Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Artemis

Pearl Jam w/Perry do Mountain Song at Lolla Brasil 2018

#1 Post by Artemis » Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:33 pm

creep
Site Admin

Re: Pearl Jam w/Perry do Mountain Song at Lolla Brasil 2018

#2 Post by creep » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:32 pm

Their voices really don't go together too well. Perry actually sounded pretty good there. :noclue:

Noonesshocking

#3 Post by Noonesshocking » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:49 pm

Every time Perry sits in with a band to do a Jane's tune like Mountain, it's usually in the original key. And EVERY TIME, he sounds decent and certainly better than when he does them with JA. Perry was meant to sing Jane's songs in standard tuning, end of story. It really brings out the essence of the tune, and he sounds childlike which brings back some of that original vibe.

This is the second time he's done it with PJ. Check this out from 2009. Straight up old school Perry screech at 2:13 (I timestamped it).

panicparty

#4 Post by panicparty » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:20 am

The thing with the pitch is that Perry may well be able to deliver it for a one song guest slot at someone else's gig (and sound good doing it) - different matter trying to deliver a 10-12 song set, let alone doing it night after night.

I know there's things he should have done in the past to look after his voice better, and doubtless things he could be doing (or not doing) now that he doesn't (or does) but nevertheless, that's the reality, and with the best will in the world, the guy is getting old. Even if he had looked after his pipes better, he'd still not be able to bring the same voice he had in his twenties.

And I'm pretty sure (but too busy right now to go looking) that he's done Mountain with PJ more than the twice linked here, sure there was one maybe 3-5 years ago somewhere that made it onto 'Tube?

Noonesshocking

#5 Post by Noonesshocking » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:50 am

panicparty wrote:The thing with the pitch is that Perry may well be able to deliver it for a one song guest slot at someone else's gig (and sound good doing it) - different matter trying to deliver a 10-12 song set, let alone doing it night after night.

I know there's things he should have done in the past to look after his voice better, and doubtless things he could be doing (or not doing) now that he doesn't (or does) but nevertheless, that's the reality, and with the best will in the world, the guy is getting old. Even if he had looked after his pipes better, he'd still not be able to bring the same voice he had in his twenties.

And I'm pretty sure (but too busy right now to go looking) that he's done Mountain with PJ more than the twice linked here, sure there was one maybe 3-5 years ago somewhere that made it onto 'Tube?
Ok, but regardless of whether he can carry it for a full show or if he sounds like he does in his 20’s, he objectively sounds better when he Jane’s sings songs in their original key. That’s all I’m saying. And he’s only guested twice with PJ.

JOEinPHX

#6 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:06 am

Artemis wrote:
That would have been better without Perry.

And it annoys me that Etty was ever on Pearl Jam's stage.

At least they told him that she couldn't sing too. :lol:

Mescal

#7 Post by Mescal » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:19 pm

Still sounds meh.

Perry's voice is shot, whatever key he sings in.

Also, the crowd doesn't really seem to react when they start the song

Larry B.

#8 Post by Larry B. » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:50 pm

Mescal wrote:Still sounds meh.

Perry's voice is shot, whatever key he sings in.

Also, the crowd doesn't really seem to react when they start the song
That's because in Brazil nobody gives a shit about Jane's Addiction, nobody knows them at all. When I went to Sao Paulo to see Jane's Addiction reunited, Maquinaria Festival 2009 it must've been, the audience were at times shouting "Faith No More! Faith No More!" during Jane's set, because FNM were scheduled to play right after them. It was embarrassing. When Eric came out and the opening notes of Up The Beach began to sound, nobody cared apart from me.

They did enjoy Been Caught Stealing, though. For the first 15 seconds.

JOEinPHX

#9 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:00 pm

Larry B. wrote:

They did enjoy Been Caught Stealing, though. For the first 15 seconds.
When the dogs were barking and the keyboard player was going "pew! pew! pew!"?

Bandit72

#10 Post by Bandit72 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:01 am

Larry B. wrote:That's because in Brazil nobody gives a shit about Jane's Addiction, nobody knows them at all. When I went to Sao Paulo to see Jane's Addiction reunited, Maquinaria Festival 2009 it must've been, the audience were at times shouting "Faith No More! Faith No More!" during Jane's set, because FNM were scheduled to play right after them.
Patton should've sung the Jane's set as a warm up. That would've been mega.

tubro

#11 Post by tubro » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:36 pm

creep wrote:Their voices really don't go together too well. Perry actually sounded pretty good there. :noclue:
this.
Ed wasn't really singing in any sort of duet with Perry. he just seemed to love the song, know all the words, so he sang.
PJ played it like a song they grew up listening to really loud.
perry sounded very good and i know i would have been enjoying the fuck out of myself had i been there. perry guest spots can be all over the place. 'something in the air' and 'idiots rule' with moby's band some years back at a moveon.org event was great. never did see a recording of that but was at the show and had a blast. others, not so good.
this was good. but those teeth. jesus.