Jane's is live right now

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
JOEinPHX

Re: Jane's is live right now

#41 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:28 pm

MicrowavedGerbil wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:Things I have learned from MicrowavedGerbil:

1. We don't know how to properly post on message boards.

2. Dave Navarro can't play guitar.
When did I say he can't play?
SNIP
MicrowavedGerbil wrote:he isn't very good at improvising his solos live.
:cool:

JOEinPHX

#42 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:28 pm

MicrowavedGerbil wrote:Things I've learned from six7six7: opinionated material hurts your little bottom.
I agree. You're very opinionated.

MicrowavedGerbil

#43 Post by MicrowavedGerbil » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:12 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:
MicrowavedGerbil wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:Things I have learned from MicrowavedGerbil:

1. We don't know how to properly post on message boards.

2. Dave Navarro can't play guitar.
When did I say he can't play?
SNIP
MicrowavedGerbil wrote:he isn't very good at improvising his solos live.
:cool:
So criticizing someone on a single aspect of their playing is the same as dismissing their talent as a whole?
:hs:

MicrowavedGerbil

#44 Post by MicrowavedGerbil » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:19 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:
MicrowavedGerbil wrote:Things I've learned from six7six7: opinionated material hurts your little bottom.
I'm not. It just feels like you're making me out to be so I'll play your game. it's just easy to grind your gears.

MicrowavedGerbil

#45 Post by MicrowavedGerbil » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:39 pm

Noonesshocking wrote:Dave is great. I don't think the criticism of him ITT is warranted. A.) He contributed plenty to writing in 1.0, even though a few songs were written before he joined. B.) He can fucking play. This is good improv from him imo. He hits a bum notes at one point but plays it off well, like a GOOD player knows how to do.

That said, he does have a bag of tricks. You can usually pick out certain licks and runs that he busts out. Something descending ala whores or something out of the pentatonic box reminiscent of three days. Can't tell if it's mixolydian or Dorian. Steve has certain beats that are in his bag of tricks here. Namely the superhero type groove.

See, I just honestly don't think it flows naturally..it feels so artificial.. Forced and uneducated. I in no means want to bash in this dude, he is my guitar hero but honestly I'd rather, myself listen to his studio work.. I showed my instructor at valley collage a clip of Dave soloing been caught stealing live on the later with jools Holland video, he agreed and stated that Dave, though he is familiar with his pentatonic and C minor\Eb , he doesnt present it properly. How can that be? He told me, if you can't utilize them basically, you don't understand it well enough.

Mescal

#46 Post by Mescal » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:41 pm

creep wrote:
Larry B. wrote:
Bandit72 wrote:
For the love of Krishna, do not click on that video and go to 17:30, when Perry messes up the entrance and rhythm of his lyrics on the beginning of Ain't No Right.
Or to 55:25 when he misses his cue to come in during Whores.
So you actually watched the whole thing?

Stickyfingers

#47 Post by Stickyfingers » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:51 pm

Chris Chaney's attempt to looks, move and act onstage like Eric is remarkable.

MicrowavedGerbil

#48 Post by MicrowavedGerbil » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:53 pm

Mescal wrote:
creep wrote:
Larry B. wrote:
Bandit72 wrote:
For the love of Krishna, do not click on that video and go to 17:30, when Perry messes up the entrance and rhythm of his lyrics on the beginning of Ain't No Right.
You know when you watch live videos and sing along in your head and it throws you off when the vocalist doesn't hit the note correctly? Perry fucking Farrell

Bandit72

#49 Post by Bandit72 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:34 am

Mescal wrote:
creep wrote:
Larry B. wrote:
Bandit72 wrote:
I got to the start of Just Because then stopped and watched the drum break for three days and the mistakes Larry and Creep pointed out. That's it.

Hype

#50 Post by Hype » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:08 am

MicrowavedGerbil wrote:I told you I can see the guitar thru his eyes. I believe me and him have a lot in common..we suck but we come up with some dope shit sometimes.
That's just because music isn't all about technique, knowledge of theory, skill, and proficiency. Obviously professional musicians need some level of those things, but good music is also about originality, creativity, and having your own voice. But, it's not just about that, either. Music has to resonate with someone else, for whatever reason. Dave is inconsistent in just about all those categories (who isn't?), but his highest peaks are really fucking high. There are moments where his guitar tone, the feeling in it, it's as good as B.B. King. But a lot of his output since Deconstruction has been down around the level of straightforward radio-rock studio-musician shit. The guy can play, but he can't write a song to save his life.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#51 Post by Hokahey » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:14 am

Well kids, we met our "is Dave REALLY a good guitar player?" thread quota for this year!

Next:

How did you get in to Janes

Then:

Rank the albums

Bandit72

#52 Post by Bandit72 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:47 am

Hokahey wrote:Next:

Then:

Rank the albums
:lol:

Larry B.

#53 Post by Larry B. » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:02 am

Bandit72 wrote:
Mescal wrote:
creep wrote:
Larry B. wrote:
Bandit72 wrote:
I got to the start of Just Because then stopped and watched the drum break for three days and the mistakes Larry and Creep pointed out. That's it.
I was going to click on the video randomly to see bits and pieces. My second click was on the mistake I pointed out, and then I stopped watching. No way I'm watching this.

JOEinPHX

#54 Post by JOEinPHX » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:37 am

MicrowavedGerbil wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:
I'm not. It just feels like you're making me out to be so I'll play your game. it's just easy to grind your gears.
Play my game?

You're the one who is making controversial statements just to get people talking, the thing that you criticized us for last week saying we were not doing.

It's obvious and silly. You're literally trying to troll on a board full of professional trolls.

"your game"... HILARIOUS. :eyes:

JOEinPHX

#55 Post by JOEinPHX » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:39 am

Hokahey wrote:Well kids, we met our "is Dave REALLY a good guitar player?" thread quota for this year!

Next:

Then:

Rank the albums
Then favorite 1987-1991 era bootleg,

Then favorite Perry stage rap.

MicrowavedGerbil

#56 Post by MicrowavedGerbil » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:54 am

Six7Six7 wrote:
MicrowavedGerbil wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:
Play my game?

You're the one who is making controversial statements just to get people talking, the thing that you criticized us for last week saying we were not doing.

It's obvious and silly. You're literally trying to troll on a board full of professional trolls.

We all agree that Dave sucks but doesn't suck.. And you're the one posting videos of him jamming and trying to change our minds on something that has already been established and agreed upon. you're the opinionated one..scroll up a few comment's.

JOEinPHX

#57 Post by JOEinPHX » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:00 pm

MicrowavedGerbil wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:
MicrowavedGerbil wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:
Play my game?

We all agree that Dave sucks but doesn't suck.. And you're the one posting videos of him jamming and trying to change our minds on something that has already been established and agreed upon. you're the opinionated one..scroll up a few comment's.
I scrolled back through all the comments and did not find a single one where I posted a video of him jamming trying to change your mind.

Link me to my comment where I did that?

MicrowavedGerbil

#58 Post by MicrowavedGerbil » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:01 pm

Hype wrote:
MicrowavedGerbil wrote:I told you I can see the guitar thru his eyes. I believe me and him have a lot in common..we suck but we come up with some dope shit sometimes.
That's just because music isn't all about technique, knowledge of theory, skill, and proficiency. Obviously professional musicians need some level of those things, but good music is also about originality, creativity, and having your own voice. But, it's not just about that, either. Music has to resonate with someone else, for whatever reason. Dave is inconsistent in just about all those categories (who isn't?), but his highest peaks are really fucking high. There are moments where his guitar tone, the feeling in it, it's as good as B.B. King. But a lot of his output since Deconstruction has been down around the level of straightforward radio-rock studio-musician shit. The guy can play, but he can't write a song to save his life.
And I agree with you 100%. That my point on Dave that I'm trying the get across.

MicrowavedGerbil

#59 Post by MicrowavedGerbil » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:30 pm

[/quote]I scrolled back through all the comments and did not find a single one where I posted a video of him jamming trying to change your mind.[/quote]

Least you tried :tiphat:

JOEinPHX

#60 Post by JOEinPHX » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:20 pm

Still waiting.

kv

#61 Post by kv » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:32 pm

stop fucking up the forums

kv

#62 Post by kv » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:36 pm

U made me laugh 6767...ANR header should totally be "a troll nursing home community"

JOEinPHX

#63 Post by JOEinPHX » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:36 pm

kv wrote:U made me laugh 6767...ANR header should totally be "a troll nursing home community"
I meant it in only the most positive of ways.

We're all incredibly bright and intelligent people. Arguing comes naturally.

To see someone think they are ruffling the feathers of birds who have long since picked them all off of each other is laughable.

kv

#64 Post by kv » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:12 pm

Indeed... although I bet I could still rile up hoka in a couple of posts :lol:

intertwoven

#65 Post by intertwoven » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:41 pm

Screw Jane's.. They need to reunite this band. Dave on guitar, Eric on drums, some other non-Perry dude on vocals/cowbell. They'd be HUGE!
Attachments
dave navarro practicing with old band.jpg
dave navarro practicing with old band.jpg (102.62 KiB) Viewed 7270 times