MTV2 UK 5th Anniversary - 2003

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Noonesshocking

MTV2 UK 5th Anniversary - 2003

#1 Post by Noonesshocking » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:49 pm

Was bored and saw this:

There is actually not a whole lot of stuff on youtube from the strays era. I have to assume this is probably one of their most on-point performances from that time. It's not really vibey or arty like relapse, but they sound big and powerful. Perry is singing full voice.

This was one of their last performances before the break up. I think someone here said they caught a club show around this time and it was also a cut above other shows from that tour. Maybe things behind the scenes were fueling some meaner performances.

Here's a cleaner mountain song from the same show:

SR

Re: MTV2 UK 5th Anniversary - 2003

#2 Post by SR » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:15 pm

There was that odd time where DN occupied the left side of the stage.....I like these vids, a lot, but they showcase the end of Jane's.....I wish I had understood this while still going to shows over the years.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#3 Post by Hokahey » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:34 pm

Noonesshocking wrote:I think someone here said they caught a club show around this time and it was also a cut above other shows from that tour. Maybe things behind the scenes were fueling some meaner performances.
That was probably me. I saw them at a small club in KC in December of 2003 and it was phenomenal. It was clear that no one on the stage liked each other much, or at least Perry. The tension was palpable. Perry was drunk and wild. The crowd was very raucous. Chaney was shirtless with his bass loud and way up in the mix. He actually seemed like an important member of the band that night. I also met Perry and Perk for the first time after the show and they were very nice and gracious. Each band member came out separately and went their own direction. It was a great night. It almost felt like the P4P show I saw in '96 but not as chaotic.

crater

#4 Post by crater » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:43 pm

Hokahey wrote:
Noonesshocking wrote:I think someone here said they caught a club show around this time and it was also a cut above other shows from that tour. Maybe things behind the scenes were fueling some meaner performances.
That was probably me. I saw them at a small club in KC in December of 2003 and it was phenomenal. It was clear that no one on the stage liked each other much, or at least Perry. The tension was palpable.
I also saw them in December. December 12th to be exact and they only played 5 more shows after mine before breaking up. I'll never forget the beginning of the show, where the band jumped right into Stop and got through approximately 70% of the song before Perry decided to come out from backstage and start singing. It was bizarre and came across like Perk/Dave/Chaney just wanted to hurry up and get the show over with and it didn't matter to them if Perry was out there while they were playing or not. Even though I videotaped the show and could dig it out and check to be 100% sure, but I don't recall any interaction between the band and Perry during the show other than when Perry introduced Perk/Dave/Chaney before one of the songs. I felt the show was terrible, because it was short and the majority of the songs played were off of Strays and by that point I had listened to Strays enough times to come to the realization that I didn't like those songs very much. The crowd seemed like they were there more for Offspring/BRMC/Iggy Pop/Rancid anyways and had started bailing during Jane's set, so with the audience that decided to stay not into it, the bands weird behavior and the Strays heavy setlist, I wasn't having a good time for what ultimately ended up being the last time I ever saw them play.

As an odd side note. I saw Banyan on November 28th and overheard Perk talking to Mike Watt about the upcoming Jane's shows and he seemed really into them and I actually heard him talk about how he couldn't wait for Jane's to play shows with Marilyn Manson. Which ultimately didn't end up happening because they broke up after playing those handful of shows in December after the Banyan show I saw. So something happened between the 28th of November and those few December shows where the band decided to dump Perry for that former MTV VJ.

Mescal

#5 Post by Mescal » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:02 am

I also saw them in october 2003.

I also thought the show was phenomenal :noclue:

Lots of energy from the band, lots of energy in the crowd, everybody singing along, Dave falling of the stage and they played price I pay because some guy in audience kept shouting for them to play that song.

Good times.

Can't believe it's been 13 years

esqfool

#6 Post by esqfool » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:29 am

Went to the same show as Hoka, and that was like watching a former sports great have one of those nights in their twilight where you're reminded why they were great. Tiny club, intense volume in the club due to the most overkill speaker setup I've ever seen in a club, and the band was on pure fuck it, lets rip mode. Kind of like when you quit trying and just do it, you play/perform your best, that was this.

Mescal

#7 Post by Mescal » Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:23 am

This is when I saw them. There's some live clips near the end

panicparty

#8 Post by panicparty » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:35 am

So something happened between the 28th of November and those few December shows where the band decided to dump Perry for that former MTV VJ.
I don't think that's quite the timeline - I recall seeing some interview Dave did in around February '04 (I think) where he was talking about hoping to get moving soon on the next Jane's record - I think it was when Dave, Perk and Chaney started trying to get things going on that, and Perry wasn't interested in showing up that they started exploring other options.

I also saw them in late '03 and have a similar memory to others - a band that looked in trouble, no interaction on stage between Perry and the others, Dave in particular looked totally pissed the whole show and couldn't wait to get off stage at the end. It made for a great Jane's show - Perry still had his voice and confidence, Dave's anger came out in some blisteringly aggressive playing, Perk pounding like a monster, and Chaney, high in the mix, owning his quarter of the stage and playing mighty bass.

Last Jane's show for me, and happy to have that as the memory. I passed on NINJA cos from all the clips I'd seen, it was gone - Perry simply didn't have it any more and the band was a sludgy mess, playing a step down. I know everyone was thrilled to see Avery back, but IMHO he's left it at least five years too late to come back when the thing could still have soared.

Jane's did a UK tv show a few days before I saw them (Jools Holland) and the vibe looked pretty dark then too. I remember them playing the acoustic version of Just Because, and it sounded great. They did it that way at the show I saw too.

bman

#9 Post by bman » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:32 am

IMO the Strays era shows were bad. I saw them at Irving Plaza and on the Lolla 03 tour that year. They looked bored at lolla. I don't like any of the Strays era stuff on youtube either. It just seems like something is off. The TGEA tour, Ninja tour, and 25th anny tours were much better shows.

crater

#10 Post by crater » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:20 am

panicparty wrote:
So something happened between the 28th of November and those few December shows where the band decided to dump Perry for that former MTV VJ.
I don't think that's quite the timeline - I recall seeing some interview Dave did in around February '04 (I think) where he was talking about hoping to get moving soon on the next Jane's record - I think it was when Dave, Perk and Chaney started trying to get things going on that, and Perry wasn't interested in showing up that they started exploring other options.
I'm just saying what I heard and saw from sitting no more than 5 feet away from Perk and Mike Watt before a Banyan show and overhearing their conversation. Perk went from being excited to be playing those ending December shows with Marilyn Manson, to the band playing those earlier December shows with obvious tension on stage, to the band canceling the ending December 2003 shows citing "band exhaustion" as the reason, to the band eventually breaking up in the span of just a few months. I know that's what was said in early 2004 as Dave/Perk/Chaney were just getting Panic Channel off the ground as they wanted to record and Perry was too busy booking Lollapalooza acts instead (which I saw as more of a dig at Perry, than something that he actually wanted to do) so they decided to move on without him but I seriously doubt that Dave was eagerly awaiting the chance to jump back into the studio to record with Perry after what went down only a few weeks prior. So maybe Dave did want to record something, but he just didn't want to record that something with Perry. Which is exactly want ended up happening. So what I said is that something happened shortly before or actually during that short December run where they, mostly Dave I'd imagine, didn't want to be in a band with Perry any longer.

Noonesshocking

#11 Post by Noonesshocking » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:40 am

crater wrote:I'm just saying what I heard and saw from sitting no more than 5 feet away from Perk and Mike Watt before a Banyan show and overhearing their conversation. Perk went from being excited to be playing those ending December shows with Marilyn Manson, to the band playing those earlier December shows with obvious tension on stage, to the band canceling the ending December 2003 shows citing "band exhaustion" as the reason, to the band eventually breaking up in the span of just a few months. I know that's what was said in early 2004 as Dave/Perk/Chaney were just getting Panic Channel off the ground as they wanted to record and Perry was too busy booking Lollapalooza acts instead (which I saw as more of a dig at Perry, than something that he actually wanted to do) so they decided to move on without him but I seriously doubt that Dave was eagerly awaiting the chance to jump back into the studio to record with Perry after what went down only a few weeks prior. So maybe Dave did want to record something, but he just didn't want to record that something with Perry. Which is exactly want ended up happening. So what I said is that something happened shortly before or actually during that short December run where they, mostly Dave I'd imagine, didn't want to be in a band with Perry any longer.
I think that is plausible. It's amazing how, in the span of about six months give or take, things went from pretty peachy (we're back! we're more mature and get along better now! new album!) to an acrimonious split.

bman

#12 Post by bman » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:38 am

Supposedly they had a wicked fight in Europe and that when they Quit.

Matz

#13 Post by Matz » Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:25 pm

how the fuck do you remember all that so exact? Do ya'll keep a Jane's journal or something?

bman

#14 Post by bman » Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:48 pm

The story back then, and I think it came right from Etty, was that they were on that Europe tour after Lolla 03, and Perry called them Pussies or something and they all quit on the spot. Obviously there's probably a lot more to the story. Too bad Dan Cleary wasn't around back then. He probably has seen so many Perry/Dave fights over the years.

JOEinPHX

#15 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:05 pm

Suddenly Perry's mangled face makes sense. He called Dave a pussy. :lol:

Hokahey
Site Admin

#16 Post by Hokahey » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:24 pm

bman wrote:IMO the Strays era shows were bad. I saw them at Irving Plaza and on the Lolla 03 tour that year. They looked bored at lolla. I don't like any of the Strays era stuff on youtube either. It just seems like something is off. The TGEA tour, Ninja tour, and 25th anny tours were much better shows.
The Lolla tour was bad. The short club tour was pretty damn great.

Noonesshocking

#17 Post by Noonesshocking » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:33 pm

Hokahey wrote:
bman wrote:IMO the Strays era shows were bad. I saw them at Irving Plaza and on the Lolla 03 tour that year. They looked bored at lolla. I don't like any of the Strays era stuff on youtube either. It just seems like something is off. The TGEA tour, Ninja tour, and 25th anny tours were much better shows.
I honestly believe the aesthetic they had going on during lolla '03 (i.e. the boa, and perry's NINJA-esque outfits) really did a lot of damage to their legacy. This is of course combined with other factors, but up to that point (even throughout '01 and '02) there was still considerable mystique and aura surrounding them.

Pandemonium

#18 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:57 pm

Hokahey wrote:
I've said this before and I'll say it again - the NYE Wiltern Theater show about 7 months before Strays was released was a pretty big disappointment for me. It was cool hearing several as-yet unreleased new songs but Cheney on bass often looked like a deer in the headlights (when he didn't look like a cardboard standee) and Perry reminded me of Vegas-era David Lee Roth. The weird magic that was there even in small doses on the Kettle Whistle tour was completely gone. I didn't bother seeing them again on the tour proper in '03 (and I liked a lot of Strays at the time) and didn't see them again until Avery rejoined in '09.

someguy

#19 Post by someguy » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:42 pm

bman wrote:The story back then, and I think it came right from Etty, was that they were on that Europe tour after Lolla 03, and Perry called them Pussies or something and they all quit on the spot. Obviously there's probably a lot more to the story. Too bad Dan Cleary wasn't around back then. He probably has seen so many Perry/Dave fights over the years.

I remember Sonny saying Dave gave him the lowdown over the phone- the basic gist is Perry stopped communicating with them, so they went ahead and started Panic Channel. Also it was building up gradually overtime. When Etty was posting on Xiola, she was talking about things like arguments at photo shoots and not letting Jane Bainter come to a lolla concert or whatever.

kv

#20 Post by kv » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:29 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
Hokahey wrote:
I've said this before and I'll say it again - the NYE Wiltern Theater show about 7 months before Strays was released was a pretty big disappointment for me. It was cool hearing several as-yet unreleased new songs but Cheney on bass often looked like a deer in the headlights (when he didn't look like a cardboard standee) and Perry reminded me of Vegas-era David Lee Roth. The weird magic that was there even in small doses on the Kettle Whistle tour was completely gone. I didn't bother seeing them again on the tour proper in '03 (and I liked a lot of Strays at the time) and didn't see them again until Avery rejoined in '09.
Exactly my thoughts...I was at that show it was sorta my last straw after hearing some of the new music at the Vegas show and feeling that Roth like vibe and janes with a keyboard guy, bored Dave, cardboard Chris add perry with his wine schtick and stupid song segues version 31431...it just ran outa gas for me...i saw them once after that Nye show..club with Avery where I knew it would never be better so I stepped away for good

Juana

#21 Post by Juana » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:25 pm

kv wrote:
Pandemonium wrote:
Hokahey wrote:
Exactly my thoughts...I was at that show it was sorta my last straw after hearing some of the new music at the Vegas show and feeling that Roth like vibe and janes with a keyboard guy, bored Dave, cardboard Chris add perry with his wine schtick and stupid song segues version 31431...it just ran outa gas for me...i saw them once after that Nye show..club with Avery where I knew it would never be better so I stepped away for good
I'm pretty sure that was the same show I was at too they played (maybe?) but I think that they played a Should I Stay half ass cover and that STUN band opened for them. I thought it was "okay" but I never got to see the original band only Relapse etc, so that is all I had to judge from. But it was a shit show compared to Relapse.

JOEinPHX

#22 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:19 am

kv wrote: Exactly my thoughts...I was at that show it was sorta my last straw after hearing some of the new music at the Vegas show and feeling that Roth like vibe and janes with a keyboard guy, bored Dave, cardboard Chris add perry with his wine schtick and stupid song segues version 31431...it just ran outa gas for me...i saw them once after that Nye show..club with Avery where I knew it would never be better so I stepped away for good
I've now accidentally seen Jane's Addiction more times than I purposely paid to do so.

I'd step away, but they just keep ending up at music festivals I attend. :lol:

panicparty

#23 Post by panicparty » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:23 am

in early 2004 as Dave/Perk/Chaney were just getting Panic Channel off the ground as they wanted to record and Perry was too busy booking Lollapalooza acts instead (which I saw as more of a dig at Perry, than something that he actually wanted to do) so they decided to move on without him but I seriously doubt that Dave was eagerly awaiting the chance to jump back into the studio to record with Perry after what went down only a few weeks prior.
I still don't buy that they were irrevocably broken up from the December and started working with Isaacs on TPC very early in '04 - the announcement of the breakup on Dave's blog was late June, I can't see that they'd been working on something new for six months without anyone getting a sniff of it.

Did you all see Dave's later sorta 'mea culpa' that he hid in the comments section on his blog? - iirc he acknowledged that Perry had obviously had more on his mind re. Lolla than he'd realised (Lolla was cancelled within days of the Jane's announcement) and blamed a lot of the communication breakdown on management - he claimed something like he'd since discovered that communication he thought had been conveyed by management had never reached Perry, and that management had now changed. I remember thinking that, albeit I realise that's how the industry works with management handling communications etc. but jeez, you've been in the band with this guy on and off for decades, do you not have his phone number that you could call and actually speak to the guy?

I remember Dave saying he was hiding the statement in the comments 'cos he didn't want it all over blabbermouth etc.

Anyhow, I still think the timeline is more like early 04 Chaney, Perk and Dave wanted to get things moving (on Jane's), started working on some ideas, couldn't get hold of Perry, so eventually Dave's then manager hooked them up with her then boyfriend Isaacs, and TPC was born.

That scenario sort of makes sense of Perry's reluctance to let the other three (Dave, Perk and Avery) work on stuff without him, since last time that happened, he lost his band.

I also got the impression that first summer that TPC seemed very new, with not much material fully formed, writing stuff as they went. They definitely didn't seem like a band that had been working on material for six months prior to launch - I don't think they'd been working with Isaacs for more than an month or two at most before the announcement. From Isaacs' postings (can't remember whether it was a blog, or twitter, maybe both) he was talking cryptically about working on something musical only very shortly before it went public, prior to that he was very much someone for who music was in the past.

I remember Dave's announcement of the split saying they'd broken up "roughly four times" over the years and wondering which occasions that was - there was '91, and after relapse, then the '04 split - when was the other time? Was there another split between the "jubilee" dates and the Strays period? Or maybe he considered the late '03 fallout as separate to the June '04 definitive breakup?
I seriously doubt that Dave was eagerly awaiting the chance to jump back into the studio to record with Perry
Well, I'm not so sure - even after the fallouts Dave's generally been complimentary of Perry's talents and it doesn't seem that any of the major bust-ups between those two have been in the studio - it's always seemed to me that's been on tour that they've struggled with each other. I can totally see Dave (at that time, when he still gave a shit about creating music) itching to get back in the studio and record new Jane's material. He was definitely talking about it around February '04 - can't find it now but I think it was on some red carpet interview outside an awards show where he said something like he was hoping they'd do something "soon" - fair enough it could have been bullshit, but for all his faults, Dave doesn't seem like a guy that lies?

crater

#24 Post by crater » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:42 am

Ok ok, I give up, you win Image

JOEinPHX

#25 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:03 pm

Panicparty is right. The band couldn't get Perry to agree on a recording timeline. Or any business timeline. It's why they were going through management, to determine what was going on with band business. Perry was busy with Lolla for the summer and said there would be no Jane's business for the rest of the year.

So DN did Rockstar that summer and started recording with Perk/Chaney/Isaacs.

Then Lolla went belly up and Perry wanted to know why his band didn't jump at the first opportunity to make music for him.

Perry later turned around and said they couldn't record or tour because of Rockstar, which was a lie. Dave recorded that 2 days a week in LA and only agreed to do it AFTER Perry rejected any Jane's plans.

So Perry got fed up with "his" band not doing exactly as he said and released that ridiculous statement to Rolling Stone about the band "being taken over by new masters" and "Jane only strips for me"

Soon after, TPC announced their existence once Perry threw his tantrum and put Jane's to bed officially.