i've always wondered...

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
jason

i've always wondered...

#1 Post by jason » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:09 pm

ok, i know this is in the wrong place...but i wanted you guys to see it, so here it sits. this is a link to a band that i told many of you here about years ago (we existed from 2010-2012)...needless to say, it ultimately didn't work out and we disbanded. now that i've had all this time to move away from it, i just went back and listened to it again and the problems are pretty obvious to me. this was a band that i formed to, in all honesty and truth, to sound EXACTLY like janes addiction. i had been in a band before this for years and we did a lot of stuff that i only dreamed that i would be able to do...BUT, we were not a very solid live band...the other members were not great musicians...so, after that band broke up, i longed for a project that felt powerful, musical, and at once powerful and beautiful...like janes. the band itself (me on guitar, and two good friends on bass and drums) was amazing...exactly what i wanted in every way....but finding a singer/frontman proved way harder than i could have imagined....he just didn't get what we were trying to do. he was a great guy personally, but never really gelled with us as a band. anywho, i put this up years ago here, but i would love to see what you guys would say about this now. give it a second and keep in mind...i was trying with all i could muster to make this stuff sound like janes, way too much honestly. there are things i still like, and things that make me cringe...lemme know whatcha think and be as honest as you wanna be. thanks peeps! link below

https://fountains.bandcamp.com/

creep
Site Admin

Re: i've always wondered...

#2 Post by creep » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:59 pm

It's not as bad as I thought it would be but I am definitely not a van of the vocals. The guy might be a decent singer but the what he was trying to do just didn't work for me. Musically it seemed good :noclue:

Now I will let KV tell you how much is sucks.

jason

#3 Post by jason » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:10 pm

thanks for the feedback man..lemme hear some more!! all yall listening to it..tell me what u think! good, bad or otherwise..i dont mind. its been over for a while, so have at it

kv

#4 Post by kv » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:26 pm

creep wrote:
:slap:

jason

#5 Post by jason » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:38 pm

kv wrote:
creep wrote:
:slap:
lemme have it!

kv

#6 Post by kv » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:01 pm

Nope, I've learned my lesson :bigrin:

jason

#7 Post by jason » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:24 pm

awwww come on...one of you guys has got to have a thought on this..throw it out here!

Pandemonium

#8 Post by Pandemonium » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:33 am

Good points are the songs are overall well-recorded and mixed although a bit more low end would have helped lift it out of a late 80' vibe.

Not so good points are primarily the singer as Creep mentioned. Totally bad fit for the music and piling on the echo on his vox especially on "She Said" wrecks the song. And way too much JA influence makes me as a listener think "is this a rip on Then She Did, Ocean Size, Summertime Rolls, etc." Long story short, band needed to dig deeper to find it's own voice. Typically, most unique, original bands are comprised of people that have wildly different tastes in music that somehow gel into something original sounding to some degree.

Mescal

#9 Post by Mescal » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:11 pm

Pandemonium wrote:Good points are the songs are overall well-recorded and mixed although a bit more low end would have helped lift it out of a late 80' vibe.

Not so good points are primarily the singer as Creep mentioned. Totally bad fit for the music and piling on the echo on his vox especially on "She Said" wrecks the song. And way too much JA influence makes me as a listener think "is this a rip on Then She Did, Ocean Size, Summertime Rolls, etc." Long story short, band needed to dig deeper to find it's own voice. Typically, most unique, original bands are comprised of people that have wildly different tastes in music that somehow gel into something original sounding to some degree.
I pretty much agree with Panda here.

Singer doesn't really fit the band and you Shouldn't try to sound like another band. You can incorporate your influences though.

First song sounds like a Mountain song rip off, but misses the pop quality and drags on for too long.

Second song sounded like then she did to me. Wasn't really a fan of the slow part, but I liked the 'heavy' part.

Haven't listened to the third song yet, will do tomorrow....

jason

#10 Post by jason » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:51 pm

Pandemonium wrote:Good points are the songs are overall well-recorded and mixed although a bit more low end would have helped lift it out of a late 80' vibe.

you guys are totally right...like i said, this project has been over for more than 5 years now. just wanted perspective from you guys who know the janes vibe so well. at the time, i wasnt trying to do much of anything except cature that janes vibe with a new band/project. you guys just seem to be confirming pretty much what i discovered after the demise of this band. thanks so much for the feedback, much appreciated. (and yeah, Lyre is a direct rip-off of mountain song..even the same chords! we just sped it up!) and Never Wake was definitely me trying to do Then She Did..

parklife03

#11 Post by parklife03 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:33 am

Amazing material, man. Cheers from Argentina and keep on rockin.

jason

#12 Post by jason » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:58 am

parklife03 wrote:Amazing material, man. Cheers from Argentina and keep on rockin.
thanks man.

jason

#13 Post by jason » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:31 am

still would like to hear what more of you guys think about this..its been listened to over a hundred times since i made this post..i know i keep sayin’ it, but i really wanna know what more of you think!

Bandit72

#14 Post by Bandit72 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:14 am

Obviously so much JA/Navarro influence here...not a bad thing, I just think it's too close. I also agree with the above about the singer. He's very Stuart Goddard/Pete Burns and doesn't fit at all.

dannyboy

#15 Post by dannyboy » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:48 pm

I like the singer.

Overall, I think this would have been a really good band if you weren't trying so hard to be like Jane's.

jason

#16 Post by jason » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:18 pm

yeah, i realize now that it was all me and my leaning towards Janes at the time..we did kinda move away from it a little towards the end (like i said, band ended in 2012). i thought that stuff was much better. but yeah, i thought of Janes at literally every step..if anyone would wanna hear the stuff we did at the end of it all, i could post that too

dannyboy

#17 Post by dannyboy » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:47 pm

jason wrote:yeah, i realize now that it was all me and my leaning towards Janes at the time..we did kinda move away from it a little towards the end (like i said, band ended in 2012). i thought that stuff was much better. but yeah, i thought of Janes at literally every step..if anyone would wanna hear the stuff we did at the end of it all, i could post that too
I understand. I've spent many evenings attempting to write an Eric Avery bass-line, only to eventually admit to myself that the final result was at best a poor mans attempt at JA.

I also spent a lot of time wishing that my band's could capture even just 10% of the magic Jane's had. Would def like to hear your later stuff!

Pandemonium

#18 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:23 pm

jason wrote:yeah, i realize now that it was all me and my leaning towards Janes at the time..we did kinda move away from it a little towards the end (like i said, band ended in 2012). i thought that stuff was much better. but yeah, i thought of Janes at literally every step..if anyone would wanna hear the stuff we did at the end of it all, i could post that too
Please post, it would be cool to hear whatever progression your band made.

jason

#19 Post by jason » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:40 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
im on it..will post tomorrow

panicparty

#20 Post by panicparty » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:37 am

I also spent a lot of time wishing that my band's could capture even just 10% of the magic Jane's had.
Don't beat yourself up about it - I wouldn't be surprised if there were 2-3 members of Jane's feeling that way the last few years..

Mescal

#21 Post by Mescal » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:38 am

You're singer indeed ain't bad. Just not a fit for your band.

Would be more fitted for a goth/new wave band rather than cock rock band.

jason

#22 Post by jason » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:29 pm

jason wrote:
Pandemonium wrote:
im on it..will post tomorrow
so, i just put this track up on the bandcamp page...it's totally unmastered, and unreleased...recorded completely live in our practice space/studio (though i DID go back and double the guitar track). there are 2 more songs in this batch if you guys care to hear 'em, just lemme know. i always did like these tracks more than the ones i told you guys about before. it's literally EXACTLY what we sounded like live and i always thought that was a pretty good thing. now lemme hear it, fire the critiques away...i can take it. link below.

https://fountains.bandcamp.com/track/the-light-2

jason

#23 Post by jason » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:20 pm

better or worse than the others??

Mescal

#24 Post by Mescal » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:31 am

I'd say worse.

I liked the guitar lead, but that's about it

dannyboy

#25 Post by dannyboy » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:58 am

I’ve always wah-wah-wah-wah-wondered.

Excuse me. I needed to get that out of my system. I preferred the later track, let’s hear the others!