Is music dead? will we get new music from JA/related people

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
janesbiggestfan

Is music dead? will we get new music from JA/related people

#1 Post by janesbiggestfan » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:09 pm

Just to start off, where is this picture from and what period is this? What is the guitar that dave is playing? the title says "chilli" but it looks like more or less relapse era... however the guitar is like an ugly stratocaster copy... Fuck Dave has aged so badly last couple of years... he used to be literally god-mode stylings and choices but lately I can't look at him... I know his perspective is different for having fucked propably more than a thousand attractive 20 year old chics over the decades... he probably feels he lived life and can let it go but still...

Ok and now to the point... don't necessarily want to flood the board with new useless topics since a similar thread (any new music in 2017?) has been discussed... but there is a certain element here that I was thinking about...

Namely: for all the times that the hopes of fans were crushed, for all the times that we expected greatness and triuphant return and received shit instead or at least semi-finished products that lacked that ultimate stroke of genius (decon, p4p, TNO, SYTBS etc) i genuinely think that this time is different... I think that the next 3 years are literally the last moment for Jane's related people to do anything remotely valuable one last time...

I know that after NINJA people said "ok its done"... after the Reznor sessions came to nothing... that the hopes were destroyed... but now really... This is diffent... Perry will be fucking 60 in 2019 :( I know many gave up hope for anything valuable from them but I believe that if they don't put out anything good in the next 3 years we are seeing the end of jane's addiction forever... I don't see them touring farther into Perry's 60s with his shot voice... In order to carry on they would have to present new music... Like Bowe did, and all the others who had longevity... reinventing themselves... creating... not milking the dead teet of 2 albums from 25 years back.

As a side note: Is music finally really dead? I know younger people respond to this question with the usual frustration and say "there is tons of great shit around, you just don't know it" but I've made a specific effort to listen to new sucessful and less sucessful music from new bands in 2016 and what is popular now is just horrid. I think the intenet finally destroyed music. One of the most popular things right now among younger people, i.e. 10-15 years younger than me (I'm 32) is rae sremmurd... it is just atrocious... i cant find words... this music is vile... I cant see it being anything else than a big fuck you to the world like "we will listen to this nails on the board shit and what are you gonna do about it?"
Attachments
Chili.jpg
Chili.jpg (19.27 KiB) Viewed 10698 times

kv

Re: Is music dead? will we get new music from JA/related peo

#2 Post by kv » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:48 pm

I think most people here would disagree on your take of pfp...I don't think it missed on much (at least the first record didn't for me) Most here also love pfp, ggu and decon.

As for music dying...I can't agree there either... I'd say look harder..But you don't really have to look hard to find anything now...And the popular argument of "the kids like (insert band here) and I don't" just comes off short sighted....You could insert Creed and nickleback for the ninties...a thousand shitty bands live in each decade.... Popular music is just that... I've as far as radio has gone primarily listened to the same radio station for 35 years...College radio...Is all of it good? Nope...Never has been ALL good...Have to filter for taste....If you are older I would bet back in the day you spent a shit ton more time finding music and got turned onto stuff by friends more often than you do today....Stop looking for the top of the charts...That's gonna mostly be dinosaur studio financed garbage...Go to your college stations, Bandcamp, soundcloud and the like...Find good radio station streams...Put in the work...Reap what you sow

As for Jane's? She's been dead since 91 :noclue: she is ironicly enough just the prostitute being used for money like it all started off as. Sad but true.

creep
Site Admin

#3 Post by creep » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:54 pm

janesbiggestfan wrote: Fuck Dave has aged so badly last couple of years... he used to be literally god-mode stylings and choices but lately I can't look at him... I know his perspective is different for having fucked propably more than a thousand attractive 20 year old chics over the decades... he probably feels he lived life and can let it go but still...
While i do agree that Dave's style choice isn't the best he looks great for a 50 year old. Wait till you get that old.

Larry B.

#4 Post by Larry B. » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:44 pm

Best new music: Animal Collective, Beach House, Fleet Foxes.

farrellgirl99

#5 Post by farrellgirl99 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:01 pm

Larry B. wrote:Best new music: Animal Collective, Beach House, Fleet Foxes.
i wouldnt call those bands new. i also dont like any of them.

i do like rae stremmond's "no type" though. thats all i have to say.

kv

#6 Post by kv » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:09 pm

farrellgirl99 wrote:
i wouldnt call those bands new. i also dont like any of them.
I agree X 2

Also agree with creep....Most of my pretty boy friends look like shit now and Dave has most of them by a few years

guysmiley

#7 Post by guysmiley » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:10 pm

Jane's is dead. I think even Dave said there probably wouldn't be new stuff. And the picture title is right. Late Chilis era (overlaps Relapse era) The guitar is a Modulus. A copy but not a cheap copy. Graphite neck.

Edit* I could be wrong. That actually might be a Fender Strat. He played both.

JOEinPHX

#8 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:09 pm

janesbiggestfan wrote:Just to start off, where is this picture from and what period is this? What is the guitar that dave is playing? the title says "chilli" but it looks like more or less relapse era... however the guitar is like an ugly stratocaster copy...
It's this guitar:

and the title that goes with that photo is:

So yeah, RHCP years.
Fuck Dave has aged so badly last couple of years... he used to be literally god-mode stylings and choices but lately I can't look at him... I know his perspective is different for having fucked propably more than a thousand attractive 20 year old chics over the decades... he probably feels he lived life and can let it go but still...
His style changes all the time. I doubt he's letting anything go as much as just trying to be comfortable with who he is right now. Next year he could be wearing bright green tailored suits. who knows.
Ok and now to the point... don't necessarily want to flood the board with new useless topics since a similar thread (any new music in 2017?) has been discussed... but there is a certain element here that I was thinking about...

Namely: for all the times that the hopes of fans were crushed, for all the times that we expected greatness and triuphant return and received shit instead or at least semi-finished products that lacked that ultimate stroke of genius (decon, p4p, TNO, SYTBS etc) i genuinely think that this time is different... I think that the next 3 years are literally the last moment for Jane's related people to do anything remotely valuable one last time...
They won't. We're getting scraps now. Just stuff to fulfill contracts (Re-releases and live albums/DVDs.) They're done unless they decide to throw us another "Another Soulmate" at some point, or unless Etty gets cancer and Perry forces the band to record an EP of songs about her to pay medical bills.
I know that after NINJA people said "ok its done"... after the Reznor sessions came to nothing... that the hopes were destroyed... but now really... This is diffent... Perry will be fucking 60 in 2019 :( I know many gave up hope for anything valuable from them but I believe that if they don't put out anything good in the next 3 years we are seeing the end of jane's addiction forever... I don't see them touring farther into Perry's 60s with his shot voice... In order to carry on they would have to present new music... Like Bowe did, and all the others who had longevity... reinventing themselves... creating... not milking the dead teet of 2 albums from 25 years back.
Yeah, it's done.

As a side note: Is music finally really dead?
No.
I know younger people respond to this question with the usual frustration and say "there is tons of great shit around, you just don't know it"
And there is.
but I've made a specific effort to listen to new sucessful and less sucessful music from new bands in 2016 and what is popular now is just horrid.
So don't listen to popular music. If you're looking at charts or turning on the radio, you're going about it all wrong.
I think the intenet finally destroyed music. One of the most popular things right now among younger people, i.e. 10-15 years younger than me (I'm 32) is rae sremmurd... it is just atrocious... i cant find words... this music is vile... I cant see it being anything else than a big fuck you to the world like "we will listen to this nails on the board shit and what are you gonna do about it?"
The internet didn't destroy music, Clear Channel just destroyed the channel (radio) in which you used to discover great new artists. They took away the disc jockeys who were music fans and would comb through records looking for gold to turn people onto, and replaced them with computers that play the same 30 songs in every city across the nation, in order to make sure the ticket sales arm of their company can pack the venues that they also own when those 30 artists roll through town.

And yet the first thing you did, instead of using the internet to plug in the artists you like to find current artists with the same influences, you went right to what Clear Channel is pushing?

Finding great music doesn't take a lot of time or effort. Pandora...Spotify...Apple Music... all give you the ability to launch a radio station that plays mixes of new and old songs in genres you like. As you rate the songs, it will play you more and more than fits your tastes. Put some effort into it. It's better this way.

You may find a single song you like, or maybe it leads you to find a whole new artist. But it's up to you to stop spinning the old records, and stop going back to commercial radio to feed you what you like. Go find it. Go let the internet help you help yourself.

JOEinPHX

#9 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:13 pm

I'll agree on Beach House. I like Beach House.

guysmiley

#10 Post by guysmiley » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:07 am

Well, seems it's a Fender. Close but wrong guitar 6767. Think it's this one. Not many pictures of it on the web anymore.

Bandit72

#11 Post by Bandit72 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:36 am

As long as Faith No More have another album in them on par with Sol Invictus then I don't give a fuck about Jane's Addiciton 2017

Hype

#12 Post by Hype » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:02 am

No. Music isn't dead. We're dying, though, and some of the things we lived with are dead or dying too.

Here's a song that's been driving me insane recently. To me, this is a living version of what Jane's embodied at its best (folk-rock-punk-pop-alt-queer insanity):

:nod:

They even self-consciously nod to the nostalgia problem:

dannyboy

#13 Post by dannyboy » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:09 am

janesbiggestfan wrote:Just to start off, where is this picture from and what period is this? What is the guitar that dave is playing? the title says "chilli" but it looks like more or less relapse era... however the guitar is like an ugly stratocaster copy... Fuck Dave has aged so badly last couple of years... he used to be literally god-mode stylings and choices but lately I can't look at him... I know his perspective is different for having fucked propably more than a thousand attractive 20 year old chics over the decades... he probably feels he lived life and can let it go but still...

"
Yeah! Lay off the big macs Dave, you fat knacker!

Artemis

#14 Post by Artemis » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:56 pm

I find great new music all the time. It's easy for me because I like variety and am willing to give new artists a go. Soemtimes I find duds but other times I'm pleasantly surprised. I will always have my favourites to return to and remind myself why I stuck with them for so long. There's always room for one more in the listening rotation, imho.

Bandit72

#15 Post by Bandit72 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:40 am

Artemis wrote:I find great new music all the time. It's easy for me because I like variety and am willing to give new artists a go. Soemtimes I find duds but other times I'm pleasantly surprised. I will always have my favourites to return to and remind myself why I stuck with them for so long. There's always room for one more in the listening rotation, imho.
This ^^

Spotify is great for this.

janesbiggestfan

#16 Post by janesbiggestfan » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:00 am

Re: the guitar - i found it, it's a Modulus graphite neck strat copy. It can be seen in a couple of shots in the Coffee Shop video (btw: after the Peppers uploaded the OHM era videos to their official youtube channel, the 2000s era fans are having a curious experience of discovering this side of the band, it's really worth it to go through the comments section)

Thanks for your input. I'm not a regular contributor in any way but I keep coming to Jane's boards because nothing ever hit me in my life like listening to Nothing Shocking for the first time in the spring of 2000. I actually still remember that day like it was yesterday.
I remember the bus ride to the record store, selecting the CD from huge racks locked with a special padlock. I remember sitting in my room with the windows opened, wind was blowing, I remember the first time I heard Ocean Size, chills on my back. It was barely more than half a year after I really got into music in general, on the wave of 1999's constant rotation of Scar Tissue in the TV and radio. That was my short way to Jane's: Scar Tissue - Californiacaton - BSSM - Mother's Milk - One Hot Minute - Jane's Addiction. I sent years destroying subsequent copies of the first three original CDs and dreaming of future Jane's songs and albums.

