Breakin away

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Smilefromthestreets

Re: Breakin away

#41 Post by Smilefromthestreets » Thu May 25, 2017 11:43 am

Hype wrote:Daft Punk are old. The Weeknd, though, basically just is Michael Jackson, the way Bruno Mars basically just is Prince. Meh.

Speaking of new music that totally rips off old music, I've been really pissed off by this song that everyone seems to love:

It just *is* Murder She Wrote. In fact, I was at a wedding the other day and the DJ mashed the two songs together perfectly. It was great. But man what is the point of perfectly copying a song like that?
I've never heard either of those songs before, but have you never heard of sampling?

Hype

#42 Post by Hype » Thu May 25, 2017 11:51 am

Smilefromthestreets wrote:
Hype wrote:Daft Punk are old. The Weeknd, though, basically just is Michael Jackson, the way Bruno Mars basically just is Prince. Meh.

Speaking of new music that totally rips off old music, I've been really pissed off by this song that everyone seems to love:

It just *is* Murder She Wrote. In fact, I was at a wedding the other day and the DJ mashed the two songs together perfectly. It was great. But man what is the point of perfectly copying a song like that?
I've never heard either of those songs before, but have you never heard of sampling?
That's not what that is. I just looked it up and the writers of Murder She Wrote are given credit on the Pitbull track, so I guess it's just a cover with re-written lyrics.

This is a sample of Murder She Wrote:

Pandemonium

#43 Post by Pandemonium » Thu May 25, 2017 12:35 pm

Larry B. wrote:I think this song was released last year and that it was a hit, but I only listened to it on the radio as I was traveling in a Uber the other day.

It immediately caught my ear because it's basically a Michael Jackson. I'm stunned, and I can't help but think this is what MJ should've been recording in his last years.

Anyway, here's a new band (I'm just guessing here) with a great new song.

I absolutely hate The Weeknd, Chainsmokers, 21 Pilots and their ilk.

Artemis

#44 Post by Artemis » Thu May 25, 2017 1:35 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
I like the Heavy Dirty Soul song by 21 Pilots.

Can you save
Can you save my
Can you save my heavy dirty soul?

Hype

#45 Post by Hype » Thu May 25, 2017 2:16 pm

I'm just glad banjo music isn't as popular as it was for the past 5 years.

kv

#46 Post by kv » Thu May 25, 2017 5:52 pm

Artemis wrote:
Pandemonium wrote:

Can you save
Can you save my
I'm gonna break
I'm gonna break my
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
:waits:

Artemis

#47 Post by Artemis » Thu May 25, 2017 6:42 pm

kv wrote:
Artemis wrote:
Pandemonium wrote:

Can you save
Can you save my
I'm gonna break
I'm gonna break my
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
:waits:

Hokahey
Site Admin

#48 Post by Hokahey » Thu May 25, 2017 6:49 pm

You will never have another experience like you did with Jane's. Find something different. Explore new genres, mediums, etc.

Krink

#49 Post by Krink » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:59 am

creep wrote:
I'm old and don't listen to music much these days but Faith No More has filled their spot with me. One of the rare bands that improves with age.

so you just sit around in the silence nowadays?

jesus....i mean most of you guys aren't much older than me and i always can find something to listen to :noclue:

creep
Site Admin

#50 Post by creep » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:25 pm

Krink wrote:
creep wrote:
I'm old and don't listen to music much these days but Faith No More has filled their spot with me. One of the rare bands that improves with age.

so you just sit around in the silence nowadays?

jesus....i mean most of you guys aren't much older than me and i always can find something to listen to :noclue:
Podcasts and Sirius/XM radio/talk shows have replaced music for me these days. :noclue:

Sorry

JOEinPHX

#51 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:21 pm

1980s: Stop with the traffic and weather updates and play some Mountain Song!
2010s: Sure can't wait to find out how the traffic and weather are today.

:lol:

CaseyContrarian

#52 Post by CaseyContrarian » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:14 pm

I've worked in the industry most of my life, which means I am constantly exposed to new music. Of course, at age 43, it gets more difficult to want to sort through the endless hype to find something worthwhile. But I always do. Right now I love the kosmische metal band Oranssi Pazuzu from Finland. I also enjoy The Black Angels, from Austin (I bet a lot of you would, too). And many others.

With pop music, it's helpful to have a seven year-old daughter. She plays me stuff that I otherwise wouldn't check out. To wit: I've become a legit fan of Carly Rae Jepsen. And my kid is a legit fan of the Pretenders and David Bowie. So we all win.

JOEinPHX

#53 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:44 pm

Love The Black Angels. Saw them several years ago, and have tickets to see them again in about a month.

But what does "working in the industry" mean?

Because I'd say there is a vast difference in the music you'd be exposed to working in a small (300-1000 seat) music venue than what you'd be exposed to if you work in a radio station that is only provided the latest singles by the top artists at the biggest music labels.

CaseyContrarian

#54 Post by CaseyContrarian » Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:11 pm

Well, I have been a musician and engineer the whole time, was the buyer for an indie store back in the day, the music editor for a big alt newsweekly, a music writer for many of the rags when they existed (and some of the online ones that still do), ran a national advocacy org for musicians at the federal policy level for a decade, and am now the director of music licensing for SiriusXM, I am writing two music books (the Burroughs / musicians one and a book on music copyright), and I teach the business at Berklee and Georgetown... it's a weird mix, but it has meant that music is always coming at me from all sides, even if I duck.

Larry B.

#55 Post by Larry B. » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:20 pm

creep wrote: Podcasts and Sirius/XM radio/talk shows have replaced music for me these days. :noclue:
Ricky Gervais has just released a pilot for a "new" radio show at Sirius XM.

Not sure if you know, but Ricky Gervais, Stephen Merchant and Karl Pilkington had a local radio show back in 2002 when The Office (UK) just broke, then they moved on to podcasting and held the World Guinness Records for the most downloaded podcast ever, and kept releasing podcasts until 2011. After that, and some TV projects with Merchant and Pilkington, Ricky stopped being funny (except when hosting the Golden Globes), they sort of fell out and are currently not doing anything together - in fact, Ricky pretty much refuses to acknowledge the other two at all.

Anyway, I listened to the first few minutes of the pilot and fucking hated it, but I thought I'd give you a heads up in case you're interested. Maybe it became funnier/more interesting as the show went on.

creep
Site Admin

#56 Post by creep » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:37 pm

Larry B. wrote:
creep wrote: Podcasts and Sirius/XM radio/talk shows have replaced music for me these days. :noclue:
Ricky Gervais has just released a pilot for a "new" radio show at Sirius XM.

Not sure if you know, but Ricky Gervais, Stephen Merchant and Karl Pilkington had a local radio show back in 2002 when The Office (UK) just broke, then they moved on to podcasting and held the World Guinness Records for the most downloaded podcast ever, and kept releasing podcasts until 2011. After that, and some TV projects with Merchant and Pilkington, Ricky stopped being funny (except when hosting the Golden Globes), they sort of fell out and are currently not doing anything together - in fact, Ricky pretty much refuses to acknowledge the other two at all.

Anyway, I listened to the first few minutes of the pilot and fucking hated it, but I thought I'd give you a heads up in case you're interested. Maybe it became funnier/more interesting as the show went on.

I couldn't make it much longer than a couple minutes too.

The David Brent movie was decent. :noclue:

Larry B.

#57 Post by Larry B. » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:49 pm

creep wrote: I couldn't make it much longer than a couple minutes too.

The David Brent movie was decent. :noclue:
I watched that a few months ago, didn't really like it. It was Gervais' "The Great Escape Artist" for me... I had to experience it, mostly for old times' sake, but I knew it'd be pretty fucking bad.

danhans

#58 Post by danhans » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:47 am

Protomartyr, Idles and priests are all pretty good.

S&M

#59 Post by S&M » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:28 am

I find new stuff all the time...But it doesn't have the Energy of the greats!!!…No Led Zeppelin's...No Sabbaths...Not even a fucking Abba?…Lots of bits and pieces no REAL MEAL DEAL?

tubro

#60 Post by tubro » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:59 am

"Make it new." -- Ezra Pound
Having said that, my guess is that there are quite a few older bands that you haven't yet explored deeply. Most of us here kept living for a JA experience at least thru 91, and to a large extent for the P4P years that followed, because reunion and new music seemed possible and because Perry was still the party president. But they hadn't written a new song in many years. The point being that of course it's important to support and explore new music, and one hopes you find one that can give you the sort of experience that JA gave us during v1, new bands, particularly because so many of them blow, aren't the be all and end all.

This week i'm digging into Bob Dylan's The Cutting Edge 18 cd set. Every studio take of every song on Freewheelin', Blonde on Blonde and Highway 61. it's astounding. When i'm done i'll do something else. It's over 50 years old and it's more relevant and fresh than anything I've heard in a decade.

CaseyContrarian

#61 Post by CaseyContrarian » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:50 am

danhans wrote:Protomartyr, Idles and priests are all pretty good.
A friend and former employee of mine records Priests.