BVB tribute to Jane's...

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
JOEinPHX

Re: BVB tribute to Jane's...

#21 Post by JOEinPHX » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:02 pm

You're so young.

Your references don't make me feel old. They just make me sad at how much your generation is unexposed to any music that came before you.

clickie

#22 Post by clickie » Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:08 pm

The BVB rips off Pantera even more than Janes, check this out at the 2 minute mark, or even from the beginning. They do cite Pantera as a major influence on wiki.

Now listen to hallow at the 2:50 mark. The whole BVB song is built around this.

MicrowavedGerbil

#23 Post by MicrowavedGerbil » Mon May 07, 2018 10:52 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:You're so young.

Your references don't make me feel old. They just make me sad at how much your generation is unexposed to any music that came before you.
C'mon dude, I'm a Jane's addiction fan. That should tell you that I have had some exposure. Lets face it, a teenager discoverimg Jane's in 2006 was unheard of. i was stuck in the 80's and 90's for the entirety on my youth hood. I listened to primus, incubus, RATM ,Ratt, STP and all the other great grunge bands in middle school. I only referenced what I did cause it was "my era" of music. Just like you would reference your era.

MicrowavedGerbil

#24 Post by MicrowavedGerbil » Mon May 07, 2018 10:55 pm

clickie wrote:The BVB rips off Pantera even more than Janes, check this out at the 2 minute mark, or even from the beginning. They do cite Pantera as a major influence on wiki.

Now listen to hallow at the 2:50 mark. The whole BVB song is built around this.

I like both bands man. I'm not gonna rip on them for paying tribute to their influences. Just like we never ripped Navarro for ripping off Cream and Clapton.

Xizen47

#25 Post by Xizen47 » Tue May 08, 2018 3:51 pm

MicrowavedGerbil wrote:[Just like we never ripped Navarro for ripping off Cream and Clapton.
Damn that Navarro for ripping off the Minor Pentatonic :oldtimer:

Matz

#26 Post by Matz » Wed May 09, 2018 1:53 am

:lol: Hey Microwave, that's the weakest rip off accusation I've heard in a long time.

This on the other hand is legit I think. Danish band, Iceage, I just became aware of. They borrow a bit too much from Venus in furs here

Hype

#27 Post by Hype » Wed May 09, 2018 10:56 am

Xizen47 wrote:
MicrowavedGerbil wrote:[Just like we never ripped Navarro for ripping off Cream and Clapton.
I thought it was this song that Dave (or maybe one of the original guitarists, since a bunch of the guitar-parts were already done before he joined) rips off more directly:

Others seems to have noticed:

:lol:

MicrowavedGerbil

#28 Post by MicrowavedGerbil » Wed May 09, 2018 5:30 pm

Xizen47 wrote:
That logic can be applicable anywhere. By those standards everyone rips anyone off.

clickie

#29 Post by clickie » Sat May 12, 2018 6:47 am

You guys ever notice how similar the drums are in the beginning of these two tracks?

Hokahey
Site Admin

#30 Post by Hokahey » Sat May 12, 2018 2:25 pm

clickie wrote:You guys ever notice how similar the drums are in the beginning of these two tracks?

Nope, which is funny considering how many hundreds of times I've listened to both tracks. I can hear it.

Probably my favorite Tool song.

And I still contend that GGU was grossly underrated. It still sounded like a bunch of druggies from the street, but hanging out in Bali.

clickie

#31 Post by clickie » Sat May 12, 2018 7:53 pm

I don't want to sound like some kind of music snob or something, but after playing that Lateralus cd about 2 times I was done listening to that band forever. The music sounded so sterile to me, I lost interest pretty much forever . I saw them on the second stage of Lollapalooza 2 right around when Sober was getting major airplay on the radio and I won't deny that was a highlight of the entire festival .

Hokahey
Site Admin

#32 Post by Hokahey » Sat May 12, 2018 9:15 pm

clickie wrote:I don't want to sound like some kind of music snob or something, but after playing that Lateralus cd about 2 times I was done listening to that band forever. The music sounded so sterile to me, I lost interest pretty much forever . I saw them on the second stage of Lollapalooza 2 right around when Sober was getting major airplay on the radio and I won't deny that was a highlight of the entire festival .
I can understand. I didn't love Lateralus at first. Even a little. Seeing them on that tour, and hearing certain songs in certain situations helped.

MicrowavedGerbil

#33 Post by MicrowavedGerbil » Sun May 13, 2018 12:34 am

Never got into tool either. Back in 2002 they were heavily promoted but wasn't into it. I was into RHCP cause By The Way was out that time and the strokes had come out with their debut. I liked those albums more.

clickie

#34 Post by clickie » Sun May 13, 2018 6:14 am

Oh I was into Tool big time for Undertow and Opiate. But bye the time Aenima came out I was slowly starting to lose interest, although I did come to appreciate Aenima later on. I probably bought Lateralus out of habit just for something to do.

Mescal

#35 Post by Mescal » Sun May 13, 2018 10:57 am

Wasn't really a fan of Tool until I saw em live during their Lateralus tour. I was blown away by their performance and their wall of sound.

Lateralus is a desert Island disc now.

Incredible album. Performance, sound, concept etc. Perfect album imo

trevor ayer

#36 Post by trevor ayer » Sun May 13, 2018 12:09 pm

I saw tool open for rollins 2 nights in a row at cbgb around when opiate came out ... have trouble digging much after undertow

MicrowavedGerbil

#37 Post by MicrowavedGerbil » Sun May 13, 2018 12:49 pm

There is this one song though, can't remember the name of it. I was having a few drinks with a friend at his place with my brothers. He played a tool song that had this part where it was almost instrumental from what I remember, but they were playing along to a loop. The audio was channeling from left to right in a "loop" fashion. I was pretty high so it caught my attention but never found it again.

Mescal

#38 Post by Mescal » Sun May 13, 2018 1:21 pm

trevor ayer wrote:I saw tool open for rollins 2 nights in a row at cbgb around when opiate came out ... have trouble digging much after undertow
Must've been really cool seeing them in the early days!!

But so, no love for Lateralus around here? Strange...

kv

#39 Post by kv » Sun May 13, 2018 8:55 pm

Loved the ep opiate and undertow then I fell off...they were always odd live to me...he'd stand back far from the edge of the stage or by the drum riser and wail ignoring the crowd for the most part...band always sounded amazing live though

clickie

#40 Post by clickie » Mon May 14, 2018 9:49 am

This is kind of funny. They had a few kinks early on they fixed.

MicrowavedGerbil

#41 Post by MicrowavedGerbil » Thu May 17, 2018 1:54 pm

Matz wrote::lol: Hey Microwave, that's the weakest rip off accusation I've heard in a long time.

This on the other hand is legit I think. Danish band, Iceage, I just became aware of. They borrow a bit too much from Venus in furs here

You like.