Dave makes the local CBS affiliate

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Juana

Re: Dave makes the local CBS affiliate

#21 Post by Juana » Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:04 am

kv wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:41 pm
1. Bullshit...there was no 80 mph winds at lax
(It did hit 80 on a mountain top pass in so cal)

2. You live what 5-6 miles from me?

3. If there were 80 mph winds...would you choose a poncho as your garb of choice in such winds?

4. The lax wind was forty mph gusts at 3am...I just read a few articles about it...(1 plane was damaged when a trash can blew into it)

5 Dave was on TV during the day...when it was 60+ in LA
SR wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:09 pm
:lol: You're so weird.

My wife told me. I just asked her. She actually heard 90 mph at LAX. They took my fence down no problem.

It was really cold and really windy.

I don't know where you live, but I live a couple, maybe 3 miles from LAX.

The 'was DN cold' issue is no big deal. He wore a poncho; he may have been cold.
Both of you I just had an inch of snow in my yard a couple weeks ago there is nothing "mild" about this winter

Larry B.

#22 Post by Larry B. » Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:13 am

mockbee wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:27 am
Larry B. wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:08 pm
That’s NOT a fucking poncho.

THAT is a poncho.

Dave is wearing bat wings.
Oh, this is so fortunate this came up...... :nod:

Larry, I have a question for you.
I have wanted to ask you this for years, YEARS....
But I thought it would be culturally insensitive to do so, so I have refrained. :essence:
:noclue:

It was 17 years ago and I was in Newport, RI with my mother-in-law and my wife. We were touring The Breakers, which was one of many summer home mansions owned by Cornelius Vanderbilt. (See below) It was cold, and raining/misting and VERY windy. We were going to tour the inside, but it cost $24.99 a person to get a grounds + inside tour ticket. We had no money at the time, so it was ironic that we would pay a bunch of money to see the inside of some robber baron's old stupid house. And to add insult to injury. they wanted DONATIONS to keep the place up! Ha!....Anyways....back to the story....we all laughed at the prices, and we already walked in via some roped off area and we quickly ducked our heads in one of the grand rooms, and figured we saw enough of the inside anyways.....So a second ticket was available, and this one was $8.00 per person to tour "the grounds", which as you can see below, is NOT very impressive. :no: .......But, we had driven all the way from New York City to see The Breakers (not my idea, by the way) and we had to "see" something, so we got the tickets. I was pissed. So I go to the bathroom and when I come out I see my wife and mother-in-law had toured the gift shop, and they had three small plastic packages with them. I asked them what they were, and they said.....Ponchos. I said, those are NOT ponchos! They pointed to the package and it indeed said "Poncho". I couldn't argue. I said "How much did those cost?!" My mother-in-law said "$10 each"..... I about lost it.......That might not sound like a lot of money for a "poncho" but I knew we were not getting no PONCHO in some small plastic package. And, as I said before, we had NO money.....So we go outside with our "The Grounds" ticket and have to show multiple people our "The Grounds" ticket in order to have the privilege of seeing some gigantic patch of grass. Of course, this was on the INSIDE of the low stone wall, not the OUTSIDE, so the ticket price made a ton of sense............. As you can tell, we were not prepared for the rain and the blustery conditions, thus the "ponchos".... We open the small plastic packages, and just to my chagrin, it appeared we had purchased three large plastic garbage bags with 2.5 holes in each one. It said "BREAKERS" on them in large green letters, I guess so you didn't bring your own garbage sack, and put it over your head and obviously NOT pay for it at the gift shop.....I try to put mine on and have trouble. The hole in the top was too small, so I had to stuff my head through, and what ended up happening was the whole top seam ripped and it ended up to be a tube of a plastic bag. I wore this like a tube top dress with a knot tied at the front, because that's all I could do at this point. And to add insult to injury, there wasn't even a hood..... (Do regular/real ponchos ever have hoods?)........ So we're walking around "The Grounds" in these things and everyone else has their North Face/Marrmot/Helly Hansen GORE-TEX raincoats and expensive umbrellas....We round a corner and some older lady Yelps at the sight of us. She then said "Oh my goodness....you SCARED me in your costumes!" I said wryly "these are ponchos" (were they? WERE THEY?!!) We kept walking. It started getting REALLY windy and our "Ponchos" are having a hell of a time staying in tact. Mine is in tatters and is essentially a giant piece of plastic flapping in the wind behind me, I had to grip onto the right side to keep any part of it still covering me. I am soaking wet at this point and after about 15 minutes we were done. We saw the grounds. We got in our car and went to the Dairy Queen for hamburgers and blizzards.

My question to you Larry is, on that day, was I wearing a Poncho?
Or did we TOTALLY get ripped off? :waits:

:noclue:

:lol:

First of all, I think it’s sweet (and a bit sad) that you didn’t ask before due to possible ‘cultural sensitivities.’ I remember the times when you didn’t have to worry about that before asking a sensible question about someone else’s culture.

I think ponchos originate hereabouts, in the Andes, so I should know what a poncho is... and it sounds like you weren’t wearing a poncho at all. Firstly, a poncho is basically a small (and usually woolen) blanket with a small opening (as a line, not as a circle) in the middle... and that’s it. No hood, no holes for the arms, no pockets, nothing at all.

The Wikipedia article for the poncho has a nice drawing of traditional ponchos, the kind people sometimes wear in the country:

However, the poncho has obviously ‘evolved’ as a fashion garment here and in the developed world... so I can probably sell you a big newspaper, rip it open and tell you it’s a fucking poncho. But if you’re wearing a garbage bag with a hoodie, it’s an overpriced garbage bag.

mockbee

#23 Post by mockbee » Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:27 am

Thank you for clearing that up! :tiphat:
Larry B. wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:13 am

:lol:

First of all, I think it’s sweet (and a bit sad) that you didn’t ask before due to possible ‘cultural sensitivities.’ I remember the times when you didn’t have to worry about that before asking a sensible question about someone else’s culture.
..........that was the joke. :lol: I do think there are instances where people need to be more sensitive, but around here it has got so bad that people have a hard time even opening their mouths around people of other backgrounds.
Larry B. wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:13 am
However, the poncho has obviously ‘evolved’ as a fashion garment here and in the developed world... so I can probably sell you a big newspaper, rip it open and tell you it’s a fucking poncho. But if you’re wearing a garbage bag with a hoodie, it’s an overpriced garbage bag.
That's what I thought. :hehe:

JOEinPHX

#24 Post by JOEinPHX » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:53 pm

Larry B. wrote:

THAT is a poncho.

Dave is wearing bat wings.
Just because his opens in the middle, does not make it not a poncho.

Larry B.

#25 Post by Larry B. » Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:08 am

A fabric rectangle has at least other two names: a cape or a chawl.

Dave’s is definitely not a poncho.

SR

#26 Post by SR » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:46 am

Actually 3. A shawl

Maybe a scarf, or a sarong?

mockbee

#27 Post by mockbee » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:22 am

If you want to be technical, Dave is wearing a shawl.
A shawl is a rectangular/triangular/square larger piece of fabric generally draped over the shoulders or wrapped around the body. It is worn for decorative purposes (to accent an outfit or cover bare shoulders in formal attire), religious purposes, or to keep warm.
There are no holes in the piece of fabric he is wearing. Ponchos have a single hole.

We can blame Matz for all this confusion... :wink:

:wave:

I can understand the initial confusion though... LL Bean is pushing these "Poncho Scarves" which gramatically makes no sense.... :essence: :no:

:confused:

Larry B.

#28 Post by Larry B. » Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:30 pm

SR wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:46 am
Actually 3. A shawl

Maybe a scarf, or a sarong?
Fuck... that’s what I meant by “chawl.”

SR

#29 Post by SR » Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:04 pm

I know!

Matz

#30 Post by Matz » Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:48 pm

Larry B. wrote:

THAT is a poncho.
:lolol:

I stand corrected, by you and Six7. Odd fuckin choice though, it's like a mix between a cardigan and a poncho or something. A "Carcho" maybe, dunno!? Wtf wear that when you have this, dude?!

mockbee

#31 Post by mockbee » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:47 pm

mockbee wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:22 am
If you want to be technical, Dave is wearing a shawl.
A shawl is a rectangular/triangular/square larger piece of fabric generally draped over the shoulders or wrapped around the body. It is worn for decorative purposes (to accent an outfit or cover bare shoulders in formal attire), religious purposes, or to keep warm.
There are no holes in the piece of fabric he is wearing. Ponchos have a single hole.

Larry B.

#32 Post by Larry B. » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:53 am

A carcho :lolol: :lolol:

parklife03

#33 Post by parklife03 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:05 am

Larry B. wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:53 am
A carcho :lolol: :lolol:
The funny thing is that almost no one here (Argentina or Chile, at least) wears a poncho now. Right, Larry?

Larry B.

#34 Post by Larry B. » Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:23 am

Yeah... at least in Chile, only peasants and hipsters, and people way down south in the Patagonia.

In Peru and Bolivia they’re still pretty common, though.