Dave Navarro vinyl collector?

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Mescal

Dave Navarro vinyl collector?

#1 Post by Mescal » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:59 pm

Read this part of an interview with him:

5. He's a big into art and vinyl collecting, and draws huge inspiration from both (10:25): "I'm a massive art collector, and I'm a massive vinyl collector. And I think that there's certainly a connection there. I mean, we're taking about art forms, or genres of art—visual arts and audio arts—that are gifts to the world. That are open to interpretation. That can feel different every time you see it or look at it."

Didn't know he was into vinyl? Anybody have any more info on that?

dannyboy

Re: Dave Navarro vinyl collector?

#2 Post by dannyboy » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:41 am

I think it's quite recent.

I remember that he went to a Roger Waters concert (and bumped into Eric). Later he put on a Pink Floyd album at home via his mp3 home set-up and was disappointed with the sound.

He then went and bought some top-of-the-range audiophile equipment. Maybe his vinyl interest started then.

He did speak about it somewhere, prob on Dark Matter.

Mescal

#3 Post by Mescal » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:56 am

Ha, nice!

Great way to start a vinyl collection.

Mescal

#4 Post by Mescal » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:03 am

You were right Dannyboy.

From a 2017 article:

What’s interesting about asking about it now is that, of course, I hear those songs from time to time, and I play them every night on tour, but it’s been probably 30 years since I’ve listened to it as a record. Just this year, I really got back into vinyl and started collecting old vinyl records. I missed the experience of sitting down with the intentions of listen to an artist and studying it. Taking it out of the sleeve. Looking at the artwork and the liner notes and just listening. I got a hold of Nothing’s Shocking on vinyl and, man, if I can’t tell you the flood of memories that came back. Even takes and versions of songs that didn’t make the album, or the way certain moments made me feel, put me right back in the studio, almost.

What are some other things you discovered or rediscovered by listening on vinyl?

I’ll tell you what, I went to see Roger Waters this year and that brought up so many emotions about music that are so powerful to me. I grew up on that. Pink Floyd is my all time favorite band and David Gilmour is my favorite guitar player of all time. After, I immediately got all the Pink Floyd albums on vinyl and that has lead to a complete rediscovery and appreciation for music that I may have lost touch with many years ago.

dannyboy

#5 Post by dannyboy » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:14 am

Haha! Super!

I'm absolutely terrible at processing and retaining new information. I can read the same fact 50 times and still forget it the next day.

But with weird Janes trivia I can recall quotes from magazines I read 20 years ago!