Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
creep
Site Admin

Jane's is live right now

#1 Post by creep » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:17 pm

kv

Re: Jane's is live right now

#2 Post by kv » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:31 pm

First minute of Ted..."aww my boys....good to see them...aww Jane's..." Minute two..."someone really needs to step up and put perry down.." old geezer is so fucking done...just listening to him trying to say violent a number of times makes me think of Johnny Knoxville as Bad Grandpa...someone give Gramps a seat on the rocking chair with etty...offstage...and let the boys rock...I'd literally rather watch Chaney mildly rock out than hear Gramps struggling, death rattle throat...and he knows it and is fucking with his knobs too much...the veneer is paper thin perry we all see the elderly man behind the curtain pretending to be the wizard

Too harsh? :drink:

Edit: ironicly my 6767th post :lolol: :lol:

creep
Site Admin

#3 Post by creep » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:39 pm

Yeah...rough night for Perry.

No energy whatsoever.

Jane's playing during the day at a festival at a fairgrounds. Sounds about right.

MicrowavedGerbil

#4 Post by MicrowavedGerbil » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:09 pm

Good luck. There a mega fight going on tonight. As much as I love Jane's they suck absolute donkey ass live. Perry has horrendously bad vocals..off key and always tries to improvise but fails miserably. Dave is Dave, he's great at writing but his improvised solos suck..always felt he sucked at shredding, he was just good at it in studio. Perkins is the only dude having a blast looking like the usual perk that he always has and will be...always smiling and having fun, always on spot.

I'd be embarrassed to recommend someone Jane's and them seeing them live was the way they'd hear em' for the first time. Its cringy as fuck even as a fan to watch.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#5 Post by Hokahey » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:14 am

What's bizarre is how often someone still brings up seeing Janes recently to me and loving it. It makes me really wish I could watch a show with amnesia and hear my opinion.

SR

#6 Post by SR » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:25 am

That's interesting. There is no one in my orbit that ever mentions JA. Granted that is limited to the elderly and the early 20's set, but zip on em.

I caught the middle to end of Stop and what I could bear of Just Because and it was flaccid from left to right/top to bottom. New optics: Dn was wearing a shirt....must be an AARP thing and Chaney thumped his heart a la Kevin Garnett.

The blond dancer has an unbelievably beautiful set of legs

Artemis

#7 Post by Artemis » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:24 am

I watched the last half...tuned in at Ted.

Perry's vocals were not good at all. I tried to give him the benefit of the doubt and blame the sound on the live feed transmission. The rest of the band sounded good though.

Perry's banter is beyond Dad jokes now, more like Gramps jokes. :lol:

The crowd seemed pretty lame. It was early though, like 6pmPST when JA went on.

bman

#8 Post by bman » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:44 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaq_93yzEr4

Hey, at least they played Had a Dad and Whores. Considering they probably warmed up for 10 minutes after taking a year off it wasn't that bad! But not very inspired either.

Matz

#9 Post by Matz » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:52 pm

yeah it's a far cry from Hammerstein Ballroom with all the down tuning and probably lower bpms here and there, but all things considered not that bad I think, weak link is clearly Perry. I like Dave's playing, guy has still got great chops.

panicparty

#10 Post by panicparty » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:55 am

Dave is Dave, he's great at writing
Really? Not sure that writing is his forte at all. They had to buy in that guy from TV in the Radio for the last Jane's album after Duff bailed, Ezrin had a few credits on Strays iirc, Panic Channel hardly set the world on fire, RHCP struggled with the writing with Dave (granted there was that "different way of doing things" that might have worked itself out if they'd done more than one album) and his solo record, while sounding okay is hardly up there in the "great songwriting" lists. Given that a lot of the classic Jane's material was written before Dave and Perk came on board, I'm struggling to see a lot of great writing in Dave's history.

I'd say he's a great technician on guitar, and has a decent sonic sense - he's good at adding textures to music, but actually writing material? Not so much. IMHO of course.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#11 Post by Hokahey » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:30 am

SR wrote:That's interesting. There is no one in my orbit that ever mentions JA. Granted that is limited to the elderly and the early 20's set, but zip on em.

I caught the middle to end of Stop and what I could bear of Just Because and it was flaccid from left to right/top to bottom. New optics: Dn was wearing a shirt....must be an AARP thing and Chaney thumped his heart a la Kevin Garnett.

The blond dancer has an unbelievably beautiful set of legs
This is more chatting with people about music, and if JA comes up they inevitably say something like "yeah I saw them at blah blah blah fest. I made it a point to see them because they're legends. It was awesome!" I never know how to respond to that without going down a rabbit hole they don't want to be dragged down. So I usually recommend checking out early shows on YouTube, back when they were "really really good."

bman

#12 Post by bman » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:33 pm

So a music teacher/musician friend of mine always says Navarro is the weak link! He says he's not that good and the shredding that he does is easily done by really good high school guitarists. I still think he's just jealous but he doesn't find Dave that impressive.

Matz

#13 Post by Matz » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:05 pm

:crazy:

tell your little friend that Rick Rubin once said, that Dave is the most talented guitar player he's ever worked with. That's better than winning a Grammy

JOEinPHX

#14 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:50 pm

kv wrote:First minute of Ted..."aww my boys....good to see them...aww Jane's..." Minute two..."someone really needs to step up and put perry down.." old geezer is so fucking done...just listening to him trying to say violent a number of times makes me think of Johnny Knoxville as Bad Grandpa...someone give Gramps a seat on the rocking chair with etty...offstage...and let the boys rock...I'd literally rather watch Chaney mildly rock out than hear Gramps struggling, death rattle throat...and he knows it and is fucking with his knobs too much...the veneer is paper thin perry we all see the elderly man behind the curtain pretending to be the wizard

Dude's voice is more suited to singing the mellow shit from the 2nd PFP record.

But he keeps trotting Jane's out for those big festival paydays because that's all Eric wants to do.

Juana

#15 Post by Juana » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:57 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:
kv wrote:First minute of Ted..."aww my boys....good to see them...aww Jane's..." Minute two..."someone really needs to step up and put perry down.." old geezer is so fucking done...just listening to him trying to say violent a number of times makes me think of Johnny Knoxville as Bad Grandpa...someone give Gramps a seat on the rocking chair with etty...offstage...and let the boys rock...I'd literally rather watch Chaney mildly rock out than hear Gramps struggling, death rattle throat...and he knows it and is fucking with his knobs too much...the veneer is paper thin perry we all see the elderly man behind the curtain pretending to be the wizard

Dude's voice is more suited to singing the mellow shit from the 2nd PFP record.

But he keeps trotting Jane's out for those big festival paydays because that's all Eric wants to do.
I agree with you Good God's Urge was great and I wish he would have went more that route. He and Peter making more of that would have been wonderful

bman

#16 Post by bman » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:18 pm

Matz wrote::crazy:

tell your little friend that Rick Rubin once said, that Dave is the most talented guitar player he's ever worked with. That's better than winning a Grammy

Hmnn. I don't know. Besides becoming famous b/c of Janes 1.0, (most of those guitar parts weren't written by Dave by the way), what exactly has Dave done that shows how incredibly talented he is at guitar? (besides decon)

JOEinPHX

#17 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:48 pm

bman wrote:
Matz wrote::crazy:

Hmnn. I don't know. Besides becoming famous b/c of Janes 1.0, (most of those guitar parts weren't written by Dave by the way), what exactly has Dave done that shows how incredibly talented he is at guitar? (besides decon)
Besides NS, RDLH, Decon, OHM, Spread, and TGEA...

Nothing.

Dude's not done anything other than 6 musically great records in his life.

I mean can you believe that shit? ZERO? Zero aside from 6 great ones?

WTF.

Zero except for the 6 great ones. What a hack.

MicrowavedGerbil

#18 Post by MicrowavedGerbil » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:21 pm

bman wrote:So a music teacher/musician friend of mine always says Navarro is the weak link! He says he's not that good and the shredding that he does is easily done by really good high school guitarists. I still think he's just jealous but he doesn't find Dave that impressive.

Honestly, he isn't that good. He has some insane riffs..but I mean as a guitarist myself.. I can see the guitar thru his eyes.. He can compose but he suckz at shredding. He's a studio musician..wouldn't count out that their producer helps whip out some riffs from the riff bank.

Larry B.

#19 Post by Larry B. » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:05 pm

He is/was a fantastic guitarist. He had a specific language, he had a signature sound, he rocked and he was subtle. He was everything Jane's needed and he was terrific for the RHCP.

If you think a guitarist isn't that good because "he sucks at shredding", then the factors you take into account to assess the level of a guitar player are extremely basic. You might be confusing speed for quality, for one thing.

Matz

#20 Post by Matz » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:29 pm

MicrowavedGerbil wrote: he suckz at shredding.
:davegoatee: :davegoatee: :davegoatee:

Very few guitar players could improvise on this level on the spot! Listen to how it flows, how perfectly played it is, how technically difficult some of it is and notice, that it's not just mindless scale'y nonsense up and down the neck. There's an actual "story" there. Ask a guy like Satriani or Slash to top this and they couldn't do it, certainly not on the spot like Dave does here, and perhaps not even if they had a day to do it.

And of course, if you think you can top it feel free to upload something. Should be easy for someone like you who thinks Dave sucks, right? Put your money where your mouth is :waits: :waits: :waits:

MicrowavedGerbil

#21 Post by MicrowavedGerbil » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:58 am

Matz wrote:
MicrowavedGerbil wrote: he suckz at shredding.
:davegoatee: :davegoatee: :davegoatee:

Very few guitar players could improvise on this level on the spot! Listen to how it flows, how perfectly played it is, how technically difficult some of it is and notice, that it's not just mindless scale'y nonsense up and down the neck. There's an actual "story" there. Ask a guy like Satriani or Slash to top this and they couldn't do it, certainly not on the spot like Dave does here, and perhaps not even if they had a day to do it.

And of course, if you think you can top it feel free to upload something. Should be easy for someone like you who thinks Dave sucks, right? Put your money where your mouth is :waits: :waits: :waits:

It's fast for sure, but these are just pentatonics played...well, fast. Its pretty basic and the improvising on this isn't as impressive because he is actually just running a blues lick in the same key..but again, really fast. He never really strays away from that blues scale.

Matz

#22 Post by Matz » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:24 am

he does stray actually, he uses the blues scale, the dorian mode and the mixolydian mode. It's an impressive electric guitar statement

I guess you must hate Voodoo Child as well, that's in E the whole way

Bandit72

#23 Post by Bandit72 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:09 am

Stephen's been posting some 30 second clips of him on Twitter. I'd much rather watch those to be honest.

Bandit72

#24 Post by Bandit72 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:28 am

Bandit72

#25 Post by Bandit72 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:42 am

I was in the crowd... unfortunately, live, the vocals weren't nearly as good and clear as they are on this recording. They are very good on this recording.
:conf: