someguy

Re: 30 Years of Ritual

#2 Post by someguy » Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:52 pm

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.billbo ... nniversary

Perry, Eric and Stephen are interviewed- no Dave

cabangbangq

#3 Post by cabangbangq » Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:55 pm

Ritual is four years older than me and it's still one of the most important albums of my life. My dad turned me onto Jane's when I was 9. I hated NS the first few listens through but at one point, Had a Dad clicked with me and I became obsessed. So we went to Rasputins' record store and got Ritual. I was so excited. And I hated pretty much everything on it the first few listens except Stop and Ain't No Right. Of course, it clicked eventually and when it did, nothing was the same. Ritual challenged and me realize that a band that could rock so hard could be so hauntingly beautiful in quiet moments. I spent most of my youth trying to play those songs on guitar and failing. It wasn't until this year that I could actually play Three Days note for note.

I have more feelings about this album, but you've probably all felt them before. I'm just grateful it exists.

nausearockpig

#4 Post by nausearockpig » Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:40 pm

That’s a pretty good article.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#5 Post by Hokahey » Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:26 am

Eric was pretty complimentary of Perry, while critical about some of his own behavior during 1.0.

cabangbangq

#6 Post by cabangbangq » Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:43 pm

Hokahey wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:26 am
Eric was pretty complimentary of Perry, while critical about some of his own behavior during 1.0.
Pretty interesting that Eric and Ronnie Champagne both mention Perry dictating melodies in studio. Revives the old debate of how much of the songwriting was Perry responsible for. I never would have guessed that Eric was following orders in Classic Girl.

somethindalisomethin

#7 Post by somethindalisomethin » Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:26 pm

I have never seen that photo before

Noonesshocking

#8 Post by Noonesshocking » Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:02 pm

I guess the root of Eric’s issues with Jane’s is the fact that he maybe had a “lesser” role for Ritual. But that’s kind of ridiculous - three days alone should really be enough if we assume Perry hummed everything. As for classic girl, yeah that’s surprising. Put the thing in the chorus, I wouldn’t be surprised if Perry hummed the basic notes and Eric embellished by adding that drone note.

Anyway, I can’t help but feel he should have just been a bit more willing to go with the flow a little bit. He’s responsible for principal parts for tons of classic songs, he’ll always be a huge reason for their greatness. It wasn’t a big deal that Perry hummed a bunch of shit in the grand scheme of things :noclue:

SR

#9 Post by SR » Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:17 pm

cabangbangq wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:55 pm
Ritual is four years older than me and it's still one of the most important albums of my life. My dad turned me onto Jane's when I was 9. I hated NS the first few listens through but at one point, Had a Dad clicked with me and I became obsessed. So we went to Rasputins' record store and got Ritual. I was so excited. And I hated pretty much everything on it the first few listens except Stop and Ain't No Right. Of course, it clicked eventually and when it did, nothing was the same. Ritual challenged and me realize that a band that could rock so hard could be so hauntingly beautiful in quiet moments. I spent most of my youth trying to play those songs on guitar and failing. It wasn't until this year that I could actually play Three Days note for note.

I have more feelings about this album, but you've probably all felt them before. I'm just grateful it exists.
Thx for this, for real. I had the same feelings about NS. I bought the cassette because I 'knew' a couple of the players. I hated it. I could not digest it. And then I did. So cool you learned the parts. And SO cool that there was a connection to your dad. My kiddo had no choice. He was raised with them Born 1995

kv

#10 Post by kv » Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:33 pm

Welcome back :tiphat:

cabangbangq

#11 Post by cabangbangq » Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:43 pm

SR wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:17 pm
cabangbangq wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:55 pm

Thx for this, for real. I had the same feelings about NS. I bought the cassette because I 'knew' a couple of the players. I hated it. I could not digest it. And then I did. So cool you learned the parts. And SO cool that there was a connection to your dad. My kiddo had no choice. He was raised with them Born 1995
I was born in 1994, so definitely a similar experience. My dad got me NS to drag me away from Thin Lizzy and Def Leppard and the like, which is where I was headed because I was AC/DC and Zeppelin obsessed. I don't think my dad expected it would become such an important album for me and that Jane's would be my musical north star, but I guess things happen. How'd your kid take it?

SR

#12 Post by SR » Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:03 pm

He adopted it as normal I think. I'd have to ask him. JA was so part of my life that I am not sure he had a chance. There was a a great deal of music and other art I really wanted him to experience.

Your dad sounds similar. Thank god he distracted you from DL! Funny, I used to teach and I would sometimes have music playing when classes started....my stuff Baker, Coltrane, JA, RHCP. MC5, Iggy, and some classical. An old student reached out to me recently as I apparently said DL was the worst band to ever achieve mainstream success. I went on to say they were was a conspiracy of white execs to make the worst band possible a million dollar act. I still don't completely disbelieve it.

If your able, I would love to hear your version of 3D or any other JA covers.

SR

#13 Post by SR » Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:13 pm

you're* of course

Larry B.

#14 Post by Larry B. » Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:50 pm

someguy wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:52 pm
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.billbo ... nniversary

Perry, Eric and Stephen are interviewed- no Dave
That was pretty cool, and actualle made me remember how good they were.

Also, is Casey audible in Classic Girl? If so, I’d never noticed nor guessed. Or maybe her track was recorded but never actually added to the mix?

SR

#15 Post by SR » Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:43 am

kv wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:33 pm
Welcome back :tiphat:
:tiphat:

Stickyfingers

#16 Post by Stickyfingers » Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:11 am

Noonesshocking wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:02 pm
As for classic girl, yeah that’s surprising. Put the thing in the chorus, I wouldn’t be surprised if Perry hummed the basic notes and Eric embellished by adding that drone note.
Classic Girl it's "borrowed" from a Bauhaus song, Hope.

Regarding Of Course, in 1989 Perry was listening a lot Camper Van Beethoven.

"good artists copy, great artists steal" :thumb: