NME Awards - Ten Years On

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Noonesshocking

NME Awards - Ten Years On

#1 Post by Noonesshocking » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:24 pm

It was just around this time ten years ago that NME announced they were giving Jane's that godlike genius award. It didn't seem like that big of a deal initially and I certainly didn't think any member was going to show up, let alone the original lineup. I was shocked when Dave announced a few days later that he and Perk had made up with Perry and that they three of them would be attending. Still didn't think Eric joining in was a even a remote possibility at that point.

I vividly remember when Eric announced he was joining on his blog. It was surreal to watch him guest on Dave's talk show shortly thereafter (which was apparently taped before the blog announcement). Even though they sounded like absolute shit at the show (tuned a step and a half down), it was... really amazing to think there was possibly an unwritten future for those four guys together all of a sudden. Things were pretty great for the next year or so and then... well you know. But man, what a time. I'm so glad I got to experience it all.

Hokahey
Site Admin

Re: NME Awards - Ten Years On

#2 Post by Hokahey » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:11 pm

Christ, time flies. We should have known they'd completely fuck up their 2nd chance.

Noonesshocking

#3 Post by Noonesshocking » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:55 am

Hokahey wrote:Chris, time flies. We should have known they'd completely fuck up their 2nd chance.
I think we all knew deep down that it would flame out, but it was so mindblowing that it was happening that it was easy to get swept up in optimism. It's funny that between 2008 and 2012, a lot of their contemporaries reunited as well. Some of those were huge successes. Faith No More and Soundgarden are shining examples of how to play shows without new music, honor the legacy, respect the fans, and then actually go on to make new music that adds meaningfully to their discog. Jane's got through phase one pretty well and then it went to shit.

I think Eric and Marc Geiger conceptualized the reunion playing out like Soundgarden/FNM, but sadly the personal infrastructure based on mutual respect and maturity those bands had was not in place for Jane's and never was going to be.

JOEinPHX

#4 Post by JOEinPHX » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:26 pm

Fuckin' Perry :no:

Hokahey
Site Admin

#5 Post by Hokahey » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:29 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:Fuckin' Perry :no:
They're all idiots. Even if Perry is probably the biggest.

Ironically, he was once the coolest member.

panicparty

#6 Post by panicparty » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:55 am

It's funny that between 2008 and 2012, a lot of their contemporaries reunited as well.
Sort of funny, although the spate of bands with a long history of "we're never getting back together" getting back together within a year or two of a massive global financial crash is, imho, far from coincidental.

In a way I respected the way The Police did it, with little pretence that they'd suddenly become best buddies again and no pretence that there was going to be an ongoing re-invigoration, new music etc - it was just: we're doing a big, lucrative, one-off world tour and then that's it.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#7 Post by Hokahey » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:43 am

panicparty wrote:
It's funny that between 2008 and 2012, a lot of their contemporaries reunited as well.
Sort of funny, although the spate of bands with a long history of "we're never getting back together" getting back together within a year or two of a massive global financial crash is, imho, far from coincidental.

In a way I respected the way The Police did it, with little pretence that they'd suddenly become best buddies again and no pretence that there was going to be an ongoing re-invigoration, new music etc - it was just: we're doing a big, lucrative, one-off world tour and then that's it.
These are all really good points.

Juana

#8 Post by Juana » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:22 pm

Noonesshocking wrote:
Hokahey wrote:Chris, time flies. We should have known they'd completely fuck up their 2nd chance.
I think we all knew deep down that it would flame out, but it was so mindblowing that it was happening that it was easy to get swept up in optimism. It's funny that between 2008 and 2012, a lot of their contemporaries reunited as well. Some of those were huge successes. Faith No More and Soundgarden are shining examples of how to play shows without new music, honor the legacy, respect the fans, and then actually go on to make new music that adds meaningfully to their discog. Jane's got through phase one pretty well and then it went to shit.

I think Eric and Marc Geiger conceptualized the reunion playing out like Soundgarden/FNM, but sadly the personal infrastructure based on mutual respect and maturity those bands had was not in place for Jane's and never was going to be.
The Refused did the same, then later made new music but yeah

tubro

#9 Post by tubro » Thu May 03, 2018 8:17 pm

Hokahey wrote:
panicparty wrote:

These are all really good points.
Hoka, i'm with you. I sort of liked the police thing as well. I got to see it from on stage at virgin fest in Baltimore. a friend of mine was production manager for that festival. the cops didn't mail it in - they played hard. but they arrived separately about 15 minutes before their set and left before the lights were up. no soundcheck. almost no gear. huge dough and if you were a police fan, it was very satisfying. here's my ex wife and baby son a few feet in front of the stage. https://flic.kr/p/4VJ1TY [coincidentally, fast forward to this past weekend in new Orleans at jazzfest. we heard the last act in the jazz tent and left to go to our car, walking behind acura stage to the wafting sounds of sting's latest greatest hits act. it sounded pretty lame.]

MicrowavedGerbil

#10 Post by MicrowavedGerbil » Thu May 17, 2018 1:57 pm

I saw that shit live on Myspace ... Then we all gathered at xiola to talk about it. Damn, its been a decade. I also remember when perry did this launch for his Lollapalooza site and had that photo crop where you add your face to perrfy dancing to wish upon a dog star.