IG Live

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
kv

Re: IG Live

#21 Post by kv » Thu May 07, 2020 3:04 pm

:lolol:

Nobody gives a fuck anymore people...the kids have all had their shot at tired old Perry at lolla and Coachella...been caught and Jane's says are 30+ years old novelty hits...they aren't bringing in shit...they torched their legacy...I was one of their biggest fans...I'd never recommend ANYONE see them now...I'm not sharing info..."hey guys Jane's is coming let's go get Tix" NOT

we are their mostly radio silent fanbase...it's over jonny

SR

#22 Post by SR » Thu May 07, 2020 3:15 pm

I think I have lost count of all the JA shows I have seen. I will say that my least favorite show was NINJA. EA was phoning it in, completely...and I think PF was overdoing the Liberace thing to compensate. I was really disappointed as I was so excited to take my kiddo to the 1.0 lineup.

I did enjoy the NS show at the Sunset Music Fest. I met LizWiz and Skorb at that one, and once they came on I just flipped....right back to my mid 20's self. They weren't the old Jane's but thse songs :yikes: . Plus the environment was great, Sunset Strip shut down and all the bars and restaurants open.

I'd see them again if the conditions were right. But who knows wtf is going to happen to concert/concert going moving forward. The owner of The Troubadour in Hollywood was quoted as saying he has real concerns about becoming a "footnote in history"

Tyler Durden

#23 Post by Tyler Durden » Thu May 07, 2020 3:29 pm

kv wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 3:04 pm
:lolol:

Nobody gives a fuck anymore people...the kids have all had their shot at tired old Perry at lolla and Coachella...been caught and Jane's says are 30+ years old novelty hits...they aren't bringing in shit...they torched their legacy...I was one of their biggest fans...I'd never recommend ANYONE see them now...I'm not sharing info..."hey guys Jane's is coming let's go get Tix" NOT

we are their mostly radio silent fanbase...it's over jonny
Again, I don't care for Jane's 2.0, Chaney's Addiction, or whatever you wanna call them...but your statement above has been reiterated over and over again by people here and on xiola.org for like 15 years. Even when you take NIN/JA out of the equation, the band still manages to attract ticket buyers in halls/theatres...and ampitheatres when they're paired with a marginally popular, washed up band comparable to them (like when they played with Alice In Chains a few years ago). Pair them with STP or Faith No More or The Black Crowes or Bush or some other washed up band from the 90s you're likely to mostly fill ampitheatres for a month or so in the summer. We might not care to see it...but lots of dormant fans would show up.

The point is, once an artist makes it to a certain level of fame, they're kind of "golden" and a market of some kind will always exist. If there was no COVID-19, I'm sure someone would've booked 311, POD, Marcy Playground, and Seven Mary Three to play some summer package tour of some sort. Implying that Jane's can't play a headlining hall/theatre tour is delusional.

kv

#24 Post by kv » Thu May 07, 2020 5:14 pm

Or is it? They can headline...they can arena they can do it all, except selling the seats... which they are horrible at doing now...even in la where they used to be able to sell out anything...

But sure they can headline half empty spots np...

Artemis

#25 Post by Artemis » Thu May 07, 2020 6:34 pm

In the IG Live Etty mentioned that she's working on a Doris Day cover. I was a little surprised by that. I didn't think DD would be Etty's cup of tea.

I think it would be a good song for her.

Tyler Durden

#26 Post by Tyler Durden » Thu May 07, 2020 7:40 pm

kv wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 5:14 pm
Or is it? They can headline...they can arena they can do it all, except selling the seats... which they are horrible at doing now...even in la where they used to be able to sell out anything...

But sure they can headline half empty spots np...
I said they could headline halls/theatres that hold about 2,500 people, not arenas that hold about 20,000. If they shared the stage on a package tour of ampitheatres (that hold about 15,000), they could do it (as stated above, with some other washed up 90s bands).

kv

#27 Post by kv » Thu May 07, 2020 8:08 pm

I know what you said....I'm saying big, small, it doesn't fucking matter it would be half full :tiphat:

Tyler Durden

#28 Post by Tyler Durden » Thu May 07, 2020 9:13 pm

kv wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 8:08 pm
I know what you said....I'm saying big, small, it doesn't fucking matter it would be half full :tiphat:
:lol: Amphitheatres, yes...half full. A hall/theatre, I think could sell out.

kv

#29 Post by kv » Thu May 07, 2020 9:44 pm

Prob is they are fucking stupid dude....if it's a small place tickets will be way too fucking expensive to sell out...be some Perry dinner theater shit with a 38 minute set...you know these people....it's a fucking train wreck...if they had a good selling club tour they'd bump it to bigger spots and watch it undersell...they are too fucking greedy....taking the wife on tour, separate buses, first class, COULD it be good? Sure.....will it ever be? Fuck no!

Larry B.

#30 Post by Larry B. » Fri May 08, 2020 5:49 am

The last time they played in Buenos Aires it was embarrassing. They were going to play in a place for around 5,000 people, they sold an extremely low number of tickets, so they had to change the venue to a fucking basketball court. Even then, it was about half full at best and the doors were just open. It was like “please let us have someone to play for.” A cousin was there, big fan, and he told me how sad and pathetic it all felt.

Tyler Durden

#31 Post by Tyler Durden » Fri May 08, 2020 7:38 am

Larry B. wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 5:49 am
The last time they played in Buenos Aires it was embarrassing. They were going to play in a place for around 5,000 people, they sold an extremely low number of tickets, so they had to change the venue to a fucking basketball court. Even then, it was about half full at best and the doors were just open. It was like “please let us have someone to play for.” A cousin was there, big fan, and he told me how sad and pathetic it all felt.
I'm honestly surprised that there was ever a market for the band in South America. They're not "metal" enough...they were always art fags (I mean that in a complimentary way).

SR

#32 Post by SR » Fri May 08, 2020 8:44 am

Yeah, I was thinking that there has to be a business model or plan based on projections somewhere, right. I mean a band or performer must know where there market is. How in the world can JA be playing a 1/2 empty bball court. I mean, seriously....who got fired?

Tyler Durden

#33 Post by Tyler Durden » Fri May 08, 2020 9:08 am

SR wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 8:44 am
Yeah, I was thinking that there has to be a business model or plan based on projections somewhere, right. I mean a band or performer must know where there market is. How in the world can JA be playing a 1/2 empty bball court. I mean, seriously....who got fired?
Oh, in the music industry, there most certainly has to be "analysts" who measure what markets an artist is popular in or able to find growth in.

kv

#34 Post by kv » Fri May 08, 2020 9:23 am

"Perry, don't forget...I'm from over seas, I know the world better than this guy ever could....let's drop him and fly first class more!"

Tyler Durden

#35 Post by Tyler Durden » Fri May 08, 2020 9:27 am

kv wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 9:23 am
"Perry, don't forget...I'm from over seas, I know the world better than this guy ever could....let's drop him and fly first class more!"
Is this Etty talking about Eric? Martyn?

Larry B.

#36 Post by Larry B. » Fri May 08, 2020 10:11 am

SR wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 8:44 am
It must've been near Lollapalooza in Argentina or something like that. I even hope so. Imagine them traveling all the way down here to play in front of about 600 people.

Pandemonium

#37 Post by Pandemonium » Fri May 08, 2020 2:00 pm

Hype wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 10:40 am
Yeah, I'm sorry, Ministry is way bigger worldwide than JA is now.

In 2001, they couldn't *give away* tickets to see JA in Toronto -- I think they only had a few thousand people out of a possible 15,000+ at the Air Canada Centre. And that was nearly 20 years ago, a decade after they first broke up, and people still loved P4P.

Now? Not a chance they could play a stadium in Toronto, or pretty much any other major city. They might sell two nights at a 1500 seat venue, maybe, but even that seems doubtful.

Danzig? Nah. But Ministry are still beloved and have a really large cult following even among younger folks. Not enough to chart very highly or anything like that (rock/guitar music is dead anyway), but still...
I'm honestly mystified by Ministry's level of popularity these days. I guess they've become the AC/DC or Ramones of industrial music - they've cranked out more or less the same album every few years over the past two decades.

As for Danzig, I think he rode that Misfits gravy train right at the very last minute in a rather smart way of just scattered shows here and there instead of some brutal, long tour. His own shit, such as the Elvis covers project is going to sink without a trace thanks to what's going on now with Covid.

Tyler Durden

#38 Post by Tyler Durden » Fri May 08, 2020 4:36 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 2:00 pm
I'm honestly mystified by Ministry's level of popularity these days. I guess they've become the AC/DC or Ramones of industrial music - they've cranked out more or less the same album every few years over the past two decades.
They're not THAT popular as far as playing big shows...they're back to playing the same sized venues before 1992. But I think I can explain their longevity despite churning out the same shit over and over again. While it seems "alternative" audiences may have left them behind long ago...it looks like the metal audience continued to embrace them over the years, fully adopting them. That audience is a loyal bunch and will never abandon an artist, no matter how ugly things get. Which is a great segue for Danzig...
Pandemonium wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 2:00 pm
As for Danzig, I think he rode that Misfits gravy train right at the very last minute in a rather smart way of just scattered shows here and there instead of some brutal, long tour. His own shit, such as the Elvis covers project is going to sink without a trace thanks to what's going on now with Covid.
The Misfits are making crazy money through the occasional show every so often. And fans from all over the place fly in for these. It's like the Grateful Dead or Pearl Jam of punk.

COVID-19 will have zero impact on Danzig's Elvis album. He's past his prime and been making extremely average (at best) albums for over 20 years now...but that hasn't stopped his psychotically loyal fan base from lapping up everything he releases. Seriously, they're like comic book collectors or Star Wars fans. Danzig Sings Elvis has already been pressed on 10 different colours of vinyl (I shit you not) and all of it is selling out. Misfits/Samhain/Danzig fans are obsessive completists who buy multiple copies of each variation of an album.

Tyler Durden

#39 Post by Tyler Durden » Fri May 08, 2020 4:44 pm

Seriously, Danzig/Samhain/Misfits fans are "fanatical" (read psycho)...
Attachments
IMG-1211.JPG
IMG-1211.JPG (70.5 KiB) Viewed 11360 times
IMG-1213.JPG
IMG-1213.JPG (86.13 KiB) Viewed 11360 times
IMG-1214.JPG
IMG-1214.JPG (82.79 KiB) Viewed 11360 times

Hype

#40 Post by Hype » Fri May 08, 2020 5:44 pm

I know they like T-Shirts. But I don't know if there are more of them than people who go to Ministry shows. :noclue:

Tyler Durden

#41 Post by Tyler Durden » Fri May 08, 2020 6:59 pm

Hype wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 5:44 pm
I know they like T-Shirts. But I don't know if there are more of them than people who go to Ministry shows. :noclue:
If you're talking about the band Danzig, they play the same kind of venues that Ministry does in Toronto (Danforth Music Hall, REBEL, The Phoenix, etc). If you're talking about the Misfits reunion shows w/Danzig, way bigger than Ministry.

trevor ayer

#42 Post by trevor ayer » Sun May 10, 2020 12:52 pm

I saw danzig a couple years ago .. he is one of my faves from misfits to samhain to danzig .. i even had some of his shitty instrumental albums for a while .. i never saw any of his bands my whole life and he was coming close enough and i swear it was one of the best shows i have ever seen .. still etched in my memory .. i thought it was gonna suck cuz i am a big fan of chuck erie and john christ .. the classic danzig line up .. and i am sure that may have been a better show .. but having never seen that .. this one blew me away .. heavy on the how the gods kill material .. everyone signing every song .. threw in a lot of lucifuge too .. sang great!!!! .. danzig is like a great wrestler .. just living the gimmick and still kinda pulling it off for an old guy

Diabolik

#43 Post by Diabolik » Sun May 10, 2020 2:04 pm

As a fan of all those bands here’s my 2cents

Danzig does have that hardcore fanbase, and Misfits shows we’re bigger than anything JA or Ministry have done in 30 years.

Ministry seem to survive on pure volume. Al’s output is amazing. It’s the same thing over and over—but he’s always got something to tour on. New songs are always in the set. Venues are the same as Danzig or JA, but Ministry is a functioning band. Danzig when he’s touring lately is all nostalgia, just like JA.

Jane’s are just...even during TGEA era they seems like they were barely a band. Since then it’s just...it is what it is. I’m hardwired to see them if they play, but it’s not good. I saw those Perry Kind Heaven shows and as a curiosity is was fine but it was cringe as fuck

I have this prediction that Jane’s might your again maybe next summer ( if there are concerts ) as a package deal opening for the RHCP. Not sure why I think that—but makes a certain sense to me. Though it’s probably better if RHCP get a new band to open with them—someone like Idles or something.

I’m rambling...

Hokahey
Site Admin

#44 Post by Hokahey » Sun May 10, 2020 2:53 pm

Diabolik wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 2:04 pm
As a fan of all those bands here’s my 2cents

Danzig does have that hardcore fanbase, and Misfits shows we’re bigger than anything JA or Ministry have done in 30 years.

Ministry seem to survive on pure volume. Al’s output is amazing. It’s the same thing over and over—but he’s always got something to tour on. New songs are always in the set. Venues are the same as Danzig or JA, but Ministry is a functioning band. Danzig when he’s touring lately is all nostalgia, just like JA.

Jane’s are just...even during TGEA era they seems like they were barely a band. Since then it’s just...it is what it is. I’m hardwired to see them if they play, but it’s not good. I saw those Perry Kind Heaven shows and as a curiosity is was fine but it was cringe as fuck

I have this prediction that Jane’s might your again maybe next summer ( if there are concerts ) as a package deal opening for the RHCP. Not sure why I think that—but makes a certain sense to me. Though it’s probably better if RHCP get a new band to open with them—someone like Idles or something.

I’m rambling...
I have a very strong suspicion that Jane's and RHCP were getting ready to tour together. I'm barely a fan of either band anymore and yet I'd have been there with bells on.

Noonesshocking

#45 Post by Noonesshocking » Sun May 10, 2020 3:15 pm

I too think that there was gonna be some packaged thing with RHCP. Probably shitcanned now. Weirdly enough, there was more acknowledgment of Eric on their social media accounts than there had been in years.

If it happened and Eric was involved, I’d absolutely pay top dollar for good seats, as dumb as that sounds.