Rolling Stone article:Perry Farrell on Being an Uncool Dad

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
creep
Site Admin

Re: Rolling Stone article:Perry Farrell on Being an Uncool D

#41 Post by creep » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:49 am

clickie wrote:I'm not gonna lie, Houston has stood out to me as the worst place to live in the U.S. for the past 15 years or so ever since I really started to pay attention to these type of things.
Ive traveled quite a bit in Texas and there are some great places to live there but Houston is not one of them. I agree that it's a horrible place.

I also think Austin is way overrated.

Hype

#42 Post by Hype » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:48 am

Guys... I'm trying to get AWAY from humidity... Right now it's 28C and 50% humidity in my town and it's not even noon. The "humidex" rating for today is 43C. A couple days ago, it was effectively hotter than Death Valley by "feel" because of the humidity. I don't care about the shittiness of a city's culture or people or whatever if it's got dry heat. Calgary, AB was like that, but has bitterly cold winters. I'd still prefer that to this 50-60% humidity, 30+ degrees Celsius weather half the year and alternating bitterly damp cold and rainy winters that last upwards of 5-6 months. I'll even take Madison, WI over Southern Ontario weather. I think you can find things to enjoy about any place, and a lot of places that people love are places where I think it would be insane to seriously live (like New Orleans, or New York, or LA; or even Toronto, which has the gross humidity in the summer AND a depressing lack of world-class infrastructure and culture).

Artemis

#43 Post by Artemis » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:58 pm

Hype, don't forget about the spike in gun violence lately. Eleven people shot since Friday in the downtown area. 51 homocides so far this year, up from last year at this time and higher than New York.

kv

#44 Post by kv » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:06 pm

I never understand why people knock LA.... it's so fucking huge you can find whatever you wanna do...traffic is fucked....parts of LA are fucked...most is pretty fucking rad...mostly people from all cultures and Creed's get along in a grocery store or a mall...it's an amazing place I think...you can surf in the morning catch lunch in Chinatown, go to the mountains and ski at night...then hit a after hours place in Hollywood before driving back to the beach to rest before morning surf :rockon:

creep
Site Admin

#45 Post by creep » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:34 pm

kv wrote:I never understand why people knock LA.... it's so fucking huge you can find whatever you wanna do...traffic is fucked....parts of LA are fucked...most is pretty fucking rad...mostly people from all cultures and Creed's get along in a grocery store or a mall...it's an amazing place I think...you can surf in the morning catch lunch in Chinatown, go to the mountains and ski at night...then hit a after hours place in Hollywood before driving back to the beach to rest before morning surf :rockon:
Because we can't afford to live there. I would choose San Diego over LA though

Hype

#46 Post by Hype » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:35 pm

There are parts of Toronto I'd live in, and I'm sure there are parts of LA I'd find awesome, and obviously there are tons of perks of all big cities. But big cities are also easy to visit and take advantage of all the good parts. I guess my point was only that I really liked Las Vegas even though I get why people don't like it. Part of what I enjoyed is that the parts of it I wouldn't like were really easy to avoid, and I felt like the complaints about it were way overblown. I think I feel similarly about Chicago. It's a city with serious problems, but it's also really easy to enjoy when the weather's good. If I could have the food and music and infrastructure of Chicago with the university-town atmosphere of Boston and Pittsburgh and the weather of Las Vegas... I think that'd be a perfect city. Paris is kind of like that, but it has some pretty serious social issues right now that it's not doing a good job working out.

kv

#47 Post by kv » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:31 am

Vegas has perfect weather? It's an outdoor oven half the year

SR

#48 Post by SR » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:25 am

Paris isn't the only one; A lot of major cities are at a tipping point in Europe.

I have put a great deal of thought into this as I am old. Weather is important. I wilt in intense heat and intense heat and humidity and since this convo has evolved from cities to visit to cities to live, there are a few requisites that I'd need.

1. Space. I'd like to wake up to the ocean or a mountain range and streams or rivers. Luckily both have a large number of locales that have moderate climates. Unluckily, most are really expensive. As much as I don't want to deal with people at home, I'd like a short drive into a town to get a newspaper and a cup of coffee. Then, I'd need a city not too far off for music, food, and theatrer.

2. Peeps....No monster truck rallys; no NRA or WWE conventions; no Jebidiah or Cletus confederate flags; no hallelujapalooza Jebus freaks; no missplelled signs....

3. Weather. I don't think I'd want a climate stasis. I'd like to track seasons and learn about thelocal flora and fauna.

4. Golden Retriver; portable so it's all good here

Hype

#49 Post by Hype » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:49 am

Vegas is an oven, yes. But it's the kind of oven that I like.

creep
Site Admin

#50 Post by creep » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:58 am

I can appreciate the desert but not in a big city. We get a few months of Vegas like heat and I don't mind it too much. It's way better than the winters we get here. I know compared to everyone else our winters are nothing (mid 50's F and some rain) but they are the wort part about where I live. Not enough daylight too in the winter. Easily the best climate ever is Hawaii.

SR

#51 Post by SR » Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:06 am

theatre* ugg.... :lol:

Love Kauai, but it is humid....more so than the other islands.

Juana

#52 Post by Juana » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:45 am

creep wrote:
clickie wrote:I'm not gonna lie, Houston has stood out to me as the worst place to live in the U.S. for the past 15 years or so ever since I really started to pay attention to these type of things.
Ive traveled quite a bit in Texas and there are some great places to live there but Houston is not one of them. I agree that it's a horrible place.

I also think Austin is way overrated.
I set up in the San Marcos and Wimberly area sorta in between, still got all the weirdness but I can get Ace to work on my amps etc. Austin used to be fun but it sold it's soul.

As for Houston that city is a hard NO for me. I'm trying to talk the better half into at least spending 3-4 months a year out by Marfa doubt I will have success as she likes spending those months in Huntington Beach

trevor ayer

#53 Post by trevor ayer » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:07 pm

I like it cold ... keeps the assholes away

Hype

#54 Post by Hype » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:08 pm

Man... no it doesn't. If only... :lol:

Pandemonium

#55 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:45 pm

creep wrote:Because we can't afford to live there. I would choose San Diego over LA though
Pretty much anywhere between Santa Maria and San Diego within a few miles of the coast weather-wise is almost unbeatable nearly year-round (well, except for this weekend). A quarter inch of rain is considered the lead story on the news. The only thing mother nature can thrill us with besides wildfires is the "Big One" earthquake that we'll someday have to deal with. And like KV says, especially around the LA/Orange County area, you really have everything you'd want culture and entertainment-wise within easy driving distance.

But yeah, it's becoming really expensive to live here and dealing daily with traffic on the freeways will take years off your life. Because everything even in LA proper is so spread out, you will spend a lot of time in your car, public transportation just doesn't cut it. And the asshole factor just keeps going higher and higher.

JOEinPHX

#56 Post by JOEinPHX » Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:44 pm

trevor ayer wrote:I like it cold ... keeps the assholes away
No it doesn't. It makes EVERYONE miserable and cunty.

People who live in sunny/warm areas are much happier and more pleasant.

clickie

#57 Post by clickie » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:50 am

I wasn't sure if this article was posted already.

https://www.guitarworld.com/artists/per ... r-rise-and

Hokahey
Site Admin

#58 Post by Hokahey » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:40 pm

clickie wrote:I wasn't sure if this article was posted already.

https://www.guitarworld.com/artists/per ... r-rise-and
Jesus Christ.
“We were just hitting our stride,” he says. “It was the worst timing. It’s like my wife always says, ‘You’re where you are now, Perry, because you chose to sing about ménage a trois and heroin. That’s your fan base, that’s your audience. If you had sung about silly love songs, you’d be bigger.' But I just couldn’t do it. I had to be who I was.”