 Post by Noonesshocking » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:19 am

Hokahey wrote:Tensions were building prior to all of that. Perks buddy was telling me how badly they wanted to ditch Perry and be "as big as Aerosmith instead of some artsy band" right around the release of Strays.
It seems so crazy and short-sighted that they felt that way. Jane's had done pretty fucking well for themselves up to that point. No, they were not Aerosmith big, but they were still very successful and quite revered. It was also extremely unlikely that they would have taken any new project to the level of Aerosmith, even if it was great.

Maybe it's that old adage that poisoned the well: "Comparison is the thief of joy"

Hokahey
Site Admin

#30 Post by Hokahey » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:50 am

Noonesshocking wrote:
Hokahey wrote:Tensions were building prior to all of that. Perks buddy was telling me how badly they wanted to ditch Perry and be "as big as Aerosmith instead of some artsy band" right around the release of Strays.
It seems so crazy and short-sighted that they felt that way. Jane's had done pretty fucking well for themselves up to that point. No, they were not Aerosmith big, but they were still very successful and quite revered. It was also extremely unlikely that they would have taken any new project to the level of Aerosmith, even if it was great.

Maybe it's that old adage that poisoned the well: "Comparison is the thief of joy"
Dave and Perk wanted to rawk and be in a huge band. It's why nothing about TPC surprised me too much when it eventually happened. And Perry wanted to be a disco wizard, which is why Satellite Party didn't surprise me too much. Neither faction wanted to be the cool underground rock band any more.

And yes, I'm pretty sure Perry was whining about Til Death Do Us Part in regards to the "reality TV" thing. I also remember Etty whining about how Carmen had to be involved in everything and how annoying it was. I can't believe I forgot about that until now.

Extreme irony in regards to what each of them were whining about.

These guys have basically always been a dysfunctional bunch of idiots, and at various points let it bring them to the point of breaking up. But in 2004 they realized that despite how amazing they thought they could do without each faction holding the other back, they realized they couldn't make real money as a band without each other. So they married their two stupid visions in to a new rawk version of Jane's with a disco wizard lead singer.

Matz

#31 Post by Matz » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:10 pm

Perk and Dave should have found an interesting bass player back then and worked from there

JOEinPHX

#32 Post by JOEinPHX » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:07 pm

Matz wrote:Perk and Dave should have found an interesting bass player back then and worked from there
Imagine the shit fit Perry would have thrown if they worked with Eric. :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Had that happened, "Jane's Addiction" would have hit the road with Perry as the sole member, and he'd still be opening for Sponge and the Gin Blossoms to this day. :lol:

Noonesshocking

#33 Post by Noonesshocking » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:27 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:
Matz wrote:Perk and Dave should have found an interesting bass player back then and worked from there
Imagine the shit fit Perry would have thrown if they worked with Eric. :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Had that happened, "Jane's Addiction" would have hit the road with Perry as the sole member, and he'd still be opening for Sponge and the Gin Blossoms to this day. :lol:
Call me crazy, but I vaguely remember something coming from Dave's publicist around 2004 indicating Eric was at least meeting up with Dave to jam. Probably nothing substantial, but I do think they intended to do a little bit of playing together maybe for fun. I was just listening the spread radio show Eric guested on in 2005, and they briefly mention something about how they meant to do a little jamming but never got around to it.

Side note: it's funny listening to that episode, because they were on great terms at the time. Dave keeps saying how much he admires him and stuff. Then they talk about seeing Trent reznor around LA shopping for furniture and the show closes out with "physical" off the broken EP. It's wild!

panicparty

#34 Post by panicparty » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:36 am

Did they close the show playing the NIN recording of Physical, or did they play it themselves? If it was Dave and Eric playing it, I'd love to hear that... (big Adam and the Ants fan here..)

Noonesshocking

#35 Post by Noonesshocking » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:39 pm

Some more 2003 stuff has been getting uploaded lately.

Hour long MusiquePlus special:

Hilariously, someone at about 33:00 basically asks why the strays cover sucks and Perry explains the situation pretty candidly. Even though I'm not fond of this era at all, this is kind of an interesting watch. Some real fans asking some real questions.

Pro-shot lolla 2003 show from Camden NJ (thanks bman). My God, that piano on Summertime Rolls is an abomination :jasper:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpdkdWn72Rw&t=188s

Edit: the second one won't embed for some reason :noclue:

someguy

#36 Post by someguy » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:57 pm

Lol at Dave trying to put a positive spin on the album cover.

jptm

#37 Post by jptm » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:12 pm

The MusiquePlus show was filmed in Montreal.... I had tickets to see them the day after; & the show was cancelled...

really cut a slice into my fondness for the band.

:balls:

panicparty

#38 Post by panicparty » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:45 am

A couple of pages back I referred to an interview Dave did in early '04 but I was hazy on the details - by accident I've since come across a report on NME of it - that was probably where I originally read it since I don't watch MTV. Anyway, as I said back then, early '04 (report in NME dated 23rd January) Dave still sounded committed and enthusiastic about the future of Jane's:

Guitarist Dave Navarro wants a follow-up to 'Strays' out within the year...

Jane’s Addiction may have a new album out as early as next year, according to guitar hero DAVE NAVARRO.

Although the band are officially on a break after pulling the rest of their US dates before Christmas, Navarro has told MTV that he would like to use the band’s downtime to write and record.

He said: “Since we’ve been on tour for a year with a solid line-up, we’re a much tighter unit and the songwriting will go much more smoothly. For ‘Strays’, we basically got back together, went into the studio for nine months and wrote it there.”

“That’s an expensive and arduous way to make a record. This time I’d like to see us get together in a rehearsal room, write the songs top to bottom and then record them in four to six weeks.”

And although there is no official word yet, Navarro has also pledged his intentions to bring back the Lollapolooza touring festival following 2003’s successful resurrection.

“It’s a dream come true,” said Navarro. “We put the festival together, hand-pick everybody that’s part of it and basically do it by our own rules. There’s no better way to spend a summer.”

Rumour has it that Jane’s Addiction frontman and festival co-ordinator Perry Farrell is keen to book Muse and Libertines.

Navarro also said that the next single from comeback album ‘Strays’ was likely to be ‘The Riches’.
http://www.nme.com/news/music/janes-add ... 53-1370818

blackula

#39 Post by blackula » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:58 pm

This era owes me 100 bucks! 4 tickets for New Year's Eve at Madison Square Garden $600. $125 per ticket plus $25 handling fee. Band breaks up, my refund for 4 tickets is $125 each. Spent $600 and got $500 back. Not cool

tubro

#40 Post by tubro » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:02 pm

Hokahey wrote:
bman wrote:IMO the Strays era shows were bad. I saw them at Irving Plaza and on the Lolla 03 tour that year. They looked bored at lolla. I don't like any of the Strays era stuff on youtube either. It just seems like something is off. The TGEA tour, Ninja tour, and 25th anny tours were much better shows.
The Lolla tour was bad. The short club tour was pretty damn great.
i agree with this. Lolla was really awful. Audioslave sucked too, which is a sadder memory in light of recent events.
but there were some shows, and this clip of Mt. Song is accurate to the sentiment, where they just rocked balls. it's noteworthy perhaps that perry sings great at first but is off key and losing it later on. Perk is always a machine but it's particularly true here. and Navarro looks and sounds edgy and great.
14 years ago. unreal.

Mescal

#41 Post by Mescal » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:47 pm

Noonesshocking wrote:

[/youtube]

Wow, Dave certainly missed the intro to BCS :lol:

A fine performance, True Nature doesn't sound out of place.

Taken into account what happened later; 2003 wasn't half so bad

Mescal

#42 Post by Mescal » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:51 pm

And they missed a beat on the intro to Aint No Right :lol:

Mescal

#43 Post by Mescal » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:51 pm

Mescal wrote:
Noonesshocking wrote:

[/youtube]

Wow, Dave certainly missed the intro to BCS :lol:

A fine performance, True Nature doesn't sound out of place.

In the light of later events; 2003 wasn't half so bad

Mescal

#44 Post by Mescal » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:03 pm

Ok, after that, this came on youtube:

I liked this comment:

Horrible. The tatoos, the nipple rings, the ridiculous haircut combined with the fact the dude cannot play a stupidly easy song on tempo is troubling. And the singer post nose job is totally pitchy.

Mescal

#45 Post by Mescal » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:06 pm

Ok, now I'm being a bit of a fan geek, but doesn't he play a very small snippet of Iris around 2:47?

Mescal

#46 Post by Mescal » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:27 pm

Man, once you start going down the rabbit hole:

Love this video

Etty's dancing is spot on. And especially for Sinep, you can see her nipples!

And you can see Perry's rubbery face in close up, especially around the 3:26 mark.

Dave is looking at Etty a few times clearly thinking: I'm really loving her performance, I'm so glad to have her here on stage.

Then the few false notes inbetween....

Lovely

Mescal

#47 Post by Mescal » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:37 pm

I'm sure Etty vetoed this, like, ok you can sing a song that's not about me, but I get to perform on stage during the song