Chris Chaney in New Publicity Photo

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Leto

Chris Chaney in New Publicity Photo

#1 Post by Leto » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:56 am

Tyler Durden

Re: Chris Chaney in New Publicity Photo

#2 Post by Tyler Durden » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:01 am

That's not Chris Chaney...it's just a cardboard cutout or a wax figure from Madame Tussauds.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Chris Chaney has all of the charisma of an empty shoebox or a pair of beige pants.

JOEinPHX

#3 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:28 am

fuck yeah Chaney!

Tyler Durden

#4 Post by Tyler Durden » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:30 am

Six7Six7 wrote:fuck yeah Chaney!
:slap:

thoreau

#5 Post by thoreau » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:50 am

Well I'm glad they finally released one of the photos with Chaney in it, considering that they've been saying he's back as a permanent member for months now.

JOEinPHX

#6 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:04 pm

thoreau wrote:Well I'm glad they finally released one of the photos with Chaney in it, considering that they've been saying he's back as a permanent member for months now.
years even.

cashinnowperry

#7 Post by cashinnowperry » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:18 pm

great bassist, but might as well be a robot. i guess he isn't human/permanent enough to have been included on the IF artwork.

chaos

#8 Post by chaos » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:25 pm

The photo with the article has a very Beatlesque sort of look to it.

Hyperbolic

#9 Post by Hyperbolic » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:31 pm

Dave ruins the illusion that the guys are actually walking.

yours truly,
Anita Job.

Tyler Durden

#10 Post by Tyler Durden » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:31 pm

chaos wrote:The photo with the article has a very Beatlesque sort of look to it.

Or Corey Hart...

Romeo

#11 Post by Romeo » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:37 pm

chaos wrote:The photo with the article has a very Beatlesque sort of look to it.

I think the guy without the sunglasses is the suspect

Leto

#12 Post by Leto » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:48 pm

cashinnowperry wrote:great bassist, but might as well be a robot. i guess he isn't human/permanent enough to have been included on the IF artwork.
Honestly, I can't gauge how good of a studio/creative bassist he is in the Jane's Addiction dynamic because it seems like he came in after most of the groundwork had been done on both the new album and Strays where he apparently just tweaked Martyn's work. No fault of his own. However, for better or for worse, he has been the good son of the band lacking drama or anything else, a quiet loyal member of a team can be underrated thing. He sounded great on the 3d Phone Commercial, err show.

Insert ducking under table emoticon here or maybe this'll work :sonny: Oh shit, that emoticon is named Sonny. :shock: :lol: No mercy here.

I don't think anyone can replace Avery but Jane's is what it is today.

Leto

#13 Post by Leto » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:51 pm

Romeo wrote:

Chaney is the Walrus... goo goo g'joob.

cashinnowperry

#14 Post by cashinnowperry » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:58 pm

Leto wrote:
Honestly, I can't gauge how good of a studio/creative bassist he is in the Jane's Addiction dynamic because it seems like he came in after most of the groundwork had been done on both the new album and Strays where he apparently just tweaked Martyn's work. No fault of his own. However, for better or for worse, he has been the good son of the band lacking drama or anything else, a quiet loyal member of a team can be underrated thing. He sounded great on the 3d Phone Commercial, err show.

Insert ducking under table emoticon here or maybe this'll work :sonny: Oh shit, that emoticon is named Sonny. :shock: :lol: No mercy here.

I don't think anyone can replace Avery but Jane's is what it is today.
True. I remember Eric raved about Cheney's technical abilities in that mythical 19 part epic with Sonny, but I feel like that's pretty much all he has going for him. Not much of a presence, and I have no idea what he does in the studio. The fact that they brought Sitek in makes me think he's not much of a factor there. Eric is certainly irreplaceable, but that's a lost cause now, so this is what we've got.

Jasper

#15 Post by Jasper » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:25 pm

Chaney deserves some respect. How he behaves in a live setting doesn't matter much to me, but I think it may be related to how he's treated in the band, who he is, and how fans see him. For instance, he didn't really have any fame beforehand, and he wasn't one of the people who got into JA at the ground level. He's surely not given totally equal sway in making decisions about music, or about touring or promotion or anything else, and he doesn't have a background where the fans would love him for any other reason (as was mentioned, he came into both of the last albums while a lot or most of the work had been done). So, how showy might he be compelled to act? How much attention is he going to feel comfortable attracting onstage? He's still kind of a nearly-anonymous hired-hand at this point. The dull performances of much of the Strays era might reflect poorly upon him at first glance, but we know that interpersonal problems with the other three were tainting those proceedings.

Chaney is talented, and musically literate. What he doesn't share are the life experiences of the original band, who are so intermingled. He STILL hasn't had the chance to work on a Jane's album from the ground up - and that's something which could earn him some respect (and scorn, no doubt). His recent performances have been very good. He played extremely well at the Vibes show, and even threw in some nice little improvisational flourishes (during cover tunes, I think). Remember, this guy played bass on Eric Avery's last solo album - that's gotta tell you something about the respect he's earned from his peers.

thoreau

#16 Post by thoreau » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:40 pm

Romeo wrote:

He has to earn those sunglasses, dammit!

Deconstruction

#17 Post by Deconstruction » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:01 pm

I wonder if Chaney will make it into the Irresistible Force video. That might take screen time away from Etty though.

Romeo

#18 Post by Romeo » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:03 pm

Ok ok but can he please lose the Alfalfa hair do he's been sporting for the last 5 years???

chaos

#19 Post by chaos » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:14 pm

Maybe he's just really shy. :noclue:

When I saw him play with The Panic Channel at The Paradise Lounge he did seem as though he wanted to be invisible.

However, he seems to come out of his shell a little. Based on the videos posted of the gigs in CT and NYC, he looked more engaged than I have ever seen him. Also, he participated in the CNET interview with Dave the day after the LG event; he speaks!

JOEinPHX

#20 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:51 pm

Does it really matter if Chaney isn't doing backflips onstage?

Here's the order of importance as far as who the crowd is looking at

1. Perry (tie)
1. Dave (tie)

(You can argue that with me all you want, but the dudes are showing up to see Perry be the freak he was back in the 80s/90s, while the girls are there to stare at Dave's abs and shoot a million pictures of him.)

3. Perk
4. The Dancers
5. The broads with the hooks in their back
6. "holy fuck, they have a bass player!"

In fact the only reason people are even standing on that side of the stage is because they can't stand on top of the heads of the people in the middle and stage right.

So give him a break. He shows up, he nails the basslines (and from what i heard for the NY/LG show, he was even getting Eric's tone pretty damn on the money), and he doesn't say or do anything stupid to embarrass the band.

The list of people LEAST tainting the name Jane's Addiction:

1. Chris Chaney
2. Eric Avery
3. Stephen Perkins
4. Dave Navarro
5. Perry Farrell

sinep

#21 Post by sinep » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:08 pm

that's not a publicity photo, they just all enjoy hiking griffith park dressed in sports coats.

killerlax22

#22 Post by killerlax22 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:34 pm

surprise surprise. dave appears to be the tallest in the photo! :yikes:

blackcoffee

#23 Post by blackcoffee » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:40 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:Does it really matter if Chaney isn't doing backflips onstage?

1. Perry (tie)
1. Dave (tie)

(You can argue that with me all you want, but the dudes are showing up to see Perry be the freak he was back in the 80s/90s, while the girls are there to stare at Dave's abs and shoot a million pictures of him.)

3. Perk
4. The Dancers

In fact the only reason people are even standing on that side of the stage is because they can't stand on top of the heads of the people in the middle and stage right.

So give him a break. He shows up, he nails the basslines (and from what i heard for the NY/LG show, he was even getting Eric's tone pretty damn on the money), and he doesn't say or do anything stupid to embarrass the band.

1. Chris Chaney
2. Eric Avery
3. Stephen Perkins
4. Dave Navarro
5. Perry Farrell

Probably the first time I've ever agreed with one of your posts....

krakle

#24 Post by krakle » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:45 pm

blackcoffee wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:Does it really matter if Chaney isn't doing backflips onstage?

1. Perry (tie)
1. Dave (tie)

3. Perk
4. The Dancers

1. Chris Chaney
2. Eric Avery
3. Stephen Perkins
4. Dave Navarro
5. Perry Farrell

Probably the first time I've ever agreed with one of your posts....
yikes, there's actually some truth in there :nod:

Jasper

#25 Post by Jasper » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:52 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:The list of people LEAST tainting the name Jane's Addiction:

1. Chris Chaney
2. Eric Avery
3. Stephen Perkins
4. Dave Navarro
5. Perry Farrell
The first two should be switched. What the hell did EA do? He wasn't on Strays or any related lifeless tours. He wasn't in TPC. Doesn't make sense.