BVB tribute to Jane's...

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
MicrowavedGerbil

BVB tribute to Jane's...

#1 Post by MicrowavedGerbil » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:10 am

Some story I shared on another Jane's site several years back... Thought it would be awesome to share again.

I was a fan of BVB as a teen back in 2009-2012. Came across a song that reminded me too much of Ocean Size. Didn't think the members of the band were fans of Jane's so I took it as a coincidence. A year and a half later, I would see twitter posts by the band of them rocking T-shirts of bands like Bauhaus and other bands around that time so I figured there would be a chance. I asked the lead singer on form-spring.me if they were fans of Jane's.. He surprisingly took the time to reply to my dull question.He simply replied, "nope.not me.. Can't speak for the rest"..so I took it upon myself to harass the guitarist on twitter not really expecting anything (they almost always never reply to fans). I told him I was a huge fan of Jane's and couldnt help but hear a resemblance on his riff.... About 2 minutes later he " Heart" my tweet and shortly after tweeted a pic of what it looked like a dated photo of himself wearing a plain black tee with the Jane's addiction wordmark on it.. Motherfucker passively admitted that he had paid tribute to Jane's addiction ....
Must have meant a lot considering it was dedicated to his mother who he had said his "love for her was ocean sized" after she passed unexpectedly in 2014.

Sorry, can not figure out how to link the video itself. If someone would be kind enough to fix it for me.. Thx. ( :tiphat: kv)

Can you think of any other tribute done by other bands?

MicrowavedGerbil

Re: BVB tribute to Jane's...

#2 Post by MicrowavedGerbil » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:20 am

The lead guitar is supposed to be the "ooooo's"

Hokahey
Site Admin

#3 Post by Hokahey » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:05 pm

The only thing even vaguely resembling Jane's Addiction is the opening guitar that does sound reminiscent of the beginning of ocean size. Other than that, it sounds like an extremely poor man's A Perfect Circle.

Matz

#4 Post by Matz » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:38 pm

Hokahey wrote:poor man's A Perfect Circle.
:yikes: scary concept

kv

#5 Post by kv » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:13 pm

I wanna know how many people have heard of this band before this thread...def not enough to just call them bvb

MicrowavedGerbil

#6 Post by MicrowavedGerbil » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:21 pm

Hokahey wrote:The only thing even vaguely resembling Jane's Addiction is the opening guitar that does sound reminiscent of the beginning of ocean size. Other than that, it sounds like an extremely poor man's A Perfect Circle.
I mean that's the tribute.. Not the entire song. He wasn't gonna rip it all off lol

MicrowavedGerbil

#7 Post by MicrowavedGerbil » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:22 pm

kv wrote:I wanna know how many people have heard of this band before this thread...def not enough to just call them bvb
Dude this band is huge lol.. Even with the older audience, while not very popular with them, are very familiar.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#8 Post by Hokahey » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:39 pm

MicrowavedGerbil wrote:
kv wrote:I wanna know how many people have heard of this band before this thread...def not enough to just call them bvb
Dude this band is huge lol.. Even with the older audience, while not very popular with them, are very familiar.
If anyone here can honestly say they knew who BVB was just by the initials I'll eat my pants.

JOEinPHX

#9 Post by JOEinPHX » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:09 pm

Hokahey wrote:
MicrowavedGerbil wrote:
If anyone here can honestly say they knew who BVB was just by the initials I'll eat my pants.
I knew who it was.

Jinxx used to be in The Dreaming.

JOEinPHX

#10 Post by JOEinPHX » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:11 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:
Hokahey wrote:
MicrowavedGerbil wrote:
I knew who it was.

The Dreaming is made up of the singer and drummer (and occasionally keyboard player) from Stabbing Westward.

panicparty

#11 Post by panicparty » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:29 am

MicrowavedGerbil wrote:
I can think of a whole band - a British band called Oceansize, took their name from the song acknowledging heavy influence. From Wikipedia:
The band subsequently named themselves after Jane's Addiction song, "Ocean Size". According to guitarist Gambler, the band's then-bassist Jon Ellis came up with the name: "I think, at the time, he was thinking what we would sound like. Jane’s Nothing's Shocking album, which has the track "Ocean Size" on it, was definitely a big influence."
The band later went on to break up when drug abuse got in the way of the band moving forward - a finer tribute to Jane's is hard to imagine.

There are quite a few U2 songs, and latter years Bono stage behaviours, that always felt like they were trying to channel Jane's magic - Vertigo in particular to me sounds like Strays era Jane's without the talented guitarist.

kv

#12 Post by kv » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:21 am

Six7Six7 wrote:
Hokahey wrote:
MicrowavedGerbil wrote:
I knew who it was.

I knew who they were too but doubt 90% of people here would... it's a pretty old group here, not a big warped tour audience and they aren't that big outside of that

Hokahey
Site Admin

#13 Post by Hokahey » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:57 am

I've heard of them but don't make any connection seeing BVB.

MicrowavedGerbil

#14 Post by MicrowavedGerbil » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:13 pm

panicparty wrote:
MicrowavedGerbil wrote:
I can think of a whole band - a British band called Oceansize, took their name from the song acknowledging heavy influence. From Wikipedia:
The band subsequently named themselves after Jane's Addiction song, "Ocean Size". According to guitarist Gambler, the band's then-bassist Jon Ellis came up with the name: "I think, at the time, he was thinking what we would sound like. Jane’s Nothing's Shocking album, which has the track "Ocean Size" on it, was definitely a big influence."
I've heard about them, I never realized they were an actual group. I always remembered them as a live cover band other than a group who released their own material. Am I missing out?

JOEinPHX

#15 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:50 pm

MicrowavedGerbil wrote:
panicparty wrote:
MicrowavedGerbil wrote:
I've heard about them, I never realized they were an actual group. I always remembered them as a live cover band other than a group who released their own material. Am I missing out?
YES.

:rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

Mescal

#16 Post by Mescal » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:24 pm

I honestly don't know what Bvb stands for.

I have heard about Ocean Size though. Seen 'em live once and thought they must've taken their name from JA. Didn't think they sounded anything like JA and remember them being quite boring.

Was support act for Porcupine Tree if I remember correctly

MicrowavedGerbil

#17 Post by MicrowavedGerbil » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:47 pm

Mescal wrote:I honestly don't know what Bvb stands for.

I have heard about Ocean Size though. Seen 'em live once and thought they must've taken their name from JA. Didn't think they sounded anything like JA and remember them being quite boring.

Was support act for Porcupine Tree if I remember correctly
Well, I'm sure you've figured it out by now, Black Veil Brides. They're actually a very successful band. They managed to gather hundreds of millions of YouTube views which is pretty damn impressive for today's Rock music standards. Because that's rap musicians average views now a days.

kv

#18 Post by kv » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:38 pm

Shit, YouTube views? Guess lil xan is the next big thing then lmfao

MicrowavedGerbil

#19 Post by MicrowavedGerbil » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:51 pm

kv wrote:Shit, YouTube views? Guess lil xan is the next big thing then lmfao
Dude, you can totally get an idea of how successful/popular a musician/group is by their YouTube numbers. That's where everyone listens to music now.

MicrowavedGerbil

#20 Post by MicrowavedGerbil » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:12 pm

YES.

:rockon: :rockon: :rockon:[/quote]

Hey, I like the post-hardcore elements in the instrumentals.. Kinda like how deftones did before. High vocals remind me of Brandon Boyd a little bit.

JOEinPHX

#21 Post by JOEinPHX » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:02 pm

You're so young.

Your references don't make me feel old. They just make me sad at how much your generation is unexposed to any music that came before you.

clickie

#22 Post by clickie » Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:08 pm

The BVB rips off Pantera even more than Janes, check this out at the 2 minute mark, or even from the beginning. They do cite Pantera as a major influence on wiki.

Now listen to hallow at the 2:50 mark. The whole BVB song is built around this.

MicrowavedGerbil

#23 Post by MicrowavedGerbil » Mon May 07, 2018 10:52 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:You're so young.

Your references don't make me feel old. They just make me sad at how much your generation is unexposed to any music that came before you.
C'mon dude, I'm a Jane's addiction fan. That should tell you that I have had some exposure. Lets face it, a teenager discoverimg Jane's in 2006 was unheard of. i was stuck in the 80's and 90's for the entirety on my youth hood. I listened to primus, incubus, RATM ,Ratt, STP and all the other great grunge bands in middle school. I only referenced what I did cause it was "my era" of music. Just like you would reference your era.

MicrowavedGerbil

#24 Post by MicrowavedGerbil » Mon May 07, 2018 10:55 pm

clickie wrote:The BVB rips off Pantera even more than Janes, check this out at the 2 minute mark, or even from the beginning. They do cite Pantera as a major influence on wiki.

Now listen to hallow at the 2:50 mark. The whole BVB song is built around this.

I like both bands man. I'm not gonna rip on them for paying tribute to their influences. Just like we never ripped Navarro for ripping off Cream and Clapton.

Xizen47

#25 Post by Xizen47 » Tue May 08, 2018 3:51 pm

MicrowavedGerbil wrote:[Just like we never ripped Navarro for ripping off Cream and Clapton.
Damn that Navarro for ripping off the Minor Pentatonic :oldtimer: