Both Eric and Perry are Involved with the Chris Cornell Tribute Concert

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Noonesshocking

Re: Both Eric and Perry are Involved with the Chris Cornell Tribute Concert

#41 Post by Noonesshocking » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:49 am

Eric's appearance at 5:30ish (timestamps don't work well with this site). He's not formally introduced other than "we need a bass player", but you can kinda see him

someguy

#42 Post by someguy » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:51 am

Matz wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:14 am
Noonesshocking wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:15 pm
Fiona Apple
:love:
She was awesome on All Night Thing, and Miley Cyrus was really, really good too.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#43 Post by Hokahey » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:16 pm

Bandit72 wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:57 am
It's a bit laboured....

Just a bit. :lol:

Sev yselfffffff takeitouuuuunameee

Matz

#44 Post by Matz » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:55 pm

man, that sounds pretty bad. Well, it's in standard 440 tuning, poor guy's not used to it. Sounds tuned down to me though

Artemis

#45 Post by Artemis » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:58 pm

Miley Cyrus sounds great!

JOEinPHX

#46 Post by JOEinPHX » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:41 pm

bman wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:42 am
Perry and Morello better combo now than Perry and Dave.
Dave and Morello better combo now than Perry and music.

JOEinPHX

#47 Post by JOEinPHX » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:45 pm

Miley. Damn. Knew it. :rockon:

You guys think she's maybe available to sing for Jane's Addiction?

phenobarb_bambalam

#48 Post by phenobarb_bambalam » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:58 pm

So many mixed feelings about this event. There were some great moments, many not. Although I enjoyed it overall, the whole thing left me pretty cold as it just seemed so divorced from the artists I had known and loved for three decades. It felt more like a barometer of his legacy than a genuine tribute. There were too many artists who actually had little to do with Chris, and this watered down the love. Not to mention notable absences, like Eddie Vedder.

Other than that:

I didn't think Perry was embarrassing, which is a result.

Miley Cyrus...was painful, for me. Yes, she has a voice, but having her sing 'Say Hello to Heaven' bordered on criminal.

EA got a name check from Stone after the had played the song, but was pretty anonymous otherwise.

Chaney was up there for 3-4 songs, I think, and was completely anonymous. Normal service, in other words.

I can't say that I had heard of Taylor Momsen before last night, but she was brilliant. One of the best vocalists of the night, along with Brandi Carlile...whom I know nothing about.

JOEinPHX

#49 Post by JOEinPHX » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:27 pm

phenobarb_bambalam wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:58 pm
There were too many artists who actually had little to do with Chris, and this watered down the love.
To be fair, many of the people who were close to Chris in Seattle are now dead as well.

And keep in mind, just because someone wasn't friends with Chris doesn't mean they weren't supremely influenced by him. This was an opportunity for some relatively well known musicians to pay tribute to him.
Not to mention notable absences, like Eddie Vedder.
He did his tribute in August at his own show. Played a Chris song solo, by himself. Then played another solo acoustic song for Petty.

The guy has never really been high profile.
I can't say that I had heard of Taylor Momsen before last night, but she was brilliant. One of the best vocalists of the night,
She sings for The Pretty Reckless, who are... on record... a pretty straight forward radio rock band.

But I have seen them live, and they are dirty and bluesy and everything good about Rock n Roll.
along with Brandi Carlile...whom I know nothing about.
She was at the Pearl Jam shows in August. She's a friend of the band. She's kind of a newer artist. I wasn't too into what I heard of hers, so never explored it more. But she's aight.

Noonesshocking

#50 Post by Noonesshocking » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:18 pm

phenobarb_bambalam wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:58 pm
So many mixed feelings about this event. There were some great moments, many not. Although I enjoyed it overall, the whole thing left me pretty cold as it just seemed so divorced from the artists I had known and loved for three decades. It felt more like a barometer of his legacy than a genuine tribute. There were too many artists who actually had little to do with Chris, and this watered down the love. Not to mention notable absences, like Eddie Vedder.

Other than that:

I didn't think Perry was embarrassing, which is a result.

Miley Cyrus...was painful, for me. Yes, she has a voice, but having her sing 'Say Hello to Heaven' bordered on criminal.

EA got a name check from Stone after the had played the song, but was pretty anonymous otherwise.

Chaney was up there for 3-4 songs, I think, and was completely anonymous. Normal service, in other words.

I can't say that I had heard of Taylor Momsen before last night, but she was brilliant. One of the best vocalists of the night, along with Brandi Carlile...whom I know nothing about.
What was the vibe like during the soundgarden set? I’m watching the videos and it’s making me sad. Not because it sounds bad, but because it’s just such a reminder of what a loss they endured.

phenobarb_bambalam

#51 Post by phenobarb_bambalam » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:35 am

Six7Six7 wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:27 pm
And keep in mind, just because someone wasn't friends with Chris doesn't mean they weren't supremely influenced by him. This was an opportunity for some relatively well known musicians to pay tribute to him.
Yes, I get that. But it didn't need to be five hours of everyone who wanted to pay tribute paying tribute. I am perfectly happy to say that it was just me who felt that disconnect, but I suspect that's not the case judging by the crowd's ebb and flow. Or maybe I'm just a cunt for thinking Jimmy Kimmel is a smug tosser and didn't want his heroin jokes punctuating the bands.
Noonesshocking wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:18 pm
What was the vibe like during the soundgarden set? I’m watching the videos and it’s making me sad. Not because it sounds bad, but because it’s just such a reminder of what a loss they endured.
The intro was quite moving as the three of them came on and stood in a spotlight centerstage under a huge image of CC. Matt did pretty much all of the talking both during the intro and their 'set'. They sounded as you would expect playing (great), but just came across as being awkward. Completely understandably. I can't imagine what it would have been like for them to play those songs on a stage for the first time since. I actually struggled with the Soundgarden set as it was so jarring to hear the band play those songs as they always have done, with someone else singing his lyrics.

If I am not mistaken, they placed his guitar in stage in its usual spot in front of the drum riser. A nice touch....