Perry Farrell @ City Winery 06/07/2019

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Diabolik

Perry Farrell @ City Winery 06/07/2019

#1 Post by Diabolik » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:57 pm

I went to the first show tonight, The completion into a New Age Liberace Dinner Theater Vegas Cabaret act is complete.

I actually had a fun time. Small setting, band was crowded on a little stage and they all seemed to be having fun. Perry’s voice was a bit shot at times, and some parts were wobbly... but weird drunk Perry into his own thing is the best Perry at this point.

Lots of ramblings in between songs.

Seemed very thankful that fans were into new stuff, and of course the old stuff got massive reactions.

They played most of the new album and some other stuff that the crowd was waiting for, I got some video

Tahitian Moon
https://youtu.be/4ys3JNyXnUo

I Would For You
https://youtu.be/PNDgUoseMPw

I Got a Right
https://youtu.be/kGwIJ0Njv_c

Oceansize
https://youtu.be/ej2PyF2E4co

Didn’t record Pets or Mountain Song ( which they closed with )

Venue was sorta weird, all tables and seats with waiters bringing drinks and food throughout the show. I’ve never been to a dinner theater but I’m guessing this is what it’s like.

I think this is the 14th time I’ve seen Perry in some fashion since 1993. I’m that guy that loves it no matter what.

creep
Site Admin

Re: Perry Farrell @ City Winery 06/07/2019

#2 Post by creep » Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:07 am

bman was right. those dance moves during tahitian moon. :lol:

nice to hear that song though

i wonder if it was planned for etty and her dancers to leave during i would for you? did she leave because there was nothing for them to do or because of the song?

Mescal

#3 Post by Mescal » Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:17 am

I'd think because of the song.

You hear him say 'go get a drink ' :lol:

trevor ayer

#4 Post by trevor ayer » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:47 am

omg .. tahitian moon .. looks like etty was a total bitch and made those 2 singers learn all those dance moves perfectly (and they did) and then etty forgets all of them and does her own stupid thing the whole song .. the stillness of the heads in the audience watching the show says it all .. nobody is bopping along to the song .. they are all just thinking .. what a fucking shitshow this is ..at this point people go just to watch etty and be like .. fuck u etty .. in their head while they try to pretend this isn't all her fault (out of adoration for perry) .. but it is

Diabolik

#5 Post by Diabolik » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:30 am

creep wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:07 am
bman was right. those dance moves during tahitian moon. :lol:

nice to hear that song though

i wonder if it was planned for etty and her dancers to leave during i would for you? did she leave because there was nothing for them to do or because of the song?

Perry went into a whole thing before I Would For You about how he wrote these songs for women he loved, and Etty couldn’t handle when he sang them. He said he’s a performer and even though she hates hearing these songs he wants to play them.

Whole thing was kinda too honest, and yeah he joked she was going to leave the stage and get a drink, while he sang it.

Larry B.

#6 Post by Larry B. » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:51 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Next show we’ll probably hear about the time she slept with someone else or when she was so high on painkillers that she couldn’t drive.

kv

#7 Post by kv » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:39 am

trevor ayer wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:47 am
omg .. tahitian moon .. looks like etty was a total bitch and made those 2 singers learn all those dance moves perfectly (and they did) and then etty forgets all of them and does her own stupid thing the whole song .. the stillness of the heads in the audience watching the show says it all .. nobody is bopping along to the song .. they are all just thinking .. what a fucking shitshow this is ..at this point people go just to watch etty and be like .. fuck u etty .. in their head while they try to pretend this isn't all her fault (out of adoration for perry) .. but it is
I think most people still going have zero clue who etty is...just saw perry was playing and went....99% of my friends who loved janes in the 80's don't know Perry's wife's name...we are in a small bubble of over knowledge about janes...

Diabolik

#8 Post by Diabolik » Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:46 pm

No one except some sad psycho fans know her, and blame her for....upsetting their youth.

There’s probably like 20 people in total that blame Etty for something.

No one at the show seemed to care. One benefit of growing up is you care less about stupid shit.

JOEinPHX

#9 Post by JOEinPHX » Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:14 pm

:lol:

Hokahey
Site Admin

#10 Post by Hokahey » Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:59 pm

Diabolik wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:46 pm
No one except some sad psycho fans know her, and blame her for....upsetting their youth.

There’s probably like 20 people in total that blame Etty for something.

No one at the show seemed to care. One benefit of growing up is you care less about stupid shit.

That's one way to justify blowing money on a bastardized nostalgia act.

Diabolik

#11 Post by Diabolik » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:03 pm

:lolol:

I knew I stopped posting for a reason. This fandom is so toxic.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#12 Post by Hokahey » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:31 am

Diabolik wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:03 pm

Sure, if toxic means honest. If you want to like it, great. But don't whine about our honesty. You even said yourself you'll like what he does no matter what. I mean, that's just blind fandom. Not healthy for you or the artist.

Larry B.

#13 Post by Larry B. » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:47 am

I’ve recently been saying that Kind Heaven has no audience, but after these two messages I’ve realised (genuinely) that I was wrong.

People who admired Perry and will celebrate anything he does are his audience. He will always have a few hundred people who’ll go and “justify” his efforts.

drwintercreeper

#14 Post by drwintercreeper » Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:10 pm

You know, people can also just go to have a good time for the sake of having a good time. Your statement could apply to any artist at any point in time. There is no need to slag all attendees as folks that will lick an artist's boots just to be close their favorite artist. It just comes across as bitter.

That said, I saw the Satellite Karaoke show ten years ago and it was fun enough for the memory. I cannot and will not give this project any time because I find it to be terrible. But that is me. To all you who enjoy it and are going to the show, have a great fucking time and make a great memory of it.

kv

#15 Post by kv » Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:37 pm

:nod: :rockon:

JOEinPHX

#16 Post by JOEinPHX » Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:41 pm

Diabolik wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:03 pm

Janesaddiction.org still exists.

I think there are at least 2 and a half people over there that like what Perry is doing.

Go check them out. :rockon:

jptm

#17 Post by jptm » Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:50 pm

I like how the band has matching outfits; different on both nights, but matching nevertheless...*sarcasm*

I like how he's playing PFP stuff; 'Orgasm' would be great.

His voice is aight to me at this point; we'll see how it hangs on for the tour.

I won't mention the wifey; it's just not worth the energy.

:bored:

Larry B.

#18 Post by Larry B. » Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:36 pm

drwintercreeper wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:10 pm
You know, people can also just go to have a good time for the sake of having a good time. Your statement could apply to any artist at any point in time. There is no need to slag all attendees as folks that will lick an artist's boots just to be close their favorite artist. It just comes across as bitter.
I think I agree with you.

But I wasn’t slagging anyone off, really. I’m not criticising people who check out something to do and sees that Perry is playing someplace near.

Jane’s Addiction had an audience: angsty teenagers, a relatively rebelious youth, etc. Miley Cyrus has an audienxe. U2 had an audience, and their current output is mostly losing them listeners... their new music mostly aims at their long-term fans. Kind Heaven just doesn’t have an audience, except for those people who would follow Perry blindly (regardless of how much they know about his personal life.) The music doesn’t have any sort of appeal and is quite generic; the cover art for the record is lame; visually there is no content, nothing to get excited about. You know what I mean? You can like what you like, that’s cool. But Perry’s output doesn’t really connect with anything or anyone. It’s not as if he’s the only one ‘brave enough’ to criticise the US president nowadays. It was cool when he sang ‘the gang and the government are no different,’ but we lived in a different world back then. And that simple song alone is still more appealing and eye-opening than Kind Heaven. No person has any reason to listen to that album other than “it’s Perry Farrell.”

Thus, the 200 people that might go see Perry are doing exactly that: watching Perry. “But did you like Kind Heaven?” “Ermmmm... it was fun watching Perry.”

JOEinPHX

#19 Post by JOEinPHX » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:23 pm

It's almost false advertising at this point to call himself Perry Farrell.

Perry Farrell was just the character that he played in the 90s.

More accurate... Perry Bernstein presents: The Kind Heaven Family Band Dinner Theater Extravaganza

Stickyfingers

#20 Post by Stickyfingers » Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:55 pm

Larry B. wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:36 pm
drwintercreeper wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:10 pm
I think I agree with you.

But I wasn’t slagging anyone off, really. I’m not criticising people who check out something to do and sees that Perry is playing someplace near.

Jane’s Addiction had an audience: angsty teenagers, a relatively rebelious youth, etc. Miley Cyrus has an audienxe. U2 had an audience, and their current output is mostly losing them listeners... their new music mostly aims at their long-term fans. Kind Heaven just doesn’t have an audience, except for those people who would follow Perry blindly (regardless of how much they know about his personal life.) The music doesn’t have any sort of appeal and is quite generic; the cover art for the record is lame; visually there is no content, nothing to get excited about. You know what I mean? You can like what you like, that’s cool. But Perry’s output doesn’t really connect with anything or anyone. It’s not as if he’s the only one ‘brave enough’ to criticise the US president nowadays. It was cool when he sang ‘the gang and the government are no different,’ but we lived in a different world back then. And that simple song alone is still more appealing and eye-opening than Kind Heaven. No person has any reason to listen to that album other than “it’s Perry Farrell.”

Thus, the 200 people that might go see Perry are doing exactly that: watching Perry. “But did you like Kind Heaven?” “Ermmmm... it was fun watching Perry.”
The target audience is some radical chic people who wants to go dinner at some expensive winery in Manhattan or Santa Monica and listen a musical story about spiritual liberation of the world from all evils.

Funny that this definition was coined for Leonard Bernstein but fits perfectly to Perry as "kind rebel", who builds very sophisticated imaginary stories of universal love but his neighboors hate him because their dogs barks all the time or they bit some neighboor kid...

drifter

#21 Post by drifter » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:37 pm

funny duff played there less than a week before. wonder if they bumped into each other
Duff McKagan 2019-06-01 City Winery, Boston, MA
http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-deta ... ?id=651913
these were the musicans
Duff McKagan - Vocals, Bass, Acoustic guitar
Shooter Jenning - Keyboards, Guitar, Backing Vocals
Jamie Douglass - Drums
John Schreffler - Guitar, Pedal Steel Guitar
Aubrey Richmond - Violin, Vocals
Ted Russell Kamp - Bass