Yes
22%
No
78%

Total votes: 18

Tyler Durden

Great Escape Artist followup

#1 Post by Tyler Durden » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:59 pm

Remember not long after The Great Escape Artist was released that Perry started talking about the band making another record. Fast forward 8-9 years and nothing. :lol:

https://loudwire.com/janes-addiction-pe ... ng-record/

someguy

Re: Great Escape Artist followup

#2 Post by someguy » Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:27 pm

When I saw Perkins at a drum clinic, he mentioned that if he had his druthers they’d go to Dave Grohl’s studio, just the four of them, and hash out music. I like that idea and it’d be cool if they could rope in Eric

Hokahey
Site Admin

#3 Post by Hokahey » Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:06 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:59 pm
Remember not long after The Great Escape Artist was released that Perry started talking about the band making another record. Fast forward 8-9 years and nothing. :lol:

https://loudwire.com/janes-addiction-pe ... ng-record/

I don't care to hear any new music from them unless it is with Eric.

I would however pay a decent price to see that stripped down version of Janes we saw for lolla playing their obscure stuff. Obviously I'd prefer Eric for that as well, but I'd pay to see live what they just aired.

And I think Perry has been promising multiple albums worth of music just around the corner his entire career. But I'm going to guess that all his horrible solo songs and kind heaven Songs were what he was referring to. And the other guys probably didn't have a lot of interest in jumping into the studio to record that crap.

Tyler Durden

#4 Post by Tyler Durden » Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:40 pm

Given Perry's track record, I knew we'd never see/hear it when he first made mention of another album. I just thought it was hilarious at the time and a way to save face...because in my mind, it was pretty damn obvious that the only reason TGEA was even made was because of the interview Eric did with Sonny. It was like Perry was trying to prove something..."Hey! Look! We can be a band without him!" kind of vibe.

Still waiting on that Gobbalee album. :lol:

Hokahey
Site Admin

#5 Post by Hokahey » Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:49 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:40 pm
I've got good news for you. It came out almost 20 years ago called Song yet to Be Sung.

Tyler Durden

#6 Post by Tyler Durden » Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:55 pm

Hokahey wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:49 pm
Tyler Durden wrote:
I've got good news for you. It came out almost 20 years ago called Song yet to Be Sung.
Wasn't it supposed to be a separate project?

nausearockpig

#7 Post by nausearockpig » Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:40 pm

fuck me you lot, don't you remember that PF said that he/they had three or eight albums worth of killer music in the can ready to go? Man, they will be GREAT!!!!! Coming to your ears soon.. nowish.. or maybe in a bit. But yeah, just SOOO good.

Charles

#8 Post by Charles » Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:58 pm

Hokahey wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:
:lolol:

Hokahey
Site Admin

#9 Post by Hokahey » Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:15 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:55 pm
Hokahey wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:
Wasn't it supposed to be a separate project?
The songs they performed as Gobalee became the songs on that album. Stephen and Perry had a falling out around '99 and Perry turned it in to a solo endeavor. They had made up again before he finished, hence Perk playing on the title track.

Tyler Durden

#10 Post by Tyler Durden » Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:47 am

Hokahey wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:15 pm

The songs they performed as Gobalee became the songs on that album. Stephen and Perry had a falling out around '99 and Perry turned it in to a solo endeavor. They had made up again before he finished, hence Perk playing on the title track.
Yeah, I vaguely remember this now. I was shocked at the rift (seemingly their first) between Perk and Perry.

guysmiley

#11 Post by guysmiley » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:01 am

Forgot about all that. Is there a maybe option? Seems the money to record isn't there. They would have to do it for the love of it.

clickie

#12 Post by clickie » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:15 am

Perry just puts a halt on everything while the rest of the band are ready to record. It's a miracle Strays even got made but that written on the tour bus

trevor ayer

#13 Post by trevor ayer » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:27 am

at a drum clinic perky said when he got to the studio perry just wanted perk to hit a few fills and cymbal crashes .. not actually be a band .. perk told him off and left .. perk got songwriting credit on admit i (one of the best songs on sytbs) but did not actually play on it which is too bad .. i always thought nua nua would make a great chip away style janes tune .. speaking of credits .. opening the janes lolla with a shot of chris is right up there with giving flea kettle credits on the cabinet box .. just wrong in every way .. i don't understand how they keep playing with a guy so devoid of personality stage presence or even life like bass playing.. even tho lolla was likely auto tuned it was ok but perrys voice really sounds bad these days .. its not cuz it is gravely or old but because he a. sings like a douche bag lounge singer holding the mic with 3 fingertips and pulling it away from his face like dionne warwick or some other bloated ego of a "classy singer" and b. he completely discarded his signature vocal delivery and sound .. none or barely any delay effects where as he used to use the delay as another instrument looping at different tones while the band pummeled behind it all .. its like if dave stopped playing guitar and just played all the songs on a keyboard from now on kinda like how perry butchered ziggy stardust using only a piano .. and c. he adds all those grunts and vocal embelishments like he thinks he is norah jones and everybody is orgasming to his breathy delivery .. if perry went back to eating the fucking mic and layering on the delay and if etty was banned from his life for the entirety of the new albums creation than maybe it might not be a flaming turd like the last 2 albums .. or 5 or 6 if you count all his other shit stain projects .. considering even trent reznor butchered the janes sound i have zero hope that anything from these guys will even be worth the initial listen ..

Mescal

#14 Post by Mescal » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:01 am

trevor ayer wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:27 am
at a drum clinic perky said when he got to the studio perry just wanted perk to hit a few fills and cymbal crashes .. not actually be a band .. perk told him off and left .. perk got songwriting credit on admit i (one of the best songs on sytbs) but did not actually play on it which is too bad .. i always thought nua nua would make a great chip away style janes tune .. speaking of credits .. opening the janes lolla with a shot of chris is right up there with giving flea kettle credits on the cabinet box .. just wrong in every way .. i don't understand how they keep playing with a guy so devoid of personality stage presence or even life like bass playing.. even tho lolla was likely auto tuned it was ok but perrys voice really sounds bad these days .. its not cuz it is gravely or old but because he a. sings like a douche bag lounge singer holding the mic with 3 fingertips and pulling it away from his face like dionne warwick or some other bloated ego of a "classy singer" and b. he completely discarded his signature vocal delivery and sound .. none or barely any delay effects where as he used to use the delay as another instrument looping at different tones while the band pummeled behind it all .. its like if dave stopped playing guitar and just played all the songs on a keyboard from now on kinda like how perry butchered ziggy stardust using only a piano .. and c. he adds all those grunts and vocal embelishments like he thinks he is norah jones and everybody is orgasming to his breathy delivery .. if perry went back to eating the fucking mic and layering on the delay and if etty was banned from his life for the entirety of the new albums creation than maybe it might not be a flaming turd like the last 2 albums .. or 5 or 6 if you count all his other shit stain projects .. considering even trent reznor butchered the janes sound i have zero hope that anything from these guys will even be worth the initial listen ..
Yep , I pretty much agree with this.

I was afraid to say it since everybody was being so enthousiastic.

I also thought Perry had lost all the edge in his voice. He's hardly a wailing banshee anymore.

Larry B.

#15 Post by Larry B. » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:30 am

Exact +1 with Mescal. Didn’t want to say anything because the reaction was mostly positive from my dear ANR’ers. For me, what they did has no real redeeming qualities.

Tyler Durden

#16 Post by Tyler Durden » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:43 am

I've stayed silent on the P4P and Jane's performances at Lolla 2020. Old news: Perry continues to be the weak link. But it was nice to see them pull out "I Would For You", of all songs. And Dave is bringing it.

All that aside, fuck Chris Chaney. I don't give a shit how great a session player he is or how he's a nice guy. He's boring as fuck with zero presence or charisma. Eric, Flea, Martyn...hell, even Duff on some level, are worthy of being in an incarnation of Jane's Addiction. But Chaney sucks, period. :flip:

Diabolik

#17 Post by Diabolik » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:32 pm

I’ve come to the conclusion that Chaney is the everything Jane’s Addiction is now—he may have even let Perry to shape it into its final form. Installing that guy and going to him repeatedly sends a message.

Chaney and the band are

Non threatening, capable, almost look the part, performs what’s required, gets paid.

Rinse and repeat

phenobarb_bambalam

#18 Post by phenobarb_bambalam » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:55 pm

Diabolik wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:32 pm
I’ve come to the conclusion that Chaney is the everything Jane’s Addiction is now—he may have even let Perry to shape it into its final form. Installing that guy and going to him repeatedly sends a message.

Chaney and the band are

Non threatening, capable, almost look the part, performs what’s required, gets paid.

Rinse and repeat
And lampooned less so for being bad than being a second...third...fourth rate of what should be there.

parklife03

#19 Post by parklife03 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:32 pm

Well, here's what I think:

-I would love to have a follow-up to TGEA. I think it's a pretty good album, even with it flaws. I always prefer having the bands that I love releasing albums.

Having said that...

-I would like it if it has a rock vibe. No female vocals, no corky songs (like some of the KHO album, and even Satellite). Pirate Punk Politician is a nice song, I would like an album with that "quality". I don't ask for more.

-I don't think PF is the weak link, but DN. We all know that PF "revives" Jane's when he wants, but at least he's stil making music. Like it or not, he released a new studio album last year and was going to tour it over the world in 2020. So he's still insterested in making music (I repeat, I don't like KHO).

But DN? I can't see passion from him. He seems to be not interested in music at all. And if he's happy, that's fine for me.

-SP loves to play and is the core that drives the band. Imagine what would be if he had DN/PF kind of ego...

-Chris is the perfect fit for Jane's now. Sometimes bands require an easy-going guy, fillling the shoes and not being a showman (again, egos). I think he would have more stage presence if he were allowed.

Also I don't want ant kind of reference from/to Etty on this possible record. It's impossible, I know. I'm just dreaming.

Larry B.

#20 Post by Larry B. » Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:27 am

The only reason for a follow-up is the excellent possibility of naming it The Greatest Gay Parties, which would cause all sorts of funny misunderstandings in the 3 or 4 record shops that would have JA records.

cabangbangq

#21 Post by cabangbangq » Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:29 am

parklife03 wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:32 pm

-I would love to have a follow-up to TGEA. I think it's a pretty good album, even with it flaws. I always prefer having the bands that I love releasing albums.

Having said that...

-I would like it if it has a rock vibe. No female vocals, no corky songs (like some of the KHO album, and even Satellite). Pirate Punk Politician is a nice song, I would like an album with that "quality". I don't ask for more.

-I don't think PF is the weak link, but DN. We all know that PF "revives" Jane's when he wants, but at least he's stil making music. Like it or not, he released a new studio album last year and was going to tour it over the world in 2020. So he's still insterested in making music (I repeat, I don't like KHO).

But DN? I can't see passion from him. He seems to be not interested in music at all. And if he's happy, that's fine for me.

-SP loves to play and is the core that drives the band. Imagine what would be if he had DN/PF kind of ego...

-Chris is the perfect fit for Jane's now. Sometimes bands require an easy-going guy, fillling the shoes and not being a showman (again, egos). I think he would have more stage presence if he were allowed.

Also I don't want ant kind of reference from/to Etty on this possible record. It's impossible, I know. I'm just dreaming.
It makes me sad to say but I think Perk has been the weak link in Strays and TGEA. I'm not sure why, but it does feel like Perk is less bouncy and takes less risks than he did in his prime. Perk's playing on Strays is pretty by the books. That may be the influence of Bob Ezrin, who wanted Jane's to be a "rock" band and is on the record as hating Ritual. But songs like True Nature and Wrong Girl both have enough groove and things going on that you can imagine them being early Jane's era songs, but Perk barely changes throughout the song. In both of them, he rides the same open hi hat groove pretty much the entire time and doesn't even switch when he goes to the chorus in either song. Whores has a similarly repetitive structure, but at least there, Perk does some fill work in the "chorus." Nothing like that on Strays. TGEA is a bit more interesting, thankfully, but those songs feel like Jane's like to me than what's on Strays.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#22 Post by Hokahey » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:50 am

cabangbangq wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:29 am
parklife03 wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:32 pm

Having said that...

It makes me sad to say but I think Perk has been the weak link in Strays and TGEA. I'm not sure why, but it does feel like Perk is less bouncy and takes less risks than he did in his prime. Perk's playing on Strays is pretty by the books. That may be the influence of Bob Ezrin, who wanted Jane's to be a "rock" band and is on the record as hating Ritual. But songs like True Nature and Wrong Girl both have enough groove and things going on that you can imagine them being early Jane's era songs, but Perk barely changes throughout the song. In both of them, he rides the same open hi hat groove pretty much the entire time and doesn't even switch when he goes to the chorus in either song. Whores has a similarly repetitive structure, but at least there, Perk does some fill work in the "chorus." Nothing like that on Strays. TGEA is a bit more interesting, thankfully, but those songs feel like Jane's like to me than what's on Strays.
I think that's true of all of them. They made a conscious decision to make more mainstream sounding rock.

I've said it a million times, but when they broke up in 2004, the rest of the band said they thought they could be Aerosmith without Perry holding them back. Then you got Panic Channel.

I think Perry wanted that too as some point, but he's too goofy to sell out correctly.

Larry B.

#23 Post by Larry B. » Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:43 am

Hokahey wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:50 am
I think Perry wanted that too as some point, but he's too goofy to sell out correctly.
:lol: :lol: That's so fucking true.

And I'd find it hard to believe that Perkins has been playing so standardly only because of Ezrin. To me, someone who actually studied him quite profoundly at some point, it feels like he just ran out of patterns to play. It was already happening in the original albums (Had a Dad and Pigs in Zen are basically the same; Been Caught Stealing and Standing in the Shower; the fast sections of Ted and No One's Leaving; etc.), but now he just ran out. In Porno For Pyros, the greater variety of drums and percussion items helped him come up with beautiful stuff, but back to a standard drum set there's not much else for him to do. Although I love Banyan's second album, most of those drum patterns are as standard Perk as you'd get. Price I Pay was, to me, the last outstanding drum pattern he came up with. So cool. After that, it's 33% Stephen Perkins, 33% Radio-Friendly Unnamed Rock Drummer and 33% Larry Müllen Jr.

cabangbangq

#24 Post by cabangbangq » Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:29 pm

Larry B. wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:43 am
Hokahey wrote:

And I'd find it hard to believe that Perkins has been playing so standardly only because of Ezrin. To me, someone who actually studied him quite profoundly at some point, it feels like he just ran out of patterns to play. It was already happening in the original albums (Had a Dad and Pigs in Zen are basically the same; Been Caught Stealing and Standing in the Shower; the fast sections of Ted and No One's Leaving; etc.), but now he just ran out. In Porno For Pyros, the greater variety of drums and percussion items helped him come up with beautiful stuff, but back to a standard drum set there's not much else for him to do. Although I love Banyan's second album, most of those drum patterns are as standard Perk as you'd get. Price I Pay was, to me, the last outstanding drum pattern he came up with. So cool. After that, it's 33% Stephen Perkins, 33% Radio-Friendly Unnamed Rock Drummer and 33% Larry Müllen Jr.
His work in Porno is nuts. Some of the most creative and melodic playing I've heard. Whenever I go back to the s/t I'm always blown away by how much he does in between beats. Shame he fell off. Price I Pay, Strays, and Underground are probably his best works post EA.

someguy

#25 Post by someguy » Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:47 pm

cabangbangq wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:29 pm
Larry B. wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:43 am
Hokahey wrote:

His work in Porno is nuts. Some of the most creative and melodic playing I've heard. Whenever I go back to the s/t I'm always blown away by how much he does in between beats. Shame he fell off. Price I Pay, Strays, and Underground are probably his best works post EA.
What kills me is the clip of Embrace the Darkness sounded like a step in the right direction drum wise. Just a cool tribal trippy beat.

Also in Beneath the Ground even though his drums are heavily edited he is playing what I feel is a really interesting drum part that is ritual-esqe.

At this point there is literally no point in doing a follow up unless Eric is involved. I just can’t see how they would stir up any excitement and I think at the very least Dave knows this.