Is music dead? will we get new music from JA/related people

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
JOEinPHX

Re: Is music dead? will we get new music from JA/related peo

#141 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:44 pm

wally wrote:is that a Perry Farrell's Satellite Party book on the coffee table?

YES! :lol:

kv

#142 Post by kv » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:03 pm

wally wrote:he looks like he's on his phone. probably texting etty.
is that a Perry Farrell's Satellite Party book on the coffee table?
Etty took the pic...Didn't you notice how she perfectly framed her poor me leg into the bottom edge of the photo?

kv

#143 Post by kv » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:05 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:
Hype wrote: SNIP
I only skimmed that because it was so damn long, but what I got from it was basically "I only listen to new music that sounds really old because my ears were conditioned to enjoy it back when music sounded like that"

I'm so glad I have grown up in the decades where recording techniques have improved. I don't have to listen to lo-Fi garage bullshit like The Strokes so I can make some lame comment like "Now THIS is the good stuff"
:crazy:

JOEinPHX

#144 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:20 pm

kv wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:
I only skimmed that because it was so damn long, but what I got from it was basically "I only listen to new music that sounds really old because my ears were conditioned to enjoy it back when music sounded like that"

I'm so glad I have grown up in the decades where recording techniques have improved. I don't have to listen to lo-Fi garage bullshit like The Strokes so I can make some lame comment like "Now THIS is the good stuff"

He literally said the only new music he likes is: The White Stripes, The Strokes, and The Black Keys.

:noclue:

Hype

#145 Post by Hype » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:46 am

Six7Six7 wrote:
kv wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:

He literally said the only new music he likes is: The White Stripes, The Strokes, and The Black Keys.

That was kind of the point of the article. The suggestion is that it's not normal for old people (people over 30) to be heavily invested in new music, and he tries to explain why.
Most of us stop responding to new music because we know better. You can read that sentence and its last word any way you want; it’s still going to apply. But even if we don’t know better, per se, we still know just as good, and so we know enough to understand that it’s been done before, whatever this is we’re listening to. All of which is another way of saying: you lose your virginity only once.

This is only compounded by another factor, and it’s something I’ve never seen or heard mentioned in any discussion of this topic. It has to do with the callowness (perceived and real) of musicians younger than ourselves. As something that by its very nature appeals to our emotions, music requires that we be emotionally engaged. This can be a very difficult thing to achieve on behalf of someone who hasn’t endured as much of the world as we have.

Music requires that its consumer not just appreciate adroit execution but take ownership of a sensibility
That seems about right. My mom, e.g., "likes" the White Stripes (who aren't even new music, at this point. Their heyday is as far away from now as Bauhaus's heyday was from the year 2000), but she's not invested in them as a "sensibility" (which Jack White clearly spent a great deal of effort cultivating), and could take or leave them. Basically, they sound a lot like Led Zeppelin, so they're neat. But the songs don't have the same emotional connection as, say, In Through The Out Door. And why should they? It would be weird if they did.

JOEinPHX

#146 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:22 am

Hype wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:
kv wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:

That was kind of the point of the article. The suggestion is that it's not normal for old people (people over 30) to be heavily invested in new music, and he tries to explain why.
I think it's not normal to write off music just because it doesn't sound EXACTLY like what you grew up on. He should write a different article called "I'm old and afraid of change"

Hype

#147 Post by Hype » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:58 pm

I'm pretty sure we covered that 10 pages ago. This article offers a much more interesting explanation for why most people don't chase music the way they did in their teens and twenties -- one that I think is at least partially right, and I think it's a good thing most people aren't lifestyle-chasers into middle-age. It starts to look pathetic. Liking some new music is, of course, not the same as spending the same amount of time as you did in your youth tying your identity to some band or other.

Of course, "The Panic Channel" was obviously different. :lolol:

kv

#148 Post by kv » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:02 pm

:lol: /endthread

JOEinPHX

#149 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:09 pm

Hype wrote:I'm pretty sure we covered that 10 pages ago. This article offers a much more interesting explanation for why most people don't chase music the way they did in their teens and twenties -- one that I think is at least partially right, and I think it's a good thing most people aren't lifestyle-chasers into middle-age. It starts to look pathetic. Liking some new music is, of course, not the same as spending the same amount of time as you did in your youth tying your identity to some band or other.

Of course, "The Panic Channel" was obviously different. :lolol:
How does it feel to invalidate your entire point by ending it with an insult?

SR

#150 Post by SR » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:18 pm

It doesn't. Nor does your incessant use of the word cunt as finishing punctuation in your favorite thread. That says something else. :lol:

JOEinPHX

#151 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:12 pm

SR wrote:It doesn't. Nor does your incessant use of the word cunt as finishing punctuation in your favorite thread. That says something else. :lol:
I only use the word cunt when someone is being a cunt.

He brought up the totally irrelevant Panic Channel (as a band and to this thread) as some kind of dig, as if that somehow represents the only new music I would consider listening to.

I roll my eyes at that. Very hard. :eyes:

kv

#152 Post by kv » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:25 pm

No, you started arguing tastes...Then yours came into play

JOEinPHX

#153 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:06 pm

kv wrote:No, you started arguing tastes...Then yours came into play

1. No, I am arguing that the guy who wrote the article is closed-minded and won't put in the effort to actually listen to anything new because he doesn't actually want to.

And

2. The Panic Channel hasn't done shit since 2005. 12 years. I have discovered 100 new bands since then that I like. The fact that is your only frame of reference for bands you think I listen to is as lame as the writer of the article only listening to The Black Keys because it sounds like it was recorded in the 70s. It's 2017, time to play catch up a tad. You have the old information. It's been updated several times since you stopped paying attention. :wave:

JOEinPHX

#154 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:08 pm

I just realized I shouldn't be surprised that you're talking about what I listened to in 2005 on the message board where you all still talk about Jane's Addiction bootleg cassette tapes you listen to from 1989. :lol:

As you were, old folks. :tiphat:

kv

#155 Post by kv » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:15 pm

Same to you kettle

Hype

#156 Post by Hype » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:26 pm

Man, I didn't mean that to be a huge insult... it just seemed like a good example of what the guy in the article was talking about -- there's just something that seems not quite right about adults continuing to chase bands and make them part of their identities well after this should have already been figured out. This is different from continuing to listen to new music and try it out, and it's even different from continuing to idolize the music of your formative years. There's a reason why 85 year olds liked Elvis, but didn't like Donny Osmond or Justin Bieber, and it isn't that any of these are objectively better or worse, it's just how pop music works. There would be something really strange about a person who went through Beatlemania then obsessing about the Spice Girls 30 years later.

Again, the article doesn't suggest people can't find new music they like. But it does give, I still say, a pretty good account of why it's reasonable to stop putting in as much effort to find music to love as we did in our teens and early 20s. This says nothing at all about the actual quality of music today, or music 20 years ago, or music 40 years ago. That is irrelevant. We all agree that there is good music all the time, everywhere, if you look. But it doesn't follow that everyone should always be looking.

Juana

#157 Post by Juana » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:58 pm

creep wrote:Perry is doing something with Chris and that Foo Fighters guy. It does look like Perry is reading lyrics so it's probably just some cover for some benefit. :noclue:

I just don't get how that LP Custom back there really isn't that nice of a Custom, Etty really is breaking this man. Also Taylor has a bunch of other stuff he works on when not being the second best drummer in the Foo Fighters so this might have something to do with one of those projects.

bman

#158 Post by bman » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:08 am

I think that photo was from a Royal Machines practice. They played in Vegas last night.

DanCleary‏ @dancleary79 6h
6 hours ago

More
I don't want this to be a backhanded compliment, but Perry Farrell sang better tonight than he has in awhile. Really impressed!

bman

#159 Post by bman » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:57 pm

I forgot, there were some pretty good TGEA tour shows. Man I can't believe that tour was already 5 years ago!

3 days
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLFdWMswGpg

Classic Girl
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyFyx0kJQyo

Ocean
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOiH4IqnMSc

bman

#160 Post by bman » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:59 pm

ever hear this Butthole Surfers Ocean size remix?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDyRtQ7MZRA

wally

#161 Post by wally » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:34 pm

bman wrote:ever hear this Butthole Surfers Ocean size remix?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDyRtQ7MZRA
no, but that led me to this, which was pretty awesome, even though to me sally field = gidget.

Mescal

#162 Post by Mescal » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:26 pm

This ain't so bad.

That Idiot's Rule is pretty good.