Kind Heaven Orchestra's 12/2 show: Will it happen or not?

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects

Is this show happening?

It will go on as planned
76%
It will get canceled
24%

Total votes: 21

Hype

Re: Kind Heaven Orchestra's 12/2 show: Will it happen or not?

#101 Post by Hype » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:10 am

panicparty wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:34 am
Hype wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:48 pm
... Manic Street Preachers' 2000s albums without the original singer. ...
Manics haven't lost a singer. They lost a lyricist - technically a lyricist / "lead guitarist" but one who, in the finest punk tradition, couldn't really play guitar.
Whatever the hell he was. I guess I forgot. It's been years since I bothered to listen to them, and I don't think I'd bother with anything other than The Holy Bible if I did now.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#102 Post by Hokahey » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:14 pm

Hype wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:10 pm
Hokahey wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:52 pm
I can't totally abide all the Pixies love. I don't think they're hurting their legacy, but it's not like they're making real compelling music. Minus a few songs, its ok at best.

:noclue:
I'm not really sure what you are showing me here. I like this song in this video just fine. It just doesn't really get me super excited or anything. Like I said, I don't really feel like they are hurting their legacy but they're certainly not advancing it in any way.

Of course I say that, and Andro Queen is one of my favorite Pixies songs.

I am also not thrilled about them continuing on without Kim. It bothers me when any band continues without an integral member but calls it the same name. At the same time, it is crummy when that member potentially ruins the ability for the rest to be that band. So I'm not sure I feel super strongly about that point either.

phenobarb_bambalam

#103 Post by phenobarb_bambalam » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:19 pm

panicparty wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:34 am
Hype wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:48 pm
... Manic Street Preachers' 2000s albums without the original singer. ...
Manics haven't lost a singer. They lost a lyricist - technically a lyricist / "lead guitarist" but one who, in the finest punk tradition, couldn't really play guitar.
And, yet, he was the only interesting thing about the band.

trevor ayer

#104 Post by trevor ayer » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:07 pm

pixies and dino new stuff suffers mostly from the brickwalled too loud sound mastering that has been all the rage for far too long and for no good fucking reason ... otherwise its pretty solid stuff .. frank black writes great shit all the time ... he has some clunkers too but guys got tons of shit i love just as much as the old pixies stuff ... andro queen is fantastic as are many others on the 2 new albums .. too polished for me but the songs underneath are good stuff ... its too bad kim deal didn't write new shit with them .. but she wanted that breeders anniversary original line up money .. i think she has some addiction issues too .. her new shit has sucked since the amps .. unlike frank black whose catholics era is some of my favorite music of all time ... i dont like any of the new pumpkins zwan billy corgan crap but the reunion tour made me smile ear to ear the whole show ... no complaints

Hype

#105 Post by Hype » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:13 pm

Hokahey wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:14 pm
Hype wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:10 pm
Hokahey wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:52 pm
I can't totally abide all the Pixies love. I don't think they're hurting their legacy, but it's not like they're making real compelling music. Minus a few songs, its ok at best.

:noclue:
I'm not really sure what you are showing me here. I like this song in this video just fine. It just doesn't really get me super excited or anything. Like I said, I don't really feel like they are hurting their legacy but they're certainly not advancing it in any way.

Of course I say that, and Andro Queen is one of my favorite Pixies songs.

I am also not thrilled about them continuing on without Kim. It bothers me when any band continues without an integral member but calls it the same name. At the same time, it is crummy when that member potentially ruins the ability for the rest to be that band. So I'm not sure I feel super strongly about that point either.
I just think it's amazing how good they sound despite not having the original bassist, which is kind of an on-the-nose comparison to Jane's. Yeah, maybe it's not exactly like 1988 Pixies, but I've seen them live twice in the past few years and both times the energy was pretty damned great. Paz is an excellent replacement for Kim. Her voice fits extremely well, and I love the use of violin, especially live (that's just a personal thing though). When they did a rendition of Into The White at the last show, it was perfect. Kim is her own deal, but somehow there was nothing to miss. I guess the beautifully simple bass wasn't the only driving force behind the band's sound, and they found a way to live without it, in a way that Jane's can't quite figure out (with the exception, maybe, kind of, of Just Because as a radio-friendly early 2000s "rawk" track that a lot of non-fanatics liked). If it doesn't get you super-excited, I get it. That's how I felt about Bauhaus's recent efforts, even though I'm sure there are some fans who loved that stuff. :noclue:

tubro

#106 Post by tubro » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:03 pm

clickie wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:14 am
It's annoying watching the way Perry pulls the mic from his face constantly like a trombonist
Gotta share a moment about that from when PF was still the great Perry. For relapse at Hammerstein on halloween i was friends with the venue/promoter and got to watch from the opera box right off the floor house right. (If you were on the floor, we were the freaks throwing KitKats and other halloween treats to you.) The summertime rolls mobile stage was a few feet away. I’d seen perry do that microphone thing dozens of times but being a few feet away, with the crowd quiet, i was able to hear his voice directly out of his mouth and also hear it booming thru the PA. The effect of his moving the microphone was spectacular. I’m sure it’s not any good anymore because his voice is so weak. I haven’t seeen a PF show in quite some time now. But back when he was the real deal, this vocal technique, like his echo unit, was a part of what made him so great.

tubro

#107 Post by tubro » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:12 pm

I was at that show, working with the production, watching from on stage, etc. those three pimlico virgin festivals were really well curated and a lot of great music went on there. (Iggy and the Stooges, Amy Winehouse, Wu Tang, dozens of others, etc. big bands but also really well chosen lineups. Richard Bransten spared no expense and the weekends were real good. Anyway, without exaggerating, of every single show i’ve ever seen, and every band i’ve ever seen mail it in and play like they didn’t give a fuck, smashing pumpkins that day were the absolute peak of utter shit. It was laughable.
Which isn’t to say i’ve always found them to suck live. I’ve seen them play quite well a few times. but that day they were the worst.
Hype wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:52 pm
kv wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:43 pm
Times I saw them they were pretty fucking great live :noclue:
Maybe they're hit-or-miss. I was at this show, and the sound was terrible, energy was off... I dunno.

clickie

#108 Post by clickie » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:29 am

tubro wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:03 pm
clickie wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:14 am
It's annoying watching the way Perry pulls the mic from his face constantly like a trombonist
Gotta share a moment about that from when PF was still the great Perry. For relapse at Hammerstein on halloween i was friends with the venue/promoter and got to watch from the opera box right off the floor house right. (If you were on the floor, we were the freaks throwing KitKats and other halloween treats to you.) The summertime rolls mobile stage was a few feet away. I’d seen perry do that microphone thing dozens of times but being a few feet away, with the crowd quiet, i was able to hear his voice directly out of his mouth and also hear it booming thru the PA. The effect of his moving the microphone was spectacular. I’m sure it’s not any good anymore because his voice is so weak. I haven’t seeen a PF show in quite some time now. But back when he was the real deal, this vocal technique, like his echo unit, was a part of what made him so great.

That's around the time period I noticed he started doing it closer but not to the extent he does it now. Like on SNL when they performed Jane Says. I definitely think it's something he does more often as his voice got weaker. I can post an entire show from 91' or earlier where he doesn't do it one time, not even during Jane Says, Summertime Rolls, or Then She Did, and most shows when he does it's barely noticeable. A lot of it depends on the song too and nowadays most his songs fit that softer style with him trying to actually sing instead of just belting out lyrics at the top of his lungs.
I don't consider Perry's voice for relapse Hammerstein still the great Perry anyway but thats a different story.
Here's Perry doing it big time during an old acoustic Ocean Size although some of it might be him getting into the song just as much as for him thinking it's making his voice sound better.

Hype

#109 Post by Hype » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:56 am

tubro wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:12 pm
I was at that show, working with the production, watching from on stage, etc. those three pimlico virgin festivals were really well curated and a lot of great music went on there. (Iggy and the Stooges, Amy Winehouse, Wu Tang, dozens of others, etc. big bands but also really well chosen lineups. Richard Bransten spared no expense and the weekends were real good. Anyway, without exaggerating, of every single show i’ve ever seen, and every band i’ve ever seen mail it in and play like they didn’t give a fuck, smashing pumpkins that day were the absolute peak of utter shit. It was laughable.
Which isn’t to say i’ve always found them to suck live. I’ve seen them play quite well a few times. but that day they were the worst.
Hype wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:52 pm
kv wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:43 pm
Times I saw them they were pretty fucking great live :noclue:
Maybe they're hit-or-miss. I was at this show, and the sound was terrible, energy was off... I dunno.

Glad I wasn't imagining things (or misremembering how I felt 11 years ago). I don't think I was still there for the clip that I shared above -- pretty sure we left before that. But 1979 is one of my favourite songs of any band at any time, but that rendition of it is soulless garbage. Like the time I saw Satellite Party in 2009 do a laptop karaoke cover of Stop! :jasper:

trevor ayer

#110 Post by trevor ayer » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:26 pm

perry lost his sound when he stopped eating the mic ..