Above Ground

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Matz

Re: Above Ground

#26 Post by Matz » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:58 pm

No, Johnny Navarro, Dave's cousin, the guy he did the Movies and crap columns with back in the day. Dan and Dave spoke about him when Dan was on the show and Dave had previously mentioned that he would be on soon, so it's a little strange, it hasn't happened

tvrec

#27 Post by tvrec » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:51 am

Price drop... email from Live Nation:

"Dave Navarro and Billy Morrison along with a group of special guests including Billy Idol, Courtney Love, Jesse Hughes, Corey Taylor & more come together to raise awareness and funds for the treatment of mental health benefiting MusiCares.

Select musicians will perform Kings of The Wild Frontier by Adam and The Ants and The Velvet Underground & Nico by The Velvet Underground in their entirety.

Tickets are now only $65!
(Plus Fees While Supplies Last)"

JOEinPHX

#28 Post by JOEinPHX » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:29 pm

They probably should have picked two albums that people like, instead of just two albums that they like.

I think the crowd is going to be sparse for this.

Pandemonium

#29 Post by Pandemonium » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:41 am

Six7Six7 wrote:They probably should have picked two albums that people like, instead of just two albums that they like.

It's just a really odd pairing of those particular two albums, imo. Further, both albums have a very unique and wildly different sound that I don't think this group of musicians will come close to doing justice regardless of their talent or commitment to the material.

kv

#30 Post by kv » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:19 pm

I love the album selections...but for a fund raiser it's a bad focus...

panicparty

#31 Post by panicparty » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:05 am

Pandemonium wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:They probably should have picked two albums that people like, instead of just two albums that they like.

It's just a really odd pairing of those particular two albums, imo. Further, both albums have a very unique and wildly different sound that I don't think this group of musicians will come close to doing justice regardless of their talent or commitment to the material.
I agree on the VU one, the musical sensibilities of the assembled old rockers / punks is pretty different from where VU were coming from - conversely I think they'll make a good first of KOTW - I've always thought Adam and the Ants weren't a million miles away from where Jane's hit: a band emerging from the underground (UK Punk in this case), keeping some of that altness, married to catchy tunes that the kids could hum, lyrics a shade or two darker than the "pop" charts usually see and with a charismatic frontman who can make the noise and bring a distinctive "look". The took it a lot poppier later, but KOTW while undeniably a "pop" album" still features scuzzy guitars and sleazy lyrics aplenty.

And specifically, there's a bit in Ants Invasion where Marco drives the whole thing over a cliff with a couple of power chords that subsequently reminds me of the "over the cliff" moment in Three Days - it doesn't sound anything like, but the feeling hits (me) similarly.

What I've never really got a handle on from here (UK) is how big that album / band are / were in the US - they were massive over here, but do people there recognise many Adam and the Ants songs? Were they big hits? Do they get much radio 35 years on?

bman

#32 Post by bman » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:22 pm

Please Dave, for the love of God, retire the suspension girls from the act.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FesTLvpej-0

creep
Site Admin

#33 Post by creep » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:16 pm

bman wrote:Please Dave, for the love of God, retire the suspension girls from the act.

I agree!!!

I guess he did it himself too...It's enough.

Should I know who that is singing?

JOEinPHX

#34 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:25 pm

creep wrote:
bman wrote:Please Dave, for the love of God, retire the suspension girls from the act.

Steve Isaacs from The Panic Channel.

It was a band Dave did back in 2005. You probably haven't heard of them.

creep
Site Admin

#35 Post by creep » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:34 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:
creep wrote:

Steve Isaacs from The Panic Channel.

It was a band Dave did back in 2005. You probably haven't heard of them.
:lol: oh...he looks different