Eric Avery on NS Podcast

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
tvrec

Eric Avery on NS Podcast

#1 Post by tvrec » Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:29 pm

http://zpnetwork.com/eric-avery-formerl ... addiction/

New Eric Avery interview on Nothing's Shocking Podcast.

Stickyfingers

Re: Eric Avery on NS Podcast

#2 Post by Stickyfingers » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:40 pm

Good analyzer, good thinker, but for rock music :noclue: this is just overthinking...
He should be good at writing books, anyway. Really he should try. Long books, novels...

JOEinPHX

#3 Post by JOEinPHX » Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:45 pm

Someone summarize any new information mentioned please.

I'm not interested in hearing the past rehashed for the 10,000th time.

creep
Site Admin

#4 Post by creep » Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:53 pm

Six7Six7 wrote: I'm not interested in hearing the past rehashed for the 10,000th time.
You're in the wrong place for that.

JOEinPHX

#5 Post by JOEinPHX » Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:23 pm

creep wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote: I'm not interested in hearing the past rehashed for the 10,000th time.
You're in the wrong place for that.
:lol:

kv

#6 Post by kv » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:26 pm

Naw we are mostly all tired of it....

intertwoven

#7 Post by intertwoven » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:04 pm

Cool "Don't Call Me The N-Word, Whitey" Gift outtakes just popped up on YouTube the other day. 1st version is the one in the film. 2nd take isn't as good. 3rd take is Perry doing both parts.

JOEinPHX

#8 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:13 pm

So was nothing new learned on this podcast then? Is he making new music or joining any new bands that he'll quit two weeks later?

Matz

#9 Post by Matz » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:51 am

he said that he's in play for what seems to be a high profile gig, but that he could not talk about it yet

He's making new music with "his friend Josh Klinfhoffer", such a name dropper, once a week, where they play around with modular synths. He's not aiming to make "a product" (album) because he said there's no demand for new music from him.

Juana

#10 Post by Juana » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:18 am

Matz wrote:he said that he's in play for what seems to be a high profile gig, but that he could not talk about it yet

He's making new music with "his friend Josh Klinfhoffer", such a name dropper, once a week, where they play around with modular synths. He's not aiming to make "a product" (album) because he said there's no demand for new music from him.
Meh he needs to get his groove back

SR

#11 Post by SR » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:13 am

Matz wrote:he said that he's in play for what seems to be a high profile gig, but that he could not talk about it yet
I didn't. hear (you know) him say. this....(you know) and um....it's kinda (you know) really um puzzling (you know)....nails was well kinda (you know) high profile but didn't work out (sort of) but (you know) I'm still interested.....(you know) curious like interested

JOEinPHX

#12 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:19 pm

Matz wrote:He's not aiming to make "a product" (album) because he said there's no demand for new music from him.
It's almost like people stop paying attention when you only put out an album once every 8-10 years.

Imagine that :eyes:

guysmiley

#13 Post by guysmiley » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:16 pm

To be fair I guess it was recorded months ago. Could have been talking about the Peter Hook gig he did.

tvrec

#14 Post by tvrec » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:03 pm

guysmiley wrote:To be fair I guess it was recorded months ago. Could have been talking about the Peter Hook gig he did.
I don't think that's what he was talking about. The context was some job in which he had a bid against other companies vying for the same contract. He said something to the effect that he was just a guy in a room doing his thing and competing for the gig whereas others in the running were companies with far more resources. In the end, sounds like something Perry would say, e.g., a great opportunity that is so amazing, but I can't really talk about it now, just can say that it's amazing.

tvrec

#15 Post by tvrec » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:07 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:
Matz wrote:He's not aiming to make "a product" (album) because he said there's no demand for new music from him.
It's almost like people stop paying attention when you only put out an album once every 8-10 years.

I think his statement was realistic. He spoke about a series of post-Jane's "products" that lead him to realize there's just not a demand to justify the kind of commercial ambitions he previously held when Jane's began. Deconstruction fell flat, Polar Bear pretty much ignored, and nothing happened with his solo record. He's looking for a different model that allows him to continue creative expression.

kv

#16 Post by kv » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:10 pm

Bingo

JOEinPHX

#17 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:53 am

tvrec wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:

I think his statement was realistic. He spoke about a series of post-Jane's "products" that lead him to realize there's just not a demand to justify the kind of commercial ambitions he previously held when Jane's began. Deconstruction fell flat, Polar Bear pretty much ignored, and nothing happened with his solo record. He's looking for a different model that allows him to continue creative expression.
He has a home studio. Record music and put it on bandcamp. :noclue:

He's just never going to be commercially successful again. And that's fine. But if he wants to keep creating, and get paid for it, there are far more options today than there were even 5 years ago.

And it wouldn't stop him from doing his Garbage gig either for real money.

I have plenty of musician friends sitting on dozens of finished songs, but they feel like if they can't go tour or have a full band play it live locally, it there is no point in putting it out. Which is stupid. If even 50 people buy your 10 dollar album then you at least just paid for that new guitar you just bought to write it all. Or the whiskey you downed to get inspired to create.

Artists are fucking weird.

SR

#18 Post by SR » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:22 am

EA championed the new tech that led to the office studio as the great equalizer and celebrated the record co's death. And now he seems to depart from the artistic parody celebration to lamenting unfair power in influence where music gets selected for projects? As much as I don't like the fact that he's demoralized because there is no "demand" for his music, and I don't understand the machinations of the broader music industry, what does he want? As far as connections go, I would think he's in a uniquely fortunate position. By his own admission he is closely associated with some fairly influential peeps....Flea, JK, Atticus, and Trent to name a few. I really like EA, but he seems on the surface to get in his own way in the last decade or so. Inasmuch as he uses PB and Deconstruction as excuses, they are part of the reason he's relevant to some casual fans and certainly to accomplished musicians in the industry. But, as he says he's doing fine. It was nice to see him stream PB recently for everyone.

clickie

#19 Post by clickie » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:41 am

I wonder why he thought his vocals were suitable on that Deconstruction album. Dave should have told him he can't sing. I guess they were trying to prove a point to Perry that having a good vocalist isn't important.

guysmiley

#20 Post by guysmiley » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:55 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:
tvrec wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:

He has a home studio. Record music and put it on bandcamp. :noclue:

He's just never going to be commercially successful again. And that's fine. But if he wants to keep creating, and get paid for it, there are far more options today than there were even 5 years ago.

And it wouldn't stop him from doing his Garbage gig either for real money.

I have plenty of musician friends sitting on dozens of finished songs, but they feel like if they can't go tour or have a full band play it live locally, it there is no point in putting it out. Which is stupid. If even 50 people buy your 10 dollar album then you at least just paid for that new guitar you just bought to write it all. Or the whiskey you downed to get inspired to create.

Artists are fucking weird.
I know lots of guys like that too. I find myself not finishing stuff because, well next week I'll get a better mic, or I can redo this and that. Perfectionism screws people out of getting stuff finished sometimes. I find I just have to let it go at some point. Laziness too. Bandcamp is great for folks. Established or not. Eric could make a few extra dollars off it for sure. I've managed to get new gear off bandcamp sales to help further along my recording needs. It can be done. Even if you only have a few weird eccentric people who buy your music. But, even with all these home studios, money shouldn't be a driving force.

Hype

#21 Post by Hype » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:10 am

It's because young people are hungry and naive and energetic.
EA is old and accomplished. That kills creativity and productivity unless there's something else driving it.

JOEinPHX

#22 Post by JOEinPHX » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:27 pm

clickie wrote:I wonder why he thought his vocals were suitable on that Deconstruction album. Dave should have told him he can't sing. I guess they were trying to prove a point to Perry that having a good vocalist isn't important.
I think it had more to do with the fact that either Dave or Eric had to sing, and Dave didn't want to do it.

Same thing happened with the band Filter. Richard and Brian were making their own music in their offtime from working with NIN, and one of them had to sing on it. They flipped a coin. Richard lost. Or won? I don't remember who wanted it less.

Stabbing Westward is another band that gained their singer from the idea of "Well, SOMEONE has to do it"

I think it's common for a lot of bands who start out with minimal options in a garage. At some point, people will just say "Dude, YOU do it"

JOEinPHX

#23 Post by JOEinPHX » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:32 pm

guysmiley wrote: I find myself not finishing stuff because, well next week I'll get a better mic, or I can redo this and that. Perfectionism screws people out of getting stuff finished sometimes.
That is my close friend's problem.

He wrote this song back in 2005, which was probably the best song his band ever wrote. It was slated for their second album, but the band broke up.

A year later he plays me a song. It sounds ok. He tells me he rewrote the keyboard line (the best part of the song) and the guitars. It became a totally different song.

He probably has done that 5 times since then.

Last year he played it for me again. He changed it all for the 7th or 8th time. It has nothing in common with the song it began as. The new versions all blow in comparison. Way too busy. Too much going on.

But he started recording in protools and then moved it all to Logic and then moved it all to something else. New sounds to dick with. 8 new keyboard purchases. 12 new guitars. Pickups switched in the guitars. New amps. New amp heads.

RETRACK. RETRACK. RETRACK.

Last year I got drunk and told him he's being a fucking idiot and he needs to start putting out one song a month on bandcamp and at least make a few bucks for the last 13 years of solo work. He agreed with me. Said he was going to do it. It's been 16 months. Not a single song has seen the light of day :eyes:

JOEinPHX

#24 Post by JOEinPHX » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:42 pm

Hype wrote:It's because young people are hungry and naive and energetic.
EA is old and accomplished. That kills creativity and productivity unless there's something else driving it.
I wonder how much of the change in the record industry has caused this.

When they were young, they could be fuckups and it didn't matter because the record label was paying big bucks to keep them on a bus on the road with a tour manager that held their little hands through it all. They all had professional baby sitters.

Now as adults, those resources aren't there. They don't feel like doing anything themselves because they never had to. It went from all, to nothing.

I feel like the older artists are having any easier time. They worked hard to make it before music was a commodity and as such, they have a work ethic.

And the 90s bands and everyone that came after watched the music label industry die, so they adapted in real time. It was a slow change.

But the 80s bands... Jane's Era... they had everything handed to them on a silver cocaine-filled platter, then in the 90s for some reason just couldn't figure out why 15 years of partying had suddenly come to an end.

Seriously, every other decade's musicians are making it work. But those 80s bands... just whiners.

Stickyfingers

#25 Post by Stickyfingers » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:27 am

Eric is just unreliable musician. Not sure if he really knows what he wants to do :noclue:
http://loudwire.com/dave-navarro-rips-e ... nails-exit

From his old blog, he quit four high schools in three years (!!), then quit Janes, quit Deconstruction because didn't want tour, refuse/quit Tool, Metallica, Smashing Pumpkins, NIN, Janes again...

:bored: