Dave ripping Eric in 2013

Discussion regarding Jane's Addiction news and associated projects
Tyler Durden

Dave ripping Eric in 2013

#1 Post by Tyler Durden » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:50 pm

I'm sure this was discussed at the time here (I don't remember)...but this always struck me a little odd. While Dave makes some fair points (Where's all of Eric's brilliant recordings?), I don't recall Eric trashing everyone in Jane's in Sonny's interview (unless he means convos with industry people that we weren't privy to).

Anyway, weren't Dave and Eric seen together or didn't they work together in some capacity since this?

https://loudwire.com/dave-navarro-rips- ... 20Navarro.

someguy

Re: Dave ripping Eric in 2013

#2 Post by someguy » Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:24 pm

That sonny interview has not aged well at all lol

Yeah they have seen each other since- I remember they ran into each at a Roger Waters concert since a few years back.

I’ve been thinking lately with all the social media posts with Eric maybe there’s some good will again. That Embrace the Darkness clip sounded really cool so it’d be great if somehow they could give it another go and actually write new material.

Tyler Durden

#3 Post by Tyler Durden » Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:32 pm

someguy wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:24 pm
In what sense?

Noonesshocking

#4 Post by Noonesshocking » Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:06 pm

Dave going off in 2013 was some funny shit. I was also a little confused though because Eric really didn't go after Dave in the Xiola interview.

At the time the Sonny interview dropped, I thought it was amazingly epic. And it still is, but I don't really see Eric as the infallible hero anymore. He definitely got carried away during it and now he comes off pretty bad to me at certain points. Like he got mad at Perry because he did a DJ set while the band was in pre-production for the Reznor sessions. Alright man, chill out. A.) he was probably contractually obligated to do it and B.) no one was watching that shit thinking it was Jane's.

I also now think he gave up way too easily on new music. You don't reunite after 18 years and expect to go into a studio for two weeks and have it be effortless. Perry should have listened to this shit they were sending him, but they also probably should have just regrouped after NINJA and worked for at least a year on new stuff consistently.

At a certain point, even though his gripes are the same as ours, it comes off as mean. Idk.

Probably the biggest mistake both of them made was thinking they could just do the band and not hash shit out. If they do end up working together again, the absolutely need to resolve the personal shit. Always thought it was interesting that there was simmering tension the whole time, but since they were basically neighbors at the time they'd drive to rehearsals together.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#5 Post by Hokahey » Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:32 pm

That interview never set real well with me. I'm sure Eric has to regret it on some level. He came across as a little pretentious. And of all platforms to air your grievances.

Tyler Durden

#6 Post by Tyler Durden » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:00 pm

Noonesshocking wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:06 pm

Probably the biggest mistake both of them made was thinking they could just do the band and not hash shit out. If they do end up working together again, the absolutely need to resolve the personal shit. Always thought it was interesting that there was simmering tension the whole time, but since they were basically neighbors at the time they'd drive to rehearsals together.
This. Even during the NME performance, you could feel a level of tension and unease.

The Sonny interview was super awkward and inappropriate when it dropped and still is. Same as it ever was.

someguy

#7 Post by someguy » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:07 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:32 pm
someguy wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:24 pm
In what sense?

It has some cool insight but just as an adult now some of his gripes seem silly to me. Would’ve been cooler if it had been the original concept of people just asking broader questions (I.e. deconstruction, polar bear etc) and not making it personal

If he really wanted to explore what could happen creatively, Perry’s idea of writing a few days a week for a year seemed better than trying to cram in music right before a big tour.

Tyler Durden

#8 Post by Tyler Durden » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:11 pm

someguy wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:07 pm

If he really wanted to explore what could happen creatively, Perry’s idea of writing a few days a week for a year seemed better than trying to cram in music right before a big tour.
Definitely. It's actually a pet peeve of mine when bands do that. You can totally hear that the process was rushed.

Charles

#9 Post by Charles » Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:44 pm

Hokahey wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:32 pm
That interview never set real well with me. I'm sure Eric has to regret it on some level. He came across as a little pretentious. And of all platforms to air your grievances.
Bingo

dharma bum

#10 Post by dharma bum » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:56 am

Don’t underestimate it, that’s how Eric became the foreskin of Jane’s Addiction, after all. Foreskin - real head; see the genius use of metaphor. What a great lyric.

//Dharma

Larry B.

#11 Post by Larry B. » Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:18 pm

I loved that interview.