So... concluding from your responses, it really is about being 15 years old and being in the right time and place to be blown away by something so completely... This makes me sad, because I actually heard all bands listed in this topic other than Power Bottom but they are nowhere near what I'm looking for. Maybe it is futile to seek that same excitement as I had with Jane's 17 years ago. But I guess that is the reason why we keep coming here and keep bothering after all. For me it's just been 17 years but judging from some people being JA 1.0 OG fans, this obsession in many cases lasted for over 30 years.

One beautiful piece of music that I found through spotify, is this little Spanish singer songwriter

Pillar Girl

#17 Post by Pillar Girl » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:35 am

New music is very alive as others have mentioned, we sometimes become a prisoner of the moment and then our outlook for anything that reverberated as JA isn't the same, as an artist/musician myself, always keep searching, keep your ears and eyes open, there are many talented artists out there doing their thang. :rockon:

Last few years I've enjoyed such bands as Inlakesh, The Crystal Method, Thievery Corporation, Infected Mushroom & Shpongle to name a few.

enjoy if you dig~

shpongle

Inlakesh

Crystal Method

Thievery Corporation

nausearockpig

#18 Post by nausearockpig » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:14 am

Hey PG, you're still around! Cool!

Hokahey
Site Admin

#19 Post by Hokahey » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:15 am

janesbiggestfan wrote:Maybe it is futile to seek that same excitement as I had with Jane's 17 years ago.
It most certainly is.

Nothing will ever affect you the way something did at 15 years old. The impact that that album had on you could never be replicated because you'll never be who you were at 15 again, and your mind can never be blown the same way twice.

Think about it like relationships. No two are ever alike, and you'll never fall in love the same way twice.

Music is comparable.

I've stopped looking for the next Jane's, and in turn have found things that have impacted me in way Jane's never did and never could.

For instance - Frank Ocean's Channel Orange was the soundtrack to a really crazy time in my life. The Fall and Winter I was listening to that album shaped so much of what my life was to become. Totally different music style. Totally different artist. But in the moment, it all made so much sense to me.

For me, I fall in love with albums the same way I fall in love with women. Something just clicks. And while I'll never have with someone new what I had with my first teenage crush, it's on a completely different plane. Both have their pros/cons, but I'm just glad to be having that new experience. I want as many of them as possible until I die.

Point being - stop trying to feel the same thing again and get some new feels.

Hype

#20 Post by Hype » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:10 am

janesbiggestfan wrote:One beautiful piece of music that I found through spotify, is this little Spanish singer songwriter
She sounds like Siouxsie Sioux covering a Lorde track. :confused:

nashtheslash

#21 Post by nashtheslash » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:51 pm

Today's music sucks . seems like dance and rap music is all thats left. bad poetry by people who can't sing.

erotic cheeses

#22 Post by erotic cheeses » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:03 pm

Bandit72 wrote:As long as Faith No More have another album in them on par with Sol Invictus then I don't give a fuck about Jane's Addiciton 2017
True dat

Hype

#23 Post by Hype » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:16 pm

nashtheslash wrote:Today's music sucks . seems like dance and rap music is all thats left. bad poetry by people who can't sing.
Who are you? Bob Seger? Jeez...

Pandemonium

#24 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:05 pm

Hokahey wrote: (Snip)

For me, I fall in love with albums the same way I fall in love with women. Something just clicks. And while I'll never have with someone new what I had with my first teenage crush, it's on a completely different plane. Both have their pros/cons, but I'm just glad to be having that new experience. I want as many of them as possible until I die.

Point being - stop trying to feel the same thing again and get some new feels.
Well said. I'm at the 40 year mark seeing live bands and last year seeing Savages for the first time, I got that same thrill I got in years past seeing many of my favorite bands for the first time. Great bands making great music are out there.

JOEinPHX

#25 Post by JOEinPHX » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:57 am

nashtheslash wrote:Today's music sucks . seems like dance and rap music is all thats left.
If it seems that way, it's because you're listening to stations that only play dance and rap.

Listen to something else. It's not hard.