Worst Jane's-related project [poll]

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects

Which of these do you think is the worst?

Banyan
No votes
Dave Navarro - Trust No One
2%
Polar Bear / Eric Avery solo
No votes
Jane's Addiction - Strays
5%
Jane's Addiction - The Great Escape Artist
No votes
Perry Farrell - Kind Heaven
27%
Perry Farrell - Song Yet To Be Sung
No votes
Psi Com
No votes
Satellite Party - Ultra Payloaded
20%
The Panic Channel - (ONe)
45%

Total votes: 44

trevor ayer

Re: Worst Jane's-related project [poll]

#41 Post by trevor ayer » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:19 pm

yeah that spread record is awesome .. polar bear too .. both better than deconstruction (which didn't make the poll) .. i still hold a lot of hatred for strays as the first nail in the coffin (and that it is a wretched listening experience)

Larry B.

#42 Post by Larry B. » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:20 pm

For the last few years, I’ve listened to Deconstruction much more than Jane’s. Its beauty hasn’t been soiled one bit.

JOEinPHX

#43 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:46 pm

Deconstruction is so great

But Why Something Instead Of Nothing... damn. I love that one slightly more. What a cool vibe start to finish.

That's probably the best thing Eric ever did, in my opinion.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#44 Post by Hokahey » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:03 pm

If nothing else, the fact that Iris is on the Deconstruction album makes it my favorite non Jane's Avery album.

You could still so easily hear the magic that Dave and Eric could make together. The 4 of them were lightening in a bottle in that era. Between Ripple and Iris you could hear what that band was evolving in to. They were only getting better in my opinion. Nothing Shocking is an all time classic, but for me, Ritual might be the greatest rock album ever made. And I really feel like had it's proper follow up been made, it would have been absolutely incredible.

cabangbangq

#45 Post by cabangbangq » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:14 pm

Hokahey wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:03 pm
If nothing else, the fact that Iris is on the Deconstruction album makes it my favorite non Jane's Avery album.

You could still so easily hear the magic that Dave and Eric could make together. The 4 of them were lightening in a bottle in that era. Between Ripple and Iris you could hear what that band was evolving in to. They were only getting better in my opinion. Nothing Shocking is an all time classic, but for me, Ritual might be the greatest rock album ever made. And I really feel like had it's proper follow up been made, it would have been absolutely incredible.
Something I've given a lot of thought to is that an argument could be made that each member of Jane's peaked creatively at different times and at no point did their peaks overlap. I think Eric peaked in Jane's during NS/Ritual, Dave peaked in Deconstruction as a guitar player (although the songs he played on were certainly less iconic and memorable than the Jane's records), while Perkins peaked during the self titled P4P album where he was doing some truly batshit stuff on the drums that I've never really heard anyone replicate. It's Perry that's the hard one for me to choose. He benefited immensely from Eric's peak and Dave's synergy with Eric and wrote/sang some really beautiful stuff in Jane's, but I do think that GGU is probably Perry's most interesting creative phase; he's dabbling in electronic music in a way that felt like an outlier compared to his peers in the alt rock scene and GGU doesn't sound like many things I've heard. And then of course, the next thing he does is go on Relapse tour and then meet Etty and thus the (arguable) peak ends spectacularly.

JOEinPHX

#46 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:46 pm

I agree with GGU being Perry's peak.

But Dave... I think the OHM/Spread years. 1995 to like 1999. Just because he was so experimental with what he was doing. Throwing the "kitchen sink" into his guitar playing whether it was tone or style or instrument selection or weird noises and electronics. The dude was fearless with his art.

Eric... Polar Bear. For the same reason OHM/Spread was Dave's peak. Just total experimentation and ALL OF IT was great. And of course Decon/Spread/Polar bear all existed in the same kind of phase for them. It's why it was all so great.

Makes you wonder what a third proper Jane's album would have been with all 4 of those dudes so fucking experimental. It might have been the best album ever recorded.

Fucking heroin. :no:

parklife03

#47 Post by parklife03 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:57 am

I didn't listen to TPC while they were active so I didn't get to know how the "fans" were, but at least it is a well recorded rock album. Sure, it's closer to things like My Chemical Romance and 30STM, but I still prefer that instead of the sex talk and spend the body thing :yikes:

JOEinPHX

#48 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:38 am

You know, after his Tonight Show appearance I can't really say I am surprised by the results.

:lol: