Billy Corgan props to JA

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Pillar Girl

Billy Corgan props to JA

#1 Post by Pillar Girl » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:21 am

Got to see Jane's Addiction last night at the Metro. Still one of the best bands on the planet. Still kicking ass. Still being a-mazing.
http://twitter.com/Billy

i see he's still a big fan ~ he also promoted the last Jane's single on his twitter page, pretty cool.

~Pilla

Jasper

Re: Billy Corgan props to JA

#2 Post by Jasper » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:03 pm

Reminds me of that long discussion that ensued when 6767 claimed that JA had no influence on The Smashing Pumpkins. :lol:

AdmitI

#3 Post by AdmitI » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:21 pm

Rumor has it that JA and SP will tour together in early 2012..

Kajicat

#4 Post by Kajicat » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:25 pm

I like Corgan.

I like the Pumpkins.

It was nice to see Billy on that Rush documentary, Beyond the Lighted Stage (along with Chamberlain too).

Tyler Durden

#5 Post by Tyler Durden » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:43 pm

Of course Billy is going to give props to the current incarnation of Jane's Addiction; he tours with a bunch of nobodies under the name "The Smashing Pumpkins". :lol:

Essence_Smith

#6 Post by Essence_Smith » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:00 pm

Jasper wrote:Reminds me of that long discussion that ensued when 6767 claimed that JA had no influence on The Smashing Pumpkins. :lol:
Wow...are you serious? :lol:

JOEinPHX

#7 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:22 pm

Jasper wrote:Reminds me of that long discussion that ensued when 6767 claimed that JA had no influence on The Smashing Pumpkins. :lol:
i still don't hear it.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#8 Post by Hokahey » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:28 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:
i still don't hear it.
Wait, really?

I think Billy Corgan himself would laugh at that.

Tyler Durden

#9 Post by Tyler Durden » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:03 pm

hokahey wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:
i still don't hear it.
Wait, really?

I think Billy Corgan himself would laugh at that.
No kidding. Gish was at best a homage to Jane's and at worst, a rip-off.

JOEinPHX

#10 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:17 pm

Smashing Pumpkins always were more about the big wall of guitar, whereas Jane's relied more on the bass to drive the songs.

That's all i'll say about it though. If you guys hear Jane's Addiction, so be it.

Tyler Durden

#11 Post by Tyler Durden » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:23 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:Smashing Pumpkins always were more about the big wall of guitar, whereas Jane's relied more on the bass to drive the songs.

That's all i'll say about it though. If you guys hear Jane's Addiction, so be it.
I hear what you are saying...but on Gish, there are a few tracks that start with a rolling bass line similar to the Jane's/Eric style.

tool3521

#12 Post by tool3521 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:42 pm

Gish was a great cd. Never thought about who their influences were, but I can see Jane's as one of them. I would also think that some of the Seattle bands were influences as well.

Tyler Durden

#13 Post by Tyler Durden » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:52 pm

tool3521 wrote:Gish was a great cd. Never thought about who their influences were, but I can see Jane's as one of them. I would also think that some of the Seattle bands were influences as well.
For sure.

cabangbangq

#14 Post by cabangbangq » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:57 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:Smashing Pumpkins always were more about the big wall of guitar, whereas Jane's relied more on the bass to drive the songs.

I hear what you are saying...but on Gish, there are a few tracks that start with a rolling bass line similar to the Jane's/Eric style.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uF5amAzBuQ[/youtube]

Amen

Mescal

#15 Post by Mescal » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:10 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:

Indeed, what about the bass/drum intro to I am one. You could say that that song is bass driven.

NYRexall

#16 Post by NYRexall » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:59 am

Bald Bill's fanbase actually mirrors that of the Jane's community. You have a sizeable wide-range of fair weather fans who just want to hear the band of old crank out the same dirge they've been hearing for the last 15-20 years, and can't roll with any change in the band's format. Then you have this tight inner-circle of fans who can open their mind enough to go with the flow of his "need to grow and expand", and are just happy the guy (band) are still functioning on some level in the modern day.

His post-2000 output actually manages to be both different AND decent. And most of it he puts out for free in some form or another, too.

bman

#17 Post by bman » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:29 am

I saw the Pumkins about 12 times from 91-94. I saw them in 91 open for Pearl Jam and The Peppers. Still a great show. Ten and Gish and Blood Sugar were just released. Great days. Billy LOVED Janes and when he and James Iha saw Janes at The Metro he said this is what a LEd Zep show must have been like. He said OceanSize was the song that influenced him the most. The mixing of fast and slow music together. I used to love the Pumpkins but grew tired of them and Billy right after Melon Collie. He did right some incredibly sweet tunes though. And Yes, Janes was a HUGE influence on them. That's why the Pumkins were always my 2nd favorite band back then.

MYXYLPLYX

#18 Post by MYXYLPLYX » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:38 am

Jimmy Chamberlain told me that Jane's were a big influence on them, and Perk specifically on him (they are also good friends).

:noclue:

Pandemonium

#19 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:36 am

NYRexall wrote:His post-2000 output actually manages to be both different AND decent. And most of it he puts out for free in some form or another, too.
I would strongly disagree. And as I mentioned in another thread a few weeks ago, the current live show with the crappy arrangements of some older songs, his current band of scrubs (Chamberlain is a critical missing element) and the whole wrestling shtick is just terrible.

JOEinPHX

#20 Post by JOEinPHX » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:13 pm

Pandemonium wrote: and the whole wrestling shtick is just terrible.
This.

I am in the weird section of pumpkins fans that would rather hear Adore and Machina songs than the earlier or later stuff.

i think that entire section includes just me. haha

Tyler Durden

#21 Post by Tyler Durden » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:19 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:
Pandemonium wrote: and the whole wrestling shtick is just terrible.
This.

I am in the weird section of pumpkins fans that would rather hear Adore and Machina songs than the earlier or later stuff.

i think that entire section includes just me. haha
I'm more or less with you. I was into the Pumpkins since Gish and Adore is probably my favourite album by them. Machina is probably the weakest album of the original line-up...but it is a flawed masterpiece; it has some lows...but its highs are just as good as anything else they did on any other album.

drwintercreeper

#22 Post by drwintercreeper » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:19 pm

attribute most of this to the fact that i was 17 when machina came out, and certain albums come and guide us through certain times... blah blah blah.

machina will always be my favorite sp record. it was their last real record before the break up (machina II was leftovers so that only counts if you count pisces iscariot and i don't), and out of 15 songs and 70 minutes of music i can think of only 4-5 that i don't like but i at least respect those 5's different sounds, production and especially writing. wound and with every light kill me, as do the albums first 4, age of innocence, fuckin even machina the song for its gross overindulgence. it was a time and a place album for sure.

and i love their other output. drown is that band at its finest, mayonnaise and the last three or four on sd move me deeply. ah what used to be... i miss my early youth. what a blessing it was to have an older brother with great taste in music.

Tyler Durden

#23 Post by Tyler Durden » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:26 pm

drwintercreeper wrote:attribute most of this to the fact that i was 17 when machina came out, and certain albums come and guide us through certain times... blah blah blah.

machina will always be my favorite sp record. it was their last real record before the break up (machina II was leftovers so that only counts if you count pisces iscariot and i don't), and out of 15 songs and 70 minutes of music i can think of only 4-5 that i don't like but i at least respect those 5's different sounds, production and especially writing. wound and with every light kill me, as do the albums first 4, age of innocence, fuckin even machina the song for its gross overindulgence. it was a time and a place album for sure.

and i love their other output. drown is that band at its finest, mayonnaise and the last three or four on sd move me deeply. ah what used to be... i miss my early youth. what a blessing it was to have an older brother with great taste in music.
Machina has some absolute masterpieces on it. Especially "With Every Light", "The Imploding Voice", "Wound', "This Time", and "Stand Inside Your Love". Breathtakingly beautiful works of art.

Matov

#24 Post by Matov » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:51 pm

as with rhcp, pearl jam and one or two more bands i may be forgetting, i'm pretty much corgan's bitch. i do not enjoy his spiritual digressions, i do not enjoy his twitter scandals, and i do not enjoy his wrestling obsession. but he totally gets a pass from me.
i used to say the same about janes right up to the lip synching incident at terminal 5 (and after). that shit is just unacceptable :sad:

JOEinPHX

#25 Post by JOEinPHX » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:22 pm

Matov wrote:as with rhcp, pearl jam and one or two more bands i may be forgetting, i'm pretty much corgan's bitch. i do not enjoy his spiritual digressions, i do not enjoy his twitter scandals, and i do not enjoy his wrestling obsession. but he totally gets a pass from me.
i used to say the same about janes right up to the lip synching incident at terminal 5 (and after). that shit is just unacceptable :sad:

Apparently Perry stopped with the lip syncing. So now it's just the other 10 reasons we have to get past. haha